Questions Welcome Here!

New here. So hope I can post this here. I have been looking into a missing 14 year old, 1997. I came across some information about someone, that I think could possibly be involved. How do I verify what I've found?

New here. So hope I can post this here. I have been looking into a missing 14 year old, 1997. I came across some information about someone, that I think could possibly be involved. How do I verify what I've found?

First, please pass the information to LE! Verifying that information is LE's job.

Is there a thread here for the missing child? If not, start a thread with as much information as you can -- location, date, name, and the situation with links to a main stream media or LE source.

Welcome to Websleuths!

jmho ymmv lrr

just that. verify. corroborate what you know to be true. inform LE (Law Enforcement) never put yourself in a dangerous situation of course

Is there a place where the abbreviations used on WS are listed? I looked on FAQ, but did not see it there or anywhere in the Rules, Etiquette or New Member posts. Obviously I know WS = WebSleuths and LE = Law Enforcement, but what does MOO mean? What does BBM mean? I know it will be obvious and I will feel silly after finding out, but I have to ask. Maybe a list can be added to FAQ for us newbies? Thanks!

Is there a place where the abbreviations used on WS are listed? I looked on FAQ, but did not see it there or anywhere in the Rules, Etiquette or New Member posts. Obviously I know WS = WebSleuths and LE = Law Enforcement, but what does MOO mean? What does BBM mean? I know it will be obvious and I will feel silly after finding out, but I have to ask. Maybe a list can be added to FAQ for us newbies? Thanks!

Websleuths Lingo

Hi. I hope this is the right place for this question. Is there a Forensic Science forum? (I searched, but none came up). There are details of a case that are graphic, and I thought it might be a good idea to keep them off the main thread page. So far, the details have been contained to off-site pages, with advisories posted with the links. If there isn't a dedicated Forensic Science forum, is there one that would be appropriate? Thanks in advance.

Hi. I'm hoping someone can give me some direction. I'm trying to find information about a murder case from 1976 or 1977. They were neighbors of mine and I only remember their first names and the approximate time frame and I know the address.

I've made attempts to look in old newspapers and I contacted the sheriff's department thinking they might have people who remembered. The person there was very rude and told me there were privacy laws. I thought if you went to prison after having confessed to a murder, you kind of lost some of that...but...what do I know.

Any ideas on other avenues I can pursue to find information? I'm presuming that it was too early to put anything on the internet and searches for the address and type of murder have not returned anything.

Thanks for help you can offer.

If you know the address, can you look up the history of the owners? That's assuming that they owned the house. Search for property appraiser in your county, or some such name. Look on the county tax website and see what you can find.

If you can get the owners' names, your internet search might be more effective.

I'm surprised you didn't find anything in the newspapers. Have you tried newspapers.com? You can get a trial subscription for a week or so. Have you asked for help at the local library? They might have some newspapers on microfiche that are not on newspapers.com or other online sites.

I’ve looked all around the site but can’t find the correct page, I’m sure it is not this but maybe you can direct me to the right place please?
When I have a private conversation, I get an email each time someone posts a reply and I want to stop this happening as it’s clogging up my internet In box with hundreds of replies. Do you know where I can sort this ? Many thanks in anticipation x

I’ve looked all around the site but can’t find the correct page, I’m sure it is not this but maybe you can direct me to the right place please?
When I have a private conversation, I get an email each time someone posts a reply and I want to stop this happening as it’s clogging up my internet In box with hundreds of replies. Do you know where I can sort this ? Many thanks in anticipation x
CANCEL my enquiry
I’m sorted x

Hi all, I'm somewhat new. I was wanting to know can you be blocked from a discussion thread? One I was commenting on has disappeared. I don't believe I did anything to be blocked, and have received no notification stating I have been. It's just weird it's completely gone.

I am no expert or authority so take this as my opinion/belief of how it works. Your posting privileges can be blocked on a particular thread, but I don't think that means you can't see it, only that you can't respond to it. In the cases I have seen where a thread has completely disappeared is when the person was found safe so the thread was removed, or for special reasons(like family asked it to be taken down)a thread had to be removed. I highly doubt you were banned from seeing a thread but to check and be sure, log out and view the site as guest. See if you can find the thread as a guest.

I am no expert or authority so take this as my opinion/belief of how it works. Your posting privileges can be blocked on a particular thread, but I don't think that means you can't see it, only that you can't respond to it. In the cases I have seen where a thread has completely disappeared is when the person was found safe so the thread was removed, or for special reasons(like family asked it to be taken down)a thread had to be removed. I highly doubt you were banned from seeing a thread but to check and be sure, log out and view the site as guest. See if you can find the thread as a guest.

Thanks for your reply. I'll give that a go

Hi all, I’m only new here and have been following a case locally that has now moved to located missing persons… it has a blue arrow and lock symbol in top right corner of case name.. what does this mean please as it seems to be the only one like it in the folder.
Many thanks

Hi all, I’m only new here and have been following a case locally that has now moved to located missing persons… it has a blue arrow and lock symbol in top right corner of case name.. what does this mean please as it seems to be the only one like it in the folder.
Many thanks

I think it means it locked for review and editing. Possibly some posts have gone against the terms of service. Other times I've notice this happen the thread is usually back by the next day. If it's the thread I've been following it sucks because theirs been further developments since its been closed

I think it means it locked for review and editing. Possibly some posts have gone against the terms of service. Other times I've notice this happen the thread is usually back by the next day. If it's the thread I've been following it sucks because theirs been further developments since its been closed
Thank you I think it probably is the same one. I found in the next thread related to the same case it was because names etc were posted. So heartbreaking and incomprehensible! However the story was too suspicious right from the start.

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

This is regarding a very old unsolved murder. The investigation has gone cold but the detectives and PD working the case will not accept outside help (private investigators, other agencies, etc.) as the case is technically still open.

A member of the murdered person's family has a copy of the autopsy report. It was accidentally leaked and was sent to her, unredacted, many years ago. She has not shared it with anyone, but she has read it. I do not know ANY of the details, but apparently the autopsy report details something that was done to the deceased that this person believes would have taken two people to do.

I've taken an interest in the case and I'm wondering if there are any forensic experts that I could get in contact with that would be able to look at the autopsy report and confirm (or not confirm) this suspicion. Any ideas of where to start? Thank you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back