TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason Landry: 86 points of interest circled in search for Texas State student

There are new search images in the effort to find a Texas State student who went missing while driving home from school 10 months ago.

<snip>

“We can tell the software ‘hey, find anything that looks like blue jeans.’ It helps to, very quickly, scan through hundreds and thousands of images to find those blue jeans,” said Ferry. “We don’t have that in this case, we believe Landry was naked, which made it more difficult to find color variations.”

Investigators are instead using the color white to find bone fragments across the area where Landry went missing.

“We’re going to go back and determine if those are human remains or critters,” said Ferry.

The thousands of acres have been nailed down to 86 points of interest where investigators believe he may be.

With the help of Texas State Criminology Researcher Dr. Kim Rossmo, investigators have been able to put all of the drone imaging through a computer program that is tracking hundreds of anomalies.

The drone program analyzes those images and looks for color variations in the pictures, according to Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office Investigator Jeff Ferry.

The thousands of acres have been nailed down to 86 points of interest where investigators believe he may be.

“There is nothing to indicate a crime occurred to Jason Landry. We believe Jason was driving in a single vehicle collision, and on all accounts, it looks like he voluntarily left the vehicle and took off his clothes, whether that was because of narcotics or a mental break, we don’t know,” said Ferry.

However, the PI believes otherwise.

ETA: video of the report

Thanks for the link! It looks like they also finally answered this lingering question. bbm

"Investigators also found a backpack near Landry’s car with a “useable” amount of marijuana inside. They first told KXAN the drugs were possibly combined with an unknown hallucinogenic substance. Det. Ferry has since said DEA lab tests did not find any other substances inside the weed."
Yes! I was just coming to post this. It was regular weed—now we know!

After all this time, I think we have to consider the simplest explanation...

We can only guess Jason's frame of mind but I think we can infer some internal struggle, not uncommon for any college kid. Grades, expectation, confusion, disappointment -- none of can truly know what goes on in the mind of another, thoughts that can be further challenged and strained by pressure, whether real or imaginary, exaggerated or not.

Jason packed up his fish. IMO he was planning to go somewhere. (This shows what a tender soul he was.) Perhaps he felt like he didn't want to be at school anymore. For the next few days. Or maybe ever. Perhaps he had things he wanted to tell his parents but didn't have the nerve or the words. (I think back to his dad's words in his first interview, directed father to son -- pleading ..... Jason was so very loved.)

So I think Jason packed up. To go home. He didn't tell anyone his plans because IMO he himself wasn't 100% committed. I think Jason was afraid to let anyone down, but especially his parents. (More evidence of his tender heart. ) So he maybe showered, crammed his day clothes (the shorts and t-shirt he'd been wearing) into his backpack, dressed in some more suited to the weather and driving comfort, stalled long enough and packed up and drove off.

I think Jason may have stopped abruptly at a point, causing his phone to fall in between the seat and console, maybe due to his distraction, the snap hat, resulting in the simultaneous loss of his phone and of Waze.

He continued straight instead of turning, an honest mistake. No one expects to TURN to stay on a road or that staying straight will lead you astray!

I think, after a time, he realized he was lost.

And it impacted him emotionally. Maybe the metaphor of it. And instead of funding his phone and mapping his way out, he may have driven around a bit, getting only more lost, and then beat himself up mentally.... it was closing in on midnight, he may have been very tired -- exhausted even -- add an amount of marijuana and maybe his internal tapes took him to a sad, scary, hard, dark place. It happens.... maybe he spent those unaccounted for, missing minutes contemplating his life and it all felt heavy...

At some point, he was driving along that Salt road.... perhaps deciding he had the courage after all, to say whatever it was he may have wanted to say once he got home.... but....

It was dark, he was tired, he may have been impaired (by darkness, my sleepiness, my marijuana, by emotion and his reaction time might've reflected that. A deer or a moment of accidental slumber might each result in a swerve and a counter swerve, an over correction that frequently results in an accident, just as the tire marks suggest.

He slides into the tree....

We see that as a relatively minor accident (in fact, that seems to be how LE even classifies it) but for a young man, tender like Jason, he may have felt it was more metaphor... Every parent would GLADLY accept a smashed car if the child was safe, but not every child believes that....

I can picture Jason, upset with himself, feeling like he'd be just another disappointment. So he grabs his backpack.... distraught, he walks a ways.... stops, pulls out his daytime clothes, as he searches for something (maybe the fish? Maybe medicine, maybe something else, we just don't know... then he discards the clothing, and walks back toward the car (I can't remember in which order or direction his items were found), eventually drops the backpack too and maybe even this fish, deciding what's the point....

And he just starts walking.... really just not thinking straight.... not faulting him and all. For any if us, sometimes the most risky thing is bring alone with our thoughts -- fear and grief and even feelings of failure or hopelessness can feel so much bigger at night, less so in the light of day, less so when we can bounce ideas (even pain) off others.

Sadly I don't think Jason made it to sunrise.

He just may have made it farther than anyone realized... beyond the search areas....

I wish he could have known how much and how deeply and how many people care about him....

I do hope he's found.

So he can be brought home and laid to rest. Beloved son...

JMO

Yes! I was just coming to post this. It was regular weed—now we know!
Actually, we only know the weed found inside his bag and tested was not laced with anything. That does not imply and/or clear any weed already consumed (smoking or edible) was clean. Unfortunately, only JL's body could have provided that information.

"At the request of the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Search and Rescue (TEXSAR) will return to Caldwell County on Saturday, Oct. 16, for a one-day search for Jason Landry, a Texas State University student missing since Dec. 13, 2020.

The sheriff’s office said it will examine areas of interest along with TEXSAR identified through the use of artificial intelligence and geospatial tools. Resources will include search-and-rescue dogs and drones."

TEXSAR to return to Caldwell County in search of Jason Landry | kvue.com

Probably those 86 points of interest:

"TEXSAR will work with the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office to inspect areas of interest identified by artificial intelligence and geospatial tools, according to a joint release from both agencies.

Search canines, mounted equine search assets, drones and ground searches will be used to investigate those areas Saturday."

Jason Landry: Search organized for missing Texas college student Saturday

So, am I the only one who finds the car damage odd? Maybe I am missing something, but the rear bumper seems smashed from behind, and the front bumper hit on the side, and front (hard to tell IMO)? How did he do that running into a tree? Did he run into a tree with front bumper, then backed up into a tree? And OH MY WORD what a creepy road to be driving at night, must be tons of wildlife to get in the way at least.

So, am I the only one who finds the car damage odd? Maybe I am missing something, but the rear bumper seems smashed from behind, and the front bumper hit on the side, and front (hard to tell IMO)? How did he do that running into a tree? Did he run into a tree with front bumper, then backed up into a tree? And OH MY WORD what a creepy road to be driving at night, must be tons of wildlife to get in the way at least.
Pretty well covered last December 2020:

"The car got off the road and spun around, and the back driver-side trunk, bumper and the side of the car took most of the impact," Cockrell said Thursday.

Police looking for a Texas State University student in Caldwell County

Pretty well covered last December 2020:

"The car got off the road and spun around, and the back driver-side trunk, bumper and the side of the car took most of the impact," Cockrell said Thursday.

Police looking for a Texas State University student in Caldwell County
Don't forget DPS bumbled the investigation in the beginning and CCSO eventually took over. And, it seems to me that the crash scene investigation took place in under 1 hour as that is the amount of time that the DPS Trooper was on scene before the car was towed to the impound lot. AND in the "very thorough" crash investigation that was done Jason's phone was not discovered in the car...because no one entered the car according to CCSO. So, I am a bit at a loss for how this crash was investigated.

Actually, we only know the weed found inside his bag and tested was not laced with anything. That does not imply and/or clear any weed already consumed (smoking or edible) was clean. Unfortunately, only JL's body could have provided that information.
Good point. And something else besides weed could have been consumed. We still don’t know. But had the weed in his bag tested positive for something hallucinogenic, it could have strongly pointed toward a drug induced psychotic episode. But since it didn’t have anything else in it, everything is still on the table IMO.

Probably those 86 points of interest:

"TEXSAR will work with the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office to inspect areas of interest identified by artificial intelligence and geospatial tools, according to a joint release from both agencies.

Search canines, mounted equine search assets, drones and ground searches will be used to investigate those areas Saturday."

Jason Landry: Search organized for missing Texas college student Saturday
What about the Abandoned Oil Tank Investigation Squad? Without that,
there’s really no search!

TW: mentions & personal stories of suicide, detachment from reality, psychosis

After all this time, I think we have to consider the simplest explanation...
SRBM
Meg... what an absolutely beautiful post. I applaud you. And very much agree with the fact that being alone with our own thoughts is the most dangerous place for many of us. I know it is for me. Thank you for your well thought out and heartfelt post. It was a pleasure to read it.

Good point. And something else besides weed could have been consumed. We still don’t know. But had the weed in his bag tested positive for something hallucinogenic, it could have strongly pointed toward a drug induced psychotic episode. But since it didn’t have anything else in it, everything is still on the table IMO.
Hi happyday!

So, a lot of people don't know this, but weed itself can for sure cause psychotic episodes, etc. I cannot smoke weed, period, it triggers massive anxiety within me and has caused depressive or anxious episodes that have lasted weeks at a time (absolute hell, for anyone wondering).

I wanted to be able to smoke weed because all my friends did and they were doing just fine! They loved it! But unfortunately, I have dissociative issues as well as severe anxiety and a history of depressive episodes, as well as a couple of suicidal/almost-killed-myself-but-got-very-lucky instances. Weed makes everything worse for me. I panic in a way that it spirals to be completely out of hand and out of control. If I was in Jason's shoes that night, and I was stoned, I would have almost certainly ended up deceased.

I did have a sort of mental break at 16 and it followed a night of heavy smoking. It was a dissociative episode that lasted for 6 months, with LOTS of paranoia involved. I hardly went to school. I brought a knife into the shower with me if I was home alone because I kept thinking that I was going to die soon or be killed by someone. It was one of the scariest things I've experienced, I know that for sure, but I do not recall very much of that time.

Apparently I'd wake my mom up crying hysterically that I couldn't remember my own name. And my parents didn't really get me help. They had no idea what to do with me. They figured I was being overdramatic or something. I feel like trauma has definitely impacted my ability to function 100% successfully and 'normally', but I am lucky nearly 10 years after that experience to be mostly healed from it and I haven't smoked weed in 3 years - I did try it periodically to see if anything would change, and no, it made my heart rate go to like 170 every time and I couldn't think straight.

Does Cannabis Cause Psychosis?
“Mr Green” is a 39 year-old African-American male with a history of chronic schizophrenia, cannabis use disorder, and alcohol use disorder. He started smoking cannabis almost daily at age 20. When he was 22, he was in a motor vehicle accident while under the influence of substances and suffered a head injury. Several months later, he was hospitalized for a first episode of psychosis (FEP). Thereafter, he participated in a long-term antipsychotic clinical trial.

Over the past 2 decades, there has been extensive research on the association between cannabis and psychosis.

Modulation of the endocannabinoid system by the main psychoactive component in marijuana, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol, can induce acute psychosis and cognitive impairment.

Carney and colleagues investigated the prevalence of cannabis use and its association with symptoms in participants at ultra-high risk (UHR) for psychosis. Across 30 studies (n=4205 UHR), there was a 27% current and 53% lifetime prevalence of cannabis use, and a 13% prevalence of cannabis use disorders (CUD). This corresponded to a 2.09-fold and 5.45-fold increased odds of lifetime use and CUD, respectively, in patients at UHR compared to n=667 controls. Furthermore, UHR cannabis users had a higher prevalence of both suspiciousness (ES=0.21) and unusual thought content (ES=0.27).

Johnson and colleagues11 conducted a large genome-wide association study of those who use cannabis (n=20,916) and controls (n=363,116). They identified 2 loci with genome-wide significance: a novel locus on chromosome 7 (FOXP2; OR=1.11, 95% CI 1.07-1.15), and a previously identified locus on chromosome 8 (near CHRNA2 and EPHX2; OR=0.89, 95% CI 0.86-0.93). Importantly, cannabis use and CUD were significantly, positively, and genetically correlated with schizophrenia in this study.

Szoke and colleagues4 meta-analyzed 29 studies of cannabis use and schizotypy (attenuated psychosis). Lifetime cannabis users had significantly greater scores for total (ES=0.42), positive (ES=0.44), negative (ES=0.18), and disorganized (ES=0.33) schizotypy versus never users. Furthermore, current cannabis users had significantly greater scores for total (ES=0.21), positive (ES=0.23), and disorganized (ES=0.27), but not negative schizotypy scores versus subjects that do not currently use cannabis.

For anyone wondering about schizotypal personality disorder (SPD), here is more information. My brother has it, so I feel comfortable speaking to it. It is difficult to witness your loved one go through paranoia and delusions. Here's some of the common symptoms -

People with schizotypal personality disorder have odd behavior, speech patterns, thoughts, and perceptions. Other people often describe them as strange or eccentric. People who have this disorder may also:

• Dress, speak, or act in an odd or unusual way
  • Be suspicious and paranoid
  • Be uncomfortable or anxious in social situations due to their distrust of others
  • Have few friends
  • Be very uncomfortable with intimacy
  • Tend to misinterpret reality or to have distorted perceptions (for example, mistaking noises for voices)
  • Have odd beliefs or magical thinking (for example, being overly superstitious or thinking of themselves as psychic)
  • Be preoccupied with fantasy and daydreaming
  • Tend to be stiff and awkward when relating to others
  • Come across as emotionally distant, aloof, or cold
  • Have limited emotional responses or seem “flat”

Obviously I don't know if these symptoms describe any of Jason's behavior. I just wanted to provide some information regarding the fact that marijuana can definitely increase your chances of having a psychotic break of some sort yet people always say that it's good for "everyone" when it isn't.

No drug works for every person, and weed can indeed be a dangerous substance for those with mental illness issues.

Sorry for the novel y'all, this is just something I've thought about & researched extensively and wanted to let everyone know!

Attachments

• Table.png
    Table.png
    252.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors