Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #72

Status
Not open for further replies.
FBI Statement:

TAYLOR: Good afternoon. Josh Taylor with North Port Police Department. Thank you for your continued diligence on this story and thanks for your patience.

As you know, the North Port Police Department has worked collaboratively with the FBI throughout this investigation, so Special Agent Michael McPherson is going to make a prepared statement. There's not going to be any questions today, but hopefully it answers some of them.

Thank you.

MCPHERSON: Good afternoon. My name's Michael McPherson. I'm the special agent in charge of the FBI Tampa Division.

As you're aware, the FBI and the North Port Police Department and our state and local law enforcement partners have been searching the area of the Carlton Reserve for Brian Laundrie, a person of interest in the murder of Gabby Petito.

Earlier today, investigators found what appears to be human remains, along with personal items, such as a backpack and notebook, belonging to Brian Laundrie. These items were found in an area that up until recently have been under water.

Our evidence response team is on scene using all available forensic resources to process the area. It's likely the team will be on scene for several days.

I know you have a lot of questions, but we don't have all the answers yet. We are working diligently to get those answers for you.

We are grateful for the dedication and professionalism of the North Port Police Department, along with our partners from the state and local agencies. Complex investigations such as this cannot be accomplished by one agency alone, but there are just too many agencies to name them all here today.

Portions of the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park and Carlton Reserve remain closed to the public until further notice.

This is an active and ongoing investigation, so we ask the public to maintain distance from any law enforcement personnel, equipment, vehicles, and other related activity for the safety of the public and to protect the integrity of our work.

We have no additional comment related to today's activities. Our FBI Denver office is the lead investigative agency and all future inquiries should be directed to them.

We appreciate the tremendous support from the public and continue to ask for your assistance in bringing this investigation to a close. Thank you.

EDIT: Please disregard any spelling or grammatical errors. I attempted to get this out as fast as I could for easy reference.
BBM
To me it's very important that these particular words were used.

From Laundrie attorney Steven Bertolino:
"Chris and Roberta Laundrie were at the reserve earlier today when human remains and some of Brian’s possessions were located in an area where they had initially advised law enforcement that Brian may be.

Chris and Roberta will wait for the forensic identification of the human remains before making any additional comments."
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1450931895148105732?s=21

“Additional comments”?

They’ve been radio silent.

I own what I believe to be the same bag. The writing and pics on bottom left are instructions for using the bag properly. Moo
And does yours have clips on the bottom corner to fasten it more tightly or (*edited spelling error) to attach to another bag? I just don't see a tear, I see another polymer clip. MOO

Last edited:
Was the Myakkahatchee park closed during the investigation of the Carlton Reserve? If not why would the Laundries not have looked their sooner? Why now long after this body (assuming it is his body)is decomposed or dispersed. Just seems odd to me. moo
I agree, I would like to know if the Myakkahatchee Park has been closed to the public this whole time.

Myakkahatchee Park is not part of the Carlton Reserve. It is a "relatively" small park just outside of the SE corner of the Carlton Preserve.

Was Myakkahatchee Park searched and/or closed to the public before?

JMO

I don't think that is confirmed. I've read two versions of this story.

(reposting from 2 boards ago, for those who haven't seen)

From Entin's twitter:

Full Bertolino statement:
"Chris and Roberta Laundrie went to the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park this morning to search for Brian. The FBI and NPPD were informed last night of Brian’s parents’ intentions and they met Chris and Roberta there this morning. After a brief search off a trail that Brian frequented some articles belonging to Brian were found. As of now law enforcement is conducting a more thorough investigation of that area."

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1450855515584671753

Telling slip from BL attorney IMO:

https://twitter.com/ShannonCwtsp/status/1450931341780979719?s=20
FCK-XRiWQAQvSmt

"where human remains were found", when FBI said, "what appears to be human remains".

MOO MOO
OMG

I guess if you’re heading out to kill yourself you don’t need anything other than transport, a viable method… confessional notepad optional.
IMO if the notebook is a confession that implies some remorse -whether for what he did, or himself, or some degree of both, who knows.

it’s the saddest possible conclusion to already tragic events.
IMO the notebook was possibly a sketch pad for him as he likes to draw, but a confession would be nice.

Has anyone seen any footage to if Brian’s parents had received a death notification at their door? I am thinking it most likely is him, but without knowing the condition his body was in, he could have killed someone he ran into and left his stuff with them, knowing the body would decompose. As I think we all have discovered, there are a lot of lookalikes!
I would imagine they would receive a call.

Speculation: If the articles (backpack and notebook) are BL's and they were found very near to where the Mustang was parked and trails popular with BL, this would seem to suggest that he committed suicide or met with a really inconvenient accident shortly after his arrival at the park.

Otherwise, I would expect his any remains and belongings to be found far from where the vehicle was located. Since they weren't I think the plan he went there with was to kill himself.

I hope the notebook contains some sort of confession or info that would clue us in on what happened between he and Gabby the day she died. Even if it is the self serving story of one who is trying to minimize his own responsibility. I would hate to never have more answer. If I was a parent of either GP or BL I would also want to know.

While not likely, who is to say he didn't receive medical attention. Also some wounds can be cauterized, which would be extremely painful but possible. Who knows if BL has knowledge of some sort of off grid type of survival first aid or if someone in his circle does (such as someone who was former military). People have done crazier things to fake their own deaths and remain on the run. Hopefully the partial remains are body parts that he could not be alive without. IMO.
I mean what was that movie about the mountain climber who got stuck and cut off his own arm?
agree unlikely, but possible.

BL might have been alive until recently, communicating with mom and dad via burner phones. Maybe he got tired of hiding but knew he was screwed and suicided very recently, telling them where to find him. That would explain their actions today. Or maybe he didn’t tell them he was going to kill himself, but they knew where he was hiding and got worried when they didn’t hear from him.

The time since death will be interesting to find out (if it’s him, which seems likely).
I guess I feel if the remains were in an area covered with water until recently, BL would have had to either do it soon after getting there, or within the last few days. Considering the FBI is only calling it possible human remains, it makes me think they likely aren't fresh. Jmo

Last edited:
It's going against the greatest natural instinct of all... To live. It's very sad that there is such ignorance and lack of understanding around suicide.

MOO
Exactly. None of us know what he was feeling what he was thinking. It's really a sad situation. All we know is that he took her life. We still don't know why? I feel like unless we are in a person's shoes than we can't pretend that we know. But the end result for all family members is sadness.

Brian Laundrie - I hope the remains are not his, I want him to rot in a prison cell forever for all the pain, hurt and anguish he has caused to so many.

Brian Entin should get a reward for his reporting on this case, by far the best reporter on a crime case I have ever watched closely. Well done Brian Entin, you're a to the point reporter and brilliant at what you do.

Thanks all you websleuthers, I am learning so much from this case, knowledge is power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!