Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #78

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at Casey Anthony, she lied about having a job and even walked the authorities inside the building where she used to work. Only then she confessed she wasn't employed.
I can't imagine trying to parent someone who is so adept at lying. I think it's possible Brian completely manipulated his parents and maybe never told them the whole truth at all.
The question is what did BL tell his parents? Obviously, whatever he told them warranted, in their minds, the need to speak to and retain an attorney, even before GP was reported missing and then found.

This information is available on the Fort Desoto Campground website. I looked it up originally because I was theorizing that the Laundries may have not been able to receive the Petito's and Schmidt's phone calls. Then later, we found out that the Laundries were at Fort DeSoto. WIFI is only at the office and Camp Store.
Camping
WIFI and cell service are two different things, though. You have cell service as long as you are in proximity to a cell tower. WIFI at the camp office would have allowed for a connection to the internet itself, but that is different than a cell phone or tower. imo

Only on the internet does anyone anywhere think there's even the tiniest possibility that BL did not kill GP.
Disagree strongly. In the court of law BL is innocent
Now that he is dead.. he is not the killer other than in minds and paper and… internet. In court of law he is still innocent.

Much of the outrage in this case is the fact that he might have had a good chance of beating this rap in a court of law too. Reasonable doubt was a real issue here

Only on the internet does anyone anywhere think there's even the tiniest possibility that BL did not kill GP.
That's an odd statement... where do you think the internet people come from? People in real life have their varying opinions.

I've looked at this picture a lot and agree there appears to be a black rectangular box in there. We know the reporter who witnessed much of this said ChL picked up the bag and a dark object which he placed in the bag. If it is a gun case it would be all the more confounding as to why ChL would pick up a gun case and put it in the dry bag and remove it from its location...
Also, full recovery of the remains and a gun could explain why the park was reopened so soon after the discovery even though FBI said it could take several more days initially. It wouldn't explain why the ME wasn't able to make an initial COD determination though...
The expert with Tricia the other day explained it very well. Unfortunately I can’t remember enough of it to put it into a reasonable understandable sentence. That guy was awesome. He went into lengthy detail. I’ll try. Something like the top of the skull is so very strong, it’s able to withstand great force so…with dental records being used to identify partial remains, it told him the lower jaw or mandible, was prob the partial they found - meaning the top of the skull had to be missing or in pieces only possible via a firearm. Or …an alligator chomped that part of his head off. This was just my take on his explanation as he, a professional, didn’t commit. I believe he thinks a firearm was used and so do I.

In my opinion they knew she was deceased, why have conversations with him prior to LE becoming involved? Per SB’s own words, he had conversations with all 3 from Sept 1st to the 11th prior to formally being retained on the 11th. MOO
Exactly. The Laundries were told something that warranted them speaking to and retaining an attorney even before GP was reported missing and then found. I can’t think of any other reason why they would do so, refuse to cooperate with LE, and refuse to speak to GP’s parents unless they knew something awful took place.
And maybe we’ll never know, but I bet you the FBI does. I’m convinced the Laundries cut some sort of deal with the FBI in exchange for immunity. MOO.

You call out a critical point. If his intention was to "go hiking" and end it all, only having a backpack makes sense; leave his farewell letter then exit. If his intent was to evade and survive, I agree there would be more provisions.

amateur opinion and speculation

Genuine expert, who's used to working that reserve & being in the waters there, said Brian - as an outdoorsy type familiar w the reserve - would have known that camping in it required those 2 items ( because of the well known risks)

For a plea with Brian, I'd think most assuredly. For a plea with the parents, not so sure. If they did go to the family and say we wanna get Brian and after weeks of this we believe our best chance is to deal with his parents perhaps GPs parents agreed - not thinking he wouldn't be found alive once they cooperated. MOO If they did cooperate in exchange for immunity and Brian is deceased, it's such a complete loss. I feel terrible for them. But, then again, we don't know for sure if this happened. The daily mail article may not pan out but I haveta say, this scenario sure does explain a lot of the "What is LE doing here?" questions. MOO

They should and sometimes do work with the victims’ families. But not always. It’s also not often possible to give the families what they want. Some of the most horrendous outraged of Justice have been when for technical reasons an obvious criminal walks. LE has to be extra careful that such a thing doesn’t happen. That probably was in part why they were not so aggressive. They had the added pressure of knowing an attorney was on the case watching every move for legal missteps. One wrong move could have sunk their case

Disagree strongly. In the court of law BL is innocent
Now that he is dead.. he is not the killer other than in minds and paper and… internet. In court of law he is still innocent.

Much of the outrage in this case is the fact that he might have had a good chance of beating this rap in a court of law too. Reasonable doubt was a real issue here

“Much of the outrage” is your perception. My perception is that the vast majority of the public believe that Brian Laundrie strangled Gabby Petito to death, left her to rot and fled home to his momma in her van on her dime. And that is where their outrage comes from. What the “Court” thinks at this point is meaningless to the general public. Brian Laundrie will forever be known as a killer.

Brian committed other crimes. He took the van. He used her card. Those things alone are enough to warrant a lawyer. And who know what he told them? Again - just possibilities.
As people who should have common sense, I’m sure the Laundries had begun to put two and two together. All they should have known at that point, September 1-11, was that BL returned home from his trip without his fiancé in her van and that she was missing.
The fraud indictment came at a later date, so that probably wasn’t of knowledge to the Laundries when they retained their attorney. Unless BL came completely clean to his parents upon his return to Florida…
Which is why it’s highly probable that the Laundries knew their son was guilty of some sort of crime before GP was even reported missing. Why else retain an attorney right off the bat? Why else start speaking to an attorney the day BL returned home without GP?

I don't believe SB was talking about people on this thread. And I don't believe he was blaming Gabby in any way. I don't want to take this any farther because I don't want to be accused of victim blaming myself. So I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that.
It can be difficult to recognize victim-blaming. After all, SB is using the same language we all do, but let us focus on the meaning of his words.
Why do you think a lawyer would insert "Gabby was no angel"? What is the purpose of that, other to insinuate Gabby provoced Brian and FORCED him to behave badly?
I'll drop this issue now. Even if SB made a flippant remark that may not be true, it clearly displays his feelings that victims should share the blame for their own demise. It also taints the jury pool via the press.
Either way, Gabby is a real angel now...

WiFi is entirely different than cell coverage. Most cell carriers have coverage in pretty remote places. Unless they had turned their phones to WiFi only. Or had turned them off. Our family has actually turned our phones off when camping before to "unplug" completely.

think this one might need to be bookmarked so it can be bumped again in the future.

I understand why the family isn't having a traditional funeral. The fear of it turning into a sideshow if the protestors showed up would scare any family away.

But it's too bad the protestors have been allowed to continue their harassment even after it was discovered that their son had passed. I doubt they can handle much more. They're obviously deeply grieving and they really might like to have a memorial service for Brian, but they strongly suspect the protestors would be there.

I can't say if they would or not--but I get that they can't take that chance. That would put the protestors firmly in the same category as the Westboro protestors who used to show up to protest at soldier's funerals.

Funerals, and the homes of the newly deceased (and their families) should be strictly off-limits.
Oh. Trigger trigger trigger. Westboro came to my street to protest after the tornado hit my home, holding up signs “God hates Moore” all over my poor little town still in pieces.

WiFi is entirely different than cell coverage. Most cell carriers have coverage in pretty remote places. Unless they had turned their phones to WiFi only. Or had turned them off. Our family has actually turned our phones off when camping before to "unplug" completely.

If you look here people writing reviews say cellphone coverage is almost non-existent: Fort De Soto Park Campground Reviews updated 2021

But, they checked out of this campground on the 8th. What we don't know is where the Laundries were after that until they called their attorney at 11:30pm on September 11. Maybe they were home, maybe they had gone somewhere else. We have no information about this timeframe at all, so we just don't know if they were somewhere that had cell service or not.

Exactly. The Laundries were told something that warranted them speaking to and retaining an attorney even before GP was reported missing and then found. I can’t think of any other reason why they would do so, refuse to cooperate with LE, and refuse to speak to GP’s parents unless they knew something awful took place.
And maybe we’ll never know, but I bet you the FBI does. I’m convinced the Laundries cut some sort of deal with the FBI in exchange for immunity. MOO.

We know what the Ls were told. Gabby was missing. The Ps hadn’t heard from her in nearly 2 weeks. Nor from BL. Did the Ls know anything?

And ,MOO, they did. BL was right there. He had returned home with van without Gabby snd the L family let him just “not talk about it”, thinking it was a bad break up and Gabby home with her parents.

IIRC, he did not meet them in Orlando per his own admission. It was speculative that they were meeting him. I wish I could find the data. MOO
Oh that’s interesting! I had thought that was confirmed. I wonder what they were doing then, other than going to that library & looking at no books (per media). Jmo

If you look here people writing reviews say cellphone coverage is almost non-existent: Fort De Soto Park Campground Reviews updated 2021

But, they checked out of this campground on the 8th. What we don't know is where the Laundries were after that until they called their attorney at 11:30pm on September 11. Maybe they were home, maybe they had gone somewhere else. We have no information about this timeframe at all, so we just don't know if they were somewhere that had cell service or not.
The Ps did not call until the 10th.

Well, if he were still alive & I was a juror in his trial I wouldn't go into the trial with those thoughts, but yes I appreciate your point.

Hmmm. Here’s the SB quote again:

“You couldn’t write this Greek tragedy,” Steven Bertolino told The Post Friday. “Brian is not a Ted Bundy. He’s not a demon. Not a serial killer. I’m not sure that the narrative that’s been pushed — that Brian was a mean killer and Gabby was an angel — is entirely true.”

Inside Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito's life with his parents

Hard to justify “mean killer”. Was he a “nice killer”?
Nice lil one time killer, that’s all. And he killed a non “angel” anyway. Nothing to see here folks!

(Edit to add this is sarcasm & I am mega disgusted w SB’s comment.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member