Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1451729741250170886?s=20

The head armorer was 24 years old. That seems awfully young for such a big responsibility. Weapons knowledge is not enough. Real leadership skills are necessary.
I'm almost 27 and I would never trust myself to be head of anything. It sounds like this was possibly caused by nepotism/giving her a chance to break in as head really young, and a lot of times situations like that generally don't end well because hiring committees etc tend to overlook knowledge holes and safety gaffes and just see pedigree.

What we know about Rust

'Rust' explained: What we know about the film production that resulted in tragedy and death

The low-budget production was not a major studio project but an independent film financed by BondIt Media Capital, with CAA Media Finance on board for domestic sales rights and Highland Film Group handling international sales.

“It wasn’t obviously something I was setting out to do, I just loved the story,” Baldwin told the Hollywood Reporter in 2020. “I love Joel’s writing. ‘Love’ is a word that is so overused, but I really do love his writing.”

Way back when they used them to show actors loading real bullets. But I am hearing today that that has not been allowed for many years. How closely is that enforced? Idk?
There isn't any specific law on it but the vast majority of productions do not use real bullets and will just edit shooting action in through SFX in post.

The armorer has to get the entire crew and cast to respect her absolute authority, and adhere to every rule. We don't know what went wrong yet, but I imagine she'll never work in this field again.

We don't know exactly what happened, where she was, or if she was involved. At this point in time, we know of only three people who were part of this, the shooter, Alec Baldwin, and two victims.

"The assistant director did not know live rounds were in the prop gun, the Santa Fe County sheriff's detective wrote in the court document. It was one of three prop guns on a cart that had been set up by an armorer, it said."

.."set up by the armorer"
were all three guns "cold" ?
did anyone else have access to this cart I wonder?

Alec Baldwin was told prop gun was safe before fatal shooting, affidavit says

Way back when they used them to show actors loading real bullets. But I am hearing today that that has not been allowed for many years. How closely is that enforced? Idk?
Idk, but it seems like a set up to me.

We don't know exactly what happened, where she was, or if she was involved.

She's involved by definition: she's responsible for the safe handling of the fire arms. The head armorer must demand that everyone follow the rules and procedures. Could a 24 year old stand up to Hollywood bigwigs much older than herself? It would be tough to do.

Why on earth would there even be a loaded gun on a movie set ? I’ll go back and read the thread as I’m sure it’s been explained, but why? They shoot live rounds while filming for some reason ?? Wth.
I dont know if they shoot live rounds- though they might for realistic bullet impacts etc.

But.... Bruce Lee's son was killed in a movie set shooting accident where the intent was to film live rounds, but then only shoot blank rounds.

In that accident, live rounds were filmed and a bullet (not a round with bullet and casing) was evidently inserted into the barrel of a revolver for a special effect. At some point, the gun was then loaded with blanks- with out taking the bullet out of the barrel.

Eventually, it was handed to an actor who fired it. The blank still had enough power to propel the bullet out of the barrel with lethal force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu