Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really up on US state trial procedures -- can LS bring in a special prospector/ prosecutor from another county for the express and single purpose of helping to try this case? Or are they limited to whomever's already in that county's DA office?
Yes they can sometimes. However, it sounds like the judge has a large say especially with regard to compensation and need and it also sounds like Colorado law is fairly specific about when a special prosecutor is assigned.There are other prosecutors currently in Linda Stanley's group and if I recall wasn't there an outside attorney sitting at the table during the preliminary? 2016 Colorado Revised Statutes :: Title 20 - :: District Attorneys :: Article 1 - District Attorneys :: Part 3 - :: Compensation and Expenses :: § 20-1-308. Compensation and expenses - special prosecutors
Colorado Revised Statutes Title 20. District Attorneys § 20-1-107 | FindLaw

Exactly, and if the “abductor” had turned left after taking SM from the PP/Fooses Dam area, he would not have thrown the helmet clear across HWY 50 while making his escape in broad daylight. That is a busy road.
However, if one traveled up towards Monarch Pass and turned around at Garfield in the middle of the night when there was little traffic, it would be easy to pull over for a second and toss that helmet off to the south side of 50 without being seen.
Also, the defense attorneys made a big show of the fact that no tire tracks from BM’s vehicle were found near where the helmet was found. A close up of that pull off off shows tire tracks that indicate it was a well used pull off. The helmet wasn’t found until Thursday. No telling how many people pulled off there between Sunday and Thursday obliterating previous tread marks.

Also, at 4;30 am on a Sunday there's no traffic to notice a dude slowing down to throw something out on the pass. There was no reason to pull over. A semi coming down the mountain mid morning could have blown the helmet further down the embankment. Barry wanted it found immediately so everyone would look west.

Last edited:
More importantly GPS did not show him turning left. LE implied they had data that showed him turning left and he answered that he was chasing Elk. So how does prosecution prove that he turned left? Because he said he did? He said alot of things people don't believe....just saying. Defense will scream entrapment IMO. And I'm still confused by the continual fascination with SD. If anything trying to figure out if they knew each other prior just sheds doubt on the charge that Barry acted alone with with premeditation. Does anyone really think the DA is going to change the charge to conspiracy to commit murder? I certainly think there's more to the story....but the arrest happened, the preliminary happened....what can change between now and prosecutions delivery of the witness list? Lots of things....but is it going to happen. My vote is no.

I don't think SD had anything to do with it either. I can't make sense of the "suspicious vehicles" tip, though. Why? Wouldn't it make you MORE suspicious of your online boyfriend when he asks you to call in a false tip? I can't wrap my brain around it.

I tend to assume that the Cushman property is also free to Barry. I also tend to think as part of the deal he needs to maintain the property, snow plow etc, move around a boulder here and there...lol. I think the Cushman's probably knew Barry as a nice helpful nieghbor who would never kill his wife - they are not local and IMO would not have followed the case in detail. Plus their trusted house cleaner SD is his girlfriend - so they offered their rental up. Maybe he has even agreed to move out to SD's if the Cushmans rent it here and there for ski or hunitng vacations etc

I think that he started paying SD's rent when she went on disability because he was going to move in with her after he was released. Also this gives him an element of control in the relationship. Because you know Barry , he's an ATM.

I would guess that IE interceded due to Optics. I believe she said the prosection was trying to color the relationship "dirty" last time she was in the courtroom. As in sexual/ cohabitation before marriage ? Does dirty mean that Barry is not a "Godly" man ? Beats me-
IE wants it to appear like they are just "friends" . Like in grade school .

IMO, If I had to guess his legal team would like the relationship to disappear all together. We all know that won't happen. SD knows things that will help LE ( deleted messages etc) so BM is keeping her close - at least as long as he needs to that is -

ALL MY OPINION ONLY

Well, given Barry's apparent sexual incompetence, maybe it's more like grade school than we think.

;)

What was Barry doing at Tailwinds on May 9th, from 7:22 AM to 7:39 AM? (P. 36 AA)

According to the AA, MG was with Barry on the mornings of the 8th and 9th. I'm hoping that her timeline is one of the documents released in the case file because the AA chops up her interviews weird and it's not easy to distinguish the worksites.

According to the AA, MG was with Barry on the mornings of the 8th and 9th. I'm hoping that her timeline is one of the documents released in the case file because the AA chops up her interviews weird and it's not easy to distinguish the worksites.

Yes, but he went to Tailwinds prior to the beach site. And stayed for, well, more than 11 minutes. Presumably with his Bobcat, arguably not yet with MG.

JMO

Barry contacted Tim K. out of the blue on 5/9 at 1:46 pm about buying the backhoe attachment for a skid steer that they discussed 8+/- months prior (Page 53 of AA). Leads me to believe he was mulling his options for disposing of Suzanne and hadn't done any prior site prep. If he needed the backhoe for a legit job, how come he never contacted Tim again after that?

If he prepared a remote site in the mountains, how did he get his equipment there without leaving a trail and without being noticed? And then how did he get back there with Suzanne and whatever equipment was needed to finish the job without leaving a trace or making a lot of noise with gas powered equipment or an ATV?

If he used a gas powered auger it would take a lot of work to dig a deep, wide hole in hard, rocky, potentially frozen terrain. Auger, remove rocks, auger some more, remove more rocks, etc.

Searches on public lands are one thing, searches on private property would require permission from the owner and/or a warrant.

JMO

I'm not really up on US state trial procedures -- can LS bring in a special prospector/ prosecutor from another county for the express and single purpose of helping to try this case? Or are they limited to whomever's already in that county's DA office?

They did in the Vallow case. Not sure how it works in CO.

That's all true. But if this was purely a career move then I think it would have been handled a bit differently. It wouldn't have been so abrupt. He wouldn't have been handling a hearing in the highest profile case the county has seen in years just a few days before resigning. The DA wouldn't have mentioned issues he had. There would have been a transition period and a clear replacement, etc. Hard to know for sure from the outside, but I think there are a number of signs that there was some sort of internal turmoil.
I would agree it does not appear to be the most amicable of partings and IMO does not speak well of how JL handled it. IMO/IME taking the high road when making career transitions is the professional thing to do. IMO he should not be all about burning bridges, esp at his stage of his career and in the middle of a very visible murder case! ( Unless he was fired)
It has been said he looks good on paper. Looking good on paper and being an effective communicator in the courtroom on a high profile murder case are two different things. We really did not get to see much action from him in his lead prosecutor role, but the description "milk-toast" comes to my mind. JMHO

Barry contacted Tim K. out of the blue on 5/9 at 1:46 pm about buying the backhoe attachment for a skid steer that they discussed 8+/- months prior (Page 53 of AA). Leads me to believe he was mulling his options for disposing of Suzanne and hadn't done any prior site prep. If he needed the backhoe for a legit job, how come he never contacted Tim again after that?

If he prepared a remote site in the mountains, how did he get his equipment there without leaving a trail and without being noticed? And then how did he get back there with Suzanne and whatever equipment was needed to finish the job without leaving a trace or making a lot of noise with gas powered equipment or an ATV?

If he used a gas powered auger it would take a lot of work to dig a deep, wide hole in hard, rocky, potentially frozen terrain. Auger, remove rocks, auger some more, remove more rocks, etc.

Searches on public lands are one thing, searches on private property would require permission from the owner and/or a warrant.

JMO
But that all assumes that the purchase that he debated about was intended for nefarious use. There's really nothing that indicates that and LE cleared the bobcat in the affidavit.

I would agree it does not appear to be the most amicable of partings and IMO does not speak well of how JL handled it. IMO/IME taking the high road when making career transitions is the professional thing to do. IMO he should not be all about burning bridges, esp at his stage of his career and in the middle of a very visible murder case! ( Unless he was fired)
It has been said he looks good on paper. Looking good on paper and being an effective communicator in the courtroom on a high profile murder case are two different things. We really did not get to see much action from him in his lead prosecutor role, but the description "milk-toast" comes to my mind. JMHO
Perhaps after he read everything his heart was not into the case or perhaps prosecution strategy was what he did not agree on. There are many potential reasons...but it's a done deal now and he was under no obligation to "stay" at that job.

Perhaps after he read everything his heart was not into the case or perhaps prosecution strategy was what he did not agree on. There are many potential reasons...but it's a done deal now and he was under no obligation to "stay" at that job.
I personally struggle to believe a big career decision would hinge on a case which will be over and done soon enough. My guess is career prospects, family and the old faithful - money - would be the reasons, but we may never know.

Exactly, and if the “abductor” had turned left after taking SM from the PP/Fooses Dam area, he would not have thrown the helmet clear across HWY 50 while making his escape in broad daylight. That is a busy road.
However, if one traveled up towards Monarch Pass and turned around at Garfield in the middle of the night when there was little traffic, it would be easy to pull over for a second and toss that helmet off to the south side of 50 without being seen.
Also, the defense attorneys made a big show of the fact that no tire tracks from BM’s vehicle were found near where the helmet was found. A close up of that pull off off shows tire tracks that indicate it was a well used pull off. The helmet wasn’t found until Thursday. No telling how many people pulled off there between Sunday and Thursday obliterating previous tread marks.

Also, at 4;30 am on a Sunday there's no traffic to notice a dude slowing down to throw something out on the pass. There was no reason to pull over. A semi coming down the mountain mid morning could have blown the helmet further down the embankment. Barry wanted it found immediately so everyone would look west.

I stand corrected. Barry says he pulled over.
ScreenHunter 1080.png

It's just not clear if he's referring to Garfield or Broomfield.

That's all true. But if this was purely a career move then I think it would have been handled a bit differently. It wouldn't have been so abrupt. He wouldn't have been handling a hearing in the highest profile case the county has seen in years just a few days before resigning. The DA wouldn't have mentioned issues he had. There would have been a transition period and a clear replacement, etc. Hard to know for sure from the outside, but I think there are a number of signs that there was some sort of internal turmoil.
^^bbm

Huh? As the Sr Deputy District DA, who was supposed to do Lindsey's job if not him? His last day is not until November 5.

And who's to say this was abrupt when I'm sure Lindsey most likely interviewed for the Pueblo County opening last August (if not earlier), and the public was only now informed that his last day is Nov 5. Unless Lindsey was terminated, I don't think the public announcement would have come any earlier, and it's not like he walked out!

Jeff did his job getting BM bound over for trial, attending to his job to his last day, and leaving at a good transition.

And if LS sounds like sour grapes -- she is tasked with the difficult job of replacing Lindsey which won't be easy. By all accounts, he was a gift to the 11th District for the 11 months he will have served. MOO

ETA: add link
Top Morphew prosecutor leaving the case

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads