Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #79

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is sad, and perhaps insensitive, that NPPD did not find or show interest in the water bottle. But of what value to their investigation do people think it has? I think it’s a little insensitive to leave things out in the open that may be later identified as belongings of either Gabby or BL, but a water bottle, bits of clothing and other detritus really don’t have any value. Other than if a cause of death can be determined, I do not believe there is going to be any other finding associated with this site. The case against BL is not here, this is just the site he chose to suicide. I think all the evidence they are going to collect in GP’s murder has been collected, and I really do not see them launching a full scale investigation into BL’s death other than an autopsy.

ETA the bones shown in pictures on Twitter are clearly not human, ask any deer hunter

according to the post/link from @Cindizzi on this page, LE didn't even take the water bottle...
Either they suspected that it was recently planted, or they , didn't want to expose shoddy search. Either way, they should have taken it to investigate. If it's a hoax, they need to know who was the perpetrator of the hoax. Was it Local LE with Laundries or was it FBI? (when first items were found). This looks like a battle between FBI and NPPD. I hope not. jmo

If I was a resident of North Port I would be very concerned about the competency of my local police dept.
jmho
ETA: I am not bashing LE.
I support the police!
But there are isolated cases that cry out for review by an agency with no ties to this specific PD.

I have a stupid question, but I honestly don't know the answer.

If somebody kills somebody close to them, would they in turn be more apt to commit suicide in a similar fashion? As in, strangulation/hanging.

This would certainly make a gruesome topic of study. I don’t know. I do think that the majority of murder suicides do share the same cause of death, but it is by gunshot. As far as other methods like strangulation, I haven’t a clue.

I have a stupid question, but I honestly don't know the answer.

If somebody kills somebody close to them, would they in turn be more apt to commit suicide in a similar fashion? As in, strangulation/hanging.
I think that’s a great question. We see that a lot when someone shoots a person to death, then turns the gun on himself. I suppose it would depend on the method of killing…you don’t usually hear of someone stabbing a person to death, then stabbing themselves.

It is sad, and perhaps insensitive, that NPPD did not find or show interest in the water bottle. But of what value to their investigation do people think it has? I think it’s a little insensitive to leave things out in the open that may be later identified as belongings of either Gabby or BL, but a water bottle, bits of clothing and other detritus really don’t have any value. Other than if a cause of death can be determined, I do not believe there is going to be any other finding associated with this site. The case against BL is not here, this is just the site he chose to suicide. I think all the evidence they are going to collect in GP’s murder has been collected, and I really do not see them launching a full scale investigation into BL’s death other than an autopsy.

ETA the bones shown in pictures on Twitter are clearly not human, ask any deer hunter

quickest comment ( to avoid a long post)

'I say that items which nobody knows exist, cannot matter '
Discuss

Either they suspected that it was recently planted, or they , didn't want to expose shoddy search. Either way, they should have taken it to investigate. If it's a hoax, they need to know who was the perpetrator of the hoax. Was it Local LE with Laundries or was it FBI? (when first items were found). This looks like a battle between FBI and NPPD. I hope not. jmo
That last line!!!!
After all that has come out this week, I firmly feel that the "ranking" of the people "in charge" failed Gabby justice by Not having charged Brian knowing IMO he strangled her.
They knew it all along, IMO they knew he left that house and by not acting, Brian was allowed to off himself leaving yet more parents to suffer.
The FBI all along was calling the shots, probably p**sed off plenty of NPPD officers who could have and would have been able to prevent this ending all while saving the state 1.5 million.
Rank...

ETA:
I am a HUGE supporter of LE! In no way am I blaming them, I hold Brian responsible. I personally just feel that the breakdown of the agencies could have changed the outcome.

Last edited:
That last line!!!!
After all that has come out this week, I firmly feel that the "ranking" of the people "in charge" failed Gabby justice by Not having charged Brian knowing IMO he strangled her.
They knew it all along, IMO they knew he left that house and by not acting, Brian was allowed to off himself leaving yet more parents to suffer.
The FBI all along was calling the shots, probably p**sed off plenty of NPPD officers who could have and would have been able to prevent this ending all while saving the state 1.5 million.
Rank...
Is this some kind of revenge on NPPD's part? That is so unprofessional, if that is the case. jmo

I think that’s a great question. We see that a lot when someone shoots a person to death, then turns the gun on himself. I suppose it would depend on the method of killing…you don’t usually hear of someone stabbing a person to death, then stabbing themselves.

I think it's a good question, but as far as the gun scenario I don't think we can compare to Gabby and Brian. Someone who shoots a person to death, maybe especially a loved one, already has the gun in hand and is still in the maniacal state of mind.

Here we have Gabby dead in Wyoming and Brian dead in Florida, with at least several weeks in between. So anything could be the case with Brian’s death, we don’t know, but IMO not the same as immediately shooting someone and then shooting oneself.

ETA: regarding whether the water bottle is Gabby’s or not, there are ghouls out there who would claim it to be so and sell it on EBay or something. IMO.

I have ginormous doubt about this, but I can’t say much more than that within the scope of allowable sources. I can’t even say time will tell because, if it’s evidence, it’s compromised & now in a private person’s possession. Jmo

I have ginormous doubt about this, but I can’t say much more than that within the scope of allowable sources. I can’t even say time will tell because, if it’s evidence, it’s compromised & now in a private person’s possession. Jmo

If the water bottle has been faked, this particular chapter of the story is over

It's extremely disappointing to post this. But, if it is accurate as alluded to in both the DM article and the SB interview with Fox Digital last thread, there will be no legal action in the case. What I would expect though is that GP's family would get as complete an accounting of events as is known. The following is all JMO.

Portions of this timeline were taken from this article: Brian Laundrie's parents 'may have already spilled the secrets of Gabby Petito's murder to the FBI' | Daily Mail Online

Other parts of the timeline not relevant to the post were omitted. [Bracketed text are posts by me based on my thoughts and speculation only. MOO] [Bolded text for emphasis was done by me (except for the dates).]

Sept. 13: Laundrie's lawyer says on October 5 that his parents now 'believe' this was the day they last saw him heading for a hike

Sept. 14: Laundrie issues a statement about Petito's disappearance through his lawyer; Laundrie's parents claim on September 17 that Laundrie left his parents' home for a hike this day and they hadn't seen from him since

Sept. 17: Laundrie family attorney confirms his whereabouts are unknown

Sept. 18: North Port police and the FBI start searching the Carlton Reserve in Sarasota County for missing Brian Laundrie

Sept. 19: Bethune realizes she has video of Petito's van around 12am and submits the FBI with the footage 10 minutes later; Officials announce a body was found near Grand Teton National Park that matched Petito’s description in the afternoon

Sept. 20 - 22: FBI and North Port police continue search for Laundrie in Carton Reserve

Sept. 22: Neighbors say they saw the Laudrie family pack up their detached camper on the day Gabby was reported missing. DailyMail.com photos show the camper was back in the driveway two days later, on September 13

[Indictment filed and warrant issued this date. IMO, Daily Mail wrong here. Indictment – #1 in United States v. Laundrie (D. Wyo., 0:21-cr-00113) – CourtListener.com Laundrie attorney most likely given a head’s up that this indictment was filed, especially if a proffer session was being considered by the government or floated by Bertolino. And, if it were, the AUSA (or FBI) may have even told the atty that an indictment was also already handed down or would be forthcoming against the parents. MOO]

Sept. 23: FBI issues an arrest warrant for Laundrie for 'use of unauthorized access device' for fraudulently using a Capitol One Bank debit card that was not his between August 30 and September 1 to spend $1,000; A probe is launched into the police handling of the Utah police incident on Aug. 12; Laundrie’s parents visit their attorney in Orlando

[IMO, Daily Mail wrong here. Indictment and warrant actually issued the day before, which fits perfectly with any “purported” or proposed proffer session of the Laundrie parents in Orlando. So, was this the reason why this visit was the one and only time Steven Bertolino came to Florida? To get an immunity agreement finalized (or started) and signed?]

Sept. 27: Manhunt for Laundrie in the Carlton Reserve is scaled back after 10-day search doesn't find him. Dog the Bounty Hunter says Laundrie and his parents stayed at Fort De Soto Park from September 1-3 and September 6-8 - and that on the latter visit only the parents left

[LE NEVER goes to Fort DeSoto for a search. Do you recall how odd we all thought that was? Well, note that this is post-Orlando in this timeline. They could have already disclosed everything about Fort DeSoto on 9/23. MOO]

Sept. 28: Laundrie's mom is accused of using a burner phone to contact her son Sept. 29: Documents reveal Laundrie's mom canceled a reservation for the Fort De Soto Park campsite for two from September 1 to 3 and booked for three from September 6 to 8; FBI seizes surveillance footage from site; FBI investigates lead Laundrie bought a burner phone on September 14;

[On this day LE does gather some evidence and looks into the phone issue. Was this part of verifying the Laundries’ veracity in connection with them considering their proffer for immunity? Quite possible IMO. MOO]

Oct. 7: Laundrie's father Christopher joins FBI agents on the search for his son at the Carlton Reserve but the search brings up no clues

[Also Post-Orlando. LE and CL appeared almost friendly. SB made public comments some time prior to this that the FBI requested Chris Laundrie at the crime scene. I thought he was nuts if he thought anyone was going to buy that, truth be told. If this meeting and immunity agreement ever came to fruition however, it doesn't sound so nuts anymore. MOO]

October 20: Human remains found in Carlton Reserve

[Laundries go back out after water recedes. Was the Reserve re-opened to the public to “shield” their immunity agreement *if* one even exists? Did North Port police NOT know there was an immunity agreement (if there was one)?

LE did NOT follow them around in the Reserve. LE had no issue whatsoever that Chris Laundrie handled evidence, and then passed it off to Roberta Laundrie who then also handled it (at least this is what it looks like to me in Mike Ruiz' video with Chris first and then Roberta holding the dry bag), who then handed it off to LE. ]

In MOO/IMO/JMO, and not fact, a proffer occurs only when the person is under investigation or has already been charged with a crime. And, in the fox video SB does, in fact, acknowledge that criminal charges against the parent were discussed, though he vehemently denies any immunity agreement has been reached.

A "Proffer": LE may want (or need) certain information to aid in its investigation. And before committing to a cooperation agreement will have a proffer session (tell us what you know, if it’s worthy or checks out, maybe we will give you immunity for more aka "Queen for a Day"). We don't know if the Petito and Schmidt families were aware of this, but I would say yes based on the Fox Digital piece and on the basis that even maybe they wanted it done in exchange for BL's location - with no one knowing at that early date that he was deceased, if he was. We don't know. MOO

Defense attorneys can also float proffers to the government if they think the government has a weak case or even if the case is strong to try to get reduced charges. Here's a generic definition: Definition of PROFFER SESSION There are many other references on this but most are attached to actual firms seeking business so I will not link those. Anyone looking for more information can check them out online.]

Fox Video (Compliments of @Figuring) with breakdown and timestamps here: Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #78

If there was evidence against the parents sufficient to sustain an indictment and move forward to trial and they gave them immunity in exchange for Brian's location - with Brian ending up being deceased by the time he was found, I find this heartbreaking for GP's family. Simply heartbreaking. No one will be called to account for this now. IMO JMO Speculation.

Last edited:
quickest comment ( to avoid a long post)

'I say that items which nobody knows exist, cannot matter '
Discuss

Ok I will bite. Does it really matter how he died? It could have been a suicide, a hanging maybe, but not enough of the body remains so it couldn’t be concluded. It could have been a poisoning, if there is residue in the water bottle, but there isn’t enough of the body remains to verify. He could have been killed accidentally. or, even more out there, maybe he was murdered. They will never know. And do you know what? I don’t care… so, no, they won’t know anything more than what they look for, and if they stop looking they may never know the truth. But if they do look more, chances are pretty high they will never be able to know the truth anyhow, and the truth of how he died is just not really important.

If the water bottle has been faked, this particular chapter of the story is over
I guess...since the park was open to the public, even if it is a fakeout bottle, any prankster would just get away with it. The area wasn't off limits. Search ended. Who knows how long the bottle was there? jmo

I want to have enough confidence in any forensic investigation and recovery team to believe they could tell from pictures that it was a fake. It's not the first rodeo for these teams, and they probably took one look at the bottle and saw the condition and the way it's sitting perfectly on top of the ground with no mud, etc., and ruled it out. MOO

Is this some kind of revenge on NPPD's part? That is so unprofessional, if that it the case. jmo
I don't think it has anything to do with revenge myself, I think it is just a jurisdictional issue, happens everywhere. I would not think any properly trained investigator or officer likes it when the FBI steps in and takes control. My thing is, being so tight lipped in this case helped Brian to escape to his demise vs being held accountable.
If in fact it is true that the FBI was told on Monday or Tuesday that Brian didn't come home, they should have relayed that since they were in charge. Perhaps he lasted a few days and NPPD could have found him early on before the flooding.
Ultimately, Brian did this all, and yes, he could have immediately went in and killed himself, but if he didn't, Its MHO a simple phone call may have changed the outcome.
I'm not to fond of the Laundrie's Attorney, but if he did report this and they sat on it until Friday..If he got the same "call the FBI who is lead, why call NPPD when obviously their hands are tied?

Everything about this water bottle story is very sketchy, imo.
I suppose the bottle isn't of value to the investigation even if it was Gabby's.
Gabby's family may want anything of hers they can get.
If it is in fact Gabby's.

I can see how a small PD in SW FL would not want the FBI telling them what to do.
It's political.
Nuff said.

jmho

@mikerreports

Update from Taylor: “Earlier today I was told there were some reports that turned out to be nothing. If something was found after that, I don't know. Again, the question about possible materials found should be directed to the fbi as it is their case.”

FBI has not yet responded to my inquiries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member