Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many vanlifers change their place of residence for tax, insurance, etc purposes. I just recently watched one where their whole episode was documenting how to do it as they did it. I think they chose South Dakota. If GP was thinking about extending into long-term vanlife it could be something she can as researching.

Or maybe since she moves a lot (NY, NC, Fla, anywhere else?) She just sees her state of residence as fluid and was just informing LE of that

yes that was my interpretation & that's why it interested me
that she didn't did view Florida as her forever home .

( despite all we've heard about the move to Fl, the engagement, marriage plans, the baby stuff on pinterst, the ' one of the family etc)

interesting details about the vanlife practicalities though re place of residence

Last edited:
I'm sure this has already been discussed and I missed it, but do we know what either GP's and/or BL's plans were for after they finished the trip?
all that I have heard is a visit at the end of the trip with GP’s - was it godmother, or grandmother’s friend? And BL made some mention of woofing.
jmo

Sorry but this is not a “tragedy for 2 families.” I understand the wording to be true but the intent to equate the family of the victim with the family of the murderer is not okay. I’m sorry for all the parents involved but I really wish SB would stop passively victim blaming and equalizing. And my ultimate wish is that whoever he says this to or texts it to would call him out on it, even if it means it upsets SB… because the language choice is gross. JMO.

And, this is just really my opinion only, but I get the sense from some reporters/media that they're angling for a Laundrie interview at some point so they are willing to position the Laundries and their attorney more sympathetically. And this tends to irritate me so I turn it off and it make some look for someone analyzing things objectively.
IMO, justice is not achievable when a loved one has been murdered.

Likewise with that wretched idea of "closure."

Really agree with that. You WANT justice but nothing will ever actually provide it. Because her death can't be undone. And nothing the justice system could have done to Brian would have served to lessen the impact of that permanent injury.

But I also truly believe that ultimately this is the best outcome for Gabby's family. I often think about, not just her 4 parents, but her siblings. This must be simply awful for them. Her family are close & strong & committed. I know they would have been committed to working through the justice system but I think it's "better" that they will now be able to spend that energy on making the world a better place through Gabby's foundation.

I've simply watched too many trials to entertain positives notions about how well it served victims. Because it doesn't serve them at all. It's not designed to. It's all about the state and the defendant. The state has to prove the case and the judicial system is there to ensure it does so properly. The trial is all about the rights of the defendant in regard to the actions of the state and their attempt to deprive the defendant of liberty. The victim is almost always irrelevant in most regards. I think when victims and families encounter that, it is shocking and difficult. The leeway given defendants can put the victim on trial or feel like it. I hope the FBI makes findings known and that Gabby's Foundation and family flourishes.

all that I have heard is a visit at the end of the trip with GP’s - was it godmother, or grandmother’s friend? And BL made some mention of woofing.
jmo

Yes, according to the bodycam he says they were planning to go see her gma's friend, 3 weeks on farm in washington & poss oregon, then head to California

I'm not sure what the plan was for winter 2021-22. Work in California?
Did they have enough cash otherwise? (to keep vanning through the winter?)

I'm sure this has already been discussed and I missed it, but do we know what either GP's and/or BL's plans were for after they finished the trip?

They had planned to end their trip on Halloween - I believe they were supposed to end up at her mother's house. Supposedly, they were thinking of extending their trip which is why BL put the stuff in storage into his dad's garage. But I keep thinking of the last photo Gabby posted on her Instagram on Aug. 25. Do you remember? She is holding a small pumpkin and the caption reads "Happy Halloween." Very troubling.

I've been thinking if Gabby and Brian's tent with supplies got stolen after the Moab accident. They were at the coffee shop for wifi and then had to fill up on water. Normal people would assume that every time they go into town for supplies they wont pack up their tent and leave it at the campsite. Since they got pulled over and he had to stay in the motel, we don't know where Gabby stayed. Let's assume she stayed inside the van in the motel parking lot. That means the tent was unattended. Do you think part of the reason why Brian had to go home was get another tent (instead of buying a new one) or any other more costly camping supplies that may have been stolen the night of the 12th?
BTW I re-watched the mom's first video pleading for Gabby to come home. She said they "gave her and Brian money for traveling since they're kids. "
This is inconsistent with what he dad told Dr. Phil. He said she had lots of money saved up and money was no issue.

Welp, in my life, one or the other of those incidents (Moab/Jackson) would have been absolutely shocking and unprecedented, and to have two such incidents in a two week period (when one of the weeks involved the two being geographically separated) suggests a fuse that was lit, regardless of whether it was slow or fast, and leaves no doubt in my mind that he did it.
Oh there is enough doubt to drive a truck through. I don't know what the police know.

What would stop brian from leaving gabby on the 28th and gabby was murdered while he was gone?

I've been thinking if Gabby and Brian's tent with supplies got stolen after the Moab accident. They were at the coffee shop for wifi and then had to fill up on water. Normal people would assume that every time they go into town for supplies they wont pack up their tent and leave it at the campsite. Since they got pulled over and he had to stay in the motel, we don't know where Gabby stayed. Let's assume she stayed inside the van in the motel parking lot. That means the tent was unattended. Do you think part of the reason why Brian had to go home was get another tent (instead of buying a new one) or any other more costly camping supplies that may have been stolen the night of the 12th?
BTW I re-watched the mom's first video pleading for Gabby to come home. She said they "gave her and Brian money for traveling since they're kids. "
This is inconsistent with what he dad told Dr. Phil. He said she had lots of money saved up and money was no issue.
Why would she not have just stayed in the motel and enjoyed the hot shower, air conditioning and free wifi as well as a big comfy bed?

ADMIN NOTE:

Some posts have been removed. While speculation on facts as we know them via MSM or LE is generally allowed, speculative theories that serve strictly to cast the victim in a negative light are not victim friendly and are not allowed.

Oh there is enough doubt to drive a truck through. I don't know what the police know.

What would stop brian from leaving gabby on the 28th and gabby was murdered while he was gone?
Because no one saw or heard from Gabby after 8/27, for one. Never mind the fact that instead of calling the police he took all her stuff and left. And stole money from her too.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, there is also the possibility that Brian was upset when he left because maybe he actually wanted to talk with LE, but SB said don't do it. It just sounds like Brian may have had something (more than the obvious) upsetting him when he left that day.
It seems to me that killing his fiancée would be enough to upset him. And now people were looking for her and the walls were closing in on him. BL is a coward and a bully. He did NOT want to talk to LE. Moo, IMO

And, this is just really my opinion only, but I get the sense from some reporters/media that they're angling for a Laundrie interview at some point so they are willing to position the Laundries and their attorney more sympathetically. And this tends to irritate me so I turn it off and it make some look for someone analyzing things objectively.

Really agree with that. You WANT justice but nothing will ever actually provide it. Because her death can't be undone. And nothing the justice system could have done to Brian would have served to lessen the impact of that permanent injury.

But I also truly believe that ultimately this is the best outcome for Gabby's family. I often think about, not just her 4 parents, but her siblings. This must be simply awful for them. Her family are close & strong & committed. I know they would have been committed to working through the justice system but I think it's "better" that they will now be able to spend that energy on making the world a better place through Gabby's foundation.

I've simply watched too many trials to entertain positives notions about how well it served victims. Because it doesn't serve them at all. It's not designed to. It's all about the state and the defendant. The state has to prove the case and the judicial system is there to ensure it does so properly. The trial is all about the rights of the defendant in regard to the actions of the state and their attempt to deprive the defendant of liberty. The victim is almost always irrelevant in most regards. I think when victims and families encounter that, it is shocking and difficult. The leeway given defendants can put the victim on trial or feel like it. I hope the FBI makes findings known and that Gabby's Foundation and family flourishes.
It always makes me sick when I see the victim's family cheering and smiling at the verdict of GUILTY in a courtroom. ( It's like the crowds at a soccer stadium cheering the beheading of (usually) a woman in some countries.) Of course it's a relief for families of victims, but it should be a somber occasion, not a festival. JMO I'm glad that I'll never have to possibly see that, in this case.

I had been told before that it isn't privileged until they are retained and paid the retainer fee.

In general, as long as the prospective client is seeking legal advice or representation and believes the communication will be confidential, the consultation is privileged. This is even if the would-be client never pays or hires the attorney.
MO

It always makes me sick when I see the victim's family cheering and smiling at the verdict of GUILTY in a courtroom. ( It's like the crowds at a soccer stadium cheering the beheading of (usually) a woman in some countries.) Of course it's a relief for families of victims, but it should be a somber occasion, not a festival. JMO I'm glad that I'll never have to possibly see that, in this case.

I think it is the result of the all that anticipation. There may be families which find it as "joyous" occasion, I won't know. But I think the smiles and cheering would be the momentary release of all that stress. 'What if this person who killed my loved one is set free? or just serves a very reduced sentence?'. They would have been prepping for trial for days/months/ years and listening to arguments and waiting for the jury to reach a verdict. Everything would be surreal like watching themselves in some movie plot. It's similar to the feeling we get when we watch , say, an Olympic win in a movie. It's not even the real Olympics, and it's a movie, but we still forget everything and cheer on and be relieved like it is real or we are the sportsperson ourselves.

I think concentrating on the trial and case is a method of coping with their tragic situation, a part of them living in denial that the nightmare is really happening. Punishing the person responsible will bring peace to the person who passed and a way for them to cling on to their loved one. But it's probably after the verdict and they go back home and after a few days of victory, will the reality sink in that they still don't have their loved one. "Atleast he is not out there living his life and being a danger to others... " is a sense of sad feeling that sticks.

Last edited:
Families sometimes wait for years for justice for their loved ones. Very stressful years. I can totally understand the emotion pouring out of the family of the victim when they finally hear the word 'guilty' and know that this guilty person will be put away and not hurt anyone else's child. It's a very tense, heart pounding moment when the verdict is read. The family's relief with finally seeing that justice has come for their loved one deserves however brief, a celebration. Now, they can grieve and start to heal.

Do you feel sick when the family of the accused celebrate?

I think quite a bit of it is an involuntary response like screaming when you are startled.

All that tension of the murderer who killed your loved one possibly getting off and then that split second of hearing "guilty" and the gut wrenching release of realizing you actually got justice....I can only imagine the sheer relief after waiting - often years - for that verdict.

sheer

ADJECTIVE

1. unqualified, utter
    being free from an adulterant : pure, unmixed

Last edited:
Families sometimes wait for years for justice for their loved ones. Very stressful years. I can totally understand the emotion pouring out of the family of the victim when they finally hear the word 'guilty' and know that this guilty person will be put away and not hurt anyone else's child. It's a very tense, heart pounding moment when the verdict is read. The family's relief with finally seeing that justice has come for their loved one deserves however brief, a celebration. Now, they can grieve and start to heal.

Do you feel sick when the family of the accused celebrate?
Yes. Either way, it is uncouth, certainly doesn't belong in a courtroom. Go home and party, if they must. jmo

As a mom, I can tell you that even if my kid had way more money than "needed" for an adventure like this, I'd still send her off with some more (and periodically venmo, get them dinner, send stuff ahead for them to pick up at the general post office in some place ahead on their travels, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee