GUILTY CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, found deceased, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

Can you give me the witnesses listed in this article - I can't access as I have no subscription. I did see the mayor listed & police officer before it went blank for me...
TIA! :)

And any other people that took the witness stand on Wednesday - also on Thursday.
Sorry, @Niner -- Greeley Tribune is a paywall for me. I'll check for tweets and see what I can find.

Last edited:
Can you give me the witnesses listed in this article - I can't access as I have no subscription. I did see the mayor listed & police officer before it went blank for me...
TIA! :)

And any other people that took the witness stand on Wednesday - also on Thursday.

From a different link:

The first few witnesses called were Jonelle's family, including her parents Jim and Gloria Matthews and her older sister Jennifer Mogensen. Jim and Gloria Matthews both answered questions about their family's 1978 move to Greeley, Jonelle's feisty personality and their memories surrounding Jonelle's 1984 disappearance.

[..]

Jim attended Jennifer's basketball game that night, so Jonelle got a ride home from her friend and fellow choir member Deanna Ross and Deanna's dad, Russell Ross. Russell Ross testified Wednesday, recalling that nothing seemed out of the ordinary when Jonelle hopped out of his truck, went into her family's darkened home and flipped the front porch light to let he and Deanna know she had gotten in alright.

[..]

Pankey's trial is scheduled to continue over the next three weeks, ending Nov. 5. The jury is set to hear testimony from multiple people, including Pankey's ex-wife Angela Hicks, a neighbor of the Matthews family, one of Jim Matthews' employees who left a phone message with Jonelle before she vanished from her home, a forensic anthropologist and various experts, among others.

Jonelle Matthews case: Testimony begins in trial of accused killer 10/13/21

OCT 14, 2021
Steve Pankey trial: Former officer testifies about Pankey’s arrest for being ‘unruly’ the day before Jonelle’s disappearance – Greeley Tribune
[...]

The second day of trial focused on 13 witness testimonies including Mayor John Gates, then a Greeley police officer, a neighbor, officers involved in the investigation and a former FBI agent.

On Thursday morning, Jonelle’s friend from church, Rochelle Davy, formerly known as Rochelle Baxley, took the stand with information relating to a car on the night Jonelle disappeared.

The two friends were sitting on the bus together during their ride back to Franklin Middle School from the choir concert they sang in on Dec. 20. Davy said the bus was parked outside of the bank on 11th Street facing west, when a car drove past the left side of the bus that “caught their attention.”

She described the vehicle as a smaller, orange-red car. Jonelle in particular seemed startled and agitated about this car, according to Davy’s testimony.

[...]

The orange-red car became relevant later on during the trial when Davy’s father, Russel Baxley, took the stand. Baxley was a family friend to the Matthews and a property manager of the Nazarene church they attended.

[...]

A group of men took him to the parking lot to his European style, orange-red car, according to Baxley. That was the last time he saw Pankey, who eventually stopped attending the church before the Matthews family began attending.

Viorst implied Baxley’s accounts could be unreliable due to his never being asked about the color of Pankey’s vehicle until 47 years later and the reports Baxley’s daughter gave him about the vehicle’s color the night Jonelle disappeared.

[...]

Witness John Lyons, a Former FBI special agent in Fort Collins, hopped on this case due to his close working relationship with the Greeley Police Department and the suspicious nature of Jonelle’s disappearance.

Lyons conducted hundreds of interviews for the case, including one with Pankey in 1985, according to his testimony. Lyons never saw the report the police department wrote about the Pankey interview, but he confirmed he was never a suspect prior to 2019.

Lyons said Pankey was interested in giving information about Jonelle in return for information about the investigation. Pankey said a cop confessed to him about hiding Jonelle’s body, but he had to keep it confidential as a pastor, according to Lyons’ testimony.

[...]

Angela Hicks, Pankey’s ex-wife, and the Nazarene church’s Pastor James Christy confirmed he wasn’t a pastor. Christy was aware of Pankey, because he attended the church for about a year and a half, according to Christy’s testimony.

Prosecutors asked Christy about his involvement in the search for Jonelle. Christy, an important figure and friend to the Matthews family, helped search for their daughter and started a tip hotline with a committee group from the church.

[...]

During cross-examination, Christy admitted he eventually had knowledge about evidence that was not shared with the public, which Pankey also said he knew about prior to the release of news.

The evidence hidden from the public was footprints located in the snow near the back of the Matthews’ home on Dec. 20, which were obliterated by a rake.

[...]

Dave Mathis, a retired Greeley police sergeant, took photos of the crime scene the night of Jonelle’s disappearance.

Mathis said he paid close attention to the footprints found in front, back and side of the house. He found the footprints suspicious due to the fact that some were raked over, some were found on the steps that led up to the landing of the home, and some lead up to four or five windows of the home.

Mathis also highlighted a few of his takeaways from the night:

• There was no discovery of similar prints in neighbor’s yards throughout the area that was searched.
  • The raked-over footprints were never released to the media.
  • None of the shoe prints matched any of the Matthews family members’ shoes.
Judge Byron Howell, a Greeley police officer on patrol the night Jonelle went missing, also confirmed he did not share the evidence regarding the footprints during his testimony to prosecutors. He confirmed the footprints were the same pattern and size throughout the scene, but he was unable to pan out any leads.

[...]
Mathis took items into evidence after he investigated the crime scene, he stated during his testimony process. Items he collected included:
  • Jonelle’s pantyhose found in the family room
  • A small piece of ribbon found in the master bedroom
  • A jewelry box that was found open
  • Threads and fibers throughout home, including a red fiber found on her shoes and a fiber in the front landing of the home
  • An Afghan crochet
  • A framed photo of Gloria and Jonelle found in an unusual location
  • A rake
He said there were no signs of forced entry discovered on the scene.

Jason See, Jonelle’s 16-year-old neighbor that night, was babysitting his sister when Jonelle was taken. Around the time she was kidnapped, See’s dog was “barking with intensity” toward Jonelle’s home, See said.

See testified his dog mostly barked at other animals in the area, and he would listen on commands to stop. He made two attempts to get his dog to stop, but See said the barking lasted for 15-20 minutes between the time of 8:30-9 p.m.

[...]

Three other witnesses — Jonelle’s friend Deanna Ross, her brother Brent Ross and Jonelle’s choir teacher Georgianna Pollard — testified about the night after the choir concert.

Following the concert, Pollard saw Jonelle leave the school with “trusted” people. Russ and his daughter Deanna gave Jonelle a ride home.

[...]

During cross-examination, Viorst asked about Jonelle’s demeanor that night. Deanna said she seemed happier than usual, had weekend plans and thought it would be easy to skip school the next day since her mother was out of town.

[...]

Mark Blaszkiewicz, a Greeley police officer in the 80s, talked about Pankey’s criminal history prior to Jonelle’s disappearance. The day prior to Jonelle’s kidnapping, Blaszkiewicz arrested Pankey for being an unruly customer at a credit union in Greeley.

[...]

The last witness to take the stand was Mayor John Gates, who was a former Greeley police officer, to talk more about his involvement in the Jonelle case.

Gates said he only had three roles the morning he was called to assist: traffic control, going to Franklin Middle School to inform the principal and neighborhood canvassing.

Prosecutors asked questions about his father, who formerly owned the 7 Up Bottling Company where Pankey worked. Gates said he knew who Pankey was but had never worked with him.

[...]

During Thursday’s trial, Weld District Court Judge Timothy Kerns dismissed a juror for “inattentive” behavior, including having her head down during opening statements, falling asleep during testimonies and doodling in her notes.

The trial will continue 8:30 a.m. Friday morning.

<RSBMFF>
On Thursday morning, Jonelle’s friend from church, Rochelle Davy, formerly known as Rochelle Baxley, took the stand with information relating to a car on the night Jonelle disappeared.

The two friends were sitting on the bus together during their ride back to Franklin Middle School from the choir concert they sang in on Dec. 20. Davy said the bus was parked outside of the bank on 11th Street facing west, when a car drove past the left side of the bus that “caught their attention.”

She described the vehicle as a smaller, orange-red car. Jonelle in particular seemed startled and agitated about this car, according to Davy’s testimony.

RBBM

Sounds like Pankey initiated contact with Jonelle and was stalking her . . . I wonder why he chose Jonelle.

JMVHO.

Last edited:
Is there a place to watch this trial? On the first day, CourtTv covered a bit of it as well as channel 9, but I can't find anything on it after that.

I've not seen an Expanded Media Coverage (EMC) order granted for this case since the arraignment last February. It appears that Judge Kerns Div 11 Virtual Courtroom (via WebEx) is restricted-- i.e., Judge controlling who's admitted and/or allowed to join the virtual hearing.

It further seems that the opening statements were allowed recorded but I don't see where the order was granted-- especially given that any recording from WebEx is strictly prohibited.

• If you are not a party to the case, you cannot participate.
  • You will not be able to participate if you are not part of the cause.
  • Making any video or audio recordings of WebEx court proceedings is strictly prohibited.
  • It is strictly forbidden to record by video or audio the legal proceedings carried out by WebEx.
Colorado Judicial Branch

Since CourtTV is providing coverage, I trust that they have a representative attending the trial. Unfortunately -- I'm also not finding any reliable tweeting from the Weld County Courtroom.

@PommyMommy - trying to find what happened in court yesterday, 10/15, but coming up with only articles 2 days old. I see you had a good article for the 10/14 date - any for 10/15?

TIA!
citrouille17.gif

OCT 15, 2021
Steve Pankey trial: Suspicion surrounding Pankey begins in 2019 (greeleytribune.com)
A lengthy audio recording of a phone call between a Greeley Police Department detective and Steve Pankey highlighted a busy and active third day of the former Greeley man’s trial Friday for the 1984 kidnapping and murder of Jonelle Matthews.

[...]

A recording of the roughly 30-minute phone conversation from April 8, 2019, was played during Cash’s testimony. The detective said it was during that call, while Pankey was then living in Idaho, that Cash began scrutinizing Pankey as a suspect.

The detective said it was interesting that during the call Pankey talked about making a deal and involving his lawyer before engaging in deeper talks with Cash.

“I am not saying anything until I have a firm deal that can’t be broken,” Pankey said during the call, adding he didn’t know Jonelle Matthews existed until he was traveling back to Colorado from California on Dec. 26, 1984.

[...]

Cash spent a good portion of Friday afternoon on the stand, and he will be recalled, according to Judge Timothy Kerns.

Defense attorney Anthony Viorst questioned the detective about consideration of other suspects, specifically another mention of Norris Drake, whose mother lived across the street from the Matthews family. Viorst has presented Drake as an alternate suspect in the case.

Viorst and Cash spent a lot of time late Friday afternoon discussing the timeline of the evening Jonelle disappeared relating to Drake’s visit to the neighborhood. Cash said he ruled out Drake as a suspect based on corroborating witness statements from his mother and sister giving him an alibi on what time he left the home.

Cash said Ross was also eliminated as a suspect based on alibis from his children, one of whom Ross was taking home after dropping Jonelle off at her home.

[...]

In the morning, following the testimony of retired Greeley Police Captain Jack Statler and former Matthews neighbor Kathy White, Viorst noted the high-publicity status of the case. He asked Kerns to remind the jury not to discuss the case with anyone, to avoid listening or reading news reports on the proceedings and to stay away from any research on the case or information on social media.

Kerns issued those reminders regularly through the rest of the day before dismissing the court for a recess or lunch.

[...]

In addition to Statler and White, the court also heard from retired Weld County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Sheriff David Shelton, former Matthews 43rd Avenue Court neighbor Nancy Haffner, former Colorado Bureau of Investigation fingerprint expert Gerald Rosenbaugh, former Greeley Police Department Lieutenant Steve Nelson and current Greeley police commander Jon Baker.

Statler, Nelson and Baker all led the investigation for Greeley police at various stages of the case.

Statler, who spent a little more than an hour on the stand as the first witness of the day, was the first Greeley police officer to lead the investigation. Statler, then a detective, was called to the Matthews’ home in early morning hours of Dec. 21.

His testimony focused on the process and procedure of those early days and months of the investigation, including evidence gathering and conversations and interaction with Pankey in January 1985.

[...]

Pankey knew about the tracks and the rake, according to the county’s indictment. Statler said the tracks “were the one piece of information that no one other than who did that would know,” since the information was not released to the public through the investigation.

[...]

In December 1984, Shelton, the retired Weld County Sheriff’s Office deputy sheriff, was living on 44th Avenue, one block west of the Matthews’ home on 43rd Avenue Court.

[...]

Shelton, who was with the sheriff’s office for 33 years, was one of three law enforcement officers living in the area. Shelton said he was probably on the Matthews’ street once or twice between 8:30-9:30 p.m., the time when it was thought Jonelle was abducted.

[...]

“That night has haunted me,” Shelton said. “I felt bad that I didn’t observe any traffic in the area, and it’s stayed with me.”

Does anyone think Pankey will insist on testifying? He has demonstrated over the years that he has no qualms about talking about this case…and talking…and talking. I’m sure his attorney will STRONGLY advise against it, but who knows? MOO
#justiceforjonelle

Yes - I believe he will want to testify.... :rolleyes: ;)

Anyone find out the "make up" of the jurors? You know men vs. women... TIA if you do!

Monday, October 18th:
*Trial continues (Day 5) (@ 8:30am MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 23, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69/now 70) indicted (10/9/20), arrested & charged (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Plead not guilty. $5M cash-only bond.
Trial began on 10/12/21 (thru 11/5/21). Have 12 jurors & 3 alternates. 10/14/21: Judge excuses a juror for inattentive behavior. Now 12 jurors & 2 alternates. Jury selection from 10/7/21 to 10/8/21.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 9/30/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-3) 10/6/21-10/8/21 & Trial (Day 1) 10/12/21 reference post #10:
Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

10/13/21 Wednesday Trial Day 2: Opening statements made. State witnesses: Jim Matthews (Jonelle’s father). Gloria Matthews (Jonelle's mother). Jenifer Mogenson (Jonelle's older sister). Deanna Ross (Jonelle's friend.) Ross Russell (neighbor). Trial continues on 10/14/21.
10/14/21 Thursday, Trial Day 3: (These witnesses are not in specific order). State witnesses: Rochelle Davy, formerly known as Rochelle Baxley (Jonelle's friend). Russel Baxley (Davy's father). Ex-police chief Mark Jones. John Lyons, a Former FBI special agent in Fort Collins. Angela Hicks (Pankey’s ex-wife). Nazarene church’s Pastor James Christy. Dave Mathis, a retired Greeley police sergeant, took photos of the crime scene. Judge Byron Howell, a Greeley police officer on patrol the night Jonelle went missing, also confirmed he did not share the evidence regarding the footprints during his testimony to prosecutors. Jason See, Jonelle’s 16-year-old neighbor that night, was babysitting his sister when Jonelle was taken. Brent Ross, friend. Jonelle’s choir teacher Georgianna Pollard. Mark Blaszkiewicz, a Greeley police officer in the 80s, talked about Pankey’s criminal history prior to Jonelle’s disappearance. Mayor John Gates, who was a former Greeley police officer.
During Thursday’s trial, Weld District Court Judge Timothy Kerns dismissed a juror for “inattentive” behavior, including having her head down during opening statements, falling asleep during testimonies & doodling in her notes. Trial continues on 10/15/21.
10/15/21 Friday, Trial Day 4: State witnesses: Retired Greeley Police Captain Jack Statler, was lead investigator. Kathy White, former Matthew's neighbor. Weld County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Sheriff David Shelton, former Matthew's 43rd Avenue Court. Nancy Haffner, neighbor. Former Colorado Bureau of Investigation fingerprint expert Gerald Rosenbaugh. Former Greeley Police Department Lieutenant Steve Nelson. Current Greeley police commander Jon Baker. Greeley Police Detective Robert Cash. A recording of the roughly 30-minute phone conversation from April 8, 2019, was played during Cash’s testimony. The detective said it was during that call, while Pankey was then living in Idaho, that Cash began scrutinizing Pankey as a suspect. Cash spent a good portion of Friday afternoon on the stand & he will be recalled, according to Judge Timothy Kerns. Trial continues on Monday, 10/18/21.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back