Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there are alot of factors in play to detect a corpse scent underwater.

Research shows value of cadaver dogs locating underwater corpses

"When a body is on land it is hoped it will stay in one place, but in water a body can move in three dimensions, so it is a lot more difficult to locate and recover"

.. research has found that the dogs can only be really effective if they can get down to the level water to clarify the scent or they may not be able to give a clear indication.
Therefore, access to the water both from the bank and particularly from a boat is crucial to the success of a search. "If the sides of the boat are too high, the dog will simply not be able to smell the water".
I just wanted to add to what you said. On Ashleigh Banfield’s show tonight, she said she spoke with the handler of one of the K9s they had out at the reserve. His name is Diesel. Basically she said that the handler said that Diesel is a bad*** & dang good at his job lol (that’s what I took away from what the handler said haha). & specifically mentioned that he has no problem at all getting a scent off the water, & he’s good at it. I just thought that was interesting bc I had not heard much about the specific dogs & their strengths. Also left me with a lot of questions as to those remains not being found sooner but that’s JMO. :)

Finding your sons belongings would be a heartbreaker. Still no emotion that I would expect. Is this normal or am I just to emotional?
They've been locked away in that house for weeks. It's possible they've already been grieving, in private... alone, together that long. They may have suspected this and been prepared for what they would find. They didn't break down in front of everyone today but they may have been on their knees prior to today and we have no idea what happened behind closed doors. I'm not a fan, at all, of how they handled the situation with Gabby's folks but I can still hold space for them being human. Grief isn't linear so the drive back home may have been very emotional. Personally, I'm tired of being angry with their behavior and willing to see how this all plays out. I have also determined it will be a cold day in hell when I blindly do anything an attorney tells me to do. MOO IMO

It will be interesting if ME is able to get a good time of death. IMO I don't think BL originally went to CR to kill himself because he took the car & backpack probably filled w/supplies. IMO he went there to 'clear his head' get 'straight' w/what happened (not what he did to GP). To him, I think, it was just something that happened that she caused. As food began to run low, the car was gone, LE & helicopters getting closer & closer... no escape, no way he was going to be put in a cage...he is the only one in charge...no way is anyone going to tell him what to do. So, he did the most self-centered thing he could do...but I don't think he did this until he was there a while...maybe after CL went there w/LE.
JMOO

It just occurred to me that maybe that particular spot was a place BL frequented. I've heard it reported that the area was on the list CL gave the FBI, but maybe so was that spot.

Very possible; with how this whole thing has progressed I could see the parents saying. "hey, he is already deceased, nothing is changing that" "let's wait til it all calms down and the search concludes and we can go say goodbye to him on our own terms" JMO

When dogs first go out they sniff the air to lead them to an area. The distance they can get a smell on the air ranges between 50-500 yards away, and under the right conditions up to a mile. A body submerged up to 50 feet deep in water can be detected because the dog is smelling what is being carried in the air. It's unfortunately a common occurrence where I live to have someone slip into the ice and not be able to be recovered until after the ice melts. They'll stand on the shoreline and the dog will signal when they get close to the area, then they'll go out in the boat and let the dog lead them to a closer area. I think what you're asking is would a dog have to be on top of the body to smell it, and the answer is no. The dog can be 50-500 yards away from where the body is submerged.
https://outdoordogfun.com/how-far-can-a-dog-track-a-scent-outdoors/
Thanks for the link.

So either the HRD dogs in this case didn't get close enough to the remains, their training wasn't good, or the remains were not at that location when the dogs were deployed. JMO.

I just wanted to add to what you said. On Ashleigh Banfield’s show tonight, she said she spoke with the handler of one of the K9s they had out at the reserve. His name is Diesel. Basically she said that the handler said that Diesel is a bad*** & dang good at his job lol (that’s what I took away from what the handler said haha). & specifically mentioned that he has no problem at all getting a scent off the water, & he’s good at it. I just thought that was interesting bc I had not heard much about the specific dogs & their strengths. Also left me with a lot of questions as to those remains not being found sooner but that’s JMO. :)
Was Diesel anywhere near that area where remains were found. Did he say? jmo

There appeared to be a hole in one of the lower corners of the bag. I can't imagine how that happened unless an animal nibbled at it to get inside. Although it appears as if it were torn. I wonder what would cause a tear to a bad meant to be kept intact so the contents remained dry? Otherwise, a dry bag should NOT have a hole in it. It defeats the purpose of the bag.

Pic of hole attached.
View attachment 318280

Source: FBI will provide update after possible human remains found in manhunt for Brian Laundrie

The ripped bag's contents are dry and intact... That particular spot was obviously not flooded. Bag was also under cover of trees and brush.

Finding your sons belongings would be a heartbreaker. Still no emotion that I would expect. Is this normal or am I just to emotional?
Both parents were crying and trying hard to hold it in. They have been public spectacle since Sept 20 thats a full month of the whole world watching/stalking/harassing/making up things about them. With a reporter behind them recording everything I don't think they could let all their emotions out for the world. Its sad the video is painful to watch.

It just occurred to me that maybe that particular spot was a place BL frequented. I've heard it reported that the area was on the list CL gave the FBI, but maybe so was that spot.

Very possible; with how this whole thing has progressed I could see the parents saying. "hey, he is already deceased, nothing is changing that" "let's wait til it all calms down and the search concludes and we can go say goodbye to him on our own terms" JMO

There appeared to be a hole in one of the lower corners of the bag. I can't imagine how that happened unless an animal nibbled at it to get inside. Although it appears as if it were torn. I wonder what would cause a tear to a bad meant to be kept intact so the contents remained dry? Otherwise, a dry bag should NOT have a hole in it. It defeats the purpose of the bag.

Pic of hole attached.
View attachment 318280

Source: FBI will provide update after possible human remains found in manhunt for Brian Laundrie

At first glance I thought that bag had a hole, but now I think the black bits at the bottom are part of another latch system similar to what's at the top -- for keeping the bag rolled up or compressed or however one would describe the mechanics of how a dry bag works.

MOO

Agreed, only reaction was the "mini-conference" which I speculate was a "how do we proceed" discussion. Trying to put myself in their shoes, if my husband went off trail and unexpectedly came back with a bag that belong to my "missing" "fugitive" son then I would be rattled for starters. But this instance isn't shown exactly on camera is it? So may be we are missing parts of what transpired???

Was Diesel anywhere near that area where remains were found. Did he say? jmo
Let me see if I can find the episode on YouTube. Sometimes her show will have a whole episode posted. He was in the set of K9s brought out to the area but i don’t remember anything more specific than that. I’ll try to find it & see if it’s posted yet.

Pic of hole attached.
View attachment 318280

I also wonder this. They are by no means indestructible, and this is not a high end model. But this model is the sturdiest of the 5 or 6 I own

jmo

I've hesitated to say much about the Laundries and what they have or have not done. I truly don't know what I would do in their situation, as I've stated before. But this much I can say. I tend NOT to show my emotions in public. I'm a wreck when I get home, but not in public. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member