Found Safe UK - Antonino Coppola, 23, from Richmond, Surrey, missing from Bow, East London, 16 Sep 2021

It's certainly a long journey and at that time of day - particularly by the time they arrived at Bow Road, I imagine the train wouldn't be too horribly packed. And it was so close to his destination too. Maybe he battled the fear all through the city stops and as soon as the train started to go above ground, decided to get off as no lengthy escalator rides to endure before reaching ground level?

The other thing I considered, which is more serious (and harder to read if you are a family member, so apologies for my speculation, but I do think this is worth mentioning) is that he may have been having a psychotic episode and needed to escape from voices/perception that he was being followed/heard "instructions" that he must escape from his friend and hide. Vomiting is not an uncommon symptom during a psychotic episode. Again, the looking around thing could be a sign that he was feeling paranoid. MOO etc

If AC had a history of such conditions then the initial police response would have been very different. He would been treated as being at significant risk of harm and with the media response to match.

There is nothing to support such theories

If AC had a history of such conditions then the initial police response would have been very different. He would been treated as being at significant risk of harm and with the media response to match.

There is nothing to support such theories
Absolutely agree that there must not have been a history if psychosis/anxiety, as you correctly say the police response would be different had they known that he was struggling.

However, people who suffer from such conditions must have a "first time" that they experience unusual thoughts/frightening feelings. His family and friends have all said that this behaviour is "out of character". He had an episode on the tube one week before, and then this episode where he ran off and left his friend and disappeared. The vomiting/looking around fearfully do support this theory. As does the fact that walking off without texting/calling his friend seems out of character and not the behaviour of the friendly, gregarious, considerate man that his family and friends describe. So I don't think it is impossible to consider that he might have been at the start of an illness that he had not disclosed to others/no one had noticed him having symptoms.

JMOO

New job
New residence
Totally new location in terms of south/north of river
Presumably some connections being left
Phone off

Effort and preparations were put into this move. He had to go out of his way to look into this area which wasn't on his doorstep, and decide if he fancied the whole move. Was it to leave something behind, or was it normal for him to move around and seek out new experiences?

It feels like he was in fear and he may have been followed, hence the reason he looked back.

New job
New residence
Totally new location in terms of south/north of river
Presumably some connections being left
Phone off

Effort and preparations were put into this move. He had to go out of his way to look into this area which wasn't on his doorstep, and decide if he fancied the whole move. Was it to leave something behind, or was it normal for him to move around and seek out new experiences?

It feels like he was in fear and he may have been followed, hence the reason he looked back.

Apparently it is not unusual for young Italians to travel overseas to work and seek out new experiences. Moving between jobs with a country/city is also 'a thing'. It seems to be a rite of passage for those with the means to do so.

Restaurant jobs can come with accommodation in the capital. AC may have been moving quickly and across London to escape a worrying situation as it is not unknown for organised criminality to be associated with some sections of the restaurant trade in the UK.

Absolutely agree that there must not have been a history if psychosis/anxiety, as you correctly say the police response would be different had they known that he was struggling.

However, people who suffer from such conditions must have a "first time" that they experience unusual thoughts/frightening feelings. His family and friends have all said that this behaviour is "out of character". He had an episode on the tube one week before, and then this episode where he ran off and left his friend and disappeared. The vomiting/looking around fearfully do support this theory. As does the fact that walking off without texting/calling his friend seems out of character and not the behaviour of the friendly, gregarious, considerate man that his family and friends describe. So I don't think it is impossible to consider that he might have been at the start of an illness that he had not disclosed to others/no one had noticed him having symptoms.

JMOO

I think it is fair to say that the limited publicity from the police to date does not lend itself to this theory.

An emerging psychotic condition may have the potential to be a risk to third parties. Such a possible risk to public safety would have led to an overt police response and greater publicity.

I am sure that the police will have a clearer picture of the circumstances surrounding this disappearance. I feel the police will be conducting discreet enquiries to locate AC.

MOO, but it seems like the simplest explanation is that he went to go to a bathroom, or somewhere more private. I think this mainly because of the timing, which doesn't lend itself very well to someone deciding to go missing, etc.

He never came back, so (again, just speculating) I think he was either intercepted by someone, or suffered an accident/ailment. I don't believe police have done much in the way of organizing searches of the area, although it's entirely possible that it's because they are pursuing a lead.

This is the same side of London as Bow Street, but almost an hour away on public transport. And is a month, during autumn, long enough to warrant the description ‘badly’ decomposed?
"An hour away on public transport"?
I wouldn't know about that, but it's less than three miles so you could walk it in under an hour.

ETA The 25 bus would get you there in 20 minutes.
Bow Road Station to Forest Gate - 3 ways to travel via train, and line 25 bus
The derelict pub is a bit further along, by the police station.

Probably no connection, but t was suggested that he could have jumped on a bus.

Last edited:
"An hour away on public transport"?
I wouldn't know about that, but it's less than three miles so you could walk it in under an hour.

ETA The 25 bus would get you there in 20 minutes.
Bow Road Station to Forest Gate - 3 ways to travel via train, and line 25 bus
The derelict pub is a bit further along, by the police station.

Probably no connection, but t was suggested that he could have jumped on a bus.

I don’t know the area, I was just going by Google, Bow Street to Romford Road. The Rome2Rio time sounds more like it.

‘Badly decomposed body’ found in derelict east London pub

This is the same side of London as Bow Street, but almost an hour away on public transport. And is a month, during autumn, long enough to warrant the description ‘badly’ decomposed?

Well firstly 'badly decomposed' is not a scientific term for stage of decay who knows what state it means?

Decomposition is very much governed by the environment which a body has been exposed to.

However, a body exposed to air, as opposed to soil, water or concealment, after four weeks with the mild temperatures we have had, would probably be significantly decomposed and well into the fifth and final stage of death, which is putrefaction.

It is not uncommon for bodies to be found in abandoned buildings. More often than not they are those of homeless people seeking shelter. RIP.

Last edited:
Watching with interest, having somehow not seen this development on the thread until now. As @Whitehall 1212 says, it's just as likely if not more so to be a homeless person, but the location obviously makes you wonder. It's been the second warmest September on record in the UK, @Mimi in London. Grim for the builders, whoever it is. PM today, so we should know one way or the other soon.

I also just wanted to add to what @Loopysnoop was saying about psychosis that AC is a classic age for a first psychotic break.

JMO

Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate

Watching with interest, having somehow not seen this development on the thread until now. As @Whitehall 1212 says, it's just as likely if not more so to be a homeless person, but the location obviously makes you wonder. It's been the second warmest September on record in the UK, @Mimi in London. Grim for the builders, whoever it is. PM today, so we should know one way or the other soon.

I also just wanted to add to what @Loopysnoop was saying about psychosis that AC is a classic age for a first psychotic break.

JMO

Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate

Good point. We should hear today. Let us know if you spot anything in the news.

On another point. I saw the Met Police put this up today. Obviously aimed at gangs but could possibly be linked to this case - you never know. We don't know what he was holding in his pocket in the photos going up the stairs.

"If you find yourself involved in a gang or carrying a weapon, you probably feel your life is spiralling out of control, and you are constantly looking over your shoulder. If you need help, support is available: http://bit.ly/2q054uM #KnifeFree #KnifeCrime"

I was having a think about Antonino today and remembered mentioned before that there is a cemetery not too far from Bow station.
I remember when I was exploring a cemetery near where I live (looking for a lost cat) and one of derelict old graves literally caved in so I nearly fell down a huge hole. It is funny to look back on but could have potentially been something far more serious and it makes me worry that something similar could have happened to Antonino. Has the whole of the cemetery nearby been searched. Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park - Wikipedia

The post mortem on the body in the derelict pub is inconclusive (as usual!) at present. I would have expected that they could at least state the sex of the deceased, but the below is all that's been said for now.

Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub

A post-mortem has failed to uncover what caused the death of a person whose body was found in a disused pub.

The corpse was found during building work on the site of the former Simpsons pub in Romford Road, Forest Gate.

Police were called to the site, which is next door to Forest Gate Police Station, just after 3pm on Friday (October 15).

A Met Police spokesperson said: "A post-mortem examination carried out on Tuesday, October 19 proved inconclusive.

"Enquiries remain ongoing."

Last edited:
It's certainly a long journey and at that time of day - particularly by the time they arrived at Bow Road, I imagine the train wouldn't be too horribly packed. And it was so close to his destination too. Maybe he battled the fear all through the city stops and as soon as the train started to go above ground, decided to get off as no lengthy escalator rides to endure before reaching ground level?

The other thing I considered, which is more serious (and harder to read if you are a family member, so apologies for my speculation, but I do think this is worth mentioning) is that he may have been having a psychotic episode and needed to escape from voices/perception that he was being followed/heard "instructions" that he must escape from his friend and hide. Vomiting is not an uncommon symptom during a psychotic episode. Again, the looking around thing could be a sign that he was feeling paranoid. MOO etc

My first post on Antonino’s thread. Excuse me, I’m not all caught up to speed and may be repeating something already discussed.

Couldn’t he simply have felt nauseous from having motion sickness? You mentioned it’s a long journey. Is this train ride a bumpy sort of ride?

I read here that after vomiting he looked around or behind him. But, that seems like it could be a normal reaction after vomiting in public. If I vomited in public, I’d feel embarrassed and self-conscious, and would probably look around to see who noticed me.

I have no ideas as to what could have happened to him after that, though. Such a mystery.

The post mortem on the body in the derelict pub is inconclusive (as usual!) at present. I would have expected that they could at least state the sex of the deceased, but the below is all that's been said for now.

Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub

A post-mortem has failed to uncover what caused the death of a person whose body was found in a disused pub.

The corpse was found during building work on the site of the former Simpsons pub in Romford Road, Forest Gate.

Police were called to the site, which is next door to Forest Gate Police Station, just after 3pm on Friday (October 15).

A Met Police spokesperson said: "A post-mortem examination carried out on Tuesday, October 19 proved inconclusive.

"Enquiries remain ongoing."
Wouldn’t the DNA of this unidentified person be compared with those of known missing people as a priority?

I was having a think about Antonino today and remembered mentioned before that there is a cemetery not too far from Bow station.
I remember when I was exploring a cemetery near where I live (looking for a lost cat) and one of derelict old graves literally caved in so I nearly fell down a huge hole. It is funny to look back on but could have potentially been something far more serious and it makes me worry that something similar could have happened to Antonino. Has the whole of the cemetery nearby been searched. Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park - Wikipedia
No, because there is no evidence to suggest that he might be there, and there aren't the resources to undertake such a large search without such evidence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back