Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Status
Not open for further replies.
People want the killer to face justice.
The only POI was BL. He now is dead.

One thing that can happen is the truth coming out.

Brian comes home. Flies back to Gabby. Returns with her van, but no Gabby.
What did Brian tell his parents?
Why didn’t they talk with the Petitos, to at least tell them where is Gabby?
No one responded to the Petitos and the Laundries went family camping!
Then Brian goes missing. Still no communication.
Gabby was STILL missing.
What happened to Gabby Petito?
What evidence does the FBI have?
How did Brian die?
Officially, who killed Gabby?

These are the questions the world is asking.

Well, GP's family stated they called the Laundries on Sept 10, not before. So the camping trip on the 6th is irrelevant to those calls.
JMO

I'm not convinced they did.
From the timeline based on links we already have

13th Brian takes the Mustang out to the Wildlife Preserve allegedly to hike.
13th CL goes to the preserve later the same day, to look for him per SB

14th CL & RL go to the preserve again & see the Mustang is still there but now has a ticket on it. They decide to leave the car there as he might come back to the car. He doesn't
15th CL & RL go to the preserve again & decide to bring the Mustang back.

Now see Bertolino's claim that he informed the FBI when BL didn't return the first night although they did not make an *official* missing persons report til later in the week ( formal)

Hopefully when the FBI releases more details to conclude their investigation, they will confirm some of these officially

This is exactly my take on the situation, as well. JMOO

That doesn't seem right. If that's true then all LE/courts would need to do to break 5th amendment protections is drum up a civil suit against a suspect and force them to speak.

You're right, it's not right. You always have the right to refuse to answer questions that could incriminate you. You can refuse to testify in a civil case on the basis that what you say can be used against you in a criminal proceeding. You just sit there and refuse to speak by invoking your 5th amendment right.

Obviously most people are not under criminal investigation so if you just pop up during your civil lawsuit and say you invoke your right to not incriminate yourself, the jurors can interpret that as odd in the civil case. So people do try to avoid getting themselves involved in civil cases when they have criminal charges pending against them.

If the issues are concurrent, you always try to get the civil case stayed pending the outcome of the criminal case. But when there's no active criminal case it's more tricky since judges like to keep cases moving.

Eight years ago I wrote ‘that’ note for my family, swallowed a bottle of pills, that was hard, the second one was even harder-the hardest thing I’ve ever made myself do. I’m alive talking to y’all so I was found in time. The bravest thing I’ve ever done is look each one in their face, beg for forgiveness and start all over. The police kept that note. Everyone read it including police and first responders. They let my family call my oldest daughter and read it on the phone. They said the only way I could retrieve it is to go and sign for it. It’s still there at the PD in some old file folder in a dusty box…

We are so glad. you are still with us, as you help so many survivors...survive.

I think that facing a life in prison, on top of the other reasons why a person might want to die, must be really really awful.

For those just arriving here: this is confirmed by the Denver FBI using dental records.

'Bones' found at North Port reserve belong to Brian Laundrie: FBI
One of the things that I find so striking about this case is how many experienced experts were wrong. Wrong about most everything- and consistent with their wrongful predictions. Wrong about where Brian went. Wrong about Brian’s intent to flee. Wrong about the Carlton Reserve. Wrong about whether or not BL was the type to commit suicide. It has really made me step back & consider how many other assumptions are also wrong. There is much, much we don’t know & much we may never know. Horrible event for two families. And for everyone with a son or daughter anywhere. jmo

I don't want to be the attorney's pal, but there is nothing he has done that we know of that would approach an ethical or legal breach
There are many aspects of his representation that have reasonably raised eyebrows from a legal ethics perspective. Because the potential for a criminal trial of BL is now moot, there may be nothing to make of his choices, but choosing to represent 3 related people in a national missing person/homicide investigation case, in a jurisdiction(s) in which he is not admitted, on a scale he has not ever dealt with, as a solo practitioner, in a subject-matter area that is not his top practice area is a lot to manage. Again, in and of themselves, those are not clear ethical breaches, especially where the case ended, but most attorneys would think long and hard about it and would be exceedingly precise and careful in their day-to-day handling of all aspects of the representation.

A civil lawsuit would be a waste of money, time and would be a media circus. 2 families lost a child. Nothing will bring them back. Justice for Gabby I believe lies in her newly formed foundation. Money should be directed there, not paying lawyers. JMO
THIS!
I hope that all departments involved will be able to provide Gabby's family with whatever facts are available, hopefully this will help other's in future case's.

I agree with you. The only think is they still don't know exactly what happened. That is something they as parents would want to know. I believe they will need that information to finally move on. JMO

Since most likely there was an argument or conflict and BL lost control it seems to me the only thing left to know is what prompted the fight. It could have been something big like a break up or something ridiculously small. The prior incidents seem to indicate BL was struggling with self control. IMO most of the events prior to the murder and after are pretty well documented. Even if BL went to trial I don't know that Gabby's family would ever really know exactly what happened. IMO

Since Gabby's parents can't sue the Laundrie family for criminal charges against him, I still feel that they could bring a Civil Suit against them for Wrongful Death against his "estate" with his parents as executors maybe, <modsnip>? Thinking of how the Goldman's sued OJ's estate. The burden of proof is much lower in a Civil Suit.
Does Brian Laundrie have an estate? He worked for a grocery store. Does he own the Mustang? Does he own part of the van?

Burner phones don't work like they do on tv. Any law enforcement can track a burner phone and trace it to you with in a few hours.

You buy a burner phone from x company with cash.

You insert sim and connect to a tower. Your phone then follows you around moving from tower to tower.

The police put up a cheap and easy to use spoof tower. Every cellphone in the area will now connect to the that tower, the police set it to forward to a normal tower. Open source software like openbts is used. It does not collect any information that is encrypted, so completely legal with out a warrent But it collects the open sim number from your burner phone.

In this case. They put a tower next to laundries home collect the numbers. Wait until the leave the area, follow them and collect the numbers. The numbers that follows them around is their burner phone. Then you get a search warrant for that sim.

Even in large crowds, they simply spoof the tower, take pictures of the group, then follow the people around isolating one sim at a time. Using photo id software to get names.

This has been a problem for a long time and the FBI has been using it for a long time. Random search

The FBI Uses Fake Cell Towers to Do Real Spying

Stingrays, while incredibly effective rely also on very important factor. People who hold on to burner phones simply too long and don't follow the basic principals of using a burner phone. Mexican cartels have a pretty solid track record of using them well (obviously not perfect)

Rural areas are also easier to identify. They were literally using thermal imaging overnight at Carlton Reserve. It's a basic technology at their disposal and if there was any phone in Carlton Reserve, they'd be on it with ease. Not hard to isolate any ping within that area which is why I never once believed he had a phone. Just my take

The poster you responded to suggested that BL's estate be sued, not his parents. It would be an action to gain information through depositions, but it would be painful for both families. I do not think BL has an estate that would cause any normal lawyer to take such a case on contingency - they'd have to want to do it to help Gabby's family. Would a judge rule that the Laundrie parents could be deposed in such a case? I have no idea - but I'm thinking that wouldn't really work. The people who would need to be deposed would be SAR personnel in Wyoming, LE, coroner, etc.

Not sure at all what Gabby's family would gain from that, that they don't already have access to. Brian's full coroner report, I guess, if for some reason that is withheld.
I would want all of the phone records from 8/27 until now - from all parties -
JMO

Are you sure re BBM? I remember that quote differently. He said that the media had basically butchered her replies, which the media then accepted. She herself was blazing that it had been intimated - via TV editing - that she was a liar

As for her going outside, she had so-called protesters yelling outside her home with her kids crying & as she said, they'd now found out awful news about Aunt Gabby from people screaming outside.

As for the rest of the details - I have no idea why they got their date wrong & it's not my job to defend them.
I just like to aim for some accuracy - less confusion is a good thing

Accuracy seems to be lacking a lot in this case. How anyone could forget when they last saw their son that they reported missing is beyond me. Confusion is a central theme as one can hardly keep up with constantly changing narrative. What is true and supposedly accurate one day, changes soon after. IMO.

Civil suits are sometimes used to force discovery and I’m thinking this could reveal answers to questions. And the respondents (laundries) have no fifth amendment right to no self incrimination.
How can they sue the parents since they were 2000 miles from the murder site and there is no evidence connecting them to the murder.

But he was wanted before he died. Not for murder but for credit card fraud. He was wanted.
Seconding this. Definite fact he was wanted, & he was pursued in a manner that appears to have been for way, way more than unauthorized use of a card. He was stated to be by LE a POI in a murder. The minimization of this really troubles me.

Last edited:
I have no idea what he was thinking.

However, it definitely takes thought to set your belongings in one place then go to another place nearby in the uncomfortable, wet, and pretty icky location where you'd been hiding than it does to kill yourself right there with your stuff. So if he wasn't wearing the bag/pack and it was a self-inflicted death, then he was making some decisions and having some coherent thoughts
But he may have succumbed to dehydration and allergic reactions to all the bug bites and other unhealthy conditions. The heat and humidity may have played a role in his death - heat stroke and dehydration can cause a host of behavioral issues. JMO

In the uk we have a law called clares law which allows a partner to request (through the police) if their partner has ever had any abuse allegations or arrests in their past. I did it on my husband after being abused previously and it helped me feel a little better going into the new relationship. MOO
YES!! I hope this finally comes to the states!
For too long, women have had to rely on gossip to save their lives. How else would you know if someone was an abuser and to stay away unless another victim warned you? Domestic violence can be tracked and prevented!

If there really had been 4 feet of "often moving" water there, as locals have described, I wonder, if he did kill himself if he was tied down some way to make sure he stayed put. But if the water was really that high, you'd think an alligator would have found him. Or maybe one did.

I still would have to be convinced he didn't just meet with an accident. And given that the notebook was not protected is another clue. IMO
I don’t think he thought it would take this long for someone to find him. IIRC we had unusual rains during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken