AZ AZ - Daniel Robinson, 24, remote job site, Buckeye, 23 Jun 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page 10 of the report:

I just wrote an entire thing about the link between marijuana triggering psychotic episodes, especially within people already struggling with mental health issues, on the Jason Landry thread. I will copy & paste here what is relevant, but if you'd like to read my own story & struggle with the mental illness/weed combo, feel free to check out his thread.

-

So, a lot of people don't know this, but weed itself can for sure cause psychotic episodes, etc. I cannot smoke weed, period, it triggers massive anxiety within me and has caused depressive or anxious episodes that have lasted weeks at a time (absolute hell, for anyone wondering).

Does Cannabis Cause Psychosis?

Over the past 2 decades, there has been extensive research on the association between cannabis and psychosis.

Modulation of the endocannabinoid system by the main psychoactive component in marijuana, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol, can induce acute psychosis and cognitive impairment.

Carney and colleagues investigated the prevalence of cannabis use and its association with symptoms in participants at ultra-high risk (UHR) for psychosis. Across 30 studies (n=4205 UHR), there was a 27% current and 53% lifetime prevalence of cannabis use, and a 13% prevalence of cannabis use disorders (CUD). This corresponded to a 2.09-fold and 5.45-fold increased odds of lifetime use and CUD, respectively, in patients at UHR compared to n=667 controls. Furthermore, UHR cannabis users had a higher prevalence of both suspiciousness (ES=0.21) and unusual thought content (ES=0.27).

Johnson and colleagues11 conducted a large genome-wide association study of those who use cannabis (n=20,916) and controls (n=363,116). They identified 2 loci with genome-wide significance: a novel locus on chromosome 7 (FOXP2; OR=1.11, 95% CI 1.07-1.15), and a previously identified locus on chromosome 8 (near CHRNA2 and EPHX2; OR=0.89, 95% CI 0.86-0.93). Importantly, cannabis use and CUD were significantly, positively, and genetically correlated with schizophrenia in this study.

Szoke and colleagues4 meta-analyzed 29 studies of cannabis use and schizotypy (attenuated psychosis). Lifetime cannabis users had significantly greater scores for total (ES=0.42), positive (ES=0.44), negative (ES=0.18), and disorganized (ES=0.33) schizotypy versus never users. Furthermore, current cannabis users had significantly greater scores for total (ES=0.21), positive (ES=0.23), and disorganized (ES=0.27), but not negative schizotypy scores versus subjects that do not currently use cannabis.

For anyone wondering about schizotypal personality disorder (SPD), here is more information. My brother has it, so I feel comfortable speaking to it. It is difficult to witness your loved one go through paranoia and delusions. Here's some of the common symptoms -

• Dress, speak, or act in an odd or unusual way
  • Be suspicious and paranoid
  • Be uncomfortable or anxious in social situations due to their distrust of others
  • Have few friends
  • Be very uncomfortable with intimacy
  • Tend to misinterpret reality or to have distorted perceptions (for example, mistaking noises for voices)
  • Have odd beliefs or magical thinking (for example, being overly superstitious or thinking of themselves as psychic)
  • Be preoccupied with fantasy and daydreaming
  • Tend to be stiff and awkward when relating to others
  • Come across as emotionally distant, aloof, or cold
  • Have limited emotional responses or seem “flat”
No drug works for every person, and weed can indeed be a dangerous substance for those with mental illness issues.
Excellent! Yeah I jumped over on that thread one night...eerily similar. I almost sent a link to David Robinson to show it happens with others.

I just want to get a few "Day of the disappearance" things noted. I hope you'll find compelling...
  • Daniel drives 37 miles, then stops for 1 gal of gas. (BPD Report) So we can assume his fuel light has come on and he wants to be sure to have enough to stop at Verrado well and get to the Sun Valley Cactus well. My research shows generally in the Jeep Renegade a 1.5 gallon level when the warning light comes on. So now he has 2.5 gallons. But why only 1 gallon? He has credit cards. He's only a minute away from that first stop so time doesn't seem to be an issue for the short fill. Does he know he won't be returning to Tempe?
  • The renegade averages 24 miles city and 31 highway
  • On the way to Sun Valley and cactus he drives 14 extra miles then the direct route (BPD Report) and stops a total of appr. 45 minutes. Was this nap #1? Why drive around so much?
  • After leaving Ken Elliot, he drives 22 miles (BPD Report) presumably around the desert , stopping for a total of approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes.
  • from the very beginning of this travel time, the fuel light would come back on warning him of low fuel. Yet, he still drives around not attempting to get gas.
  • He, via the tracks and crash evidence, runs the car into the ravine. Hitting 30 MPH, never braking, and turning the wheel at a sharp 45 degree angle to the left. BUT buckled in by seat belt. (EDR report, along with Buckeye PD Report and photo of wreck where left side wheel is to the left.)
  • The car does a slow roll along it's windshield to the left 3/4 resting on it's passenger (right side). (BPD Report)
  • The car was found in Drive, the odometer reading is 11 miles further than the EDR report indicates for airbag deployment (BPD Report).
  • IMO opinion the transmission was jammed in drive. Daniel could not get it in Park but subsequently still kept trying to turn the engine off by pressing the START button, hence all those ignition cycles recorded into the Engine Control Module and passed on to the EDR. The fuel shut off must have be effected by the wreck itself or the awkward position of the vehicle.
  • The engine dies after 11 miles (out of fuel). (Page 37 BPD Report discusses the possibility of single incident with miles and ignition starts explained by other reasons)
  • Prior to that Daniel exits the vehicle via the back sun roof panel.
  • Disrobes. (May put on lighter clothes/tennis shoes, may have personal hydro flask?) Leaves bottled water, phone, wallet, keys. Hard hat, work computer and equipment in a backpack and other items left.
All other scenarios expressed by the PI IMO are highly incompetent or outright deliberate obfuscation. There was no earlier wreck. The red paint transfer (of about 2 inches he always carefully said was from a "prior" accident never once linking it directly to "the first of two accidents that happened that day". Does it really make sense that the car would get an accident that deployed the airbags and then it was actually driven further? He even admits to the possibility outlined on the aforementioned page 37.

And when he proclaimed it looked 'STAGED to me' his rationale was based on minimal roof damage, only one window out, and an extra 11 miles after deployment. He then backs into all other conclusions, i.e. the vehicle just "tipped" on it's side, the windshield damage had to come from outside forces (not the large rocks the vehicle obviously rolled over on site). And later when he finally found it, a 2 inch red scratch at the point on the right front fender we all have some type of damage! He even goes so far as to say the glass (drivers window) at the wreck site doesn't "match" the other glass. An extra sheet of window tinting on the driver side also makes it "not match" the other glass. PI McGrath sole livelihood is to cast doubt of PD and LE findings to get his Accident and Personal Injury lawyer associates clients a favorable ruling.

The intentionally wrecking of the Jeep does not fit their narrative. There is no media hook (manufactured outrage at BPD/increased donations) to that type of story.
I can only hope that after 12 hours of no contact, my wife would be able to have officials looking for my sorry lost *advertiser censored** in the Bisti Bandlands with officers driving last known locations and a helicopter up within 48 hours of that. Life ultimately is a crap shoot. And when you for whatever reason feel compelled to run your only mode back out of a desert into a ravine you better be prepared.

I don't pray, but I sincerely hope Daniel was prepared and is laughing his *advertiser censored** off at his father and the rest of us. I would so like that to be the case...

Next up: After the Wreck...

Spreadsheet of Distances, times and related estimates/analysis...

Driving Distances1.xlsx

Last edited:
All we can do is view the pictures provided and pick apart any verified information, none of which is anywhere near an acceptable substitute for boots on the ground and eyes on the evidence. His mental state prior to going missing makes it hard for me to completely buy into putting that much effort into a staged accident.

Family of missing 24-year-old hires private investigator in hopes of finding him

So McGrath has revealed FINALLY that sightings have been reported.

Which now allows me to relay the following
In early August, I joined 12 community FB pages of towns across the southwest and shared Daniels story. This despite Mr. Robinson's continued insistence his son would never do such a thing as run off. I made a direct request in mid July via email to do a broad appeal and was told the same thing. I deferred to him at that time, but only for a short while, as it became apparent from actions that the only avenue being pursued was "criminal', foul play, etc.

A gentleman that owns a store in Sedona, AZ contacted me on Aug. 14th saying that he was certain a person matching Daniel's description (see attached photo used) was in his store on either Aug. 1 or Aug. 8, 2012. I spoke with him the next day in person and found him credible to the point he told me unprovoked that he would testify in court. I also located an individual that works in an info Kiosk who while not able to identify the face did confirm "a week or two ago" seeing a young black man matching Daniel's description. I attempted to get video conformation from the center the next few days and was unsuccessful. I did not want to give Mr. Robinson any false hope at this point. The individual was described as calm and under no duress and the sighting was 1 to 2 weeks old. So "endangered" was not a factor.

I make no personal claim as to the veracity of this sighting. A lot of people move through Sedona in the summer time. Who knows. I could not find any other geode store workers (4 or 5 visited) who had such a sighting nor any out where the homeless hang out on the west side.

On Aug. 19th and 20th I attempted contact with BPD Det. Biffin. Over the next few days I got no response, which I interpreted as perhaps BPD knew something I did not as to the credibility, i.e. perhaps a note was found in the car. I did not call Mr. Robinson or Mr. McGrath initially as it was undetermined (at least publicly) who was actually taking the lead on the case. I then waited to hear any results of the K-9 search that Saturday. Mr. McGrath's first interview where he feels the vehicle was "staged" came out that Wednesday Aug. 25th. And at that point I couldn't wait on BPD any longer, was not getting video confirmation, and knew McGrath might get some traction. I informed Mr. Robinson of this sighting on Aug. 26th.

The witness was phone interviewed the next day (27th) by McGrath and both Mr. Robinson and McGrath went to Sedona the next day (28th) but never spoke personally to the witness. There other actions are unknown to me.

Without going into gory detail, my efforts were not appreciated. The fact I approached Buckeye first and waited and also broached the subject with both of them that Daniel does have a right as an adult to do as he pleases was not well received.

As you can see from the video....after 2 months of stumbling around and throwing up red herrings, McGrath is now looking at sighting tips...Mr. Robinson as I understand it, is still more focused on desert searches. He wants his son found alive? The only way that's happening is if he got out of the desert and was taken in/assisted or has gotten himself gone. He is having a hard time moving off "criminal" and accepting an accidental death due to some rash actions or him leaving his family.

Now you know the rest of the story.
- with apologies to Paul Harvey

Looking at the police report
https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/21080582/robinson-report-9-23-21.pdf
I observe that page 26 ('Contact with apartment manager') a welfare check was made of DR's apartment and a number of marijuana blunts were observed in various places in the apartment.
Page 24 refers to a spontaneous trip made by DR to San Francisco (where blunts are legal) at the end of May.
MOO Although I was cynical before, the timing here sort of aligns with DR's behavior changes observed by family and friends.

Last edited:
  • Daniel drives 37 miles, then stops for 1 gal of gas. (BPD Report) So we can assume his fuel light has come on and he wants to be sure to have enough to stop at Verrado well and get to the Sun Valley Cactus well. My research shows generally in the Jeep Renegade a 1.5 gallon level when the warning light comes on. So now he has 2.5 gallons. But why only 1 gallon? He has credit cards. He's only a minute away from that first stop so time doesn't seem to be an issue for the short fill. Does he know he won't be returning to Tempe?
Snipped for focus.
Pumping only one gallon is not logical especially if you are low anyway and planning to drive out to a remote site. MOO there could be two reasons - the tank is nearly full and it is being topped off. Or a separate container is being filled, maybe a one gallon can for driving some kind of gas powered tool?

This below 100% re: marijuana. I hadn't made a connection b/t his spontaneous trip to SF, but the need for marijuana makes sense. I strongly suspect drug use along with a declining mental health state contributed to him abruptly leaving work. I appreciate @JJ Ray for posting the police report. While I read through it, I haven't studied it...so I may have missed some things. Some thoughts:

1) While his father is on the phone w/ police he checks Daniel's Instagram. He says his photos have been deleted. The police ask about the girl he said he was in love with. His father looks up her Instagram profile and gives it to him. How did her father know her full name or her profile? Had Daniel been following her on Instagram, and shared her profile w/ his father? I don't recall if there was a subpoena mentioned to get his instagram history/direct messages if that was possible.

2) One of Daniel's friends said he mentioned he hooked up w/ one of the girls at the Instacart delivery location. Is this delusional, a lie, or true? If true it could make more sense why he was fixated on K. To someone else though he mentions how a girl doesn't know he exists. In K's account she mentions nothing odd or criminal about the encounter...she doesn't say nothing happened.

3) Online gaming and his financials. There are references to his unusual recent spending. Roger mentions he was buying gaming parts, and he was wanting to build a gaming computer. I wonder if there were online gaming "friends" he may have confided in.

4) Undressing. I'm inclined to think it's something similar to paradoxical undressing perhaps from a head injury. Odd it seems he would have had on his orange vest from that morning...but further would show his declining mental state. It reminds me of another missing persons case Jason Landry, in which he likely made a wrong turn on his route, overcorrected and wrecked his car. The clothing he likely had been in that day was found approx 900' from the vehicle including a shirt, shorts, socks, underwear, slide sandals and a watch . His phone was in the vehicle, although it had slipped under his seat and keys were in the ignition. There's been no reported sign of him.

I need to review the spreadsheets @JJ Ray posted, as I can't grasp where he could have been driving or killing time before the crash. I don't see a criminal element though and not sure why his father and PI are pushing that angle so hard. His father claimed in the podcasts I listened to that police weren't taking his disappearance seriously. I did not get that impression at all based on the report.

Looking at the police report
https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/21080582/robinson-report-9-23-21.pdf
I observe that page 26 ('Contact with apartment manager') a welfare check was made of DR's apartment and a number of marijuana blunts were observed in various places in the apartment.
Page 24 refers to a spontaneous trip made by DR to San Francisco (where blunts are legal) at the end of May.
MOO Although I was cynical before, the timing here sort of aligns with DR's behavior changes observed by family and friends.

On further thought, I wonder if he hadn't taken off his clothes and shoes because they were wet after the crash. It would make sense he would keep a change of clothes in his jeep. Perhaps they were in a bag, and he took that with some water to hike to the road. Can't explain why he wouldn't take his phone or wallet though. Unless perhaps he didn't want to be found. He purposely wasn't answering calls and may have had phone turned off.

Last edited:
Snipped for focus.
Pumping only one gallon is not logical especially if you are low anyway and planning to drive out to a remote site. MOO there could be two reasons - the tank is nearly full and it is being topped off. Or a separate container is being filled, maybe a one gallon can for driving some kind of gas powered tool?
Video reference by BPD says "at pump 4". No can or machinery listed as found at crash site.

This below 100% re: marijuana. I hadn't made a connection b/t his spontaneous trip to SF, but the need for marijuana makes sense. I strongly suspect drug use along with a declining mental health state contributed to him abruptly leaving work. I appreciate @JJ Ray for posting the police report. While I read through it, I haven't studied it...so I may have missed some things. Some thoughts:

1) While his father is on the phone w/ police he checks Daniel's Instagram. He says his photos have been deleted. The police ask about the girl he said he was in love with. His father looks up her Instagram profile and gives it to him. How did her father know her full name or her profile? Had Daniel been following her on Instagram, and shared her profile w/ his father? I don't recall if there was a subpoena mentioned to get his instagram history/direct messages if that was possible.

2) One of Daniel's friends said he mentioned he hooked up w/ one of the girls at the Instacart delivery location. Is this delusional, a lie, or true? If true it could make more sense why he was fixated on K. To someone else though he mentions how a girl doesn't know he exists. In K's account she mentions nothing odd or criminal about the encounter...she doesn't say nothing happened.

3) Online gaming and his financials. There are references to his unusual recent spending. Roger mentions he was buying gaming parts, and he was wanting to build a gaming computer. I wonder if there were online gaming "friends" he may have confided in.

4) Undressing. I'm inclined to think it's something similar to paradoxical undressing perhaps from a head injury. Odd it seems he would have had on his orange vest from that morning...but further would show his declining mental state. It reminds me of another missing persons case Jason Landry, in which he likely made a wrong turn on his route, overcorrected and wrecked his car. The clothing he likely had been in that day was found approx 900' from the vehicle including a shirt, shorts, socks, underwear, slide sandals and a watch . His phone was in the vehicle, although it had slipped under his seat and keys were in the ignition. There's been no reported sign of him.

I need to review the spreadsheets @JJ Ray posted, as I can't grasp where he could have been driving or killing time before the crash. I don't see a criminal element though and not sure why his father and PI are pushing that angle so hard. His father claimed in the podcasts I listened to that police weren't taking his disappearance seriously. I did not get that impression at all based on the report.
Welcome to the thread, good points and perspectives
1) IMO David knew the name, her location and profile picture. He got this on the day Daniel went missing from phone calls with his daughter, Davisha.
2) from the beginning, by the way he was acting, I assumed he actually did. My wife is convinced this is locker room bragging to the friend. K does not say in the report. One MSM article that was summarizing the report (IIRC Daily Mail?) indicated that she said "nothing happened". I am unable to actually find that comment in the BPD report.
3) Mr. Robinson and his PI would have to determine that via his personal computer and gaming accounts. I know his sister had access to his social media but have never heard about gaming.
4) I would normally agree (and at one point was all on board with head injury) except the more I think about the scene, the damage, etc. This 3/4 roll over was fairly slow and the slopes of the ravine, wheel turning, and general momentum carried the car over to the left...not violent speed. The impact into the slope was measured at 30 mph.

Landry is interesting...is it like a new Tik Tok challenge thing among young men?

To you last point, to summarize my previous comments...
IMO Mr. Robinson has had legal advice from early July. (he let slip "an attorney acquaintance put me in touch with PI McGrath" for example. Unfortunately I can not re-find the source). I also base this on the general way in which everything is tightly controlled, no one is really allowed to get information from "the team" or family which would actually help us in locating DANIEL. The media narrative being pushed (and in varying degree by outlet, i.e. target audience) by Mr. Robinson (and echoed by his PI) is IMO 2 fold.

On one level I originally thought he is ill-equipped psychologically to accept his son would do himself or his vehicle harm or flee his family. Thus criminal involvement has to be the cause. But after 3 months you would think the evidence he knows is overwhelming that "foul play" is the least of the possibilities. And recovery in the desert is still Mr. Robinson's focus. ( I assume he think there will be some forensic evidence of him being attacked).

As by-product (whether intentional or not) 'criminal involvement' / "BPD didn't do enough" has kept the public interest and emotions high. The "go fund me" increased by 100k after national media accounts.

And a good attorney will always keep the long game in mind..."a psychic break, rash decisions in the desert leads to young man's death" doesn't pay the bills. "Buckeye was negligent in the searching for an endangered young man" does.

Video reference by BPD says "at pump 4". No can or machinery listed as found at crash site.
The Police report (page 36) also says "...the video quality was poor...". It doesn't say anything about whether he put the gallon of gas in the vehicle or in a can.
DR must have had some tools with him in the jeep. Police report (page 39, end of page) "...they left the office in Daniel's jeep and he described the dirt and tools in there that had to be moved to the back."
So if there were no tools/equipment that were the day to day necessities of a working hydrogeologist at the crash site, that would also be a data point to consider.
An inventory of the contents of the jeep and/or findings at crash site would be most useful. Is there such a list?

Just as a data point, I found a bill board on Sun Valley Parkway, the development company appear to be:
Douglas Ranch AZ | Arizona City of the Future
From the website: "The Douglas Ranch property is generally bounded by Jomax Road alignment on the north, Thunderbird/Cactus Road alignments on the south, 319th to 328th Avenue alignments on the east and 379th and 355th Avenue alignments on the west."

There is heavy redaction on page 26 of the police report in regards to the 2 text messages to Stephen, his boss, and recipient of the one of of the last 5 outgoing texts. I wonder why? Ken and K are mentioned, so someone else is redacted. Unless I'm reading it wrong. It looks like a recipient is completely redacted at the bottom paragraph. I can understand employee confidentiality needing to be upheld on the employer side but not even the date is given of the 2 to his boss. There's a lot redacted. I wonder if he was having difficulty at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288