Found Deceased NC - Laporscha Baldwin, 30, car found on I-85, Gastonia, 10 Oct 2021 *ex-bf arrested*

Exactly -- trying to understand....

I guess in an attempt to be fair, if CC doesn't have involvement, I can understand why he is avoiding LE and hesitant to talk with them. It looks horrible for him-- a convict for murdering another girlfriend, the recent breakup, last known (phone?) contact with her. He spent over a decade in prison - he probably doesn't trust LE, and thinks they will hold him on anything they can (even if he has no involvement).

If he didn't do anything, he should get a lawyer and go speak to police. Be protected, but give them the truth so they can refocus their search for her.

Missing Gastonia woman's phone pinged in SC upstate, police say

when Baldwin's car was found, the tires were slashed, and possible blood was found on the steering wheel, dashboard, and cup holder. Investigators found women's clothing and duct tape inside as well.

More information about Combs has also come to light; in 2004, he was convicted of the second-degree murder of a previous girlfriend. A search warrant executed at his home by police on Friday again did not see him turn up.

The search warrant obtained by WCNC Charlotte also provides a more clear timeline of events: according to her mother, Baldwin reportedly left for work at Amazon on Oct. 10 and planned to meet up with Combs to get a few of her belongings from him. However, Amazon told her mother Baldwin didn't show up for work. Baldwin's car was found on Monday, Oct. 11.

The same day Baldwin was supposed to go to work, her cell phone pinged at a tower near Combs' apartment around the same time she last spoke with her family. Through Sunday evening, her cell phone pinged in the upstate of South Carolina, hitting towers in Greenville, Boiling Springs, and Taylors. Additionally, Combs' cell phone pinged during the same time frame along I-85 in Cherokee County, South Carolina.

Missing Gastonia woman's phone pinged in SC upstate, police say

when Baldwin's car was found, the tires were slashed, and possible blood was found on the steering wheel, dashboard, and cup holder. Investigators found women's clothing and duct tape inside as well.

More information about Combs has also come to light; in 2004, he was convicted of the second-degree murder of a previous girlfriend. A search warrant executed at his home by police on Friday again did not see him turn up.

The search warrant obtained by WCNC Charlotte also provides a more clear timeline of events: according to her mother, Baldwin reportedly left for work at Amazon on Oct. 10 and planned to meet up with Combs to get a few of her belongings from him. However, Amazon told her mother Baldwin didn't show up for work. Baldwin's car was found on Monday, Oct. 11.

The same day Baldwin was supposed to go to work, her cell phone pinged at a tower near Combs' apartment around the same time she last spoke with her family. Through Sunday evening, her cell phone pinged in the upstate of South Carolina, hitting towers in Greenville, Boiling Springs, and Taylors. Additionally, Combs' cell phone pinged during the same time frame along I-85 in Cherokee County, South Carolina.

Just one damning and discouraging revelation after another here. The condition of the vehicle, that they were planning to meet up (not just 'in contact' as previously mentioned), and all of the cell phone pings.

The only helpful thing is it seems like they have a decent amount of evidence. Unfortunately none of it sounds like it is leading to a positive outcome.

I said it before, but the timeline was already so tight (between when she last spoke with her mom and when she had to be at work) and now learning that she had plans to meet up with him kind of clears up the timeline and imo really reduces the likelihood that something happened randomly.

Really trying to bite my tongue on this "not yet named a suspect".

This might not be entirely relevant in this case but I'll say it anyway--
Some of the most important advice that can never be emphasized enough is --anyone who is leaving/has left an abusive or controlling relationship, please NEVER meet up with the ex alone.. No matter what they say,.what the reason for meeting up.. Please always take someone with you!!! Do not feel alone and do not go it alone!

Body of missing Gastonia woman found in SC; ex-boyfriend arrested | wcnc.com

Police have arrested the ex-boyfriend of a Gastonia woman whose body was found Thursday in Fairfield County, South Carolina, which is just north of Columbia.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said LaPorscha Baldwin was last seen one week ago. Her ex-boyfriend, Charles William Combs, was reportedly the person she was headed to see when she disappeared.

As expected and predictable as this was, it is still just as upsetting.. And the anger at everything that contributed to him being out of prison and able to do this again.

Ultimately it is on him. Despite another chance at freedom and a chance to be in and then leave a relationship in a healthy manner, he repeated himself. Obviously he wasn't rehabilitated --either wasn't capable or just chose not to.

I want to see information on his original sentence, was there a plea deal, was he paroled early, did he participate (willingly or mandated) in domestic violence and mental health programs in and after prison.

Just really sad that another family suffers for life because of him.. and a little girl will never have her mother.

Ex-boyfriend extradited, charged with murder of missing Gastonia woman found in S.C.

Updated

The man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend, a woman who had been reported missing from Gastonia, was extradited back to Mecklenburg County where he was charged with first-degree murder on Tuesday.

Charles Combs, 35, was arrested in Myrtle Beach, S.C. over the weekend, and was then processed into the Mecklenburg County Jail with no bond.

Combs has been charged with the death of LaPorscha Baldwin.

He will make his first court appearance in Mecklenburg County on Wednesday.

Marsheida was the girlfriend who was murdered in 2004 and her parents have two of their own organizations helping domestic violence victims in Texas. Can't imagine all they have been through - picking up the pieces after her murder, devoting so much of themselves to this cause, then seeing their child's killer released after only 12 years and the goes on to murder another intimate partner.

People like her parents and so many others fight so hard for both surviving victims and those who have been killed, meanwhile some prosecutors /judges/ parole boards just undo that.

From the article,

“The way I feel, he should be given the death penalty. He is a menace to society,” M's father said.

MC also tells WBTV he is willing to stand by the Baldwin family to make sure Combs does not get out again.

“My message would be to them...hold their daughter’s life in their hands. Not allow anyone to take their precious memories away,” he added.

Family of woman murdered in 2004 by same man charged in Gastonia murder, helping domestic violence victims

This story gets more and more upsetting (if that's even possible). He should have been sentenced to life after he killed the first time. I don't believe for a second that she was the first woman he abused either.

Note the last line I included below, "records show he threatened detention staff at least a dozen times, damaged property, and possessed weapons."
So he was not even a model prisoner while locked up -- he was violent in a controlled environment, and basically showed everyone THIS IS WHO I AM.. This should outrage everyone, that he was sprung back into society and onto women who would be victims of his no matter what they did. Why wasn't the first time enough for the courts??

"[B.J] said she was in a relationship with Charles Combs for six months in 2018, but he held her captive for three of those months after she said she wanted to end their relationship.

J said Combs held her hostage at his home for three months, keeping her away from family and friends. She describes being both physically and mentally abused.

“Strangulation started, and him putting guns out on me," J said. "He said 'the only way out of this is death – you’re not getting out of this relationship.”

J said she lived in fear for those three months, thinking she would die. She was able to get out after she used coded text messages to ask a friend to call the police. But even after she reported the abuse, she felt helpless.

“People were scared to testify on my behalf because they were scared of him," J said. "Sometimes it seemed like I was just alone in this, and I was saying God, he’s gonna hurt somebody else.”

[...]

While Combs was in prison for that crime, records show he threatened detention staff at least a dozen times, damaged property, and possessed weapons."

Murder suspect's ex-girlfriend recounts domestic abuse | wcnc.com

This is a failure of the criminal justice system and the idiots who granted this psycho parole should be held accountable.

Yes, there's plenty to of blame to go all the way around.

Initially he got a plea deal. I don't know what the original sentence was, but the courts did a terrible job when they gave him whatever it was (not life).
"Marsheida reportedly told family she was leaving Combs after opening up about his physical abuse, including a time he sent her to the hospital after fracturing her spine.
He FRACTURED HER SPINE, told her the only way out was death, shot her five times, and they thought, 'Yep, here's a good plea deal candidate'.

Then he's violent in prison during his Prison LITE sentence.
""I was writing. I was trying to contact the DA. I tried to contact a lot of different agencies," says Carn of his efforts to prevent Combs’s release.

Sometimes rehabilitation is possible but sometimes the criminal gives you a sign. Sometimes they give ALL the signs. The courts and parole missed, or chose to ignore, all the signs here.

Family member, domestic violence advocate pay respects to slain mother

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back