IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there are bite marks involved, it’s going to be a battle. Bite mark analysis is very controversial and I believe the Innocence Project (among others) considers it junk science. Forensic dentistry - Wikipedia

(
by way of analogy, lots of people were convicted of now-debunked fire science, like “alligator” patterns. See eg https://www.robsonforensic.com/arti...f-origin-cause-investigations-expert-article/)

JMO.

I was thinking there could be DNA in any bite marks via saliva.

I have seen quite a few cases where rapists were convicted by saliva on the victim's body rather than other body fluids. Prosecutors would want this type of testimony to come in through the lab reports IMO.

Update:

10/18/2021 = Order Issued
Order on Defendant's Motion for Change of Venue
Noticed: Harrington, Patrick K
Noticed: Hughes, Shay Justin
Noticed: Corum, Sandra

11/12/2021 = Pretrial Conference
Session: 11/12/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

12/07/2021 = Jury Trial
Session: 12/07/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

She was found by police , chained in his basement.
If there are bite marks involved, it’s going to be a battle. Bite mark analysis is very controversial and I believe the Innocence Project (among others) considers it junk science. Forensic dentistry - Wikipedia

(
by way of analogy, lots of people were convicted of now-debunked fire science, like “alligator” patterns. See eg https://www.robsonforensic.com/arti...f-origin-cause-investigations-expert-article/)

JMO.
What battle? She was found by police , naked and chained in his basement. What more do they need?

As for the forensics, and whether there is proof of SA or not---I don't think the jury will care about that so much. She was lured to his home, kidnapped, stripped, chained to the basement, bitten by his dog, groped by him, terrified for her life...That in itself would get him a lot of prison time, wouldn't it?

The only reason she wasn't SA'd, if she wasn't, was because cops returned and banged on his door with a warrant.

Last edited:

What battle? She was found by police , naked and chained in his basement. What more do they need?

As for the forensics, and whether there is proof of SA or not---I don't think the jury will care about that so much. She was lured to his home, kidnapped, stripped, chained to the basement, bitten by his dog, groped by him, terrified for her life...That in itself would get him a lot of prison time, wouldn't it?

The only reason she wasn't SA'd, if she wasn't, was because cops returned and banged on his door with a warrant.

I don’t disagree with you. I was just saying that bite mark analysis is considered a junk science by many - obviously and thankfully, there are more ways to tie him to the victim.

I think they just mean a battle on the expert reports as to that specific piece of evidence. If the client does not want to take a plea deal, the defense lawyer really does have a duty to challenge each piece of evidence to make sure the state meets its burden. If the evidence is strong, all your efforts don't really matter like you point out. But they will still want to challenge any "new" or controversial scientific evidence just because it is their job.

No change of venue, Lafayette-area jurors will decide his fate:

Indiana kidnapping, child molesting suspect denied change of venue

Replying to my own post so that the source of the article is listed - here is a quote from the judge's decision denying the request to move the trial out of Tippecanoe County:

Tippecanoe Superior 2 Judge Steve Meyer held a hearing on the motion for a change of venue on Aug. 31, and he issued his order Monday, denying Chadwell's request.

"One report stated that Defendant 'is not the first person accused of an abduction crime who has been investigated as a person of interest in the Delphi murders' and that 'None of the other people of interest turned out to be a suspect,'” Meyer wrote in his order, citing reports published by the Journal & Courier.

He also said in his decision that many of the articles speculating about the link between Chadwell and the Delphi murders were published by outlets located outside of Tippecanoe County.

Last edited:
10/22/2021 = Change of Plea Hearing
Session: 10/22/2021 12:00 PM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

11/12/2021 = Pretrial Conference
Session: 11/12/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P
12/07/2021 = Jury Trial
Session: 12/07/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

That's interesting. I wonder if this plea change comes with a lesser sentence. And still no word from Carroll County as to whether or not they are still looking at him for the murder of Abigail and Liberty. Personally, I don't believe he is the killer but by not issuing a statement LE is playing mind games with the real killer. That is, he would like to know what they know. I don't believe LE would have signed a lease on a separate building if they had a strong belief JBC was the killer.

That's interesting. I wonder if this plea change comes with a lesser sentence. And still no word from Carroll County as to whether or not they are still looking at him for the murder of Abigail and Liberty. Personally, I don't believe he is the killer but by not issuing a statement LE is playing mind games with the real killer. That is, he would like to know what they know. I don't believe LE would have signed a lease on a separate building if they had a strong belief JBC was the killer.

I hope he was not allowed to plea down. He needs a life sentence. Society needs for him to get a life sentence!
I’m not discounting JBC for Delphi until he’s discounted by LE. Maybe clearing this case will hurry things along toward a resolution, one way or another.

Last edited:
What a monster. There is a special place for people who hurt a child.
There certainly is in prison. Child molesters/murderers are the lowest form of prison society and as such face a horrible future in prison. It makes it even more interesting to me that he pleads guilty. A prison sentence where he is not in the general prison population?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0