Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #76

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he probably just sees the situation from a different perspective. We now know his clients were involved with the FBI from nearly the start and it was the media that whipped up animosity against them. Now, he is probably watching people he knows suffers through the worst thing that could possibly happen to them and he feels they've been treated unfairly.

In that sense, I have to agree with him. Brian parents were treated unfairly. People can legally follow the advice of their lawyers and say "No comment" without the media acting as though they should be ignoring their attorney and talking. JMOO, but why hire an attorney if you're not going to heed their advice?

What happened is all on Brian and Brian, alone. The media whipped this case into a frenzy, and social media did the same. Considering that half-a-million people go missing in the US every year, it's kind of an anomaly that this happened with this case.

But, in the long run, this case is no more important than the case of any missing/murdered person, and we still need to respect the laws that maintain our rights (the right not to speak).

All MOO.
I agree with all of this. The lawyer, however, could have also simply said “no comment” and people would have felt like there was less contempt coming from the Laundrie household. That’s my perspective at least. If SB didn’t release any statements, I would have felt differently towards the Laundries as the case proceeded. JMO.

Thank you mods for all of your hard work! you guys are truly amazing!
I can't stop thinking about the picture of the dry bag that fox news released yesterday, the one with a black object peeking out of it. I've attached a picture of it below and here is a link to the article with the photo. What is that black, rectangular thing? I thought that it was a notebook. There's what appears to be a gold foil butterfly (IMO) on it. it could be a leaf or something else but IMO it looks like a butterfly. It also appears to be fairly large, you can see the impression it leaves on the dry bag. If the butterfly is on it, that means that it would have to be pretty thick/deep as well. There's some dark black embossing that's shiny and raised on the corner peeking out. Maybe it's one of those big, beefy leather journals with embossing/decoration that you can buy on sites like Etsy? Or because of the dimensions maybe it's a box? I looked on Etsy and google for something similar and can't find anything like it. It seems as though something tore the other bottom corner of the dry bag as well?
Looks like a wooden yo-yo to me ;)

It does make sense. He has been there lawyer for 20 years, they flipped houses, assuming he mostly helped with estate and the other business they owned. They had their wits about them enough to know not to say anything in order to protect their son.
Right but he’s a real estate lawyer. I don’t think they just assumed he’d help them out with this without speaking with him. He could have referred them to a friend or something. I just don’t think they’d hand out his card without speaking with him to see if he’d do this for them. JMO tho.

If there was anything of value in that notebook, I would think he would have placed it in the dry bag.
I think BL and the Petitos may find different things to be of value at that time, JMO. For instance, his ramblings or thoughts may not matter to him to preserve but may make a world of difference to the Petitos just to be able to understand and possibly learn more about their daughter’s last days/moments.

I respect your interpretation. I interpreted it differently. I mean, if they come out that they say BL had nothing to do with GPs death then they would be cooperating to prove their son's innocence to combat all of the circumstantial evidence that we all know of plus whatever the FBI is in possession of.

I think we are interpreting it the same way, I wasn’t clear enough on what I was trying to say.

SB said he has info but can’t share it yet, I take that to mean they have their version but he’s waiting to see what LE comes up with and potentially announces as they close their case.

I don’t think they are helping LE at all right now with anything other than BL using her card and his demise, that’s all BL has been implicated in so far, IMO

Last edited:
For anyone also interested in what's in the drybag, the fox news photographer who took the picture and ig followed the Laundries in the reserve has a very useful twitter account. This post has the image in the previously linked article and says "Here's a closeup of the drybag the #Laundries found yesterday at Myakkahatchee. I didn't get a close look of whatever they put inside of it, which had been laying in the brush nearby. It was somewhat rectangular, but didn't have a uniform shape." So it might not be a box, but like @TL4S suggested it could be l-shaped or like a pyramid. I just can't think of what it could be, but IMO it's decorated somehow (gold thing, what appears to be embossing in the corner).
You all have much better eyes than I do. I wonder how long it will be before LE tells us what's in the bag.

I disagree. The Laundries made it bad for themselves. They could have reached out to the Petito's when Brian first came home without Gabby. They could have returned a text or call when Gabby's family began calling them. They could have encouraged Brian to tell LE what he knew when they first showed up on their doorstep. They could have not acted like defiant heartless animals at any time during this process. While it wouldn't have saved Gabby, it may have saved their son.
At any moment during the past month and a half they had opportunities to do what they knew to be right. They were given advice by their attorney, but they could have chosen to do the right thing for Gabby and the moral thing and sadly that may have saved their son.
oh I 100 hundred percent agree, I was just talking about SB trying to work on his image. Everything the Laundries did was by personal choice whether that was to follow attorneys advice or not. At anytime they can make a statement and say whatever they want

Thank you mods for all of your hard work! you guys are truly amazing!
I can't stop thinking about the picture of the dry bag that fox news released yesterday, the one with a black object peeking out of it. I've attached a picture of it below and here is a link to the article with the photo. What is that black, rectangular thing? I thought that it was a notebook. There's what appears to be a gold foil butterfly (IMO) on it. it could be a leaf or something else but IMO it looks like a butterfly. It also appears to be fairly large, you can see the impression it leaves on the dry bag. If the butterfly is on it, that means that it would have to be pretty thick/deep as well. There's some dark black embossing that's shiny and raised on the corner peeking out. Maybe it's one of those big, beefy leather journals with embossing/decoration that you can buy on sites like Etsy? Or because of the dimensions maybe it's a box? I looked on Etsy and google for something similar and can't find anything like it. It seems as though something tore the other bottom corner of the dry bag as well?
The more I look at the black thing in the bag, the more it looks like a picture frame.

At the very least the Laundries knew something was wrong. Brian left with a fiance and came home alone, in her only mode of transportation. Unless someone is completely braindead it's not difficult to ascertain there's a problem, a big one. So you have a son that has something big going on and if you even want to play the game that he's telling his family they broke up and Gabby's continuing the van life excursion with someone else and won't talk about it, there's still the knowledge that he's going through a hard time. Then your son is "visibly upset", so upset that you want to keep him from going anywhere but can't physically stop him. So while you can't call the police to prevent him from leaving, you call the police to have them help if you think your son is so upset that you're concerned. It's called a public service/wellness check call. Especially since CL knew where Brian was going to. Call LE, let them know the son is upset and you're worried. LE would have gone to the park and perhaps been able to head something off. It's one of the services our LE provides, suicide prevention. But they can't do that if they aren't alerted.

Do we know the Ls feared BL was suicidal and if so why did they? Looking backward, we know he more than likely caused Gabby’s death through strangulation but at the time I doubt his parents would’ve known the true reason he was upset. Every parent knows the pain a relationship breakup causes and ordinarily when adult children are going through bad times, suicide is not at the top of a parents mind.

I don’t know SB but I certainly know his type. IMO he’s a pugnacious small town lawyer, on the outskirts here of NYC where we have the big time lawyers. He knows his field of real estate but he’s likely not a trial lawyer, and not accustomed to the thousand suns of media coverage.

My impression is that as a longtime friend of the Laundries he agreed to give advice when Brian came home without Gabby. Some standard generic legal advice. Maybe as a favor for free. When this became a public case, and then beyond to a worldwide case, a good friend should have said “listen, I’m out of my element here. I’m going to contact someone who can give you better advice.”

That this apparently never happened could be due to the Laundries not being able to afford a lawyer experienced in criminal defense or public relations, or the Laundries just felt more comfortable with good buddy SB, or SB yearning to stay on the case. He may have seen a grand future for himself as a suddenly famous lawyer.

At this point what we know is from what SB has said publicly. IMO not only has he contradicted himself at times but can’t refrain from letting his vitriol show in public. A well-trained lawyer in front of the media should have more of a poker face when being interviewed on national TV. At least adopt a tone of civility, but instead he’s snarling at the public—how bitterly he denounces “John Q. Public” for getting it all wrong.

The Laundries as parents who knew Gabby intimately should have shown compassion to her family at once, even if SB warned them to say nothing specific. From there it was a downward slope for them til they hit rock bottom.

I know they didn’t kill Gabby and neither did SB. But MOO better advice may have led to a different outcome, maybe BL surrendering and still alive to give answers to Gabby’s family.

The parents and attorney knew BL is "visibly upset", notify the FBI and wait for "conversations" before filing a MPR days later. Did SB think the FBI would search for BL avoiding filing or speaking with NPPD?

Why would a person not immediately contact LE and start the mental health process to Baker Act, a son clearly in distress? I'm at a loss here.
Moo

Curious as to his demeanor Sept 1st - 11th. Was he upset because of LE visit on the 11th, confiscating the van, he knew the clock was ticking for LE to come after him. Was he upset/grieving before the 11th? This attorney just keeps making it worse for his parents. Why say they have nothing to say to the Petito’s, why not say they grieve with them for the death of Gabby, offer condolences. He makes them sound like coldhearted uncaring people. Because of all the publicity, they are going to have a terrible time navigating life after this and he was doing nothing to help with that
A wild theory popped into my head.

What if B and G had a fight, he choked her but G did not die there and then but succumbed to her injuries a bit later. By which time he had stormed off, thinking that G was fine. Travelled back to Florida, wallowed in self-pity because in his mind they were simply broken up. And then the police turns up and he realises he actually did more damage than he initially thought. Could explain why he was doing 'normal' things between 1-11 and then suddenly was 'grieving' and went to the reserve?

At the very least the Laundries knew something was wrong. Brian left with a fiance and came home alone, in her only mode of transportation. Unless someone is completely braindead it's not difficult to ascertain there's a problem, a big one. So you have a son that has something big going on and if you even want to play the game that he's telling his family they broke up and Gabby's continuing the van life excursion with someone else and won't talk about it, there's still the knowledge that he's going through a hard time. Then your son is "visibly upset", so upset that you want to keep him from going anywhere but can't physically stop him. So while you can't call the police to prevent him from leaving, you call the police to have them help if you think your son is so upset that you're concerned. It's called a public service/wellness check call. Especially since CL knew where Brian was going to. Call LE, let them know the son is upset and you're worried. LE would have gone to the park and perhaps been able to head something off. It's one of the services our LE provides, suicide prevention. But they can't do that if they aren't alerted.

Nothing was stopping the Laundries from hopping in their truck and following Brian.

Attorney: Brian Laundrie's parents may find out more info on cause of death today

Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino, in an interview with ABC's 'Good Morning America' Friday, says Chris and Roberta Laundrie do not know how Brian died.

"I was informed from law enforcement yesterday that perhaps midday today we may have some more information," he said. "But as of right now, we know as much as you do so."

Brian Laundrie: Gabby Petito's family issues statement after confirmation of remains: LIVE UPDATES

Okay, honest question here.

If BL left--visibly upset--on the 13th and his parents were sure he was at the park, what parent would not be tearing that park apart during every possible daylight hour on those following days, desperate to find him? Keeping in mind that the park wasn't closed to the public until after the missing persons report was officially filed on the 18th. (ETA: Media was already keeping an eye on their house by the 14th, so they would have noticed if they had left for hours at a time)

You would think so but from then until now, he has only made statements with any real concern when it came to BL. He said this morning that they are cooperating fully with the FBI on the BL missing persons case but are not with the GP case. That speaks volumes. I don't know why the Ls are keeping him on. Obviously, there is some missing piece of the puzzle as to why they still are staying with him but if it were me and my lawyer was conducting himself this way, I'd walk. Speculating, they could be stuck because he knows too much? IDK JMO.

Sometimes the advice of a friend comes at a low cost but high price. Nothing to do with this case, just a general observation.

EBM to remove start of a post that I abandoned...

This case is so interesting because you can make many scenarios fit the info we know. Based on the SB interview, I now think the parents were probably living a stunned existence as more and more kept coming to light about gabby and Brian. They probably shut everything down and everyone out. It’s possible that the “normal” things Brian was doing right when he returned were good byes because he was going to turn himself in and he knew his life was gone as he knew it. Or suicide was his plan and he wanted to live a normal existence until he made the decision to really go through with it. Or maybe he wasn’t sure he had killed her until her parents started calling. It definitely sounds like he told his parents what happened—accidentally lost control-and they were trying to keep him in the house. Not send him on the run or out to die. Remember when those things (camping, visiting sister, mowing lawn) were happening she was not even declared missing. So maybe Brian convinced himself that she “woke up”. Maybe it was after her parents started calling that he appears to have made the decision to end his life. MOO. Yes-to have left her there is awful and abusive (Alice or dead). Hopefully there will be some answers soon for her family.

BBM
I agree about his parents possibly being stunned. IMO, you would never even imagine a scenario like this with your child; never imagining it means never thinking through rationally how you would deal with it - who would you call, how would you respond to the other parents texts/calls; and even as things added up, how do you wrap your head around it, accept that your child did something like this? (ETA: and accept that your child is gone.) Even in the face of the facts, it can take people a while to accept things they don't want to believe are real. JMOO.

One other thought -- for all that we know, the Ls could have been begging BL to tell them and LE and GP's family what happened so they could find her.

Again, feeling so much sadness around all of this. And maybe it's my own sense of loss -- it's been fun (?maybe not the right word haha....) engaging with all of you throughout this. I'm thankful to be a part of such a community of smart, knowledgeable, and thoughtful folks. So, thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member