IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news that he took a plea. I have no other WS suitable words for him.

I hope this brings his victim and her family some small measure of comfort and help their path of healing.

Forgive me for asking what has probably been discussed a hundred times, but is he still a candidate for BG?

What's interesting is that he just pled guilty - he didn't "take a plea" in the sense that any of his charges were reduced, apparently.

His attorney had some interesting statements re: the Delphi murders in this article: Change of plea hearing for James Chadwell II in kidnapping case | wthr.com

(Public defender)Hughes had requested the change after some media reports indicated a link between the incident involving the 9-year-old girl and the unsolved murders of two girls in Delphi in 2017. For that reason, Chadwell's attorney had argued his client could not get a fair trial and he wanted a judge to move it.

"Personally, from my opinion, he had nothing to do with that. There's nothing to suggest, that I've seen, that I've been told, that he was part of that. So, I don't believe he had anything to do with the murders of Abigail and Liberty," said Shay Hughes, Chadwell's public defender.

Later in the same article, referring to why Chadwell pled guilty:

Hughes said his client takes responsibility for what happened.

"He owns it," Hughes said.

I think he is still a possible candidate for the murders of Abby and Libby but the possibility of a connection has faded quite a bit with the recent developments. The judge in this case also threw cold water on the idea that he would eventually rise to the level of a suspect in the Delphi case. There is nothing really to suggest that LE in the Delphi case are looking any harder at him than they did at any of the people who the media have so far tried to link to the case. I don't think they will make a statement clearing him, just like they didn't for Thomas Bruce (whose trial is still going on), Paul Etter, etc etc. JMO.

What's interesting is that he just pled guilty - he didn't "take a plea" in the sense that any of his charges were reduced, apparently.

His attorney had some interesting statements re: the Delphi murders in this article: Change of plea hearing for James Chadwell II in kidnapping case | wthr.com

(Public defender)Hughes had requested the change after some media reports indicated a link between the incident involving the 9-year-old girl and the unsolved murders of two girls in Delphi in 2017. For that reason, Chadwell's attorney had argued his client could not get a fair trial and he wanted a judge to move it.

"Personally, from my opinion, he had nothing to do with that. There's nothing to suggest, that I've seen, that I've been told, that he was part of that. So, I don't believe he had anything to do with the murders of Abigail and Liberty," said Shay Hughes, Chadwell's public defender.

I think he is still a possible candidate for the murders of Abby and Libby but the possibility of a connection has faded quite a bit with the recent developments. The judge in this case also threw cold water on the idea that he would eventually rise to the level of a suspect in the Delphi case. There is nothing really to suggest that LE in the Delphi case are looking any harder at him than they did at any of the people who the media have so far tried to link to the case. I don't think they will make a statement clearing him, just like they didn't for Thomas Bruce (whose trial is still going on), Paul Etter, etc etc. JMO.
Thomas Bruce pled guilty and was sentenced to life today. I posted the article in that thread.

Thomas Bruce pled guilty and was sentenced to life today. I posted the article in that thread.

Similar to Chadwell and the request to change venue, he was in a fight over what evidence would be admissible in his trial. Also like Chadwell, a major ruling went against him within the last couple of days so it's not surprising.

Does he still have one more case (separate, sexual assault against 77 year old) to be adjudicated?

I still think that LE is not going to make a statement on any of these men to say "they are officially off our radar" anytime soon (even if, like TB, they are extremely unlikely). They've said they just aren't going to do that and seem to be sticking to it for the most part.

Similar to Chadwell and the request to change venue, he was in a fight over what evidence would be admissible in his trial. Also like Chadwell, a major ruling went against him within the last couple of days so it's not surprising.

Does he still have one more case (separate, sexual assault against 77 year old) to be adjudicated?

I still think that LE is not going to make a statement on any of these men to say "they are officially off our radar" anytime soon (even if, like TB, they are extremely unlikely). They've said they just aren't going to do that and seem to be sticking to it for the most part.
I haven't seen anything yet about the assault on the elderly lady. I'd bet good money he's assaulted many more females, maybe even killed. Just as I suspect Chadwell has. It is really odd the similarities between these two's cases. No reason now why either one would willingly confess to any other crimes, so we'll probably never know what all they have done. Thankfully they are never getting out.

Man pleads guilty in St. Louis Catholic store killing

This article says as part of the plea deal....for a guilty plea maybe in the supply store attack...the prosecution dropped the charges concerning the 77 year old.

@FrostedGlass - any update on the court site on "what time" the sentencing on 12/16 will be?

TIA!
citrouille21.gif

Interesting. Puzzling. Still disturbing. He seemed to throw in the towel once the judge denied his request for a change in venue. If he was involved in the Delphi murders, he never wanted to be tried for it. It makes me thinks he’s just a “wanna be”. Even though he took all of those cryptic selfies in the woods, near the bridge, the river, the tattoos of the girls’ faces, etc., it seems he was just toying with LE and the public. And once he realized there was a chance he could actually be found guilty of the murders, and get the death penalty, he decides to plead guilty to these charges and and will instead exist with the sick satisfaction that his name will forever be associated with the mystery of the Delphi murders. IMO

Update:

10/25/2021 = Order Granting Motion to Enter Plea without Plea Agreement
Noticed: Harrington, Patrick K
Noticed: Tippecanoe Co Probation
Noticed: Hughes, Shay Justin
Noticed: Corum, Sandra
Order Signed: 10/22/2021

12/16/2021 = Sentencing Hearing
Session: 12/16/2021 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

I wonder why he added the “habitual offender” comment?
That added more time to his sentence.

Habitual offender was part of his charges from the beginning so he was required to agree that he was one if he changed his plea to guilty. It's an enhanced sentence, not an additional crime. In Indiana, whether or not you are charged with a habitual offender status has to do with how many prior felonies you've been convicted of (not ones you are suspected of) and what kind of felonies they were.

he's going away for life now, he doesn't have to do S$@#..doesn't have to admit to anything, nothing he does can change what is written, he can sit around and wait ...would be a shame if he killed himself..

I hope he knows he could get a lot of consideration if he would admit to other crimes ( if there are). He could see what it feels like to be a celebrity serial killer...
isn't that he ultimate he could hope for at this stage?

look I don't know if he's a wanna be, used to be or not to be..but when I see him walking in the courtroom I see BG. mOO

he's going away for life now, he doesn't have to do S$@#..doesn't have to admit to anything, nothing he does can change what is written, he can sit around and wait ...would be a shame if he killed himself..

I hope he knows he could get a lot of consideration if he would admit to other crimes ( if there are). He could see what it feels like to be a celebrity serial killer...
isn't that he ultimate he could hope for at this stage?

look I don't know if he's a wanna be, used to be or not to be..but when I see him walking in the courtroom I see BG. mOO
Not sure I know the perks of being a “celebrity serial killer”. And I highly doubt he’d get any reduction to his sentence if he admitted to any other crimes. IMO
I think he gets more satisfaction from society not knowing if he was BG.

no , but he would get meals, outings, things they offer prisoners, if he would confess he would be up against the death penalty ...but he would get the attention he wants..just as Jodi arias enjoyed her camera appearances and
interviews.

mOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members