Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #76

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, "keep away" might not be the right term.
Not in a friendly fashion but to be cruel or cause panic.
Yes, if you are holding your phone an angry domestic partner grabs it and refuses to let you have it back. It is illegal. If it is a stranger it would classified as theft.
No one has the right to prevent you from making a call or text.
I would hope no one has done this to you. or violently or aggressively grabbed, shoved, or squeezed your face out of anger and not in a loving gentle manner.

bbm

You are so right. I was just thinking about this yesterday.

What a lucky coincidence that the Bethunes drove past the van when they did. They’re the reason she was found.

Gabby might still not be found. The video helped a lot.

The fact Gabby is a homicide victim speaks volumes to which person was more violent.
Gabby wasn't alive when BL died.

know to look at their video footage on August 27th. This case might have grown cold with no closure for Gabby's parents. I'm glad it did go viral. Let's help others next.
bbm
Pretty much sums it up. :(

Perhaps the Laundries did not do anything illegal by refusing to answer the calls of GP's parents, by their initial refusal to cooperate with LE and by their actions relating to BL's refusal to cooperate. They alone know how those days went, what was said between themselves and their son, and maybe, just maybe, they can live with the regrets in how they handled the situation and/or their part in how their son handled the situation prior to his hike into the swamp. I do wonder how the relationship with Cassie will be going forward. IMO

It's so odd that the two 911 calls do not jive with each other.

One has BL slapping her and then jumping in the van and driving off (with no mention of Gabby attempting to climb through the driver side window, trying to grab her phone - and succeeding in getting inside the van).

Seems like the witness who saw BL drive off would have noticed that.

And no one mentions Gabby scratching BL, even though BL has scratch marks when LE catch up to them.
I have always thought that one caller witnessed the start of the fight and the other witness witnessed the end of the incident when they drove off.
jmho

I know that no one planted a body, but I will just never get over the sight of Dad deliberately walking off the trail with so much purpose, while Roberta just stares into the woods. imo.

In my view, nobody planted anything. But that scene also struck me as odd. His father looked so purposeful as he struck out onto the trail while his mom arrived at a spot on the trail and then seemed frozen there.

*If BL didn’t use Gabby’s card to fly back and forth home, did he take what cash she had for the flight? Or did he take the card and the cash but didn’t use her card until afterwards… Atty previously said both paid for the flight as they shared expenses - paraphrased.

Aug. 17 – 23: Laundrie flies home

Laundrie flew home to Tampa from Salt Lake City on Aug. 17, according to an attorney for his family. The attorney said Laundrie went home to “obtain some items and empty and close the storage unit to save money as they contemplated extending the road trip.”

According to the attorney, Laundrie returned to Salt Lake City to “rejoin Gabby” on Aug. 23.

Aug. 30 – Sept. 1: Laundrie uses debit card
Laundrie is accused of using a Capitol One Bank debit card and a personal identification number for two bank accounts between Aug. 30 and Sept. 1 in Wyoming and elsewhere, according to federal court documents. The documents said he obtained “things of value aggregating to $1,000 or more” using the accounts.

Sept. 1: Laundrie returns alone
Police said Laundrie returned to his parent’s North Port home on Sept. 1 without Petito. A license plate reader at the Sumter Boulevard exit of I-75 detected the white van entering the City of North Port at approximately 10:26 a.m., according to a search warrant.

Sept. 4: Laundrie gets new phone
Laundrie purchased a new phone and opened an account with AT&T on Sept. 4, according to family attorney Steven Bertolino. When asked if Laundrie had a phone while traveling out west with Petito, Bertolino told 8 On Your Side he didn’t know.

Sept. 6: Laundrie camping trip
According to public records obtained by 8 On Your Side, Laundrie’s mother checked into a campground at Ft. De Soto Park on Sept. 6. According to the Laundrie’s family attorney, the family camped from Sept. 6 through Sept. 7 and they all left the park together.

Sept. 11: Petito reported missing, police visit Laundrie home
Concerned family members reported Gabby Petito missing to Suffolk County Police in New York on Sept. 11. They say they had tried filing a missing person report with the North Port Police Department one day earlier.

North Port police confirmed they recovered the van that Laundrie and Petito had been traveling in at the Laundrie family’s home that night. When police visited the home, they did not speak to or see Brian, and the family only handed over information for their attorney, a spokesperson said.

Sept. 12: Laundrie talks to attorney
Attorney Steve Bertolino said he spoke with Laundrie on Sept. 12.

“I can tell you I last spoke to him Sept. 13 and I spoke to him Sept. 12,” he told 8 On Your Side. “Beyond that, there’s nothing further I am going to add.”

Sept. 13: Laundrie leaves home
Laundrie’s parents believe they saw him leave home to go hiking on Sept. 13 – one day earlier than they had originally told police when they reported him missing, the family’s attorney said.

“The Laundries were basing the date Brian left on their recollection of certain events,” Steve Bertolino said. “Upon further communication with the FBI and confirmation of the Mustang being at the Laundrie residence on Wednesday, Sept. 15, we now believe the day Brian left to hike in the preserve was Monday, Sept. 13.”

North Port officers said Laundrie is believed to have entered the Carlton Reserve at the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park.

According to Bertolino, Chris Laundrie went to the park that night to look for his son but couldn’t see anything because it was wet, rainy and dark.

Sept. 14: Abandoned vehicle notice
Laundrie’s family originally said he was last seen on Sept. 14 when he left home wearing a hiking bag with a waist strap, according to police. According to North Port police, an abandoned vehicle notice was placed on the Laundries’ Mustang outside the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park on Sept. 14 at 2:42 p.m. ET.

Bertolino said Chris and Roberta Laundrie both went back to the park and saw the summons on the Mustang. He told us they spent several hours walking around searching for their son but couldn’t go off trail because the park was relatively flooded.

Sept. 15: Laundrie named person of interest
Laundrie was officially named a “person of interest” in Petito’s disappearance by North Port police on Sept. 15 as he refused to cooperate with the investigation.

According to Bertolino, Laundrie’s parents both went back to the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park again on Sept. 15 and brought the Mustang home so it wouldn’t get towed. The family’s attorney told 8 On Your Side the parents believed Brian would find his way home.

Sept. 16: North Port police news conference
North Port Police Chief Todd Garrison voiced his frustration with the lack of answers on Gabby Petito’s disappearance in a news conference on Sept. 16.

“Two people went on a trip. One person returned. And that person that returned isn’t providing us any information,” he said.

A reporter asked Chief Garrison at the news conference, “do you know where Brian Laundrie is right now?” Garrison responded, “yes.”
Brian Laundrie search timeline

May not have said I am invoking my 5th amendment rights, but effectively, that is what he did when he handed Police the Attorney's card. Same thing as asking for an attorney while being questioned. That ends questioning. Period. jmo

CNN shouldn't editorialise though.
Not when they're supposed to be publishing a piece about inconsistencies & he said/they said summaries & comparing quotes

At no point in time was he going to get away with it. Any conscious person know that.
I agree with you, however I do think that BL may have thought he would have a lot more time before Gabby was found. Or maybe even fantasizing that scavengers would “disappear” her and nobody would find out. That’s just me speculating.

I can’t believe we’re still going over this.

Ever heard of that cliche where a battered woman says she tripped? Hit the door handle? Slipped? Was simply clumsy?

It exists for a reason.

I have no doubts that the witness calls to 911 are truthful. One saw them fighting with each other, Gaby climbing over Brian. The other witness saw him slap and hit her, chasing her down the sidewalk.

Being stopped by the police must’ve been terrifying for Gabby after what she just went through. Having to explain yourself in that situation, when it’s hard to even admit things to yourself (like hey I’m in an abusive relationship, this isn’t okay)… the shame and guilt that come with that. The fear of punishment from the abuser for speaking up.

Just because Gaby didn’t admit to the cops on the spot that Brian had slapped her doesn’t make that less true. She pretty much took all the blame, she blamed herself for HIS lack of control over HIS emotions, his actions. It’s because of her behavior that I believe that wasn’t their first rodeo and she was used to excusing and justifying his behavior.

I really wish everyone would just read up on typical dynamics in abusive relationships, victim actions, etc.

ETA - we are going through this again, because the video and the transcript and the statement from Chris - don't jive in my head as being DV. But like I said earlier JMO.

Last edited:
In my view, nobody planted anything. But that scene also struck me as odd. His father looked so purposeful as he struck out onto the trail while his mom arrived at a spot on the trail and then seemed frozen there.

I wonder if they could have gone there in the middle of the night (unlikely) or if they saw him and knew where he was camped when they picked up the Mustang. imo

Interesting.

To say Brian was grieving and thus left the house upset, and dad wishes he would have stopped him, all implies that he told his parents that he strangled her and this is why he was grieving and left the house upset.

[...]

He could have been grieving an alleged breakup with his girlfriend or the fact that she was missing.

Yes, I know that. What I am trying to establish is did Brian actually have the phone? I don't think he did, because Gabby 'caught' him with it (causing injury to him) when trying to get back into the van.

As far as I can tell from the video and the transcript B was trying to create space and it was G who didn't want the space to occur.

What do you think they should have done? Perhaps, both walk in opposite directions and meet up in half an hour? What if the roles were reversed? Because if I reverse the roles based on the transcript, that is the only way I see B as an aggressor.

I know this will not be a popular opinion, but it is my opinion. I don't see DV here. What I do see is a massive falling out between the two of them with more or less equal blame.

You’re more than entitled to your opinion however I’ve been in a position similar to this and lied to police to cover for my ex partner. I didn’t want to be left completely alone in another country in my case, I think you said to me earlier better the devil you know. Unfortunately there is something called reactionary abuse it happens during fight mode. I’ve spoken to professionals about this and is does not make the abused the abuser, it’s a reaction to what’s happening, in gabbys case it was the threat of her van being taken. Considering the courses I’ve been on which explains this behaviour I see DV a million percent. I’d perhaps advise looking into what a typical DV situation can look like to the outside and what it’s like on the inside. MOO

ETA - we’re not suppose to discuss DV on here. I really don’t want the thread to be closed so I think it may be best if the topic is dropped. It can be quite triggering for some including myself. MOO

Last edited:

One has BL slapping her and then jumping in the van and driving off (with no mention of Gabby attempting to climb through the driver side window, trying to grab her phone - and succeeding in getting inside the van).

And no one mentions Gabby scratching BL, even though BL has scratch marks when LE catch up to them.
That incident did not cause anyone's death. It was an incident in a (probably) long series of incidents, but it was public...which may be seen as an escalation...still, it was not the cause of her death. I just don't see why it keeps getting rehashed. It doesn't answer any questions about what happened two weeks later...only that the ultimate escalation of their fights resulted in her death. jmo

It has been the consensus from DV counselors/experts that yes, both Gabby and Brian lied, her to protect him and he to protect himself. In my opinion, I agree. In my opinion it is quite common to lie to LE, refuse to press charges about DV for a myriad of reasons. MOO
Except that they probably assumed they were being pulled over for his speeding. They probably had no idea a third party called 911 for a DV situation, so they wouldn't have had to time to coordinate their stories. Each were interviewed separately... IMO.

Maybe he was also grieving the loss of his life as he knew it up until that moment, as the truth wouldn't be hidden for much longer. He knew accountability was coming.
Yes, it's more likely he was grieving the loss of his own life as he had known it because he certainly didn't appear to be grieving during the Fort De Soto camping trip. Now we all know what condition Gabby was in during that time and he knew it then as he toasted his smores. Where was his grief then?

Yes. Hence my puzzlement.

May not have said I am invoking my 5th amendment rights, but effectively, that is what he did when he handed Police the Attorney's card. Same thing as asking for an attorney while being questioned. That ends questioning. Period. jmo
I see, thank you for clarifying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member