Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #66

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of him [allegedly] not expecting her remains to be found so early:

Does anyone know if BL left before or after the search for GP began in the Spread Creek dispersed camping area? I'm wondering if his [alleged] text "No service, in Yosemite" was a red herring meant to throw the search to Yellowstone* where they were probably headed next. [GP's friend Rose said that she was going to meet up with GP in Yellowstone on/about August 29, but they never finalized the plan.] If searchers had looked in Yellowstone, it would have taken much, much longer to find GP's remains at Spread Creek. If they ever found her.

*I think "Yosemite" was possibly auto suggested and selected as a mix up because they were so far from Yosemite, but had probably planned to go there later and had typed it enough that the phone suggested it as the Y word. I also wonder if BL might be Dyslexic and mix up words like my Dyslexic DH [dear husband] does. I could see my DH saying Yosemite instead of Yellowstone. Looking at the tattoo applications he and GP filled out, his signature is very messy (for lack of a better word) and the handwriting on his application matches the handwriting on GP's application, leading me to believe that she fills out paperwork for him. This is something I do for my Dyslexic husband as he communicates very well but struggles with writing. I don't know if I can link to the article about the tattoo guy that did their tattoos, but if anyone wants to Google it, it's in the Daily Mail (dot com) site: "Exclusive: Tattoo artist reveals Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie got matching finger tattoos of vines to 'represent their love' and gushed about plans for a 'big road trip together' a year before their ill-fated adventure." Dyslexia is not a matter of intelligence, but it would be interesting to me if BL has this because if he relied on GP to do certain things for him (as my DH does on me) it could suggest a level of dependence on her and a feeling of needing her to help him function successfully in certain ways [writing things out, etc.] that could add more depth to how he might feel abandoned if he thought she were going to leave him. Dysgraphia is another trait that could be an issue.

BL returned home to Florida on 9/1. Gabby’s parents reported her missing on 9/11. So he was home and planning his escape long before they started searching for her.

what about the sighting by neighbours - does that post date the camping trip?

It does. It post dates the first camping trip anyway.

Where were they going on the 11th? When they were sighted getting into the camper (apparently). I recall, early in the piece, it being said that they made two camping trips during that week.

I have sometimes wondered if BL came home from that 2nd trip.

Well, if living at home after graduating from high school = immaturity, in the US most young men are "immature." From ages 18-24 56% of women and 60% of men lived with a parent in 2020. So lots of immature women too.

U.S. Millennials living with parents by gender 2020 | Statista

JMO

This whole conversation about living at home just shows age........

In today's world, it is so common. Our kids are now our friends and we do lots of things together... like live together.

So many of these opinions/posts showing such animosity or criticism.... just sound sooooooooooooo 1970s or 1980s...

Where were they going on the 11th? When they were sighted getting into the camper (apparently). I recall, early in the piece, it being said that they made two camping trips during that week.

And LE took possession of van late on 9/11 iirc?

yeppers. me too.

Assuming Brian is alive, I have to think that he has a phone so he can stay aware of the search locations. If that is true, sending in men with guns draws alot of attention to that area. And Brian would definitely avoid it and think he was safe elsewhere.

Maybe the police are setting him up. The men with guns is just a distraction.

Well if he's keeping up with the searches in the news like the rest of us are, then he better be careful he doesn't turn around and run straight into a U.S. Marshall hot on his trail. They are everywhere and nowhere.

I sort of wonder about adult male children who continue to live with their parents after graduating high school. To me, it indicates a lack of maturity. In my family, all the boys were expected to leave home around age 18. My two brothers and I all did so, and very willingly. Of course, this was in the early 1970s. I understand children have become more dependent on their parents since those days. Brian continuing to live with his parents at age 22 indicates to me a basic lack of maturity. His murdering of Gabby is even stronger evidence of his immaturity. Unfortunately for him, he won't have the opportunity to grow out of his immaturity in the future. His immature act in murdering a woman who loved him will follow him for the rest of his life.

Thanks for the reply, and I don't know. I honestly think a lot has changed and that BL's life reflects those changes. IMO, we've been slowly pushing back the age of consent since the 1950s. Look at how healthcare has been modified to accommodate 26-year-old "kids." :) I guess too many 25-year-olds were without health insurance because they were in grad school, racking up student loans and hoping they'll get a great job one day.

Last edited:
100% confirmed? I’d say the people in the campground. Anyone else he may have crossed paths with, really had no need to remember him. Perhaps a neighbor saw him after the camping trip but even those dates seems to be variable depending on people’s memory. If he drove anywhere it’s possible he would show up on a traffic or business camera.

Neighbors say they saw him. I do not doubt their sighting (mowing lawn, bicycling, more than one occasion), but I m not surprised they don't recollect exactly what day it might have been.

Before that, it was the second couple with whom he hitchhiked on his way from Colter Bay back to Spread Creek, where the van was. That was Aug. 29. I believe the Bethune video of the van is the 27th - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Then his license plate is caught on a reader entering FL at 10:36 am on Sept 1. His sister says she saw him on the 6th, I believe (and there is that photo at the campground that looks remarkably like him).

I sort of wonder about adult male children who continue to live with their parents after graduating high school. To me, it indicates a lack of maturity. MOO. In my family, all the boys were expected to leave home around age 18. My two brothers and I all did so, and very willingly. Of course, this was in the early 1970s. I understand children have become more dependent on their parents since those days. Brian continuing to live with his parents at age 22 indicates to me a basic lack of maturity. His murdering of Gabby is even stronger evidence of his immaturity. Unfortunately for him, he won't have the opportunity to grow out of his immaturity in the future. His immature act in murdering a woman who loved him will follow him for the rest of his life.
I understand your point, in fact i got reported for calling BL a bad name for being so dependent and sheltered. I left home at 18 too. But now, i've thought alot about how kids coming home is not that unusual.
Two of our boys are back home (23 and 20). They returned after being alone and Covid and a breakup drove one back, the other decided to join the family business. The other two kids 30 and 28 are doing fine and settled. I looked today and realized I am very appreciative that I get to watch these last two kids who tortured us in their teens, evolve and be participating members of the household. I am totally waiting for them to leave but also see them in a light I never got to see my to oldest in. So BL being home, to me, we don't know why. Having GP move in as opposed to getting his own place is the thing that perplexes me. As a parent, I wouldn't have allowed it. So him being at home alone--not weird. Him having his girlfriend/fiance move in, lends itself to some degree of dependence and immaturity. JMO>. and my own story and viewpoint.

Yes, they took possession of the van, not the camper (the camper and the truck).

Does anyone recall the convo about them making a 2nd camping trip (way back in the threads) and where they went, and for how long?
I remember their lawyer made a reference to it around the same time DTBH released the info about the first trip but I don't think any details were disclosed.
My guess is that it was the weekend before he allegedly disappeared.

Am fast forwarding to when he is found and a trial.
He could say: they had an argument just like so many times before. She had another boyfriend. She said leave me here and he will pick me up. You take van and money and go home. He pushes her. He leaves not realising she has died.
He goes home and says she dumped him. He goes away to clear his head not even knowing she is missing. When he is found he has no idea that Gabby is dead, nor that anyone has been looking for him.
If he sticks to a story like this, let's hope FBI has evidence that he was the actual person who strangled her and DNA. Just thinking outside what most of us suspect. MOO.

I sort of wonder about adult male children who continue to live with their parents after graduating high school. To me, it indicates a lack of maturity. MOO. In my family, all the boys were expected to leave home around age 18. My two brothers and I all did so, and very willingly. Of course, this was in the early 1970s. I understand children have become more dependent on their parents since those days. Brian continuing to live with his parents at age 22 indicates to me a basic lack of maturity. His murdering of Gabby is even stronger evidence of his immaturity. Unfortunately for him, he won't have the opportunity to grow out of his immaturity in the future. His immature act in murdering a woman who loved him will follow him for the rest of his life.
I’m not sure why this applies only to males and no females. But I had to reply because I don’t think that someone with this thought process understands what any young person deals with once graduating HS. Rent in majority of states isn’t affordable on a minimum wage job, nevermind if they have a car payment, insurance, etc etc. Assuming someone will allow them to rent an apartment with little to no credit.Those who decide to go to college-it makes no sense for them to lease an apartment when they’re living in a dorm most of the year. Once they leave college they have to pay back loans and acquire a job. Precovid this wasn’t the easiest thing to do. My oldest graduated with a Masters and came home hoping to get a job and move out. Any offer was the same he’d make at McDonald’s-and he now had $900/mth in school loans. It may have taken him a bit but at 23 he saved up enough to lease an apartment and be able to afford the majority of his bills alone. Thankfully he can still be on our health Insurance or that would be impossible. I’m not saying this to be a jerk, just to explain that things are different now. Living with your parent isn’t necessarily immature-unless of course youre not working or contributing-that’s different. I am not speaking to what BL was doing but simply saying it is possible that he and Gabby were living with the Ls because it was the only option-until they could save up more cash to afford their own place and have more dependable jobs. Although I did see they were working at Publix, I didn’t see that either of them attended any post high school education or trade school. Anyone else?
All JMO

Even if another life may be in grave danger and your information needed to perhaps save that life? Unless the L's knew it was already too late? In which case, is it legal to withhold information about a murder?

Yes, on the grounds that speaking the information might incriminate you. In Florida, there are broader rights for parents not to have to answer questions about children (according to discussion here), but that would not extend to a Federal case.

If one's lawyer believes that nearly anything you could say might be used against you in a court of law, at any point in the future, they can advise you not to speak.

I’m not sure why this applies only to males and no females. But I had to reply because I don’t think that someone with this thought process understands what any young person deals with once graduating HS. Rent in majority of states isn’t affordable on a minimum wage job, nevermind if they have a car payment, insurance, etc etc. Assuming someone will allow them to rent an apartment with little to no credit.Those who decide to go to college-it makes no sense for them to lease an apartment when they’re living in a dorm most of the year. Once they leave college they have to pay back loans and acquire a job. Precovid this wasn’t the easiest thing to do. My oldest graduated with a Masters and came home hoping to get a job and move out. Any offer was the same he’d make at McDonald’s-and he now had $900/mth in school loans. It may have taken him a bit but at 23 he saved up enough to lease an apartment and be able to afford the majority of his bills alone. Thankfully he can still be on our health Insurance or that would be impossible. I’m not saying this to be a jerk, just to explain that things are different now. Living with your parent isn’t necessarily immature-unless of course youre not working or contributing-that’s different. I am not speaking to what BL was doing but simply saying it is possible that he and Gabby were living with the Ls because it was the only option-until they could save up more cash to afford their own place and have more dependable jobs. Although I did see they were working at Publix, I didn’t see that either of them attended any post high school education or trade school. Anyone else?
All JMO

You did a good job explaining the difficulties facing young adults today. I did see that Gabby apparently took some classes in NC at Cape Fear Community College.

I remember their lawyer made a reference to it around the same time DTBH released the info about the first trip but I don't think any details were disclosed.
My guess is that it was the weekend before he allegedly disappeared.

This could be a reference to the later camping trip, because the 11th was a weekend (the 1st trip was 6th & 7th September, a Monday/Tuesday). And the police likely showed up on the 11th, and maybe not on the 6th/7th.

(Neighbour: ) He added that the Laundries packed up and left for the weekend. During that time, the police showed up to Guthrie’s home to ask questions about Petito’s disappearance.
Brian Laundrie’s family went on a camping trip days after he returned home without Gabby Petito

That's why I think either they have a truly terrible lawyer OR that there was not a single truthful word they could say without potentially implicating BL in some manner, however minor.

And I would include phrases such as "I don't know" when asked where Gabby was, if the question was asked on August 11-18. I do not believe that all three Laundries could have truthfully answered "I don't know."

Same for the question of where Gabby's phone was.
Could be both. Terrible lawyer AND nothing they could say that wouldn't get some or all of them locked up.

I don't know the legalities of withholding information about a murder.

I guess the argument would be how do LE know they actually have information about the murder to withhold?

It's that differential between remaining silent because you know nothing or remaining silent because you know a lot.

Does the law entitle a person to remain silent for either scenario? I believe it does.

MOO
Even if one isn't legally required, one is morally required, imo. There is no defense for this in my opinion, no matter how much some people try defend them. Again I ask, if it were your loved one missing and the only people who who could help you blocked your calls and treated you the way Gabby's family were treated, you would not dismiss their behavior as their legal right, in my honest opinion. Gabby lived with that family for two years. Their son came home alone in her van. Her frantic parents were begging them for information.
I am a parent and have imagined myself in both families situations. Of course I would have obtained a lawyer for my child- and a mental health eval. I would inform the lawyer to take the death penalty off the table if possible. In the meantime, I would ask the lawyer to share every bit of information with the parents, that is I would have spoken to them myself. How any other parent could be as repulsive and cruel to a worried mother is beyond my comprehension. Also I do feel they have helped him evade LE , that is my opinion and that is from THEIR actions and behavior. So I do not care how much some people want pass their behavior off as their legal right and claim we can not judge them by their actions . I am not a lawyer and this isn't a court of law. I have a right to my opinions just as others here do. Trying to cross exam posters here as if we are in a court of law and you are defense attorneys is a waste of time because we have a right to our opinions. Just my opinion.
ETA: I would have been worried sick about BOTH of them .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288