Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad they have a clear picture of what happened. I'll be back when they find his femur in some random hiking swamp. Hopefully the FBI Denver gives a full report on what happened and there's an independent investigation into how NPPD lost him. But I think he's dead. I hope I'm wrong but I think he's dead.

I think he is, too. And I believe his family thinks so.

It is illegal but will they actually arrest and indict them?
That's another issue.
They might. I see it happening.
Who did they mislead when they said he departed Tuesday but it was really Monday, apart from the entire watching world?
What were the consequences for the searchers?
What were the consequences for the investigation?
I don't know if this is a crime or how this crime might be classified but it could be serious enough.

Also, if all else fails and they become convinced he is alive and watching, they may just arrive and take them away in an effort to impel him into taking an action.
(he's no hero tho', in my view so, it's unlikely he'd step up for his parents or anybody at all.)

The FBI are gonna need to step up and embrace the public they need to help them find him. I'nm bored with second guessing them.
If they want help, they need to give us a few crumbs.

As I posted a few times, I don't and never expected them to go for Murder 1. I believed and still do that there will be proof problems. This is why it was dumb of him to run. Because he keeps adding counts to any eventual indictment. Bad advice, if that advice was given. MOO

Oh, I expect any day now, we might see a clean shaven, backpack toting, healthy, smiling BL walking out from the swamp saying: OMG! Why didn't anybody tell me?!?! NO! Not Gabby!!! (insert cry here) This has all been a misunderstanding!!!! Who towed my car? The reason I haven't been seen for days is I had to walk home. I wasn't on the run. What would I have been running from?

Cassie and her husband set up the scene for this when Cassie's husband said: "We don't even know if he is on the run".

That friendly chat they had with the protesters was to set the narrative.

all moo.

Apparently, strangulation and domestic violence is not uncommon in Wyoming and often go hand in hand (check out online Wyoming defense counsel ads. Pretty unsettling IMO). They even have a dedicated statute for it. I wonder what this might do to the jury pool. Hmmmm.

If he was tried under state law and had not killed her, he'd only get 5 years maybe less if he had no priors. MOO WY Stat § 6-2-509; WY Stat § 35-21-102 (iv)(F)

2011 Wyoming Statutes :: TITLE 6 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES :: CHAPTER 2 - OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON :: 6-2-509. Strangulation of a household member; penalty.

Oh, I believe this will treated as a Federal Law, not state.

MOO

Um, I hate to say this, but the Palm Beach County State Attorney is wrong about this. Speedy trial clock doesn't start to tick when charges are filed. It starts to tick when the defendant is arraigned.
Thank you, I didn't know this. I assume that in most situations there are only a few days between the two events, but some cases obviously have differing circumstances.

:p:p
Thank you, Auntie, because I am still confused about this. My real question is whether prosecutors would delay accusing BL of murder because they are required to meet some specific time requirement that might jeopardize their charges. Ha ~ you can clearly see I'm a real legal eagle ~ Not! :D
I hope the legal eagles have replied to you (I'm reading the thread now) but as far as I know there are only the two kinds of deadlines affecting the first steps of the judicial process -- the statute of limitations and the speedy trial aspect.

Statute of limitations means the length of time since the crime, after which a person can longer be charged with that crime. Example: if the statute of limitations for embezzlement, say, was 10 years (made up for purposes of example), then if an embezzler isn't found out/charged until 11 years after his crime, it's too late, the statute of limitations has expired, and they "get away with it". Murder doesn't have a statute of limitations so that's irrelevant for this case. A person can be tried for murder no matter how long ago the crime occurred.

The speedy trial aspect: If the investigators want months to complete their investigation before they have to be ready to go to trial, or, like with some murder cases, if the victim's body hasn't been found and they hope to find it and use any evidence it provides at trial, they want to charge and arraign the suspect as late as possible in order to have maximum investigation time.

At the same time, they want to get a dangerous person off the street, which is why you'll sometimes see someone charged, like BL is, with a lesser or white-collar crime just to get them off the street, and while the court process plays out for that lesser crime, the investigators can be building and making airtight their legal case for the more serious crime without worrying the suspect will flee or commit more crimes.

How'd I do, legals?

MOO

Question for lawyers and legal peeps:
Is it true that Brian's parents can't be charged with aiding and abetting a fugitive until AFTER that person has been charged? And his parents would be off the hook for their actions before Brian was charged?

For example, Brian was charged with credit card fraud. Does that mean his parents could only be culpable for aiding and abetting the credit card fraud ONLY?

Do we have to wait until there is a official charge of murder for Brian's parents to be legally culpable? And even then, the parents are only culpable for actions taken ON or AFTER the date he was charged?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure I'm using the word "charged" incorrectly...

Question for lawyers and legal peeps:
Is it true that Brian's parents can't be charged with aiding and abetting a fugitive until AFTER that person has been charged? And his parents would be off the hook for their actions before Brian was charged?

For example, Brian was charged with credit card fraud. Does that mean his parents could only be culpable for aiding and abetting the credit card fraud ONLY?

Do we have to wait until there is a official charge of murder for Brian's parents to be legally culpable? And even then, the parents are only culpable for actions taken ON or AFTER the date he was charged?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure I'm using the word "charged" incorrectly...
If all that’s true, I hope laws will be changed because of this case.

Obstruction of Justice?
Trouble is, if they only helped him initially in his disappearance, he wasn't a wanted fugitive. He could go anywhere he wanted and they could drive him there. Where he went after that, they may not know. But after the federal charges, any help for him in his hideout is a crime. They DID tell FBI that they last saw him on the 13th (changing that from the 14th) and that he SAID he was going to the reserve. If in fact they took him to the reserve or dropped him off a hundred mi. away, they have lied to the FBI and that's a crime, too. We shall see. jmo

Thank you, I didn't know this. I assume that in most situations there are only a few days between the two events, but some cases obviously have differing circumstances.

I hope the legal eagles have replied to you (I'm reading the thread now) but as far as I know there are only the two kinds of deadlines affecting the first steps of the judicial process -- the statute of limitations and the speedy trial aspect.

Statute of limitations means the length of time since the crime, after which a person can longer be charged with that crime. Example: if the statute of limitations for embezzlement, say, was 10 years (made up for purposes of example), then if an embezzler isn't found out/charged until 11 years after his crime, it's too late, the statute of limitations has expired, and they "get away with it". Murder doesn't have a statute of limitations so that's irrelevant for this case. A person can be tried for murder no matter how long ago the crime occurred.

The speedy trial aspect: If the investigators want months to complete their investigation before they have to be ready to go to trial, or, like with some murder cases, if the victim's body hasn't been found and they hope to find it and use any evidence it provides at trial, they want to charge and arraign the suspect as late as possible in order to have maximum investigation time.

At the same time, they want to get a dangerous person off the street, which is why you'll sometimes see someone charged, like BL is, with a lesser or white-collar crime just to get them off the street, and while the court process plays out for that lesser crime, the investigators can be building and making airtight their legal case for the more serious crime without worrying the suspect will flee or commit more crimes.

How'd I do, legals?

MOO
Answered my question perfectly. Thank you, Auntie Cipation!

He keeps the FBI and LE at bay and having to make an appointment to go to their home. Having an attorney is how BL was able to escape under LE’s noses. Because the parents refused to let LE speak to their idiot son. They could not have - would not have had the gumption to do that - without their attorney protection and advice IMO.

In other words the attorney functions like a prophylactic.

I think it was the police due to neighbours receiving letter with $20. I thought B.E was going to report on it…can neither find a copy of supposed letter, nor a broadcast from B.E… thread is moving too quickly
After the broadcast, I accidently left the t.v. on CNN. They were reporting that the FBI was "swarming' the Laundrie's home. I was on my way out so I didn't see anymore. I haven't seen anything about it since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member