Antonino Coppola, 23, London, 16 Sept 2021 ** MEDIA, TIMELINE - NO DISCUSSION**

AcbMurders

Reaction score
16 Sept 2021
13h approx. - Antonino Coppola (AC) is travelling by tube to Bromley-by-Bow with C., close friend and flatmate, both from Positano, Italy. They are moving house and have suitcases with them. But shortly before reaching their destination, AC says he feels sick and they get off at Bow Road. AC tells his friend to stay on the platform with the luggage whilst he goes looking for a toilet. In C.'s words when interviewed on the phone by TV programme Chi l'ha visto of 29 Sept:
He said "don't come with me or you'll have to take the luggage with you". I waited on the platform. Half-an-hour, 25 mins later, I started to worried and I went out wilth all the luggage. In the first camera where we could see Antonino, you can see he vomits, lifts his head, walks and turns round. Because there you see that he vomits but afterwards it's as if he turns is head for fear that people might have seen him vomiting. But why did he not return to the station afterwards?

17 Sept 2021
9.45h - Richmond Upon Thames police's first appeal:
Antonino Coppola aged 23 hasn't been seen since 16/09/21.
Antonino is Italian, is slim build & 6ft tall. He was wearing a white t-shirt, black trousers and orange Nike trainers.
Believed to have gotten off a train at Bow street at 1300 and hasn't been seen since. (source: Richmond Upon Thames Police | Facebook )

20 Sept 2021
The Mirror publishes an article with quotes from AC's mother. Mum of missing man, 23, 'dying' to find him as disappearance is 'out of character' - Mirror Online

Chi l'ha Visto publishes details of AC's disappearance, including a photo of his backpack. Although in Italian, the basic details are fairly clear. The bottom paragraph says:

Antonino, 23, from Positano, has lived and worked in London for a couple of years as manager. On Thursday 16 September, at around 13h, he got off at Bow Road railway station and from that moment there have been no news about it. He did not return home. It is not known if he had his ID with him or his mobile phone which appears to have been turned off. He speaks English very well.

22 Sept 2021

21.30h - Chi l'ha Visto first live appeal and interview with AC's mum Translation of appeal and conversation between journalist Emily de Cesare (EdC) and Mariella, AC's mum:

EdC: Good evening everyone, we are here in Positano because Antonino is from Positano. As you can see, there are many friends here supporting the family, including the major, because there is really a lot of concern. Antonino went missing in London, on Thursday 16 September. Mariella, your son has been living in London for two years, he speaks the language well. Antonino was in a good place, he was very happy because he had found a new job and the day he went missing, he was going to live in a new house with a friend. What happened was, whilst on the train with suitcases, at one point Antonino told his friend that he felt unwell, he was about to throw up and could not hold it back any longer. His friend said "Let's get off at the next stop, so you are not sick here (on the train)". When they got off, Antonino said "Wait for me here with the suitcases and I go looking for a toilet". Well, Antonino exited that tube station which is called Bow Road Station, there is a camera that has captured him going out (of the station) feeling unwell, but then he's out of the picture and we don't know where he went. The only thing we know is that he turned right. As we were saying, there is a lot of concern as the presence of all these people demonstrates, Antonino is a happy young man, he hasn't got any problem, but he had some health issues the week before. What happened, Mariella?

Mum: Antonino has allergies, he's asthmatic and he goes through phases when his asthma flares up. Antonino had left his inhaler at home, they were on the tube and he had an asthma attack, so they got worried, they called an ambulance and he was taken to hospital where he received treatment straight away and he was fine, as I spoke to him afterwards...

EdC: So only a week earlier he had felt unwell. That day he told his friend again that he was unwell, but the problem is that he's vanished into thin air. Even the Italian Consulate in London has become involved, they have been looking for him, also in hospitals, but unfortunately, there are no news about Antonino. He had ID documents with him in his backpack. When he left the tube station, he was carrying his backpack. We don't know if he felt unwell later, put it down somewhere and someone found it. We can also show a photo of the backpack. If anyone finds it, could they please contact us, as it would be important. At least we might understand which way he went. We know there's a large community of Italians following us in London. So we're appealing to them in the first place: if anyone in that area, Bow Road Station, knows someone, maybe shops with CCTV, if they could check whether Antonino walked past and see which direction he took, that would be important. Mariella, as a mum, she was saying that it's a living nightmare. Because there absolutely no reason why Antonino should have gone away. Also, he speaks (English) well, he's well-travelled, right?

Mum: Yes, he has travelled. He went to Australian before he turned 19 and stayed there for six months. He's smart, he knows how to relate to people, he's not an introvert, he's an extrovert. Our worry is that he felt unwell because he had no reason to leave his friend there with the luggage. As a mum, I'd ask anyone who happened to be in the area and saw Antonino leaving the station, feeling unwell, please call. Put yourself in my shoes, please... anyone who maybe now looks at Antonino's photo, if they have seen him, please call.

EdC: And another thing, mum is here but dad and brother are in London. So, any Italian who is watching us, if you have friends in London, please share Antonino's photo as much as you can. We're live, so if any important information comes through, we can communicate these immediately to your husband and your son. Because they are doing everything they can. The hope is that maybe Antonino hasn't been traced yet, because he didn't have ID on him...

Mum: Maybe he lost his backpack, maybe he's in hospital and they don't know who he is. Maybe by looking at the photograph, they can identify him. That's my hope tonight.

EdC: We have a photo of the backpack. It was on 16 September at around 1pm. His friend waited for about 20 mins below on the platform then he started looking for him immediately, he looked all around and after a couple of hours he alerted the family straight away. Therefore, the search, as much as possible, started at once and the family was informed.

Mum: That day Antonino was wearing a white top, black trousers and orange Nike shoes. And a black leather backpack which he never parted from.

EdC: All his friends, everyone in Positano has started to share the news on social media. I have been in Positano since yesterday and people have been telling me how they have contacted anyone they know in London. That has not been enough so far, which is why we are appealing to everyone watching us to share Antonino's photo, it's very important. And if you know anyone in the area, if they can look at CCTV. At the moment, we don't know what they are doing in London, but as we know from experience, the more people look and search, the more likely is that we find Antonino. (...)

Mum: Antonino is never still: "Let's make fettuccine by hand, let's do this, let's do that"... here I made a video of him making fettuccine pasta by hand.

EdC: Everyone has told me, not just the family, that Antonino would have never gone away without letting the family know, so there's a lot of concern, because there's evidently a danger that something has happened to him. Also because there's CCTV showing him going out of the station and feeling sick. It's very clear to those who saw the CCTV that he was very unwell. We don't understand why he did not go back.

29 Sept 2021

21.30h - Chi l'ha Visto second appeal, not live this time. Below are key points (sorry, no time to translate every word):

• Still no news about Antonino’s whereabouts.
    • Antonino's friend, C., gives a brief account of what happened in a phone interview (see translated trascript at the top of this thread - 16 September) and it is mentioned that C has posted appeals on Instagram.
    • It’s confirmed that he turned right as he came out of the station.
    • Last week’s appeal generated a great response, esp. people wanting to help, both in London and in Italy, appeals has been widely shared, but no concrete leads.
The whole episode of 29 Sept is available at Chi l'ha visto? - RaiPlay until Wed 6 Oct. You need to register to watch Rai programmes but it’s safe and easily done from UK. For Antonino’s case you must fast forward half an hour or so into the programme. Hopefully, there will be a direct link to the specific clip after the main episode has been taken down.

Wed 6 Oct 2021

https://news.met.police.uk/news/updated-appeal-to-locate-missing-man-last-seen-in-bow-434986
upload_2021-10-7_11-31-30.png
Police are appealing for help to find a man who has been missing for almost three weeks.

Antonino Coppola, 23, was last seen on Thursday, 16 September leaving Bow Road Station in the direction of Mornington Grove, E3 after he told a friend he felt unwell.

Antonino left his luggage with a friend, and has not been seen since.

Detectives have released three new images taken at 12:46hrs on 16 September as he walked out of Bow Road Station at the last time he was last seen.

His disappearance is out of character, and his family and friends are growing increasingly concerned for his welfare.

Antonino, who is Italian and had been living in London for the past two years, is described as 6ft tall and of slim build. When he was last seen, he was wearing a white T-shirt, black trousers and orange Nike trainers.

He is known to have links to parts of south west London.

Detective Inspector Sian Hutchings, leading the investigation, said: “Antonino’s disappearance is completely out of character and his family and friends are desperate to hear from him.

“Over the last three weeks we have been carrying out extensive enquiries to try and locate Antonino, including reviewing a large amount of CCTV footage and speaking to those who knew him in London. I would appeal directly to Antonino to get in contact so we can let them know you are safe and well. I would also ask anyone who has seen Antonino or knows where he is to get in touch.”

If you can help police find Antonino then please call police via 101 quoting reference 21MIS028497. You can also contact the Missing People charity anonymously on 180 000.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 45F9F1D3-DAD2-4EA5-A260-E53824CAB99E.jpeg
    45F9F1D3-DAD2-4EA5-A260-E53824CAB99E.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 7
  • D5AF1B5B-D1ED-4E6B-8A5C-CC02F184AB0B.jpeg
    D5AF1B5B-D1ED-4E6B-8A5C-CC02F184AB0B.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 6
  • BFADB497-4A33-4A1B-946A-39AD58A079D7.jpeg
    BFADB497-4A33-4A1B-946A-39AD58A079D7.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Note: on google translate the Italian MSM from Thu 7 Oct states: ‘where he passed away’. This seems to be a mistranslation and is more akin to: from where he went missing, or from where he disappeared. I have not seen any news or police information/reports that indicate he has passed away (which means deceased/dead).

Note: on google translate the Italian MSM from Thu 7 Oct states: ‘where he passed away’. This seems to be a mistranslation and is more akin to: from where he went missing, or from where he disappeared. I have not seen any news or police information/reports that indicate he has passed away (which means deceased/dead).
You’re right, it’s a mistranslation. Google translate can be quite inaccurate, so as an Italian/English speaker, I prefer to do it myself and share But in the Positano News article of 7/10 there was nothing new, just a repeat of the latest police appeal.

Chi l'ha visto? 2021/22 - Cosa si nasconde dietro la scomparsa di Antonino Coppola a Londra? - 29/09/2021 - Video - RaiPlay

Translation of 22/9/2021 broadcast:

Federica Sciarelli, programme anchor:

We told you about this young man, Antonino, who felt unwell leaving a tube station. This is how his story and disappearance began. Antonino could be anywhere. Last Wednesday his mum was with us making an appeal. It made an impression on you and you have really done everything to bring this young man back to Positano. Although he went missing a long way away, in London. So there’s still a lot to do and we are trying, with you, to find Antonino. With Emily de Cesare (EdC) and Andrea Perini.

Journalist Emily de Cesare narrating:

London: a capital city with nearly ten million inhabitants, with people of all nationalities coming and going. Life moves at a frenetic pace, and you are often surrounded by the indifference of those walking past you. But even here it is impossible for a young man to feel unwell in the street, in broad daylight and then vanish into thin air. Gone, disappeared within a few minutes. This handsome guy making fettuccine [homemade noodles] is Antonino. 13 days have passed and no trace of him. The lovely voice and laughter you can hear are mum Mariella’s: “Today: fettuccine! Hi Tony!” The same distraught woman who last week appealed live to all mothers like her, to try and find her son who disappeared in London on 16th September near Bow Road station:

[extract from appeal of 22/9/21].
Mariella: I’m asking for everyone’s help… really… all mums in London, passersby…

Antonino, 23, was born and bred in Positano, a little pocket of paradise on the Amalfi coast. At the age of 18, he decided to leave and gain experience abroad.

Mariella: He has travelled. He went to Australia before he turned 19 and stayed there for six months. He's smart, he knows how to relate to people, he's outgoing.

Antonino speaks English very well. He has been living in London for two years. He works in catering as restaurant assistant manager. The day he went missing he was with his friend Ciro, also from Positano. We see them together here, joking in front of the camera. Since Antonino arrived in London, they have always been flat mates. The day he went missing, they were moving house. Together they took the subway and had their suitcases with them; they were going to the Bromley-by-Bow area. Along the way, Antonino felt unwell and they stopped at Bow Road station. Ciro, Antonino’s pal, explained to us on the phone why he did not go with him:

C.: He said "don't come with me or you'll have to take the luggage with you". I waited on the platform. Half-an-hour, 25 mins later, I started to worried and I went out with all the luggage.

What we know for sure is that Antonino got out of the subway, as he was caught on camera. It was 12.48. He turned right and went in this direction and then vanished into thin air. This is a semi-central district in east London. As you can see, there are a lot of people around, it’s a very busy area. Ciro saw the images of the CCTV cameras that filmed Antonino. Let’s hear what he told us:

C.: In the first camera where we could see Antonino, you can see he vomits, lifts his head, walks and turns round. Because there you see that he vomits but afterwards it's as if he turns is head for fear that people might have seen him vomiting. But why did he not return to the station after vomiting?

So, Antonino was very sick once he got out of the subway. Seemingly, he threw up. Why did he not go back and rejoin his friend who was waiting for him? Maybe he was still too sick and wandered off to ask for help. And then? CCTV cameras show that he was carrying his backpack, which had documents, phone and wallet inside. He might have lost it and perhaps he had no ID on him. If anyone finds the backpack, it would be very important to get in touch with us. Or did someone take advantage of him feeling ill, and he was robbed and hurt? There are many hypotheses, but the main question is still the same: where is Antonino?

British newspapers, such as the Mirror, immediately published the news of his disappearance. Antonino's friends from Positano have all tried to share his photo as much as possible on social media. Even his friend Ciro has launched an appeal on Instagram. Several leaflets like this have appeared in London. The response from CHLV viewers has also been prompt. So many of you have written to us: some have offered to help with the search, others have called our switchboard on the night of the live broadcast, offering immediate assistance. As far as we know, hospitals have been checked, but no trace of Antonino. Unfortunately, despite great efforts from everyone, there have been no sightings. Antonino can’t have been swallowed by this city. He was sick, maybe he no longer had his ID documents on him. But even if something bad happened to him, someone would have found him. How can someone feel unwell, and not only they are not helped, but they even manage to disappear before everyone's eyes and without anyone noticing anything? Antonino must be found.

Mariella: As a mum, I'd ask anyone who happened to be in the area and saw Antonino leaving the station, feeling unwell, please call. Put yourself in my shoes, please... anyone who maybe now looks at Antonino's photo, if they have seen him, please call.

We too renew the appeal to all of you who are following us. London is a metropolis. Antonino is somewhere and you may be able to help the family find out what happened. What lies behind the mystery of this disappearance?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back