Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it determined that BM had a burner phone or a second phone?

No confirmation, but the AA states something interesting. There were no calls between Barry and Suzanne from February 7th to May 4th. Almost 3 months without one call? I feel like he had a second device, or maybe they weren’t together?
Also in the AA-on Mother’s Day, Barry texted Suzanne at 3:15-“call me”. No response. Two hours later, Jeanne Ritter called Barry to report Suzanne missing. Did he try Suzanne? Nope. He waited another two hours, and only after receiving a call from the CCSO, did he try to call Suzanne. An hour at the hotel, and another hour driving in his truck, before he thought to call Suzanne. It doesn’t sound like he expected her to pick up.

My understanding of the AA (and whatI hope reasonable jurors will also conclude) is that while LE found no burner phone, there was enough cell phone data to indicate he had one.

My theory is that Barry had at least one burner well before he murdered Suzanne. Probably used them for many years for different reasons - "meet cute girls," his pervy internet searches, shady business transactions, and research and plan a murder, and enlist the help of Sho in some way, at least to coverup.

opinions only

No confirmation. There was an unidentified electronic device that connected to Barry's iPhone 91 times (page 42 of 129) from November 30th, 2019 until May 12, 2020 (the day Barry was digging in the trash at the Poncha Springs market.

I believe this was the SG 11 Mini DV (page 107 of 129) camera they found a manual for in a bathroom drawer. Also in the AA (page 95 of 129), Barry says Suzanne thought there were camera's in the stuffed deer head's eyes. Barry being the evil jerk he is, I think he did have the mini camera (it's a little bigger than your finger tip) spying on her in the house. Another reason to be obsessively watching his "trail" cams.

So how many other areas in Chaffee County don't have a good enough signal to monitor BM's ankle gps? Is it just the PP area or are there more areas with poor cell/gps service? How is this going to work even if he has to move to SD's house? He's free to roam Chaffee County, right? Quite sure that won't include all the poor cell/gps areas, but where are they all? Or, don't they care?

JMO

Certainly not a SD defender but could she have been in the area on that day because she’s a cleaning lady for homes located nearby?

Sure it is possible. I just think when we look at the big picture, she happens to be there cleaning on Mother's Day.. cleaning a rental that I don't think was being rented because covid was shutting this down at that point. Also, Barry happened to be working on Mother's Day this same day, AND his wife goes missing while she was left alone on that day? There are all of 3 or 4 homes total in that little area.. just seems like a lot of things that happened to be that day. Then at some later point that woman that happened to be working and cleaning that day meets Barry and they start a relationship?

Certainly not a SD defender but could she have been in the area on that day because she’s a cleaning lady for homes located nearby?
I could maybe believe that, but what I can't believe is that she'd know whether a vehicle was suspicious or not or belonged there or not. Aren't there air bnbs in the area? Seems like there would be many different vehicles motoring around looking for their air bnb and coming and going. MOO.

So how many other areas in Chaffee County don't have a good enough signal to monitor BM's ankle gps? Is it just the PP area or are there more areas with poor cell/gps service? How is this going to work even if he has to move to SD's house? He's free to roam Chaffee County, right? Quite sure that won't include all the poor cell/gps areas, but where are they all? Or, don't they care?

JMO
I don't get it. A condition of BM's bond is that his location is monitored at all times by his angle gps. If he can't be monitored, why hasn't he been pulled in by LE? Or is it the judge who is giving his OK to this noncompliance? If so, judge has been beyond lenient. IMO

Revisiting BM's arrest affidavit cos I thought it referenced Cushman property as the one BM parked up at and crept round to his and Suzanne's home when SO was visiting, but I read this again on Pg 55 about TK - who was told BM may want to buy backhoe attachment in Sept/Oct 2019, but BM doesn't buy it, BM shows interest again May 9th 2020 about backhoe attachment - 6 months later. Just kinda made me think whether BM had thought about making Suzanne disappear previously but didn't go through with it.
Also, I don't believe the first time SD and BM first met ever was in October 2020.

Re backhoe. Maybe this was a tool BM coveted and on May 9, 2020, he had the financial wherewithal to purchase it?

You’re right, @Murphy1950, BM did not call the Ritters. How could I forget that BM did not want to be involved in those early LE interactions? I must be getting old(er).
I think the FF that contacted GD was Tim Nelson. Wasn’t he the one who commented on the fact the LE would not allow the FF’s to participate in the search?
When Bertram talked about BM pacing around and looking out windows, I mentally pictured BM gazing out across the river towards PP from the Ritters. He could keep his eyes on things from there.
I thought when it became clear that BM would not be getting back into his house anytime soon, he made the move to GD’s house. I believe he stayed there until he got back to PP after LE released the home. If I recall, LE had a cruiser parked at 240 and Hwy 50 for a while to keep out the lookie lou’s. 240 is also where the CO Fire Camp is located.
Damn I hate that growing older stuff, however I am aware of the options, so I’ll roll with it. You are 100% correct on the Tim fellow (so who’s getting older? )

From day one the Ritter's declined all interviews. You would think if they thought Suzanne in danger they would be out there asking for help, sharing their concern. I would guess at the time, the media would have been beating down their door, who else was available to address that situation?

Thought it was interesting in the AA on page 70 SA Grusing later told Barry that Suzanne told Jeanne Ritter not to come over to have coffee that week, and by that wording it seems to me like it was a weekly ritual. But they obviously did meet from what we heard in the PH. Apparently it was Jeanne who asked to check the house, not that Barry asked her…..

Page 20 AA

While on the jobsite, Barry explained that his neighbor, Jeanne Ritter, called him and explained' _ still could not reach Suzanne. Jeanne, who has the access codes for the house, asked to go check the house. Jeanne discovered Suzanne's car was there; however, her mountain bike was not.

I have a feeling Jeanne Ritter probably knew the score.

To that end…Barry could have stayed there with the Ritter's, I just didn’t think so, I certainly could have it wrong. Your comment. “So, he could keep his eyes on things from there.…” makes total sense to me. That would definitely be a Barry move at that time.

JMO
Prosecution argued he was a flight risk. So the judge ordered him to stay in Chaffee county. I have to assume the monitor operates enough that the court would be notified if he strayed too far. Yes he can cut off the monitor but then he also violated his bond conditions. He is not under house arrest from my understanding so is coming and going as needed within Chaffee County.

I'm rather confused. The Ritter couple... what's HER name, and what's HIS name?

In one place I read it's Jean (female) and Martin (male) and in other places I've read it's Gene (male) and Martine (female).

Can someone please point to an accurate source on this?
Of no surprise, I believe it was the DM that first introduced a female neighbor as Jeanne R:

Friends said they asked neighbor Jeanne Ritter, 70, to check on Suzanne when they couldn’t get hold of her and it was Ritter who later called the police to report her missing.

Ritter declined to comment when approached by DailyMail.com.

Summer Stehle, 43, the stepmother of 17-year-old Macy’s best friend, said: ‘The neighbors up there are spread pretty far apart but the only reason they found out [she was missing] is because the girls called the neighbors and said, ''we never heard from Mom – can you go check on her?''

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online 5/20/20

ETA: AA pg 3. 911 Dispatcher first identified caller as "Scott Ritter" and AA correction as "Martin Ritter."

Husband Martin phoned dispatch to report SM missing and his wife Jeanne went to PP to search for SM.

Last edited:
So here is the question that has me stumped - when LE went to visit with SD after arresting Barry out on the highway, over by the anytime fitness, and SD started deleting info from her phone, couldn’t this be viewed as impeding an investigation - allowing LE to seize the phone and get a subpoena for her iCloud etc/ ?? I guess I am finding it hard to believe that they cannot find the burner - or burners - esp in such an unpopulated area JMO

Maybe the trial will shed light on this. From the AA, I had the impression that evidence collection was ongoing and some results weren't available at the time, andmaybe some things were intentionally withheld. I also believe Barry was good (or lucky?) at destroying what he thought was key evidence. He thought he could get away with murder if no body was found and if he destroyed his burner, amongst other things...Suzanne's phone, her diary, etc. I also think he burned evidence in the fireplace.

Even with the above evidence gaps, I strongly believe there's more than enough evidence to convict him. I'm still hoping that SD and/or the daughters crack. If SD has any sense, she should get a competent attorney, ask for immunity, and spill all. I would think by now Colorado juries are weary and disdainful of husbands killing wives with the help of the other woman.

my opinions only

Last edited by a moderator:
ITA, SD's cell records were definitely examined by LE. As well, I think FB's cell phone records were examined too.

Wonder if those cell phones were close to each other at any point on the 9th or the 10th?

JMO

I think both Barry and Sho had murder burners, and got rid of them in May 2020. This may be why we have limited info on location data of their main phones.

Thankfully both are a bit dimwitted and did strange and suspicious things on their main phones also. I guess it's hard to remember to keep murder business only on the burner. Sho deleting phone info in front of LE was basically holding a flashing neon sign over her head saying, "please look into this further, it is highly incriminating."

Yes, I agree. It’s unlikely that SD was there, if she was in fact there at all, on that day. Chaffee County covers over 1,000 square miles, so her assertion that she was there at the exact location/time of Suzanne’s disappearance stretches credulity.

The deletions from her phone are a strong indicator of an attempt to cover up some knowledge of guilty behavior, her’s or Barry’s or both.

According to SD's AA, she's being accused of stalking behavior of another resident at both her home and workplace. I think it's possible that SD could have been looking for chance encounters to meet and/or be around BM as early as May 2020 if not before.

Placing herself near PP on Mother's Day could be both to cover for herself if she was stalking BM back then and also to help BM today.

When Barry did his snow angel on the mountain mesa, we all thought he was overcome perhaps by exhaustion or some human form of grief.

I have a different theory. I think it wasn't grief; it was relief.

I think he'd disappeared her -- and in that moment, he knew it worked. I haven't yet determined just what it is yet, but he knew she was gone and he thought he was home free.

My short list: minshafted, planyed or plated.

He was hot for the mountain lion for a reason. Baiting it perhaps? Bet Barry knows exactly how many days a deer lasts for a mountain lion.

Suzanne, what did he do to you?

There's a sadness in those mountains now...

JMO

JMO
Still Missing - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #84

Maybe the trial will shed light on this. From the AA, I had the impression that evidence collection was ongoing and some results weren't available at the time, andmaybe some things were intentionally withheld. I also believe Barry was good (or lucky?) at destroying what he thought was key evidence. He thought he could get away with murder if no body was found and if he destroyed his burner, amongst other things...Suzanne's phone, her diary, etc. I also think he burned evidence in the fireplace.

Even with the above evidence gaps, I strongly believe there's more than enough evidence to convict him. I'm still hoping that Sho and/or the daughters crack. If Sho has any sense, she should get a competent attorney, ask for immunity, and spill all. I would think by now Colorado juries are weary and disdainful of husbands killing wives with the help of the other woman.

my opinions only
RBBM
And, therein lies the problem! SD has NO sense or else she would not find herself in the situation she is in and the charges she is now facing. I wonder if BM, the cheapskate, will leave her to fend for herself, OR, will BM the big spender hire a competent attorney for her as he has done for himself? We’ll know soon enough!

Like others here, I have a VERY hard time believing they only met in October 2020, at a dumpster no less :rolleyes:. And, we’re to believe that she saw a “suspicious” vehicle in the PP area on MD?? That might have been important if SM hadn’t been murdered on May 9th, which most of us are convinced of. Just too, too many coinky dinky things surrounding BM and SD to give her a pass.

This woman has serious issues and it doesn’t surprise me that she hooked up with a narcissist that has VERY serious issues. I understand entirely why someone would put a restraining order on her. She gives me the creeps. Can you imagine being stalked by someone who is “attached” to a murderer?

RBBM
And, therein lies the problem! SD has NO sense or else she would not find herself in the situation she is in and the charges she is now facing. I wonder if BM, the cheapskate, will leave her to fend for herself, OR, will BM the big spender hire a competent attorney for her as he has done for himself? We’ll know soon enough!

Like others here, I have a VERY hard time believing they only met in October 2020, at a dumpster no less :rolleyes:. And, we’re to believe that she saw a “suspicious” vehicle in the PP area on MD?? That might have been important if SM hadn’t been murdered on May 9th, which most of us are convinced of. Just too, too many coinky dinky things surrounding BM and SD to give her a pass.

This woman has serious issues and it doesn’t surprise me that she hooked up with a narcissist that has VERY serious issues. I understand entirely why someone would put a restraining order on her. She gives me the creeps. Can you imagine being stalked by someone who is “attached” to a murderer?
BM can't recall anything important during interviews, but he knows the exact date of meeting SD the first time (Oct 25th)??? Probably he knows the time of day also. Who wants to believe this? Laughable. IMO

When Barry did his snow angel on the mountain mesa, we all thought he was overcome perhaps by exhaustion or some human form of grief.

I have a different theory. I think it wasn't grief; it was relief.

I think he'd disappeared her -- and in that moment, he knew it worked. I haven't yet determined just what it is yet, but he knew she was gone and he thought he was home free.

My short list: minshafted, planyed or plated.

He was hot for the mountain lion for a reason. Baiting it perhaps? Bet Barry knows exactly how many days a deer lasts for a mountain lion.

Suzanne, what did he do to you?

There's a sadness in those mountains now...

JMO
bbm
The Mine-Shaft Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads