Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #76

Status
Not open for further replies.
That SB "could have handled it better" is an understatement. Let's not forget that these were his statements during those days just after BL supposedly left for the park, before NPPD knew BL was missing:

9/14: “This is understandably an extremely difficult time for both the Petito family and the Laundrie family. It is our understanding that a search has been organized for Miss Petito in or near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. On behalf of the Laundrie family it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is reunited with her family. On the advice of counsel, the Laundrie family is remaining in the background at this juncture and will have no further comment.” Source

9/15: “In my experience, intimate partners are often the first person law enforcement focuses their attention on in cases like this and the warning that 'any statement made will be used against you' is true, regardless of whether my client had anything to do with Ms. Petito's disappearance. As such, on the advice of counsel, Mr. Laundrie is not speaking on this matter. This formality has not really changed the circumstances of Mr. Laundrie being the focus and attention of law enforcement and Mr. Laundrie will continue to remain silent on the advice of counsel*," Source

I agree with this (and that he's angry at the media). He might have had some idea of how to manage things in the legal realm (although that is arguable), but he had no clue of the media s***storm that would come and that he would only make worse by how he responded. He was so far in over his head. Regardless, I think the outcome would not have been different -- nothing he could have done would have prevented BL from ending his life. Actually, his actions did add fuel to the fire of public opinion, so in that respect, he made it even worse for the Ls. JMOO
Again, I'm probably in the minority here, but I have far less blame for SB than I do for the Laundrie family. At any time the Laundrie family could have made the choice to do right by Gabby, even against the advice of their attorney. Their attorney had no relationship with Gabby, owed her nothing, but the Laundries can't make the same claim. As for not being able to stop his son from leaving? CL could easily have called the police the moment his son left the driveway. He chose not to and while it's not his fault his son made a decision to most likely go out there and die that day, there was plenty he could have done to prevent it.

IMO when he left for the reserve the police had been to his home days prior, 9/11. IIRC Before that he carrying on as normal - camping, mowing the lawn. I think the trigger was LE showing up and asking questions. The gig was about to be up. IMO

I forgot about that. I believe that was a factor too, combined with pressure online.

He couldn’t go anywhere online without Gaby’s name and face popping up. So forgetting about her and moving on wasn’t an option anymore.

Combined with LEs visit, the pressure was coming from all directions.

<modsnip>

does anyone have any interview that SB did on the 14th?
9/14:
“This is an extremely difficult time for both the Petito family and the Laundrie family. I understand that a search has been organized for Miss Petito in or near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. On behalf of the Laundrie family, it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is re-united with her family. On the advice of counsel, the Laundrie family is remaining in the background at this juncture and will have no further comment."

After breaking his silence with the statement, Petito's family released the following statement in return:

"The Schmidt and Petito family are going through the worst moments of their lives. Their beautiful twenty-two year old daughter is missing and the one person that can help find Gabby refuses to help. Brian Laundrie was traveling with Gabby in the Grand Teton - Yellowstone area. They were traveling together in Gabby's 2012 Ford Transit van. That is where we believe Gabby was last seen. Brian is refusing to tell Gabby's family where he last saw her. Brian is also refusing to explain why he left Gabby all alone and drove her van to Florida. These are critical questions that require immediate answers. The Schmidt and Petito family beg the Laundrie family to not "remain in the background" but to help find who Brian referred to as the love of his life. How does Brian stay in the background when he is the one person that knows where Gabby is located? The Schmidt and Petito family implore Brian to come forward and at least tell us if we are looking in the right area."

"We don't eat, we don't sleep, we're just actively looking for her," her mother, Nicole Schmidt, said.

"Our officers did respond to an incident involving Brian Laundrie and Gabrielle Petito on 12 August 2021 however, neither Brian or Gabrielle were the reporting party. Officers conducted an investigation and determined that insufficient evidence existed to justify criminal charges," Chief Bret Edge said. Video at link:
Boyfriend of missing Long Island native issues statement through lawyer

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1451404107827367937?t=fEkJMgTsnKbq-0FdDw4b9w&s=19

How did he know two lives were lost on 9/14?

Edit: 5:20ish mark I believe.

I'm not an English native speaker but, i believe SB is talking about two different situations The first being on Sep. 14, where two families "have suffered a great tragedy", and the second, after yesterday's events, "two people that have now (present time) lost their lives".

My question after this interview is, why was BL grieving when he left home?

MOO JMO

Gabby Petito case: Laundrie family attorney speaks out after discovery of Brian's remains

GMA interview

This stood out to me so I transcribed this part of the interview at the end.
Transcribed from interview:
GS: Did Brian tell the Laundries about anything about what happened to Gabby before he disappeared?
SB: George, that's not something I can comment on right now and I'd like to just leave it at that.
GS: Well if you can't comment on it, that means you know something about it.
SB: Well, I think everyone out there knows that the family and myself have some information to share but there's not much we can say at this point and time and I'm just going to leave it at no comment.
GS: Is that because they have been cooperating with the FBI?
SB: I'm sorry, did you say that we were cooperating?
GS: Because you are, because the family is cooperating with the FBI?
SB: Well George, I have been quite clear from the very beginning. When it comes to the FBI, we have absolutely nothing to say with respect to the Gabby Petito incident. With respect to Brian, we've been cooperating from Day 1. And, you know, those are two different, from a legal perspective, those are two different scenarios. One was the missing persons with Brian. One was the missing persons with Gabby.
GS: Is there anything that the Laundries want to say to Gabby Petito's family this morning?
SB: Not at this time. Like I said, George, I haven't spoken to Chris and Roberta. Yesterday was, you know, very hard on them. And I'm sure everyone can imagine. I'm sure at some point in the future, you know, comments may be had.
GS: Mr. Bertolino, thanks very much for your time this morning.
SB: George, thanks for having me. Have a good day.

“Gabby’s family is not doing interviews or making a statement at this time," Petito-Schmidt family attorney Rick Stafford said in a statement to Fox News correspondent Laura Ingle. "They are grieving the loss of their beautiful daughter. Gabby’s family will make a statement at the appropriate time and when they are emotionally ready."
.………………………………………………………………………
Steven Bertolino, the attorney for Brian Laundrie and his parents, gave an animated TV interview on Thursday just half an hour after the FBI confirmed that human remains found in a nature reserve near the family's home belonged to his client.

"I’m upset, I’m angry, and for the last four hours I’ve been dealing with — I just have to call it nonsense," Bertolino told NewsNation on Thursday.

The attorney, who has represented the Laundries since mid-September, took shots at the media, the public, and protesters outside of the family's North Port home.
……………………………………………………………………………
A memorial that has appeared outside of the Laundrie family home in North Port, Fla., has grown following the FBI's confirmation that the human remains recovered from the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park were Brian Laundrie's, according to Fox35 Orlando.
………………………………………………………………………………
Brian Laundrie: Gabby Petito's family issues statement after confirmation of remains: LIVE UPDATES
………………………………………………………………………………
“Chris and Roberta Laundrie have been informed that the remains found yesterday in the reserve are indeed Brian’s,” Steven Bertolino, the attorney representing the Laundrie family said.

“Chris and Roberta Laundrie are parents they are just people they have feelings they have children one of their children has just been confirmed as dead its sad under any circumstances,” the attorney later told NBC News.

Gabby Petito’s family’s attorney said they were “grieving the loss of their beautiful daughter.”
Brian’s Laundrie’s remains found: What happens next? | WFLA
Eta:

MOO... The interview made matters worse. The sympathy and pain I experienced yesterday for BLs parents quickly evaporated and turned to anger, watching this man.

It is clear in my mind, seeing past his tap dance ..the Ls fully cooperated in regards to BL and conversations were had. He cut a deal with the FBI for the parents. He's a slick one alright.

SB report BL missing on the 13/14 to FBI, who may or may not have notified NPPD. 9/17 contacted FBI, again, after "conversations" agreed to file a MPR with NPPD.

All MOO...

This case is so interesting because you can make many scenarios fit the info we know. Based on the SB interview, I now think the parents were probably living a stunned existence as more and more kept coming to light about gabby and Brian. They probably shut everything down and everyone out. It’s possible that the “normal” things Brian was doing right when he returned were good byes because he was going to turn himself in and he knew his life was gone as he knew it. Or suicide was his plan and he wanted to live a normal existence until he made the decision to really go through with it. Or maybe he wasn’t sure he had killed her until her parents started calling. It definitely sounds like he told his parents what happened—accidentally lost control-and they were trying to keep him in the house. Not send him on the run or out to die. Remember when those things (camping, visiting sister, mowing lawn) were happening she was not even declared missing. So maybe Brian convinced himself that she “woke up”. Maybe it was after her parents started calling that he appears to have made the decision to end his life. MOO. Yes-to have left her there is awful and abusive (Alice or dead). Hopefully there will be some answers soon for her family.

If the L’s were so worried about BL leaving because it was so apparent he was grieving and upset why give him your car keys?

SB said the parents can’t stop a 22 year old from leaving, why hand him the keys to enable him an easy way to leave then?

Again, I'm probably in the minority here, but I have far less blame for SB than I do for the Laundrie family. At any time the Laundrie family could have made the choice to do right by Gabby, even against the advice of their attorney. Their attorney had no relationship with Gabby, owed her nothing, but the Laundries can't make the same claim. As for not being able to stop his son from leaving? CL could easily have called the police the moment his son left the driveway. He chose not to and while it's not his fault his son made a decision to most likely go out there and die that day, there was plenty he could have done to prevent it.

I don’t understand why you think CL could’ve called police to prevent his son from leaving? What action would’ve police be expected to have taken at that point, prior to the credit card charges being laid.

BBM
But in hindsight every suicide can be prevented. In hindsight. Homicides too. In hindsight.
JMO

IMO, SB's frequent 'stops' at multiple MSM sites, giving his views and pointing his fingers at others, is more than likely a disguise. IMO, he is shopping for the highest bidder on "The Interview" with the Laundries....

He also may be hoping to do damage control on his career.

Transcribed from interview:
GS: Did Brian tell the Laundries about anything about what happened to Gabby before he disappeared?
SB: George, that's not something I can comment on right now and I'd like to just leave it at that.
GS: Well if you can't comment on it, that means you know something about it.
SB: Well, I think everyone out there knows that the family and myself have some information to share but there's not much we can say at this point and time and I'm just going to leave it at no comment.
GS: Is that because they have been cooperating with the FBI?
SB: I'm sorry, did you say that we were cooperating?
GS: Because you are, because the family is cooperating with the FBI?
SB: Well George, I have been quite clear from the very beginning. When it comes to the FBI, we have absolutely nothing to say with respect to the Gabby Petito incident. With respect to Brian, we've been cooperating from Day 1. And, you know, those are two different, from a legal perspective, those are two different scenarios. One was the missing persons with Brian. One was the missing persons with Gabby.
snipped for length.

BBM. This right here tells me a lot. They are cooperating fully with the FBI on BLs missing persons case but are not with GPs case. This is why the public is suspicious of the Ls. This right here. SB continues to put this narrative out there and he's their lawyer so we take what he says as fact, for better or worse.

And they waited four days to report him missing. In my opinion that is because of what they possibly knew about Gabby and having LE involved was not what they wanted and a last resort. How could they explain having such concern after only 24 hours/48 hours from leaving home . MOO

Ugh, watching SB’s “media tour.” The Laundries and SB are being chewed up and spit out by the incredibly intense international publicity on this case. If SB knew how to give good advice and counsel to his friends he should have told them weeks ago to hire some serious pros for this very very serious situation far beyond his pay scale. Jmo

Last edited:
It certainly appears you are making a great number of assumptions in your explanation. The brief documented violence shows both GP and BL used physical actions towards the other. But given the violence was bi-directional, I'm not sure how we decide what it meant much less use it to attach labels.

Saying Brian was a narcissist certainly sounds like a diagnosis to me. What makes it not a diagnosis? I don't understand why narcissist isn't a diagnosis simply because you "did not say psychopath, with psychosis." Narcissist is still a specific diagnosis (NPD). Just because you didn't say he was psychotic doesn't mean you weren't attaching a mental health label.
JMO

okay. Brian was a murderer.... he killed and it wasn't in self defense. therefore it was some form of mental problem that no i cannot diagnose.

that moab video stemmed from a 911 call where he hit her... that is documented.

anger is not a primary human emotion.... it comes from deeply rooted issues below the anger

so there are facts without throwing 'narcissist' in there subjectively

I will not defend Brian in any way. he murdered her period.

Their son was alive when SB entered the picture, and now he's dead.

I don't see how SB's legal advice factors into any scenario of BL's death. BL voluntarily left his home to go to the reserve. BL may have committed suicide, or had some sort of accident, or died of dehydration/starvation/exposure, or was killed by an animal, or perhaps even another person...but any of these is the result of an adult's voluntary decision to go to the reserve. MOO

For anyone also interested in what's in the drybag, the fox news photographer who took the picture and ig followed the Laundries in the reserve has a very useful twitter account. This post has the image in the previously linked article and says "Here's a closeup of the drybag the #Laundries found yesterday at Myakkahatchee. I didn't get a close look of whatever they put inside of it, which had been laying in the brush nearby. It was somewhat rectangular, but didn't have a uniform shape." So it might not be a box, but like @TL4S suggested it could be l-shaped or like a pyramid. I just can't think of what it could be, but IMO it's decorated somehow (gold thing, what appears to be embossing in the corner).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member