Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't the Marshals already have been involved, when the federal warrant was issued?
Apparently the local county LE called in the Marshals to assist?

Appalachian hiker mistook for Brian Laundrie by U.S. Marshals because of ear mark

"In a statement sent to Newsweek, a spokesperson for the U.S. Marshals Service said, "The USMS often supports investigations conducted by our federal, state, local, and tribal partners. In this instance, the Graham County Sheriff's Office [GCSO] in North Carolina had received a tip that the fugitive Brian Laundrie had been sighted in their jurisdiction."

"GCSO asked the USMS task force to support them in making contact with the subject. The USMS was not the lead investigative agency in this matter and was acting in support of the GCSO," the statement added."

I think that is because she was confirmed alive on the 27th by the Merry Piglets owner. MOO
Right, but where was GP on the 26th when BL was alone in the van? Riding in the back? Or did they maybe have a camp set up across the creek by then, so she was there? Where did they camp after Jenny Lake on the 25th? Could it be Spread Creek? We don't know. She really only had one other camping area pinned in her Dyrt account for GTNP, and it was farther south.

They did indeed park in that non-parking spot on the 26th (per JS), leave on the 27th for Jackson (MP), and then come back to the exact same spot (again per JS). On the 27th Bethune video, sandals and a book where on the ground. If I assume maybe they camped at Spread Creek on the 26th (and possibly the 25th), why is it so unbelievable to think they set up their tent across the creek at the fire ring? There were no signs of them hanging out outside the van. Where was whoever had that book out going to sit to read it? Where had they cooked their dinner and eaten the night of the (maybe 25th) 26th and morning of the 27th before heading to Jackson? Why does it sound so crazy to considering they were camped across the creek like they normally camped, with tent and fire, and picked that spot because everything else was full?

It is meaningful because so many people think GP just happened to be killed or dumped next to an old fire ring and the van could not have possibly been there before she was killed. That she had to have been killed on the 27th based on this information. I'm just offering an alternative based on what I feel is also pertinent information.jmo.

Autopsies can't do that - they don't use context in that way. Which is why Dr Blue defers to the Coroner.

I do hope that the Feds spring for further entomology study - which as far as we know, as not been done. I think they're waiting until they find BL to spring for it.

The wording in Dr B’s statement does not make it clear what days he believes it is possible for Gabby to have been alive. That can become a crucial issue at the trial. Is it possible that she was still alive on Sept 1, for example? That would mean that it is possible that BL did not do it. How reasonable is such a situation?

Can't get into the mental health aspects too much, but IMO, people like BL are easily able to fit in for a time. What is behind the mask will eventually slip out. But not immediately. Look how he charmed LE at the Moab stop. People like BL are chameleons: simmering underneath but can put on a good show. But the show eventually deteriorates. MOO.

I agree. BL in my opinioin he is a wife beater “in training”. Temper, pushing,slapping, locking her out of car. Causing her to grab a steering wheel and jerk it. Alienates her from her friends. In many of her posts her eyes look swollen and reddened as if she was done crying. I wish she would have called her parents after the Moab police stop. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
If BL was driving the van, he presumably has (or had) a driver's license. At least in some states, such as California where I live, people are fingerprinted when they get their driver's license; LE can under appropriate circumstances gain access to those fingerprints. Is that not true in other states?

JMO
I don't think I've ever been fingerprinted getting a driver's license in California. Is it a new practice? Mine's been remotely renewed the last few times.

I've been fingerprinted as a federal employee, and again as a county employee, and given a thumbprint when getting something notarized, but I can't think of any other time I've needed to be fingerprinted.

Kinda hard to believe we are going down the rabbit hole over woodpecker holes... I wonder why the CSIs spray painted so many of those holes.

Do we have a hole expert who can weigh in on this matter?
It's been previously established on the thread that LE's spray paint marks were calibration points for a 3D scene re-creation program. MOO

Right, but where was GP on the 26th when BL was alone in the van? Riding in the back? Or did they maybe have a camp set up across the creek by then, so she was there? Where did they camp after Jenny Lake on the 25th? Could it be Spread Creek? We don't know. She really only had one other camping area pinned in her Dyrt account for GTNP, and it was farther south.

They did indeed park in that non-parking spot on the 26th (per JS), leave on the 27th for Jackson (MP), and then come back to the exact same spot (again per JS). On the 27th Bethune video, sandals and a book where on the ground. If I assume maybe they camped at Spread Creek on the 26th (and possibly the 25th), why is it so unbelievable to think they set up their tent across the creek at the fire ring? There were no signs of them hanging out outside the van. Where was whoever had that book out going to sit to read it? Where had they cooked their dinner and eaten the night of the (maybe 25th) 26th and morning of the 27th before heading to Jackson? Why does it sound so crazy to considering they were camped across the creek like they normally camped, with tent and fire, and picked that spot because everything else was full?

It is meaningful because so many people think GP just happened to be killed or dumped next to an old fire ring and the van could not have possibly been there before she was killed. That she had to have been killed on the 27th based on this information. I'm just offering an alternative based on what I feel is also pertinent information.jmo.

I just had a thought - wasn't there a report from a manager or someone at Merry Piglets that said they didn't have a van? Maybe they got a ride into town and left the van at Spread Creek? MOO and just speculating - I could be misremembering.

There was a possible Brian Laundrie sighting on the Appalachian Trail – which just turned out to be a lookalike.

But the response from authorities has us wondering if they believe there is a possibility that Brian could be there. Former FBI agent Jennifer Coffindaffer weighs in.

https://twitter.com/newsnationnow/status/1450288533462208513?s=21

Thank you for this. Though, it doesn't at all help rule out that her death may have actuly occurred after August 30th.

As I read this, it seems like it could very well go through September 4th which really could throw a wrench into things. MOO.

So you think a jury could believe that Gabby was left there, alive (less than a mile from help) and just wandered around until some other person killed her?

Can you provide a link for what BL was doing on the 26th? I have nothing in my timeline and don't think there's anything in the media thread, either. Or GP, for that matter.

Not even a text, as far as I know - and no verified sightings.

Why do you think they are in Spread Creek on the 25th? There are actual articles (not sure I believe them) about them being up in W. Yellowstone. But at any rate, please give us a link for the 26th if you have one, because it's a gap in what we've been discussing.

I now have less confidence in Dr. Blue, though.

I think BL staged his disappearance with the assistance of others and if he is in Carlton Reserve he is no longer alive. My theory is that he went a long way away as quickly as possible (before LE knew he was missing) and is in hiding until the publicity for this case dies down. He may re-emerge in the future with a fake identity and changed appearance.
This is what is baffling to me…..is he never going to see his family again?

Well, then, though - it's another example of BL being transgressive, if he was still there after it closed. Just like occupying (for 4 verified days), a place that wasn't a campsite.

I wasn't thinking about forcing people out - I'm thinking about how BL must have stayed, despite the rules, and...was perhaps used to doing so? Breaking rules?

Plenty of people break rules. I think breaking rules is a big part of the nomad life. I have seen quite a few vanlife videos where people are parking where they shouldn't, but don't really worry because enforcement is hard to do.

Autopsies can't do that - they don't use context in that way. Which is why Dr Blue defers to the Coroner.

I do hope that the Feds spring for further entomology study - which as far as we know, as not been done. I think they're waiting until they find BL to spring for it.

per dr. blue, the fbi has sent materials to a forensic entomologist...he states this at approximately 12:40-12:45 in the video of the zoom call...

Gabby Petito's cause of death released

I just had a thought - wasn't there a report from a manager or someone at Merry Piglets that said they didn't have a van? Maybe they got a ride into town and left the van at Spread Creek? MOO and just speculating - I could be misremembering.
I checked out Jackson on satellite map yesterday and it looks like parking could be an issue during the busy season. My guess is they parked the van somewhere in town and walked. I think they were going to leave for Yellowstone either that night or the next day so they ran to Jackson to get gas and supplies, then ate at MP for lunch. Maybe?

Not that I know of - let's see if anyone else remembers...

So you think a jury could believe that Gabby was left there, alive (less than a mile from help) and just wandered around until some other person killed her?

Can you provide a link for what BL was doing on the 26th? I have nothing in my timeline and don't think there's anything in the media thread, either. Or GP, for that matter.

Why do you think they are in Spread Creek on the 25th? There are actual articles (not sure I believe them) about them being up in W. Yellowstone. But at any rate, please give us a link for the 26th if you have one, because it's a gap in what we've been discussing.

Gabby Petito case: What one witness saw near the Tetons may help FBI unravel mystery

Schultz said she saw the van on Aug. 26, when she and her Blue Heeler, Rosie, were headed to a dispersed campsite to meet with Schultz’s friends...

Schultz saw the same van again the following day as she was riding in the passenger seat of her friend’s truck. The van was in almost the exact same area — though it appeared to have pulled over to the right before backing up into a spot across the road.

“I was like, ‘Oh, that guy stayed the night,” Schultz recalled telling her friend, noting that it wasn’t a parking spot.

Last edited:
Something I just remembered. This may be useful for the parents and grandparents here so I’ll share the link below too.

The FBI actually sponsors ID kits (along with a few other agencies) that are for having what you need to help find your missing kid. They have since the early 2000’s. The prints aren’t filed but the parents may have had this as something to give the police when they turned up looking for stuff to help find him with. This would help to determine is they are his.

Here’s more info and how to get a kit

How to Protect Your Kids with ID Kits

I’m a grandparent now, but my daughter was born in 1981 and the local police precinct sponsored an event like this when she was maybe about 7, so it’s been available for awhile.

I’m another who has been fingerprinted for work (NYC teacher), but I remember when many threads ago we wondered about some kind of cup that LE removed from the Laundrie home. Maybe it wasn’t a specimen cup. It could’ve been a regular drinking cup that was tucked away in Brian’s room and was removed for printing.

All just speculation until we know more facts.

The reason I wonder if they camped there the 25th, too, is because of the Jenny Lake sighting. It would be close by.

Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito's van in Grand Teton National Park

Baker said it was 5 p.m. on Aug. 25, when she and her husband spotted Petito’s van in the Jenny Lake parking area.

“I’m sure of it,” Baker said. “It had the black ladder on the back and the two black rooftops on top, the two bars, and we made the comment that would be the perfect little camper van to go around in.”

I’m glad to hear US Marshalls are now hunting Brian. He’s a fugitive and needs to be brought in to face whatever charges are thrown at him.

I’m very torn about the protesters at the Laundrie house. On one hand IMO, the Laundries should be reminded every day that Gabby, who was engaged to their son and lived with them at some point, is dead and their son is wanted for questioning (at the very least) in that matter and to answer the charges that he used her bank account. On the other hand, the neighbors are no doubt getting fed up with the noise, commotion and traffic. The protesters need to tone it down a notch or three and give the neighborhood some peace. They can make their point standing quietly in front of the house, holding signs, if they wish. Unfortunately, some of them are just looking for their 15 minutes.

I think the Marshalls have been part of the search efforts all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361