Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's another thing they are keeping close to the vest and won't release. I would really like to know if Grandpa ever really did call and call. Just as I'd like to know what she was wearing at Merry Piglets - and whether she was found in those same clothes (bc I think it happened on the 27th, after Merry Piglets). And, as I would like to know what BL said to the people sitting next to him on the plane. Because I'm sure he said something. MOO IMO JMO
ITA

I've done a thread search, and I hope this hasn't been asked already...

When the NPPD went to the Laundrie home the first time, they were denied entry to the home and handed a lawyer's business card.
Under the Community Caretaking Doctrine, couldn't the police have entered anyway to see of Gabby or Brian were there?

2021 Florida Statutes, 937.021 Missing child and missing adult reports.—
"Additionally, no court order is required for police to conduct a welfare check. As long as the officer has reasonable grounds to believe that an inhabitant in a residence is endangered, they can legally enter the premises. Law enforcement is given this power under the Community Caretaking Doctrine, a judicially created exception to the warrant requirement of the Fourth Amendment."
I think police were so shocked to be handed the lawyer's business card, they thought a much more serious crime had happened and they intended to get a warrant, which they did a couple of days later. jmo

When the NPPD went to the Laundrie home the first time, they were denied entry to the home and handed a lawyer's business card.
Under the Community Caretaking Doctrine, couldn't the police have entered anyway to see of Gabby or Brian were there?

"Additionally, no court order is required for police to conduct a welfare check. As long as the officer has reasonable grounds to believe that an inhabitant in a residence is endangered, they can legally enter the premises. Law enforcement is given this power under the Community Caretaking Doctrine, a judicially created exception to the warrant requirement of the Fourth Amendment."

The crucial words are "reasonable grounds." If there are people in the house, it's clear the person inside cannot be too endangered - as they are at their own home, with people who are co-residents (roommates, family).

No way that would be reasonable grounds to enter a house here in California - I can't believe FL would allow it either.

It's more like, "Person hasn't been seen for days, mail is stacked up in the mailbox, fliers are on the front porch, lawn is dead, neighbors say no curtain has fluttered for a week..." A collection of inferences that add up to "reasonable" belief in endangerment.

If someone had said, "I believe Gabby Petito is being held against her will inside such and such a house, with her van being used by someone other than herself, she could even be dead in there!"...how would FL handle that?

Because I think in some places, once the MP was filed, that the finding of the MP's vehicle but not the MP should have started wheels in motion - which I believe it did. Warrants. Not just crowbarring the door on the van open without a warrant or similar. Not just going into the Laundrie home without a warrant.

Not unless someone, somewhere was willing to say that Gabby was in a current state of danger inside that house.

But did they have grounds to think she was endangered at that time? Apparently she didn’t live at that house at the time of their trip, based on the Rose story last night, and so was she an inhabitant? If they said she wasn’t there and stayed out on the camping trip while he came home, not sure they could go in looking?
We don't know how much they had been told before they conducted the 'visit'.
She could have been considered 'endangered' because of her age or the record of the prior DV stop or the fact that a registered vehicle in her name was parked outside the house.
It was probably their last opportunity to talk to BL, lawyer or no lawyer.
It's also possible that family or bank had alerted about the financial transactions that had taken place between Aug 30 and Sept 1.
The nature of these purchases may also have been cause for alarm.

I think the "Stan" text alarmed Gabby's mother, because it meant that her phone did have service and was receiving calls and voice mail going unanswered.
Moo
AFAIK we don’t know date/time of the S text as FACT though I think the consensus is it was 27th aug. mum was concerned that a message from GP to her GPa used his Christian name which GP apparently never used

The point of the book Into the Wild was that he did not survive and barely knew what he was doing. It's actually quite scary how clueless he was. Edit - to further explain, Chris McCandless trapped himself on the wrong side of a raging river while living in a school bus in Alaska. He had no food and no way to fend for himself. In desperation he accidentally ate some bad berries and died because he did not have the skills or knowledge to survive. If BL is smarter, he is in a house somewhere eating food from a grocery store.
It becomes even less impressive after reading the sequel written by Chris McCandless' sister, outlining how messed up his childhood was and how his survival treks were really just his attempts to process that and rebel against it.

I was initially impressed by McCandless due to the many experiences he HAD survived, prior to his fateful Alaska journey, but found myself less so after reading the second book.

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Truth-C...ords=mccandless&qid=1634532740&s=books&sr=1-1

Last edited:
I wonder why those calls from Stan bothered BL so? Hmm. Jmo

I think BL was concerned that Grandpa would tell Gabby’s parents that he has called time and time again, the phone rang through and he left messages, and hasn’t heard anything back. If she had no service it wouldn’t ring it would just go to vm. I think BL was trying to prevent Grandpa from raising the alarm.

I think BL was concerned that Grandpa would tell Gabby’s parents that he has called time and time again, the phone rang through and he left messages, and hasn’t heard anything back. If she had no service it wouldn’t ring it would just go to vm. I think BL was trying to prevent Grandpa from raising the alarm.
100% agree

That makes sense. I truly feel he killed Gabby on this day, the 27th. I imagine he was worried. Jmo

She could have been considered 'endangered' because of her age or the record of the prior DV stop or the fact that a registered vehicle in her name was parked outside the house.
It's also possible that family or bank had alerted about the financial transactions that had taken place between Aug 30 and Sept 1.

The Moab police stop wouldn’t have been known at that point I’m sure. ETA - unless Gabby told her mom about it, so maybe that was known early on.

Think he was dumb enough to buy a burner phone with G's card? So, he could update parents on his trip east, and seek advice as to how to deal with whatever story he told them? I do. jmo

I think the prosecutor’s safest best is pursuing murder in the second degree.

There are usually one of three situations that will make up second degree murder:
- A killing that is done impulsively without a plan, but with malice aforethought.

- A killing that results from an action that was intended to cause serious harm.

- A killing that occurs from an act that shows the person’s indifference to human life.
2nd Degree Murder Laws & Charges | Federal Charges.com

No.
In fact a professional who was allowed access to the deleted footage stated she was uncovered. I cannot for the life of me recall but it was posted here within the last two days?
Thank you, I will look for it. I have missed so many posts lately because of illness in my family. These threads go so very fast, lol.

I think it depends on the reason LE were at the Laundries that day. Were NPPD conducting Welfare Checks for either BL or GP during this visit?

Someone would have had to requested that LE conduct a Welfare Check on Brian (which I don't think that ever happened). However I do believe there was supposed to be a Welfare Check on Gabby, possibly including the Laundrie residence?

At this moment, I can't recall when Gabby was reported/listed as Missing versus whenever the supposed Welfare Check occurred or when the date of NPPDs' first visit to the Laundries.

*Edit to add: Can't do a "Welfare Check" on a missing person (duh) so there's that piece of info lol.

Neither do I and even if there was and it was this size, why not have the father or a friend empty it to save the expense of flying back? I just do not understand the logic. Jmo

Neither do I. If one did exist, then where did they take Gabby's possessions? Her mom has even had that question. My heart breaks for the family. :(

So, these threads are moving so fast, I'm not sure if this has been discussed.
We know from the Moab video that both Gabby and BL each had cellphones at that time. As far as we know, neither have been located.
I think BL's original phone that he had in Moab was probably a burner that he completely wiped and set up a fake account on when he went on the run. Then he left the new phone at home as a decoy. I think if he is on the run, he has it with him and is using it to stay ahead of LE.
This of course is JMO, MOO.
ETA: fixed grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members