Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. If Gabby had already reached the requirements for a welfare check and they discovered she was not there and her vehicle was ~ Then if no logical answers as to why were not provided ~ It should have immediately been escalated to a high enough priority to expedite her as really being endangered or dead. So get the warrant and get it quickly before the only person who can answer the questions (to show she's not in danger) leaves.
How long does it take to expedite a warrant?
I don't see the logic in the lack of immediate concern by LE here. MOOing again.l
What would be the probable cause for a warrant? Again, adults are free to come and go as they please. What would LE write in their application for the warrant? And really, there's no "requirement" threshold for LE to go check. They really do these "courtesy calls" all the time. There's nothing that says they have to go by a checklist to do this. They do it because someone is concerned and most often there is nothing sinister going on. RL could have said that GP left with a friend and that would be the end of it for the moment. There was no disturbance reported, no gunshots reported, nothing like that. It doesn't mean LE may not have been concerned especially after talking to the P family, but "concern" does not warrant getting a warrant. IMO.

Josh Taylor: The first time we had interaction with the Laundrie family was on September 11, very late at night, blending over into the 12th after midnight. And I would say that they were not cooperative as far as sharing any details. You know anytime you come and you’re potentially trying to figure out if is someone missing or are they just not wanting to talk to their family, like what’s going on. And you have somebody else, who’s like “well here’s our attorney’s info.” And that’s odd, and we’ve said that from the beginning that whole interaction was odd.

Obviously, it is redacted so we don't know the specifics. From what I have seen, it sure sounds like the L's love to call the cops when they feel they are aggravated. They even called them on DTBH for simply knocking. Seems they love to use the law when they are annoyed, and have no problem expressing their frustrations, but are zipped when it comes to someone's slain child allegedly by their own son. The hypocrisy is astonishing. JMO
I agree.

Trying to regulate speech solely based on how uncomfortable it makes people is a bad standard, IMO, and is in direct violation of the Supreme Court's interpretation of the First Amendment. MOO.

Yes, a few Floridians said the same thing when HB1 was legislated earlier this year in FL.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/as-...igning-hb-1-opponents-terrified-of-its-impact

Apparently, HB1 was introduced to try to control rioting, but it is 'feared' it may be used against other mob protests.

I guess, if any of the neighbours have grown sick and tired of the disturbance, they might wish to get their own lawyers involved about the mob who is continually protesting on their suburban street.

I have visions of the FBI, the US Marshalls, DTBH and JW and his crew...surrounding some shack/cabin in the hills. Bellies on the ground, turtle shelled vests securely in place, with Mission Impossible Themed Music playing softly in their ear buds. Waiting patiently, for the anticipated door dash delivery to commence.. A girl can dream, right?

What would be the probable cause for a warrant? Again, adults are free to come and go as they please. What would LE write in their application for the warrant? And really, there's no "requirement" threshold for LE to go check. They really do these "courtesy calls" all the time. There's nothing that says they have to go by a checklist to do this. They do it because someone is concerned and most often there is nothing sinister going on. RL could have said that GP left with a friend and that would be the end of it for the moment. There was no disturbance reported, no gunshots reported, nothing like that. It doesn't mean LE may not have been concerned especially after talking to the P family, but "concern" does not warrant getting a warrant. IMO.
DV Mab stop should have flashed on police records as soon as they entered her name as missing.
Is that probable cause as well as her property, the van, registered to her being parked there.
Did they even check to see if she was lying dead in it?
Why not?

It seems logical to me that LE would have asked the 'door-answering-Laundrie' (who refused to produce their son) who the owners were of the three vehicles in their driveway. Next logical step should have been, upon establishing that the van belonged to Gabby, a high suspicion that if her vehicle was there and she wasn't ~ that she could be in danger. Unless, of course, the Laundry family could explain why/how it was there and she wasn't. Shouldn't this have been enough alarm for LE to 'enter the property' and at least set their eyes on Brian. And Brian, himself, could have declared his own representation and unwillingness to talk. And, yes, the great question was asked earlier: What gives the senior Laundries legal authority to speak for their son in matters of who he wants to represent him?
What immediate things should LE have done next? We're their hands still tied by legalities of any sort that prevented them from moving swiftly to establish immediate answers? Especially in light of the facts that should have really escalated their concern for Gabby's true safety!
Were Gabby and her family, once again, at the hands of LE's ineptness? I really feel sad that Gabby and family were let down by so many. The Laundrie family intentionally ignored them for self preservation and LE failed them with ineptness on many occasions. And yet they stand strong, proud, and grateful to those who did help. Class act!

Once "talk to my lawyer; here's his info" was on the table, LE was more of less stuck with that.

Two grown adults were unable to be reached by one's parents. The other parents did not care to invite LE in or speak with them. That's it. At that time there was no crime known, no allegation, no nothing. LE does not just start barging in and around every time someone they're making a courtesy visit to does not want to be bothered.

The bullhorns were told to knock it off by LE a while ago. They are, at a minimum, disturbing the peace and being disorderly. They may also be harassing, trespassing and/or inciting. There is NO excuse for this, imo. The parents aren't even POI's. They are private citizens who are entitled to be left alone in their home. all jmo

Link to where the bullhorns were told to stop? They're not breaking any laws and if they were, they'd be citied. The citations were issued when they were using a PA speaker. Protesters outside Brian Laundrie's home cited for using loudspeaker

Please note that I'm against the protesters. However, you're simply stating your opinion in regards to the law or harassing, trespassing, inciting, disorderly. LE will act accordingly. There has been an issue and they arrested the homeowner and charged him against the protester. Brian Laundrie: Fight breaks out between protester and neighbour at parents’ home

From your link ...

During the 2021 Legislative Session, the Florida Legislature passed and Governor DeSantis signed HB 1, an anti-protest law that enhances criminal penalties during certain gatherings and creates new criminal penalties for “mob intimidation”

As far as I know, this questionable law he enacted has not been tested yet............

From your link ...

During the 2021 Legislative Session, the Florida Legislature passed and Governor DeSantis signed HB 1, an anti-protest law that enhances criminal penalties during certain gatherings and creates new criminal penalties for “mob intimidation”
What Did HB 1 do?

New Crimes: Mob Intimidation
Even if something is not deemed a riot, it could be deemed mob intimidation, which carries a penalty of up to a year in jail:

It is unlawful for a person, assembled with two or more other persons and acting with a common intent, to use force or threaten to use imminent force, to compel or induce, or attempt to compel or induce, another person to do or refrain from doing any act or to assume, abandon, or maintain a particular viewpoint against his or her will.

There is no definition of “force” or “threaten to use imminent force,” and we expect that law enforcement will interpret this very broadly.

I don't think the protestors outside the L residence rise to this level. IMO.

The police can ask. But if the person answering the door doesn't produce the person, I don't believe anything can be done under the guise of a welfare check without more info and different info than existed here. A welfare check can't be turned into a warrantless search. And what many people here seem to want wasn't for LE to make sure BL was ok. They seem to want BL to have been required to answer questions from LE that day. And that wasn't going to happen.
JMO

Exactly and FWIW not sure if we want to give the police more power in this area.

If Gabby was a Pharmacy Tech, that would require a professional license. Florida has an online license lookup/verification (Department of Health) for anyone interested in determining if she held that specific professional license. Ditto, dietician/nutritionist. Inactive and suspended licenses are included.
I was a Pharmacy Tech Trainee in FL. You get OTJ training and after working a certain number of hours, usually over the course of 9-12 months of full-time work, you are eligible to take the test for certification.

Once "talk to my lawyer; here's his info" was on the table, LE was more of less stuck with that.

Two grown adults were unable to be reached by one's parents. The other parents did not care to invite LE in or speak with them. That's it. At that time there was no crime known, no allegation, no nothing. LE does not just start barging in and around every time someone they're making a courtesy visit to does not want to be bothered.
It was a welfare visit. not a courtesy call.
The Moab DV stop occurred on August 12, plenty of time to put that record online.
Also, her home, a vehicle , was there.
Surely a cursory search of at least that would have served them well if it had been photographed at that time?
They had information that she owned it from her father, presumably.

I wouldn't blame them a bit for running some electrical bull fence around the inside perimeter of their home, I'd be livid if I lived anywhere near them at this point. People are friggen nuts.

It takes seconds for a dozen or hundreds of crazy people to storm a house. If I were the Laundries, I would consider anyone trespassing anywhere on my property as an imminent threat.

Wow, I had no idea!

OT - You will never see, for example, garbage cans being changed/garbage hauled off at WDW - all of that is managed from below.

I'm not really a Disney fan - took my kids once when they were quite young - but it was an impressive operation in that unsightly things like garbage (or even normal sanitation or other workers) are essentially invisible.

Exactly. People keep forgetting that Gabby's family thought both kids were missing, they never suspected that they weren't together. The L's KNEW that Brian wasn't missing and was home. That in itself told me all we need to know about them. All they had to do was say Brian's home but we don't know what happened, he's not communicating with us - they didn't because they do know what happened. Why would they need to hire an attorney along with their son?? They haven't been charged with anything. JMO
BBM
Right on the nose!!! Exactly! However, the fact that they didn't hire a lawyer, who had criminal expertise lends itself to me, that BL backpedalled with a story. Maybe he just did the whole Moab story for them, and they thought they were fighting a speeding ticket. Oh wait...he never got a speeding ticket.

I disagree. If Gabby had already reached the requirements for a welfare check and they discovered she was not there and her vehicle was ~ Then if no logical answers as to why were not provided ~ It should have immediately been escalated to a high enough priority to expedite her as really being endangered or dead. So get the warrant and get it quickly before the only person who can answer the questions (to show she's not in danger) leaves.
How long does it take to expedite a warrant?
I don't see the logic in the lack of immediate concern by LE here. MOOing again.l
Lol, I am replying to my own post as my son chastised me for forgetting that I am only the 'moral police' ~ and unfortunately, it doesn't work that way in real life. Although it pains me, he is right.
Please forgive. :oops:

BBM. It most certainly does say police can enter if no one answers the door. They knock on the door and ask to see the person. In this case, LE did ask to speak to BL and his family and were handed the attorney's business card. Links have been posted.

Here's exactly what my link said:
Legal Considerations
No court order is required for the police to conduct a welfare check. Essentially, as long as they have reasonable grounds to believe that an inhabitant in a residence in endangered, they can legally enter the premises. They typically knock on the door and await a response before announcing their law enforcement affiliation. If they still receive no response, they may enter the property. This is particularly useful when someone inside the house is unconscious or otherwise unable to respond. The ability to enter the property without permission means that emergency aid can be rendered. In some cases, this is a life-saving intervention.

They didn't presume they were at the Laundrie residence. They were just trying to find out if the Laundries had heard from either GP or BL. By MyBelle

Your earlier post stayed that the police were sent to the Laundries residence by Gabbys father, to find out if the Laundries knew where BL and GP were. How does that translate into asking to speak to BL. That makes no sense. The police visit was either to find out where THEY were, or to question BL. It can't be both. IMO

Last edited:
It seems logical to me that LE would have asked the 'door-answering-Laundrie' (who refused to produce their son) who the owners were of the three vehicles in their driveway. Next logical step should have been, upon establishing that the van belonged to Gabby, a high suspicion that if her vehicle was there and she wasn't ~ that she could be in danger. Unless, of course, the Laundry family could explain why/how it was there and she wasn't. Shouldn't this have been enough alarm for LE to 'enter the property' and at least set their eyes on Brian. And Brian, himself, could have declared his own representation and unwillingness to talk. And, yes, the great question was asked earlier: What gives the senior Laundries legal authority to speak for their son in matters of who he wants to represent him?
What immediate things should LE have done next? We're their hands still tied by legalities of any sort that prevented them from moving swiftly to establish immediate answers? Especially in light of the facts that should have really escalated their concern for Gabby's true safety!
Were Gabby and her family, once again, at the hands of LE's ineptness? I really feel sad that Gabby and family were let down by so many. The Laundrie family intentionally ignored them for self preservation and LE failed them with ineptness on many occasions. And yet they stand strong, proud, and grateful to those who did help. Class act!

I don't blame LE for any of it. On Sept. 10 when JP spoke to police, he likely gave them the description/license plate of the van.
On Sept. 11, police did ask to speak to BL and they were handed the attorney's card. I think that alarmed LE into believing a very serious crime had been committed. They sure sprang into action and it hit national news quickly. JMO

According to BL's parents, he has now been alone in the wilderness for over a month.

Anyone else here watch History Channel's "Alone"? The premise is that survival experts are dropped off alone in a secluded location with only what gear they can carry with them, to see who can last longest at each location without outside assistance.

A few major differences between BL and the "Alone" contestants:
  • Motivation. $500k is a lot of money, but the arrest and trial that BL certainly knows is waiting for him if he's found is probably a greater motivating factor.
  • Food/supplies. While the "Alone" contestants are more restricted in what they can bring, BL may have brought a whole pack full of protein bars, firearms, solar-powered batteries, etc.
  • Outside help. Is BL receiving help from someone? No doubt that would increase the amount of time he'd be able to survive "on his own"
So, on to my observations about how "Alone" contestants handle the first month and beyond and what causes them to "tap out" (and may, at some point, cause BL to slip up or reveal himself as well if he is, indeed, living off the land somewhere on his own)
  • Accidents/injuries - These tend to happen when people are distracted, when they're using their gear improperly, and sometimes just by bad luck. Any sort of cut or burn could easily become infected; even something as small as a twisted ankle could severely hinder your ability to get yourself out of harm's way.
  • Illness - In general, the stress of being in such a survivalist situation would put an incredible strain on your body and its ability to fight off illness, as would the change from your normal diet. Mosquitoes carry all sorts of disease, and in a swampy area, it'd be difficult to remain dry... which brings me to...
  • Fire - Fire is incredibly important to survival -- to stay warm, to stay dry, to cook food, to boil water, to sanitize tools, etc. Twice in various seasons of "Alone," contestants who've lost their fire starter have tapped out, because without fire, wilderness survival is near impossible. And yet keeping a fire would also, in BL's case, be painting a bull's-eye on himself in a place like the Reserve that was closed to the public.
Right around the one-month mark, though, "Alone" becomes less about surviving in the wilderness and more about the mental challenge. Highly motivated contestants start tapping out because they just can't handle the homesickness, the lack of community and social connection in their isolated circumstances, or because the sheer amount of free time with little to do, no one to talk to, and nothing but your own thoughts to ruminate on. Often, contestants experience emotional breakdowns around this time because they just can't handle the solitude. They start examining the deeper questions of why they're there, what they're trying to accomplish, and if it's worth it; they either work through those issues or decide to be done and tap out.

(After that point in the show, for the contestants that can get past that mental hump, it seems a matter of keeping themselves from starvation and exposure, especially as most seasons start in autumn and by the end, they're deep in winter.)

BL, if he is out in the wilderness alone, is now at that one-month mark, and I can't imagine the sort of mental/emotional strain his own thoughts and memories and conscience would be putting him through at this point--24/7, with no one else to talk to or anything else to take his mind off of what he's done--especially if he's struggled with Anxiety in the past.

Because of that, if he is living off the land on his own somewhere, I think he'll slip up, and probably soon, whereas if he's being helped--if he's just sitting in a vacant condo somewhere, living off of DoorDash and escaping into books or movies or video games--I think he'd be able to ward off the stress of isolation significantly better and may not be found yet for some time.
I've watched every season of Alone and I've thought a lot about BL in that context. I don't think he has either the mental fortitude or the physical survival skills to last more than 2-3 weeks in a total "Alone" situation. The participants on Alone have families, friends, entire towns cheering them on and supporting them. They prepared for months, sometimes years, just for this experience. They have thought about exactly what tools and supplies to bring with them. They have a medical team that checks on them periodically, providing some level of human contact. They also know there is an end point. They just have to last longer than everyone else. And they still struggle mightily.

BL has none of that. He's a guy who drives around in a van from one place to another and hikes on marked trails. Has a steady supply of water and food he does not have to procure for himself. He uses $ for that. He doesn't have to build a shelter that withstands the worst of the weather. He just crawls into a cozy van. He has no experience whatsoever surviving alone in the wilderness.

Great show. If you like a side of drama with your survival show binge, Naked and Afraid is pretty good, too. imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie