Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were at Grand Floridian when that happened. I probably will never get past it either. I had to ask my husband to go to the front desk to ask for our room to be moved to somewhere that I couldn't see the lake.

A few people here have mentioned the peace and beauty they find in the swamps and I appreciate that, because I've felt such HORROR at the thought of anyone going near a swamp, a lake, or a puddle in Florida. I'm so terrified of alligators. I still won't (and probably never will) go anywhere off well-lit concrete in Florida.
I pictured going in there & the only way I could imagine doing so would be to walking around wearing a shark cage. I'm sure it's beautiful but there is just way too much prehistoric life going on for me! JMO

What are the signs of his abuse towards Gabby, please?

Also, how did he manipulate LE?

TIA

IMO In addition to the bodycam footage, there are the 911 calls, the Moab witnesses, and the assessment by the ranger at the Moab stop who said that she told Gabby she was in a toxic relationship.

IMO There are also clues in what Gabby's friend Rose said, although her credibility has been questioned.

Some signs are subtle. I wish I could tell you each one, but it's been awhile since I viewed the bodycam footage and I've tried to put it out of my mind.

The signs of abuse were discussed at length and in excruciating detail in hundreds of incredibly informative and educational posts here.

If you don't want to wade through those, I'd search the many news programs, YouTube videos, etc about Gabby's case that contain interviews with DV experts and victims.

Seeing the bodycam footage, and the case in general, through the eyes of abuse victims has been enlightening for many, many people.

As others have noted, one positive out of this horrible mess is that it has brought forth discussion and education on physical and non-physical abuse.

MOO

I just can't get over the fact that they repeatedly stated with confidence that they KNEW where BL was. They didn't know. The statement they released today basically admitted it, saying they were "working with the best intelligence on what we thought at the time." They lied to the community, which to me is a massive breach of trust and confidence. They could have equivocated, they could have said, "The Laundrie attorney says BL is in such-and-such place," or even "The Laundrie family is not releasing that information," but instead NPPD stated several times that they knew his whereabouts. If they hadn't made those statement, if they hadn't pretended that they had BL in their sights, I wonder if efforts might have begun sooner to keep tabs on him, officially or unofficially.

I hope, if nothing else, that LE will take that to heart going forward on future cases, and not give a false sense of security to the community when something like this happens again. If you don't know where your POI is, haven't had a single set of eyes on him to confirm he's in your jurisdiction, please don't say you do.
I totally agree with everything you posted. IMO, if they had indeed known where he was, he would be alive today.

"Burner" phones, like "ghost" guns, are just a term that makes things sound more sinister than they are. A burner is just a prepaid phone, typically cheap enough that the cost of buying another one each week is not a major expense.
MOO "Burner" phones, like "ghost" guns, are devices manufactured to evade detection by lawful means. MOO

I stand corrected.
I could have sworn the Petito family said they included Cassie in their frantic calls/texts.
I guess only the phone records would confirm if Cassie's phone ever received those calls.

They did try to contact Cassie. Joe Petito said it on Dr. Phil.

As I say further up on the thread with generic delicacy, there are relatively inexpensive ways and databases to pay in order to get people's phone numbers, including cellular numbers.

IMO, that's a lot of extensive phone numbers for the Petitos/Schmidts not to be able to locate by any means.

4 different Laundries, 5 if we count Cassie's husband, and every single number they dialed for them was wrong or nonfunctional?

Especially since, IME, parents of school-age children such as Cassie still have a landline in addition to a cell phone, just to make sure they don't miss any calls from a school?

Gabby knew the nephews to be able to address them by name, but Joe and Nicole didn't know Cassie and her husband's names?

It's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely, IMO. Plus the fact that thousands of people everywhere were eager to help them find Gabby - how much do you want to bet that some of them offered a wealth of location/locating tips on how to get more addresses/phone numbers?

The more people you try to contact, the less likely it is that all 100% of them fail to receive your calls; and that's just basic probability.

You are absolutely correct. I've solely handled one estate now and assisted on a two others (two different states). My intention was to point out that there is likely no monetary value involved. I should have clarified. I do understand that one can still sue an *estate* regardless of any assets for deposition/information purposes.

MOO.
I agree with you, @Coquette. I expect we will find he's judgment proof. MOO

CL did not find Brian's remains. LE did.

"Earlier today investigators found what appears to be human remains along with personal items, such as a backpack and notebook, belonging to Brian Laundrie," Michael McPherson, special agent in charge of the FBI's Tampa office, told reporters."

"Apparent human remains found after Brian Laundrie's possessions located in Florida nature reserve" Apparent human remains found after Brian Laundrie's possessions located in Florida nature reserve
JMO, but BL's father may not have laid eyes on BL's remains but his finding led them to find his remains very close to this area.

CL did not find Brian's remains. LE did.

"Earlier today investigators found what appears to be human remains along with personal items, such as a backpack and notebook, belonging to Brian Laundrie," Michael McPherson, special agent in charge of the FBI's Tampa office, told reporters."

"Apparent human remains found after Brian Laundrie's possessions located in Florida nature reserve" Apparent human remains found after Brian Laundrie's possessions located in Florida nature reserve

Whatever CL found, it looked as though he knew exactly where to find it. I would think the odds of him getting struck by lightning while riding a pink elephant would be better than the odds of him walking straight to his son's belongings in a nature preserve that consists of thousands of acres. IMO.

It's a bitter way to go. I can't say for sure what I'd be thinking, but I think I'd be more worried about myself and my healing. Particularly as the potential accessory after the fact concept, even if actionable, doesn't have to do with the actual cause of GP'S death. It would be, it seems, more an act of revenge than of accountability.
But, you know that discovery = answers. MOO

Do we know if the Schmidt/Petito families have Gabby's stuff back yet?

Were all of Gabby’s belongings that she brought on the trip still left in the van? How could BL have told his parents that she went off with friends, etc, when her clothes, wallet, phone, keys were in the van?

I hope they can determine approximate date of death. You'd think Florida they'd be used to the hot wet weather in death investigations so maybe it won't be as big of a challenge as I'm imagining?
IWT it would depend on how much tissue (if any) was left to examine.
Sorry to be so specific. Hopefully those who may be triggered or traumatized by post mortem discussions are taking a breather from the thread. Over the years I've been able to develop a more clinical view, separating the remains from the living soul.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Brian takes the Mustang out to the Wildlife Preserve allegedly to hike. His parents go a couple of days later to get the parked Mustang and drive it to their home; thereby, leaving Brian without a way to travel when or if he decided to leave the Wildlife Preserve. How does one actively abandon one's own child?
Snipped for focus

I have a hard time understanding this at all. It's not as though BL had no way to travel. Why would he have to have a car? He could have walked and hitched if the car wasn't there any more?

What bothers me is that it wasn't removed sooner. We still don't know if it had re-supply in it.

MOO "Burner" phones, like "ghost" guns, are devices manufactured to evade detection by lawful means. MOO

As someone who watched "The Wire", can confirm (lol).

"burner" phones are intended to be "churned and burned".

Pay-as-you-go phones or, as some call them, "PYG phones", are (most likely) legitimate phones with limited calling capabilities that you have to continue topping up per minutes.

A "burner phone" literally means you can afford to "burn" it, i.e. be prepared to chuck it into a trash can/snap it in half at a moment's notice.

I pictured going in there & the only way I could imagine doing so would be to walking around wearing a shark cage. I'm sure it's beautiful but there is just way too much prehistoric life going on for me! JMO
lol I have been kind of rolling around in my mind if my bear spray would work in there. We used to water ski in the intracoastal waterway near Melborne and I spent 3 years in Gainesville, near ponds, in the soggy woods, never saw an alligator. But while waterskiing we would go right past snakes swimming in the water near shore with their heads held up, now I would be petrified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288