CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why it is so difficult for them to definitively determine the cause of death? I realize they have stated what it ISN'T, but no clue as to what it is. Will they ultimately just decide it was the heat by process of eliminating everything else?
Without witnesses, a finding of HS is typically a process of elimination, this came up repeatedly on early threads. MOO.

Re: the expected update on COD tomorrow: Wow! I may be biased because I have been in the toxicology-will-tell camp, but this makes me think they have something definitive, not just “we have ruled out everything else so QED the COD is heatstroke.”

Thank you! It’s a short article, for those who cannot access it. Points and quotes:

“The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday it will hold a news conference “regarding the cause of death and final investigative update on the Gerrish/Chung case.””

-The Sheriff will announce the information at a press conference on Thursday at 2:00 pm. No information or interviews will be given before that time.

-for two months investigators have tried to find what killed the family and their dog.

-described it as baffling

-Investigators previously said they believe the family died on a steep switchback about 1.5 miles from where their vehicle was found. It is believed they hiked approximately 7 miles of an 8.5 mile loop.

-Investigators have said the family hiked during extreme heat and toxic algae blooms were found in water sources along the trail.

Re: the expected update on COD tomorrow: Wow! I may be biased because I have been in the toxicology-will-tell camp, but this makes me think they have something definitive, not just “we have ruled out everything else so QED the COD is heatstroke.”
They may have been waiting for family to come from the UK. Last week's weekly Mariposa Gazette announced the Sheriff would be meeting with family this week.

Thank you! It’s a short article, for those who cannot access it. Points and quotes:

“The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday it will hold a news conference “regarding the cause of death and final investigative update on the Gerrish/Chung case.””

-The Sheriff will announce the information at a press conference on Thursday at 2:00 pm. No information or interviews will be given before that time.

-for two months investigators have tried to find what killed the family and their dog.

-described it as baffling

-Investigators previously said they believe the family died on a steep switchback about 1.5 miles from where their vehicle was found. It is believed they hiked approximately 7 miles of an 8.5 mile loop.

-Investigators have said the family hiked during extreme heat and toxic algae blooms were found in water sources along the trail.
A point of speculation here has been the loop the family actually took, so I’m glad to see additional confirmation from LE that they hiked 7/8.5 miles (edit: or, at least, no revision of that previous statement in the 2 months since).

Last edited:
They may have been waiting for family to come from the UK. Last week's weekly Mariposa Gazette announced the Sheriff would be meeting with family this week.

You’re right. I can’t access it, but it’s within the first paragraph, (October 7th) bbm: “

“Sheriff to meet with members of families next week to discuss details of case.

Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese always stands by his principles.
Sometimes, that might frustrate the public, but he believes law enforcement has to be compassionate and caring when it comes to the many people they deal with on a regular basis.”
Still no cause in death of family | Mariposa Gazette

But if they do that, they'll have to explain how both adults were apparently disabled by heat stroke at the same time. Logically, the much heavier and stockier husband should have been affected much sooner than the skinnier, lighter wife; which would have give her time to proceed much further up the trail.

There's nothing to indicate they succumbed "at the same time."

Alright then, two parts to tomorrow’s long-awaited news conference.

“Cause of death” should be rather anticlimactic, IMO. Fascinated with outdoor misadventure, I view this tragedy through that bias.

Following closely on the heels of JKreycik, very disconcerting that recreational enthusiasts are melting in our communal backyards.

Though a forgone conclusion in my mind, a determination of ‘heat stroke’ based on the exclusion of all else will leave many seeking more clarity.

“Final investigative detail” is what intrigues me but I’ve long been resigned to not learning much. And it does say ‘final’.

Certainly the public has a right to know of any threat. Barring that, however, the narrative of a misadventure, without witnesses or survivors, will be told by the grieving families.

The most consistent message LE has conveyed the past seven weeks—in the absence of revealing any meaningful investigative detail and leading us into circular speculation—is that they are working closely with the bereaved families.

Faced with unimaginable sorrow, it is too twisted for me to try to comprehend if an alternate explanation would be more comforting.

But what about the search warrants of the phone for photos, gps tracking, failed messages, or an inventory of gear and any minutiae of detail that could help us understand the possible triggers and cascading of debilitating events we’ve all discussed leading to this tragedy? Maybe it will be none of our business.

I guess we'll finally find out tomorrow what LE knows and hopefully can conclude about this case. I feel deeply for the families - their loss is just so very sad.

I saw reference in the article that YourCentralValley.com will provide coverage of the 10/21, 2pm (PST, presumably) press conference.

Does anyone know if there will be a live stream and/or if anyone stumbles across one, can you please share a link to that live stream here?

Certainly the public has a right to know of any threat. Barring that, however, the narrative of a misadventure, without witnesses or survivors, will be told by the grieving families.
RSBM
I think this is telling. If there were a public health risk, such as algal toxins or environmental contaminants, you'd think they wouldn't delay the findings. I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow.
edited for clarity

Last edited:
RSBM
I think this telling. If there were a public health risk, such as algal toxins or environmental contaminants, you'd think they wouldn't delay the findings. I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow.
The whole area has been closed to the public since the bodies were found, eliminating any public health risk. IMHO, there WAS a considerable public health risk, they could have been hauling the bodies of curious people with heat stroke out of there well into October.

Last edited:
I guess we'll finally find out tomorrow what LE knows and hopefully can conclude about this case. I feel deeply for the families - their loss is just so very sad.

I saw reference in the article that YourCentralValley.com will provide coverage of the 10/21, 2pm (PST, presumably) press conference.

Does anyone know if there will be a live stream and/or if anyone stumbles across one, can you please share a link to that live stream here?
I had to look up when PST was compared to CST. Looks like it will be at noon in my area if I interpreted it correctly! Lol

+
I had to look up when PST was compared to CST. Looks like it will be at noon in my area if I interpreted it correctly! Lol
We're still on daylight time (EDT) over here on the east coast, so maybe PDT vs CDT? If for some reason you live in Indiana, then I have no idea how to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member