Found Deceased FL - Miya Marcano, 19, Arden Villas apts, Orlando, 24 Sep 2021

agreed. not to defend them in anyway bc they do handle cases v poorly, I was beaten & almost abducted in downtown orlando and my detective couldn’t find anything despite all the cameras in the area…. But with the lack of evidence early on, they had no reason to suspect the poi until the Arden Villas gave them reason days later.

however, the press conference yesterday didn’t sit right with me. Mina says the apartment looked clean according to deputies, but the family said there were clear signs of struggle (blood on sheets, broken jewelry on floor, bedroom door was barred). Also, he says Miya was already dead by the time they were alerted about her but that’s not necessarily true since cause of death hasn’t been confirmed.

Bc they found her purse near her body, I think it’s possible she was alive and left her apartment with him that evening… Maybe, he was even supposed to take her to the airport which is why her bag and blanket was also in his possession. She was found shirtless, tied up around her arms, legs, and mouth taped. I think she was dumped alive, maybe suffered a heart attack or dehydration. Idk. My mind is going so many places. Wish he was alive to say what triggered him. This case is getting more confusing with every update.
I’m so sorry about what happened to you!
I was badly attacked in Orlando when I lived there too. <3

Okay so the timeline was not what I expected. He was back and forth into Arden Villas quite a few times which is so odd to me. I mean I’ve read that some criminals get their ‘Jones’ from being back at the crime scene and feeling like they know something that other people don’t know-ie her family and LE. Something just doesn’t sit right with me about this entire case. I have the strange suspicion that he didn’t do this alone? It seems like a lot. I know they said she was a tiny little thing but the moving her out the window in broad daylight? I can’t see it. The missing phones that they were looking for? Were they ever accounted for? I can’t tell from the video but how did he look when they (the family) saw him at 3:30am? I remember reading somewhere that he had fresh scratches on his arms and face….I’d quote the article but honestly I’ve been reading so much on this case I totally forgot to note down my source . He went to all this trouble to tape her up and then dump her somewhere? It’s pretty troubling. Will the PD have to reveal the cause of death or is it up to the family? (I’m in a whole other country so I’m unsure how that works :) That timeline really seems sparse. I know a lot of people were saying that there is a thriving ‘human trafficking’ trade in the area where she was and I wasn’t thinking along those lines initially but now I feel like that is kind of making more sense. A kidnapping gone wrong scenario type thing? I follow her aunt and her dad on IG (their posts recently have been nothing short of heartbreaking honestly!) and it could be nothing but her aunt keeps posting along the lines of ‘it hurts me so much what they did to you…’ and even that has me feeling like maybe this guy had help…..all of this is MOO :) Just getting some thoughts out there trying to understand, if that is even possible as the main culprit is already gone.

agreed. not to defend them in anyway bc they do handle cases v poorly, I was beaten & almost abducted in downtown orlando and my detective couldn’t find anything despite all the cameras in the area…. But with the lack of evidence early on, they had no reason to suspect the poi until the Arden Villas gave them reason days later.

however, the press conference yesterday didn’t sit right with me. Mina says the apartment looked clean according to deputies, but the family said there were clear signs of struggle (blood on sheets, broken jewelry on floor, bedroom door was barred). Also, he says Miya was already dead by the time they were alerted about her but that’s not necessarily true since cause of death hasn’t been confirmed.

Bc they found her purse near her body, I think it’s possible she was alive and left her apartment with him that evening… Maybe, he was even supposed to take her to the airport which is why her bag and blanket was also in his possession. She was found shirtless, tied up around her arms, legs, and mouth taped. I think she was dumped alive, maybe suffered a heart attack or dehydration. Idk. My mind is going so many places. Wish he was alive to say what triggered him. This case is getting more confusing with every update.

I am so sorry that happened to you in Orlando.
Your comments are very insightful. I don't know how anyone could know this soon if she was alive or dead at the time his phone pinged at the location where her body was found. Maybe the Sheriff knows something and more information will be released soon. It's beyond horrible to think he left her there alone and still alive and she died because no one found her in time. It's been bothering me that they focused the search in New Smyrna just because he spent more time there. They knew he was in the Tymber Skan apartments for a short while. It would have been nice if they sent someone to check it out right away, they would have found her sooner. The pieces are starting to come together. I just hope we get to hear enough to understand what happened and I truly hope some changes are made to prevent maintenance workers from having "open access" to renter's homes.

I don't remember seeing anywhere that the release of the info is what pushed him to kill himself. I feel like the fact that the family and LE were involved so early scared him. He knew eventually they would find the info about the key. Maybe he didn't know she was going out of town so he figured he had a couple of days before someone reported her missing.
i think all of these are exactly right.

IMO master key policies are often very lax, usually because it's considered inconvenient to control the key. The more senior employees feel they are too busy to be bothered with controlling access to the master key ie signing it out to someone.

IMO the only way this could have been prevented is if he had not had access to the master key: Miya didn't encourage him, or go anywhere with him , or do anything to compromise her safety, but because he had the master key, she was helpless to prevent this.

It's very difficult for young women to complain about men who have an unwanted crush on them. It's usually considered a compliment. I remember when I was young, there was some very creepy behaviour that I didn't feel I could bring to anyone's attention, I just tried to freeze the person out, not make eye contact, etc. It's something that goes on under the surface in millions of young women's lives, all the time. She may have felt creeped out by him, but his employer wouldn't be able to fire him for that reason.

I do think that organizations have to realize how risky it is to give employees unrestricted access to other people's homes.

I hope her death brings full attention to the problem with master keys. In most apartment complexes, maintenance workers have one. At one time they were checked in at the end of each work day, but I believe this policy isn't enforced any longer. To think numerous strangers have keys to residents apartments...24/7...is very frightening and unsafe. I hope some lawsuits are filed because of what happened to Miya.

I was now able to view the entire press conference (by the Sheriff). Unfortunately life with a toddler is not very conducive to crime solving :,( Just a few things that stood out…
1) Of course who is Tati? They have his cell phone records and they would have the time that he interacted with the deputy so it should be easy to pinpoint who was the person he was speaking to while with the Deputy and answering the questions her family were peppering him with.
2) The Sheriff keeps saying there was nothing they could do to save her because she was already dead and dumped by the time the video released by the family was taken (3-4am Saturday) however in the same breath he is saying that they are unsure of the cause of death. I know it could be that they know more information than they are releasing at this present moment but they obviously know where she was killed and if she was deceased before she was taken from her apartment.
3) I saw somebody mentioned it above but it is unbelievable to me that Tymber Skan was not one of the first places they checked for Miya as soon as they got his phone records. I understand he spent quite a bit of time in NSB but I think first priority should have gone to those places he visited in the first few hours that she was missing.
4) I’ve been trying to think of why this case is hurting me so much and why I am struggling to understand it and I feel like she reminds me so much of my daughter The quintessential Caribbean gurl, outgoing, loves to laugh, loves to dance and always smiling…..my LO even looks a bit like Miya in her younger pics. I’m really feeling this one for her family my god.

• Miya Marcano's family has released a video showing a conversation they had with Armando Caballero - the person of interest - hours after Miya went missing
  • Caballero, 27, said: 'Don't try to make this like I'm a stalker... But until we figure out what's going on just don't beat me up'
  • Miya's off-camera family members can be heard saying: 'You're fascinated with Miya...you have sent obsessive texts to Miya. We have all seen the texts'
Miya Marcano's family hit out at sheriff's office over handling of case | Daily Mail Online

I hope her death brings full attention to the problem with master keys. In most apartment complexes, maintenance workers have one. At one time they were checked in at the end of each work day, but I believe this policy isn't enforced any longer. To think numerous strangers have keys to residents apartments...24/7...is very frightening and unsafe. I hope some lawsuits are filed because of what happened to Miya.
Even if a person does not want to be responsible for their active self defense, doors can be bolted. It may be a violation of a renter's agreement to do so but (like counting oneself as a statistic when considering gun ownership) blindly following rules at all times can also at some times greatly increase one's level of risk.
  • Miya Marcano's family has released a video showing a conversation they had with Armando Caballero - the person of interest - hours after Miya went missing
  • Caballero, 27, said: 'Don't try to make this like I'm a stalker... But until we figure out what's going on just don't beat me up'
  • Miya's off-camera family members can be heard saying: 'You're fascinated with Miya...you have sent obsessive texts to Miya. We have all seen the texts'
Miya Marcano's family hit out at sheriff's office over handling of case | Daily Mail Online
I can't bring myself to watch this video and not just for the sake of the family's pain at knowing they had the opportunity to save her, but for the thought that in a tribal society that guy would have been dragged out right there and beaten. If any of my loved ones were ever to disappear it would be very difficult for me not to end up separated from my family as well for immediately and grievously assaulting any obvious suspect.

Texas Avenue runs right next to the Tymber Skan condo spot where her body was found. So it's a high traffic area. I suspect that he was in that area an extremely short amount of time. To someone just looking at phone data, that condo area might not have registered as a key spot to search. There are at least 2-3 other apartment developments right next to Tymber Skan. In fact, one of my students lives in Lemon Tree and saw the police responding when they found her body. The perp's phone phone probably pinged near dozens or even hundreds of spots worth searching. I'm guessing they focused on areas where they know he spent a significant amount of time.

Keys in general aren’t always very safe. Years ago, I moved from a house to an apartment complex several cities away. My HOUSE key worked on the APARTMENT door!!! It freaked me out and made me wonder how many other generic keys were floating around out there that could open my door. Creepy. Don’t have a clue how to solve that problem though.

Anyways, I agree with you that policies need to be updated in apartments. It’s very scary to think that multiple people can gain access to a renters home at any time. My least favorite aspect of renting.

Texas Avenue runs right next to the Tymber Skan condo spot where her body was found. So it's a high traffic area. I suspect that he was in that area an extremely short amount of time. To someone just looking at phone data, that condo area might not have registered as a key spot to search. There are at least 2-3 other apartment developments right next to Tymber Skan. In fact, one of my students lives in Lemon Tree and saw the police responding when they found her body. The perp's phone phone probably pinged near dozens or even hundreds of spots worth searching. I'm guessing they focused on areas where they know he spent a significant amount of time.
they said he was there for 20 min

Her brother posted on his FB that the family has evidence she was deceased at the apartment. Sad sad. Not sure if I’m permitted to share but it is a public post so anyone who goes on his profile would be able to view.
i dont know his name tho :( but no we cant post here

A celebration of life will take place Wednesday, Oct. 13 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and her funeral will be held at 11 a.m. on Thursday, Oct. 14.

Miya Marcano’s family announces funeral arrangements and memorial foundation in her honor – WFTV

FBXJmzyXoAAkz8X

FBXIN9fWYAEBon1

I was looking through the timeline photos and saw a photo of where a blue tent was set up (#13 of 16).
Photos: Timeline: Search for Miya Marcano in Central Florida
Looking at the road, trees, and concrete areas, that image showing the blue tent appears to correspond with Google map's 2021 satellite image of the edge of Lake Catherine behind 2421 Barkwater Drive. Not really sure of the value in finding this location. I was just curious where she was found and this finding doesn't even mean that is where she was found. It's all just super sad.

I was looking through the timeline photos and saw a photo of where a blue tent was set up (#13 of 16).
Photos: Timeline: Search for Miya Marcano in Central Florida
Looking at the road, trees, and concrete areas, that image showing the blue tent appears to correspond with Google map's 2021 satellite image of the edge of Lake Catherine behind 2421 Barkwater Drive. Not really sure of the value in finding this location. I was just curious where she was found and this finding doesn't even mean that is where she was found. It's all just super sad.
Good sleuthing!
Yes, it’s all so sad. I don’t even know what to say anymore. :(

Just a strange thing I saw recently. In the video where her family is interrogating Caballero and saying all her friends from the complex were out helping look for Miya those first few hours and nobody knows Tati. If you google the entire picture of her in the red jersey that was widely circulated when she was missing check out the name on the Starbucks cup she’s holding For a moment I was doubtful Tati was a real person but clearly she is….

From the article - BBM
"Investigators now believe Caballero used a master key and was waiting inside Marcano's apartment on the evening of September 24. Her cause of death hasn't been determined but Mina said there was no indication of sexual assault."

This is news to me. Is there another source that she wasn't sexually assaulted?

From the article - BBM
"Investigators now believe Caballero used a master key and was waiting inside Marcano's apartment on the evening of September 24. Her cause of death hasn't been determined but Mina said there was no indication of sexual assault."

This is news to me. Is there another source that she wasn't sexually assaulted?
"There is no indication that there was sexual assault of any kind" and the cause and manner of death are yet to be determined by the medical examiner's office, Mina said.
Horrifying new details in Miya Marcano case: 19-year-old was found with hands, feet bound with duct tape

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back