Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
BL told the Moab police that he was concerned that she was going to leave HIM. This was the part when he made the now infamous statement that he didn't have a phone--he said he was thinking she was going to leave him, and he didn't have a phone. I took that to mean he didn't have his phone on him and she would take the van and his phone, which I assumed was in the van. I never heard GP say she thought he was going to leave her, she seemed more concerned that he was telling her to calm down.

What kind of B S is this though!? Everything BL said he was afraid of... that's what HE did to Gabby! He took her van and phone and keys and tried to leave her.

Gabby stated that BL kept telling her to calm down, he was belittling her vlogging. I also suspect his feet and the flies they attracted were driving her nuts.

He was victimizing her. She should have let him drive off with her van and reported it stolen.

He took off and has evaded capture for a month. I don’t believe that he killed her because of a fight or an argument. I believe that he killed her because he was done with her. (MOO) BL had a plan and just waited for the opportunity to kill her and leave her in an isolated place.

The plane trip to Florida and back was for preparation.
He needed to remove her belongings from his parents house and probably told them that GB was crazy or on drugs, or that she dumped him for someone else.

I think he returned to Utah for the sole purpose of killing her. I am not saying that this makes any sense to a reasonable person but a narcissist (MOO) can greatly overestimate their ability to control what happens by deciding how they want it to happen. They think that their lies are so good that those lies become their reality.

MOO
I think he was so obsessed with "owning" her and keeping her down at his pathetic level that he stole her keys when he flew to Florida, making sure she wouldn't make friends or go on without him. Can't prove it, but I do think that's what happened.

When Brian went missing did his parents.give.LE his dads tee shirt or.scent to follow in the preserve? The dog.would follow dads.scent. and LE would think they were.tracking Brian!
the dad said he sent there searching for him! Right?
Just a thought

My guess is that the Moab separation was different than the separation for BL to return home. Some DV savvy people have suggested GB feared the Moab separation could have escalated BL’s anger & she feared the aftermath wrath. As for the trip, I’m in the camp that BL’s parents were concerned enough about the Moab stop, they asked him to return home to “cool off” & see for themselves he was OK to return (clearly they were fooled/ wrong). I also keep wondering if GB knew something or discovered something during BL’s absence that became a threat to BL. It is possible this crime was an accident, or a fit of rage or premeditated based on something she knew/discovered. Nothing will surprise me at this point. All conjecture…
I’m thinking he was under some kind of legal supervision that’s expunged. Maybe the Moab incident required him to report to supervision? Maybe he had been ordered from another incident to go through anger management? Juvenile incidents?

What kind of B S is this though!? Everything BL said he was afraid of... that's what HE did to Gabby! He took her van and phone and keys and tried to leave her.

Gabby stated that BL kept telling her to calm down, he was belittling her vlogging. I also suspect his feet and the flies they attracted were driving her nuts.

He was victimizing her. She should have let him drive off with her van and reported it stolen.
we have no proof he tried to leave her and alot of evidence he was dependent on her. He tried to distance himself from her. First by walking away, and then by locking himself in the van. Nowhere did I see he tried to drive off and leave her.

IMHO, he's holed up in a cabin, but I am not committing to it being in NY State.

Imagine this: What if BL arranged to rent a cabin or vacation rental cottage for a period of time - say, 2-3 months, using an assumed name and paying for it with one of those prepaid cards we have discussed. Then he takes off for his hike, leaving his scent at the Reserve, and hitchhikes to his destination. He empties all of the food out of his backpack, and goes to the nearest convenience store to replenish his staples. He could be sitting pretty, watching the game right now, nowhere near where anyone is looking for him. And he could stay there for quite some time. I don't think that is beyond the realm of possibility. MOO

Upstate New York is where I would be looking for BL. The Catskills and Adirondacks are obvious areas of interest, but there is a lot of open space upstate.

I would be looking at properties owned by the family/relatives, especially ones that are deceased.

IMO

I’m thinking he was under some kind of legal supervision that’s expunged. Maybe the Moab incident required him to report to supervision? Maybe he had been ordered from another incident to go through anger management? Juvenile incidents?
I didn't hear about it, if it did.
It would certainly have led to the creation of a record though, a record that should have been visible to any LE agency that looked for it, with both their names upon it.

That should have been pulled up when the original Missing Person report was generated.
This is what causes me some alarm.

Upstate New York is where I would be looking for BL. The Catskills and Adirondacks are obvious areas of interest, but there is a lot of open space upstate.

I would be looking at properties owned by the family/relatives, especially ones that are deceased.

IMO
Presumably, so would the FBI. jmo

LOL if he doesn’t have much more than a Fanny pack full of stuff like that and his bare feet, he’s not going to survive anywhere but a KOA campground.

Thank you for sharing this!

My mind goes over and over the possibilities in this case. Sometimes they're out there, lol. But not always.

1. Assuming he is alive and has help, BL needs (at least):
- to interact with as few people as possible
- to avoid being recognized
- fake ID
- access to food and potable water
- a place to sleep
- access to a vehicle
- escape routes, if need be
- internet access/free wifi
- cash transactions
- proximity to helpers

2. Native American tribes have cabins for rent on their land. BL may have seen or heard of these. Maybe the law is different there regarding whether a fugitive can be arrested there if their crime wasn't committed on NA land?

Interesting fact--REI.com uses Native American place names when giving store locations. I imagine BL knows that.

3. If you search for cheap accommodation on the site hipcamp.com, you see rougher, more isolated places available. Perfect for such a fugitive--fewer amenities = fewer people around. A helper could funnel the payment via a gift card or an app.

Why would the Moab incident trigger any sort of supervision? He was (rightly or wrongly) deemed the victim of the incident by the Moab police.

https://www.scribd.com/document/525514584/Petito-Redacted

Yes we don’t know what was in their heads, but if he was wanting her to get some space away from him, to calm down, one way from that to happen is for him to remove himself from the van. During this incident he was in charge of the van, he was driving he was the one trying to lock her out. It appears in the Moab video that he goes to the driver side door and gets his phone out at the timestamp at 41. He could’ve easily pulled the van over grabbed his phone and walked away.

Thank you for posting the video.

About 21:06

Police Officer: He [the witness] saw the male trying to lock her out of the vehicle. She even told us that he was trying to lock her out and tell her to go take a walk. So that she was trying to get in. She eventually couldn't get in and actually clawed her way in through the driver's door. He says "I don't understand why she's doing that." Well, I think it's because it was the only door that wasn't locked that she can get through. So, she's trying to get in over him. He's trying to disengage from her. I guess he hung her backpack on the back, probably so she would have her *advertiser censored*. So that he didn't have to engage with her.

Last edited:
First, just a disclaimer: I’m happy to find out facts of this case as they come out and everything is subject to change.

I personally don’t believe BL is in Carlton Reserve until someone can confirm a more concrete reason for thinking that besides that the parents said he went there. It makes no sense to me that he’d be there, but I’m definitely not privy to the information LE has (I hope). Unfortunately at this point, I’m having trouble believing the parents, SB and the NPPD so I do need something confirmed for me to get on board with that.

I think the biggest issue with anyone finding him is the head start he has. If he hasn’t used credit cards, it seems like it’s just a waiting game for someone to either see him or for him to slip up. I love that @Tiff23fr mentioned Maslow’s hierarchy of needs earlier because I don’t think he’d be able to prioritize art or his love for the outdoors at this point because a rational man would be strictly in survival mode.
JMO.

Dave Faherty
@FahertyWSOC9

Watauga Co- the National Park Investigative Services Branch is overseeing the death investigation along the Blue Ridge Parkway. They say the body was found at the Yadkin Valley Overlook north of Blowing Rock. No cause of death yet. I just took this video along the BRP.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1447274538123894786
11:55 AM · Oct 10, 2021

Body recovered on Blue Ridge Parkway near milepost 289

BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY — National Park Service dispatchers received a report from a park visitor of a body near an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway on Saturday, Oct. 9, at approximately 1:14 p.m.

Law enforcement rangers responded to the scene and located a deceased male at 1:19 p.m., below Yadkin Valley Overlook at milepost 289.8.

Cause of death is unknown, and an investigation is underway led by NPS Investigative Services Branch with assistance from the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation.

No further details are available at this time.
No updates on identification

Could someone please help me find the photo of BL and his Dad out hiking - BL has a multi-day pack on. I have googled this but cannot find it, however I saw it here. IIRC Rickshawfan was commenting about the off-center way he was wearing the belt.

I'm asking because if BL truly is a devotee of the barefoot Arizona survivalist Cody Lundin, then I think he is wearing the fanny pack that Lundin says you should never be without -a survival pack. If he is following this it could explain why he showed up hitchhiking with what only appeared to be a tarp IMO.
That looks like someone’s fantasy of a “survival kit” (air quotes), not something that would actually let you survive. Most of those items are on “10 essentials”. Most humans need clothes and some kind of sleeping solution. They also need other humans to provide what’s not in the kit.
This is a guy who can’t go camping without eating at restaurants and who runs home to mommy when he’s done something stupid.

Pro tip: If you want to get into overnighting with meager supplies, go with a local mountaineering club with old timers in it (NB “Old timers” doesn’t mean “thirty somethings) and maybe some SAR or retired SAR. Listen to their stories. They’ll teach you what you need to facilitate survival. It’s not a fishhook in an Altoids can.

When Brian went missing did his parents.give.LE his dads tee shirt or.scent to follow in the preserve? The dog.would follow dads.scent. and LE would think they were.tracking Brian!
the dad said he sent there searching for him! Right?
Just a thought
Attorney Rick Stafford released a statement that said, “All of Gabby’s family want the world to know that Brian is not missing, he is hiding. Gabby is missing.”

‘Brian is not missing, he’s hiding’: Search continues for fiancé of Gabby Petito | WFLA

Thank you for posting the video.

About 21:06

Police Officer: He [the witness] saw the male trying to lock her out of the vehicle. She even told us that he was trying to lock her out and told him to go take a walk. So that she was trying to get in. She eventually couldn't get in and actually clawed her way in through the driver's door. He says "I don't understand why she's doing that." Well, I think it's because it was the only door that wasn't locked that she can get through. So, she's trying to get in over him. He's trying to disengage from her. I guess he hung her backpack on the back, probably so she would have her ****. So that he didn't have to engage with her.

the second sentence should say "and tell her to go take a walk" instead of "and told him to go take a walk"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get