Identified! OR - Coquille, Snedden Creek, WhtMale 14-18, UP65766, Jul'71 - Winston Arthur Maxey III

Winston-Arthur-Maxey-III-cold-case-.jpeg

rest in peace, Winston.

There is more information on the daughters search page. He was dating a girl his age, both from struggling homes. She got pregnant and was sent to a home for unwed mothers in the city while he left hitchhiking in search of better opportunities.
Their daughter was adopted out and found her birth mom in 1988 who told her her fathers name and that he had red hair. The daughter was unable to find him. She is thrilled to finally have closure.

lengthy article
July 23, 2023
By Sarah Portney and Veronica Fulton
1690140065937.png
''Lori said with that information her family was able to determine that her biological parents were likely from a rural area. “We had some ideas,” Lori said, of trying to track down her biological mother. “I was close to where she could have been, but we didn’t know.”

In 1987 -- a couple years after she started her search -- tragedy struck. Lori’s adoptive father died in a plane crash. That loss spurred her even further to look for her biological father.''

For now, Lori is holding on to the hope that she will one day find the one answer she is still looking for: What happened to Winston “Wint” Arthur Maxey? And if it is determined he was murdered, she wants justice.
Captain Patterson confirmed to Dateline that the investigation into Wint’s death is still open and active. He noted that authorities do have other important information regarding the case. “But those are things that I have to hold back for investigative reasons,” he said.
He hopes that anyone who was in the Coos County, Oregon area in June or July of 1971 who may have seen a teenager who looked like Winston walking or getting into a vehicle comes forward. Lori Merriam noted that her father may have dyed his red hair to be a darker brown before he died.
If you have information, please contact Captain Patterson at (541)-396-7820 or call the Coos County Sheriff’s Office at (541) 396-7800.''

I’m a Coos Bay-North Bend native who was living there in 1971. There’s no doubt in my mind he met with foul play, but it’s curious to me that his body was found in Snedden Creek near rural Englewood community. You leave Hwy 101 & make your way there which seems unlikely unless familiar with the area. There's really no chance he fell in.

Someone asked what job opportunities were available. The timber industry & commercial fishing drove the local economy at the time, but his youth would have stood in the way of landing work in either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back