Found Safe UK - Antonino Coppola, 23, from Richmond, Surrey, missing from Bow, East London, 16 Sep 2021

The brother of a man who went missing more than a month ago is renewing the appeal for information.

Antonino Coppola, 23, was last seen on Thursday, 16 September at around 12.46pm leaving Bow Road Station towards Mornington Grove.

Coppola left his luggage with a friend after feeling unwell and has not been seen since.

Coppola’s brother Niko, 30, told South West Londoner: “My brother has always had the ability to be loved by anyone, no one will ever be able to say a negative word about him.

“He is sunny, friendly and always ready to help others.”

Richmond police issued three CCTV images showing Coppola leaving Bow Road station on September 16.

The 23-year-old is originally from Positano, Italy, and has been living in London for the past two years after living in Sydney for a year.

Coppola’s brother said he was thrilled to start a new job as assistant manager on Friday, 20 September after years of experience in the hospitality sector, hoping to open his own Italian restaurant one day.

Niko said: “He has always stood out for his commitment at work and how he relates to customers.”

Posters of the 23-year-old have been put up in the area near Bow Road station urging people to report sightings or any information about Mr Coppola.

Detective Inspector Sian Hutchings, leading the investigation, said: “Antonino’s disappearance is completely out of character and his family and friends are desperate to hear from him.

“I would appeal directly to Antonino to get in contact so we can let them know you are safe and well. I would also ask anyone who has seen Antonino or knows where he is to get in touch.”

Brother of missing man appeals for information a month after his disappearance

From above:

start a new job as assistant manager on Friday, 20 September

So this contradicts the story from elsewhere that he was due to start work as a waiter, so no downgrading from AM - which doesn't help much, admittedly, but shows he was being employed on same level as previous.

Last edited:
From above:

So this contradicts the story from elsewhere that he was due to start work as a waiter, so no downgrading from AM - which doesn't help much, admittedly, but shows he was being employed on same level as previous.

These contradictions concern me. There have been errors in the information from the beginning, e.g. Bow Street or Bow Road.

The language barrier may be an issue. I have seen just such a scenario before where a foreign national missing in London was not linked to an accidental death for many months, because of the lack of clarification between police and family/friends.

It is essential for the police to check, double check and triple check that the full circumstances have been correctly understood and that assumptions have not been made. Opportunities could have been missed as a result.

There needs to be a single point of contact for press releases, which are approved and checked by the investigating officer for accuracy before being authorised.

These contradictions concern me. There have been errors in the information from the beginning, e.g. Bow Street or Bow Road.

The language barrier may be an issue. I have seen just such a scenario before where a foreign national missing in London was not linked to an accidental death for many months, because of the lack of clarification between police and family/friends.

It is essential for the police to check, double check and triple check that the full circumstances have been correctly understood and that assumptions have not been made. Opportunities could have been missed as a result.

There needs to be a single point of contact for press releases, which are approved and checked by the investigating officer for accuracy before being authorised.
Totally agree. It’s easy to rely too much on Google translate and not enough familiarity with either language. I do hope AN’s family have a bilingual family liaison officer or a translator at hand. AN’s brother spoke good English when interviewed by BBC news London a couple of weeks ago. But details are essential, not just as far as language is concerned but also intercultural communication and understanding IMO.

From above:

We don't know - maybe that's what he told his family, or perhaps the brother just assumed it was a similar post to his previous one.

Totally agree. It’s easy to rely too much on Google translate and not enough familiarity with either language. I do hope AN’s family have a bilingual family liaison officer or a translator at hand. AN’s brother spoke good English when interviewed by BBC news London a couple of weeks ago. But details are essential, not just as far as language is concerned but also intercultural communication and understanding IMO.
Sorry, I meant AC (not AN)

These were comments I put on the media thread about it:

Note: on google translate the Italian MSM from Thu 7 Oct states: ‘where he passed away’. This seems to be a mistranslation and is more akin to: from where he went missing, or from where he disappeared. I have not seen any news or police information/reports that indicate he has passed away (which means deceased/dead).

I know Google translate isn't the best, but when I translated this Italian article into English, it kept talking about his "sudden death" and that he had passed away?! Positano, è un mese dalla scomparsa di Antonino Coppola, domani momento di preghiera. Rinnoviamo appello a ritrovarlo - Positanonews
Maybe the word for disappear and death in Italian can be similar/the same?
Scomparso in Italian can mean ‘missing/disappeared’ or ‘dead/passed away’, depending on context. La scomparsa is ‘the disappearance’ or ‘death/sudden death’. Google often doesn’t grasp the difference in context and translates it wrongly.

These were comments I put on the media thread about it:

Note: on google translate the Italian MSM from Thu 7 Oct states: ‘where he passed away’. This seems to be a mistranslation and is more akin to: from where he went missing, or from where he disappeared. I have not seen any news or police information/reports that indicate he has passed away (which means deceased/dead).
Yes, we talked about this same issue at the time.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

What I will say though is that this is a live investigation, with all number of possibilities, not all of them savoury.

If you have found something, which you feel may be of relevance then don't post it on here. Report directly to the Metropolitan Police and leave it at that. This is one of the terms of service.

Messaging relatives is also ill advised and against the terms of service unless they are verified by WebSleuths.

This is very real and your post is in the public domain. Please consider that it could undermine a line of enquiry and/or create unnecessary risk of harm.

Last edited:
Whitehall, how does anyone actually know that LE are actively working a case though? (I don’t mean Antonino, necessarily, and I know a lot of hours is needed sometimes for the smallest gains). How does the public genuinely know when to say that the progress overall on missing people or a missing person is not as good as it should be? (I don’t mean close family, who of course want loved ones back and nothing else may be enough).

Whitehall, how does anyone actually know that LE are actively working a case though? (I don’t mean Antonino, necessarily, and I know a lot of hours is needed sometimes for the smallest gains). How does the public genuinely know when to say that the progress overall on missing people or a missing person is not as good as it should be? (I don’t mean close family, who of course want loved ones back and nothing else may be enough).

Every missing person investigation is different. This particular one may have external influences, in which case the progress and position are not publicised.

UK police only provide limited information when the assistance of the public is essential in furthering the investigation. This is not the default position in the UK and investigations will predominantly take place in a confidential way for many pertinent reasons.

Every missing person investigation is different. This particular one may have external influences, in which case the progress and position are not publicised.

UK police only provide limited information when the assistance of the public is essential in furthering the investigation. This is not the default position in the UK and investigations will predominantly take place in a confidential way for many pertinent reasons.

Thank you so much for this. I haven't been on here for long and saw some other users do the same thing, so didn't realise, apologies. However, I did pass on information to the police. I have just been on the phone to them and they were very helpful and grateful.

Thank you so much for this. I haven't been on here for long and saw some other users do the same thing, so didn't realise, apologies. However, I did pass on information to the police. I have just been on the phone to them and they were very helpful and grateful.

Thank you so much

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back