VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

At the body disposal site, as I mentioned earlier, there were two driveways. One was of the family that found the remains. The other was directly across the road. It did lead to a house based on old aerial photos, but from Grogan Road it may not have been obvious and might have looked like a good site to attack somebody. The driveway is 220 feet from the center of the bridge. Here it is in 2007:

2007 Bridge (near).jpg

Last edited:
The presser this morning — the sheriff made mention they need witness accounts to put this together “to get a conviction”. This tells me the suspect they are looking closely at is still alive. He also mentioned maybe some type of SA was occurring to Jennifer and maybe she confided in a friend.
There’s some new information we obtained from this new presser.

Investigators relaunch task force to help solve Short family murders: ‘We feel we’re close’ | WGHP FOX8

Search warrants show at least 138 pieces of evidence were taken from the house including shell casings from near the bodies, a shotgun, rifle and ammunition, family business records and a 2002 yearbook from Jennifer's school.

They haven't retested for DNA in at least 3 to 5 years.

I'd long imagined the weapon was a revolver and there were no casings. If police took a rifle, I wonder if it was the same caliber as the casings. But then they also took a shotgun which would seem to have no connection.

Why take the yearbook? Was it laying out oddly? Had it been damaged such as pages removed?

The press conference talked of wanting to speak to Jennifer's classmates to see if she'd mentioned or confided anything. The sheriff spoke of the "atrocities" that possibly happened to her. I'd think any abuser that heard of the family's move may have feared losing control of her.

Another story says police took a .22 caliber shotgun. I'd never hear of such a weapon (not that I know much about guns), but there is such a thing. It apparently doubles as a rifle. So was the gun found at the scene actually the murder weapon? Was it Michael's or did the killer bring it with him? If it was Michael's then it seems the killer came unprepared. If it was the killer's then he was awfully careless to leave it behind. Or was it purely unrelated? Police found a shell casing at each body so the murder weapon wasn't just a revolver which wouldn't eject shells.

One story says a rifle and a shotgun. Another says a .22 caliber shotgun. I gather these guns can also fire .22 bullets rather than just shotgun shells. There are apparently very small shotgun shells the size of a .22 mostly intended for shooting rats.

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/138854-22-caliber-shotgun/

Quote: When I looked closer, I saw where the barrel end actually screwed off. The main barrel is as smooth as a baby's bottom and was designed for shooting .22 shot shells. If you decided to shoot regular ammunition, the barrel extension was threaded giving the bullet one last chance for a little spin prior to leaving the barrel.

Just my opinion but I think the killer came well prepared. He knew exactly where the phone lines were and was able to cut them in the dark. It also appears he knew exactly where everyone was sleeping, probably because he had previous scoped out the house. He was able to quietly enter and execute the parents without waking the other. After all, the house was up for sale and there had been several open houses. He probably showed up for the open house, walked through and was able to tell exactly which room was Jennifer's and which was the master bedroom. He may have been aware that on hot summer nights Michael would sleep in the garage. (the garage door was found open). He appears to be a meticulous planner. I think he may very well have been the person sitting in the truck that was observed by the witness.

Either way, one story says a rifle and a shotgun were seized as evidence. Another says a .22 caliber shotgun and some of those can fire regular .22 bullets.
Can you provide the link that says they seized a .22 caliber shotgun?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back