GUILTY CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to to get a positive update on this case!

from link:

One sibling has graduated from college, and several go to school and have jobs.“Some of them are living independently, living in their own apartment, and have jobs and are going to school. Some volunteer in the community. They go to church,” says Beecham.

The six youngest siblings have been adopted and are adjusting well. “The younger ones didn’t have as many years of abuse and neglect, so they are able to rebound a little better,” he says.

Other siblings, he says, are in group homes.

“They are receiving really good help,” he says. “With therapy, counseling and a lot of psychological assistance, they’re exponentially in a better place than they were before.”

Well, familial abuse is different than being a pow. When it's your parent, it's not the same. Just speaking from experience in working with abused children. When one child watches another receive favor while they are being abused...that can really mess up the psyche and feelings for your family. I don't know that this happened in the home. It's just not uncommon for some to be more abused than others and some to be more favored. I obviously cannot say what happened in the home, how they feel now, and what their relationships are like. As I said, I don't want to know that much about them. I want them to continue to have their privacy. But, yes...hierarchy in abusive families can absolutely ruin sibling relationships.

Like I said, I hope they didn't. They will need each other as long as they are alive.

Nice to to get a positive update on this case!

from link:

One sibling has graduated from college, and several go to school and have jobs.“Some of them are living independently, living in their own apartment, and have jobs and are going to school. Some volunteer in the community. They go to church,” says Beecham.

The six youngest siblings have been adopted and are adjusting well. “The younger ones didn’t have as many years of abuse and neglect, so they are able to rebound a little better,” he says.

Other siblings, he says, are in group homes.

“They are receiving really good help,” he says. “With therapy, counseling and a lot of psychological assistance, they’re exponentially in a better place than they were before.”

bbm

Oh, this is an amazing report! May all these fine young people continue to receive any & all supports they need!

Wow, I am so impressed!

“They knew that there’s this place called Vegas, and it was one of the happy times that they had in their lives, so they’re like, ‘We need to get to Vegas,'” Beecham recalls. “That was just ingrained in their heads."

Beecham says one of the daughters called a taxi company and asked how much it would cost to take a taxi to Las Vegas.

“And that’s kind of where it stopped,” he says. “They didn’t trust anybody. They were afraid that whoever they called would just bring it right back to the parents, and then they would just get chained up for the rest of their life.”

David and Louise agreed that they were just going to chain all the kids up once they got to the new house in Oklahoma and they were about to move in the next few days,” Riverside County Deputy District Attorney Kevin Beecham tells PEOPLE. “That was what pretty much lit that fuse.” BBM So unreal. What brave kids.

“They knew that there’s this place called Vegas, and it was one of the happy times that they had in their lives, so they’re like, ‘We need to get to Vegas,'” Beecham recalls. “That was just ingrained in their heads."

Beecham says one of the daughters called a taxi company and asked how much it would cost to take a taxi to Las Vegas.

“And that’s kind of where it stopped,” he says. “They didn’t trust anybody. They were afraid that whoever they called would just bring it right back to the parents, and then they would just get chained up for the rest of their life.”

David and Louise agreed that they were just going to chain all the kids up once they got to the new house in Oklahoma and they were about to move in the next few days,” Riverside County Deputy District Attorney Kevin Beecham tells PEOPLE. “That was what pretty much lit that fuse.” BBM So unreal. What brave kids.

Unbelievable--". . .just going to chain all the kids up. . ." I'm so glad that one child was able to escape before the intended move to Oklahoma. They might not have ever had another chance.

Another thing that was discussed in the article was how delusional the mother was:

Beecham says Louise initially didn’t seem to understand that what she did was wrong.

“She wrote an apology letter basically saying, ‘Sorry I chained you up. It won’t happen again. I’ll be a better mother.’ She was just very naïve to the whole thing,” he says. “She was just thinking that she needed parenting classes and that would be the end of it.

I can't believe it! She wrote an apology letter including, "Sorry I chained you up. It won't happen again." This woman thought that 20+ years of horrible abuse could be overlooked with an apology letter and parenting classes. I just can't comprehend why anyone would think chaining another human being is the right thing to do. I don't even like to see animals chained. My cats lead an enormously better life than the one she provided for her children. I am so happy to see the children have been given a second chance at life, away from both mother and father.

Edited to correct grammar.

Unbelievable--". . .just going to chain all the kids up. . ." I'm so glad that one child was able to escape before the intended move to Oklahoma. They might not have ever had another chance.

Another thing that was discussed in the article was how delusional the mother was:

I can't believe it! She wrote an apology letter including, "Sorry I chained you up. It won't happen again." This woman thought that 20+ years of horrible abuse could be overlooked with an apology letter and parenting classes. I just can't comprehend why anyone would think chaining another human being is the right thing to do. I don't even like to see animals chained. My cats lead an enormously better life than the one she provided for her children. I am so happy to see the children have been given a second chance at life, away from both mother and father.

I hate violence! But DT and LT really should have had to have gone through the same horror as their kids! What goes around comes around. But I really think that LT in particular is not only evil but insane. I know that insane people can't be held criminally responsible for their actions. But both should have gotten the death penalty. I think that DT knew that what she was doing was wrong, but he was just as bad as LT, because he condoned the abuse on the children. Although, had the case gone to trial, LT had more charges against her. Hateful, despicable people!

Satch

Wow... heartbreaking.

“They knew that there’s this place called Vegas, and it was one of the happy times that they had in their lives, so they’re like, ‘We need to get to Vegas,'” [the DA] recalls. “That was just ingrained in their head.”

[The DA] says one of the daughters called a taxi company and asked how much it would cost to take a taxi to Las Vegas.

“They called this taxi cab company and they’re like, ‘Okay, where do you want to go?’ They’re like, ‘We want to go to Vegas.’ ‘Okay, where are you? ‘We’re in Perris.’ ‘Okay, but where in Perris and where in Vegas do you want to go?’ And that’s kind of where it stopped,” he says. “They didn’t trust anybody. They were afraid that whoever they called would just bring it right back to the parents, and then they would just get chained up for the rest of their life.”

The Perps weren’t naive, just evil.
Simple as that. May they rot in their cells, and fade in to obscurity.

God bless and give the poor children sunnier days ahead.

amateur opinion and speculation

Thanks for posting, xtrain, but I can't even read this.

These people are so far beyond evil, it's really hard to wrap my head around the depths of their depravity. These kids may never heal, but at least they they have each other and get a chance to live a relatively normal life beyond their parents reach.
I know! I am so with you watergirl!! It's just incomprehensible to me that such depravity and abuse takes place more often than we even know. :(

With our country currently shutdown, I worry about the poor children who are confined to their abusive homes. God only knows the stories we've yet to hear once the lockdown is lifted. :confused:

I may be late to the party here, but has anyone else watched the Oxygen extended show The Turpin 13?

I found some of the additional details provided enlightening.

In the UK, we have clear safeguarding of minors duties as teachers, social services, doctors, and other public sector workers. I know exactly who I need to contact if I have a concern about a hungry/unwashed child. Does anything similar exist in the USA? It feels like so many people dropped the ball here, albeit that the perpetrators acted in a deliberately secretive way.

I may be late to the party here, but has anyone else watched the Oxygen extended show The Turpin 13?

I found some of the additional details provided enlightening.

In the UK, we have clear safeguarding of minors duties as teachers, social services, doctors, and other public sector workers. I know exactly who I need to contact if I have a concern about a hungry/unwashed child. Does anything similar exist in the USA? It feels like so many people dropped the ball here, albeit that the perpetrators acted in a deliberately secretive way.

We do, yes. I believe doctors and teachers are always "mandated reporters", but in my state (Texas) every adult is considered a mandated reporter as well.

I know! I am so with you watergirl!! It's just incomprehensible to me that such depravity and abuse takes place more often than we even know. :(

With our country currently shutdown, I worry about the poor children who are confined to their abusive homes. God only knows the stories we've yet to hear once the lockdown is lifted. :confused:

bbm
You said it, @xtrain, SMH. All of us are worrying about that, I'm sure. IMO, if someone called in a complaint, surely a surprise visit (if those type visits are allowed) from the county CPS would be done. Of course, if LE were contacted, I'm hoping LE would visit immediately since IMO the call/contact would be considered a domestic violence alert. And those Title II children who look forward to good meals at school probably have not been getting good, healthy meals; and any injury/sickness abuse would go unknown. And unless the abused children leave the home to go to school (scary, and some schools already are showing Covid problems), it will continue.
Oh, this all is such a damm mess... Our most important resource -- the future of our country -- is indeed the children. And that future is in limbo and in danger with the abused little and big ones.
Yes, we worry.

For some reason I had the Turpin's on my mind. I can find a link that Louise is in Central California Women's facility but I can't find where David is. Has he been transferred out of California?

View attachment 317821

View attachment 317822

This says he was most recently housed at the the California State Prison, Corcoran.
Turpin case - Wikipedia

But, like you, I could not find DT on the California inmate locator. Wonder if perhaps he caught COVID-19 and died—correctional facilities were especially hard-hit in the first year of the pandemic, and he didn’t look like a particularly healthy individual to begin with, so that would make much more sense to me than an out of state transfer to another correctional facility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member