GUILTY CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, found deceased, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

Couldn't find any updates on "what" happened yesterday. Did the State rest? Did Defense call any witnesses?? If anyone knows! Please post! :)
Niner, the only outlet who seems to be covering the trial is The Greeley Tribune. And unfortunately, they are posting their recap articles after my bedtime so I don't see them until the next morning. Wish there was more coverage! MOO

Niner, the only outlet who seems to be covering the trial is The Greeley Tribune. And unfortunately, they are posting their recap articles after my bedtime so I don't see them until the next morning. Wish there was more coverage! MOO

I noticed that too - and I can't access the Greeley Tribune - I have to put the url link into Outline - and sometimes they don't even mention who testified. It's okay - whenever you post it - I'll catch it for the next day.
And a BIG
citrouille8.gif
for posting those articles each morning!

PUBLISHED: October 26, 2021 at 10:33 p.m.
Steve Pankey trial Day 10: Defense calls first witness; inaccurate reports of Pankey’s Asperger syndrome addressed – Greeley Tribune
[...]

Prosecutors rested their case Tuesday morning before defense attorney Anthony Viorst called his first witness, clinical psychologist Dr. Carey Chamberlin, who diagnosed Pankey with Asperger’s syndrome and obsessive compulsive disorder.

[...]

Chamberlin initially explained he spent 15 hours with Pankey and met with him on April 4, April 8 and April 15 of this year. Chamberlin later testified during cross-examination he actually spent 11 ½ hours with Pankey to determine his diagnosis and the 15 hours was a “guesstimate.”

[...]

In Chamberlin’s role, he was also required to read through the discovery of Pankey’s case before evaluation began.

After Rourke’s questioning, Chamberlin confessed he never obtained the more than 24,000 pages of the discovery from the Weld County District Attorney’s Office, but he thought he already had it.

[...]

Pankey’s cold case obsession stems from his OCD and Asperger’s syndrome, and began long before the Jonelle Matthews case, according to Chamberlin.

[...]

Rourke read a comment from the psychologist’s report that said the nine exhibits of letters Pankey sent to the DA’s office suggested he participated in Jonelle’s murder. But when considering a Asperger’s diagnosis, the letters indicate nothing except “a fascination with details of cold cases.”

“What other cold cases?” Rouke asked directly after reading the report.

“I don’t know,” Chamberlin responded.

“Did you ask?” Rourke said.

“No,” Chamberlin answered.

[...]

Another common aspect of Asperger’s, in children in particular, is fascination with certain parts of toys, Chamberlin said.

Pankey used to play with toy trucks that clicked when they moved, according to his sister. He took them all apart until he found what made the clicking sound, which was another indication he had the disorder, Chamberlin said during his testimony.

[...]

During cross-examination, Rourke discussed the importance of using multiple sources of information before coming to a diagnostic conclusion as a forensic psychologist, especially to avoid biased collateral sources.

The prosecutor argued that Chamberlin only reviewed a background check, a personality assessment inventory (PAI) data prepared by Dr. Nicole Schneider and nine exhibits introduced at a grand jury proceeding. In addition, he only interviewed two sources: Pankey and his sister.

[...]

Another person’s test results appeared in Pankey’s psych assessment, which appeared to be a templated name. Rourke questioned if the scores could be trusted due to the wrong name appearing over the test results.

[...]

“Those aren’t the defendant’s scores,” Rourke said with a raised voice. “Can we trust the numbers even belong to the defendant?”

[...]

The witness is being paid thousands of dollars for his work by the defense, according to his testimony. In response, Rourke said: “Don’t you think you owe them an accurate report?”

[...]

Upon further questioning, Chamberlin admitted to not interviewing Pankey’s ex-wife, Angela Hicks, and not knowing who she is. Chamberlin’s testimony also revealed he thought Pankey had one son. Pankey had two sons, Rourke said.

[...]

Chamberlin believed Pankey’s answers were designed to fit into a pre-generated area of evaluation, which he described as a function of a “psychopathic tendency,” according to Rourke’s reading of the report.

However, Chamberlin ruled out the diagnosis of a psychotic disorder.

Rourke pointed out Pankey had been searching “Asperger’s syndrome” online as early as 2019, two years before his diagnosis from Chamberlin.

[...]

Detective Mike Prill remained on the stand Tuesday morning before the prosecution rested its case.

Prill discussed more factors that pointed suspicions towards Pankey in the Jonelle case, including sheriffpankey.com, a website created by the suspect when he ran for sheriff in Twin Falls, Idaho.

[...]

The detective also confirmed to Rourke that Pankey had thousands of searches, resulting in at least one every day, about Jonelle’s case starting in 2016.

Viorst continued to make the argument Pankey is a “self-described crime junkie,” with an interest in other young girl kidnappings and murders.

Prill said there were no writings or significant research about any other murder victims in comparison to his search and writings about Jonelle.

[...]

Viorst’s main focus was directing blame on suspect Norris Drake, who was watching the Cosby Show until 9 p.m. at his mother’s house across the street, which would have given him enough time to complete the kidnapping before Jonelle’s father got home at 9:30 p.m.

Prill mentioned a neighbor’s dog was barking at Jonelle’s house around 8:42 p.m. Viorst fired back the neighbor testified he didn’t see anything or anyone in the area.

[...]

The trial for Steve Pankey continues 9 a.m. Wednesday morning with new witnesses from Viorst.
Asperger’s my assburger. I appreciate the reality of the defense’s job but what do the clicking toy trucks have to do with this perv’s murder of a child? Reeeeally streeeetch’n it! Imo

Eyeroll-worthy experts aside, I get a lil’ spring in my step this phase of a cold case trial. Caught a whiff of Lady Justice comin’ down the hall & she has on some sweet perfume.

#JusticeForJonelle
#NoMatterHowLongItTakes

Thanks, @PommyMommy for your updates and dedication. I've overstayed my (free) reading welcome with most Colorado papers and appreciate reading here. :)

Thursday, October 28th:
*Trial continues (Day 13) (@ 8:30am MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 23, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69/now 70) indicted (10/9/20), arrested & charged (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Plead not guilty. $5M cash-only bond.
Trial began on 10/12/21 (thru 11/5/21). Have 12 jurors & 3 alternates. 10/14/21: Judge excuses a juror for inattentive behavior. Now 12 jurors & 2 alternates. Jury selection from 10/7/21 to 10/8/21.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 9/30/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-3) 10/6/21-10/8/21 & Trial (Day 1-10) 10/12/21-10/25/21 reference post #55:
Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

10/26/21 Tuesday, Trial Day 11: State witness: Detective Mike Prill back on stand to finish direct & on cross-exam. Prosecutors rested their case Tuesday morning.
Defense witnesses: Clinical psychologist Dr. Carey Chamberlin, who diagnosed Pankey with Asperger’s syndrome & obsessive compulsive disorder.
for more info see post #60 here:
Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2
Trial continues at 9 a.m. Wednesday, 10/27/21 morning with new witnesses from Viorst.
10/27/21 Wednesday, Trial Day 12: No info yet. Trial continues on
10/28/21.

Friday, October 29th:
*Trial continues (Day 14) (@ 9am MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 23, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69/now 70) indicted (10/9/20), arrested & charged (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Plead not guilty. $5M cash-only bond.
Trial began on 10/12/21 (thru 11/5/21). Have 12 jurors & 3 alternates. 10/14/21: Judge excuses a juror for inattentive behavior. Now 12 jurors & 2 alternates. Jury selection from 10/7/21 to 10/8/21.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 9/30/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-3) 10/6/21-10/8/21 & Trial (Day 1-11) 10/12/21-10/26/21 reference post #66:

10/27/21 Wednesday, Trial Day 12: No other info yet. State rested their case. At the start of the day, defense attorney Anthony Viorst advised the court the main subject matter for the day would be the introduction of evidence that would tie Norris Drake into the narrative of Jonelle’s disappearance. Defense witnesses: Andrea Yost, the ex-wife of Drake’s roommate in 1984 & a woman with whom he developed a romantic relationship. Throughout Yost’s testimony, Deputy District Attorney Lacy Wells made several objections to Viorst’s remarks about Drake’s interest in young girls. Judge Timothy Kerns sustained the objections, denying most of Viorst’s questions. Greeley Police Detective Keith Olson. In 1989, Yost had an interview with Greeley Police Detective Keith Olson in which she made statements that Drake looked at young girls in binoculars. She made a correction to these statements during Wednesday’s trial that he actually watched his adult neighbor, Susan. Olson explain his involvement in the 1989 investigation into Jonelle’s disappearance. A recorded video was conducted during the Nov. 19, 1989 interview of Drake & fragments of the video were played Wednesday morning. Once the interviews with Drake & people he associated with him came to an end, law enforcement executed a search warrant of the Drake residence. Olson said they found “no criminatory evidence.” Connie Daviet, who was staying at her brother’s house the night of Jonelle’s disappearance. That night, Daviet & her brother Dave were home, while Drake borrowed Dave’s truck to go to his mother’s house. Mark Pankey, the first child of Pankey & his ex-wife, Angela Hicks, was called to the stand. (No first name) Barr, Pankey’s sister who is four years younger than the 70-year-old suspect, identified Pankey. Trial continues on 10/28/21.
10/28/21 Thursday, Trial Day 13: Defense witness: Steven Pankey. No other info yet. Trial continues on 10/29/21.

From day 8 testimony on Pankey's search history on his computer.

"Kerns also brought up the inclusion of digital evidence regarding Pankey’s internet history in late July 2019, after Jonelle’s remains were found. According to the document, Pankey was going back and forth between searches about Jonelle and *advertiser censored*."

This guy is sick and depraved! I hope the DA nails him to the wall.

Thank you for all the updates on this trial!

Oooooh Pankey took the stand and testified. Because of course he did, he can't help himself.

I have to admit, I have been a little bit worried about this case, while I personally believe Pankey is responsible, it is a very circumstantial case. But by testifying, I think he probably just put the nails in his own coffin.

OCT 27, 2021
Steve Pankey trial Day 11: Two of Pankey’s family members testify; alternate suspect evidence revealed – Greeley Tribune
[...]

At the start of the day, defense attorney Anthony Viorst advised the court the main subject matter for the day would be the introduction of evidence that would tie Norris Drake into the narrative of Jonelle’s disappearance.

[...]

GRE-Z-Pankey-02.jpg

Steve Pankey in December 1984, the month Jonelle was kidnapped and murdered. (Weld District Attorney’s Office/For Greeley Tribune)

[...]

Since the beginning of trial, Viorst has argued Drake was across the street at his mother’s home the evening of December 1984, making him a plausible suspect. On top of this information, Viorst has constructed an argument that Drake was interested in young girls.

The defense attorney strived to bring this evidence into Pankey’s defense from the testimony of Andrea Yost, the ex-wife of Drake’s roommate in 1984 and a woman with whom he developed a romantic relationship.

[...]

In 1989, Yost had an interview with Greeley Police Detective Keith Olson in which she made statements that Drake looked at young girls in binoculars. She made a correction to these statements during Wednesday’s trial that he actually watched his adult neighbor, Susan.

[...]

On Wednesday, Olson took the stand to explain his involvement in the 1989 investigation into Jonelle’s disappearance.

[...]

Despite 9:30 p.m. being the time Jonelle’s father arrived home to discover his daughter missing, Viorst indicated Drake could have left earlier than his mother reported.

Past statements from the Drake family gave investigators a timeline to Norris Drake’s alibi. This timeline indicated the family was watching The Cosby Show from 7-9 p.m.

[...]

Cross-examination from Wells highlighted there were no matching shoe prints between the Drake residence and the Matthews’ residence to the prints found in the back of home. Additionally, there was no mention of Drake’s shoe size in Olson’s writings, and he couldn’t remember the shoe size from memory during his testimony.

[...]

Drake didn’t return home until between the hours of 2-4 a.m., according to her testimony. She explained her brother was upset Drake had not returned his truck before midnight, the time both siblings went to bed.

Daviet recalls sleeping on the couch right by the front door when Drake arrived home past midnight to go to his room in the basement.

[...]

Wells objected several times in Viorst’s direct examination of Daviet, with many of Viorst’s questions deemed leading and relying on hearsay evidence.

[...]

Before interviewing Drake on the record, Olson spoke with Drake, and he revealed he had knowledge about raked-over shoe prints in the backyard of the Matthews’ home the night Jonelle went missing.

[...]

A recorded video was conducted during the Nov. 19, 1989 interview of Drake, and fragments of the video were played Wednesday morning.

The video showed Drake being questioned about his knowledge of the controlled evidence.

Drake’s account of receiving information came from his mother, according to his interview. He said his mother allegedly said multiple sets of shoe prints, which belonged to kids who came to kidnap Jonelle, were found in the backyard of the home.

[...]

Once the interviews with Drake and people he associated with him came to an end, law enforcement executed a search warrant of the Drake residence. Olson said they found “no criminatory evidence.”

[...]

Mark Pankey, the first child of Pankey and his ex-wife, Angela Hicks, was called to the stand by Viorst to discuss his father’s behavior and his accounts from his childhood.

Mark told Viorst he had no recollection of a red-orange car, which multiple people testified seeing Pankey drive, including Hicks.

[...]

Since Mark was freshly 5 years old during 1984, Assistant District Attorney Robb Miller questioned if his memories were reliable.

As a child, Mark recalled his father never owning, talking about or shooting guns. Although, later in life, Pankey started collecting guns, including an older gun given to him by his sister, Teri Barr.

[...]

Another family member took the stand to answer similar questions from Viorst, adding in some information about Pankey as a child. ...
[...]

Barr explained what Pankey was like as a kid, claiming her “brother had problems,” including:
  • He was different from others and didn’t get along with most people.
  • Sometimes he was happy and other times he was moody.
  • He was alone a lot.
  • He was suspicious of people and felt like everyone was always out to get him to the point where his dad made him go on walks to stop being so paranoid.
  • He had compulsions, including touching walls multiple times before he left the room and coming back to re-touch the walls, as well as pacing.
[...]

Before stepping down from the stand, Pankey’s sister confirmed she refused to talk about the case with police on April 15.

[...]

Oh my! I can't say I'm surprised he took the stand. He really is his own worst enemy.

Noting:

... Steven Pankey took the stand on Thursday.

He spoke for several hours, questioned by his defense attorney, trying to convince the jury he is now an honest man, even though he lied routinely in the past.

[...]

... He allegedly asked for immunity from law enforcement in exchange for information on the location of Williams's body. Pankey said the reason he asked for immunity was protection from other criminal prosecution for separate charges.

[...]

Pankey said any former statements about him knowing Williams were lies and that he never knew her.

"It was just me trying to be a big man be in the case. I had no knowledge," Pankey said.

[...]

After the defense questioning, the trial concluded for the day.

OCT 28, 2021
Steve Pankey trial Day 12: Pankey admits to lying about Jonelle Matthews case, but maintains he wasn’t involved: ‘I made a lot of stuff up’ – Greeley Tribune
Steve Pankey ... testified Thursday, admitting he lied about the case to law enforcement over the years, out of bitterness against his former church, his former supervisor and police.

“This is the hard part because I raised my hand and I swore to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth,” Pankey said after his defense attorney, Anthony Viorst, questioned him about an alleged Dec. 27, 1984 conversation Pankey claimed to have had with his father-in-law about someone looking to hide a body.

“It did not happen,” Pankey said.

[...]

Pankey maintained he hadn’t known Jonelle nor the Matthews until after the young girl’s disappearance on the night of Dec. 20, 1984, repeating his assertion that he had no involvement in her disappearance.

[...]

Pankey denied owning a red Toyota Celica, saying he only briefly owned a silver Toyota Celica when he was living on Weld County Road 47 1/2.

Pankey also tried clearing up confusion about his claims to being a youth pastor at Sunny View Church of the Nazarene, where he said he was doing many of the duties of the youth pastor who worked at the church prior to Pankey’s arrival.

Pankey said he was asked to leave the church, but returned a few times for choir practice.

[...]

Pankey denied his ex-wife Angela Hicks’ testimony that he ever banned radio, TV and news from the household. He also said the trip his family took to Big Bear Lake, California, after Jonelle’s disappearance was planned, despite Hicks’ testimony it was a rushed trip.

[...]

Pankey said he hadn’t “dumped” the dogs suddenly before the trip to California, but he had taken them to a shelter months before because he couldn’t afford to keep them and was getting rid of the fence on his property.

[...]

Then Viorst asked about the conversation Pankey claimed to have had with his father-in-law, in both media interviews.

“I was humiliated when Russ Ross held me in 7 Up and the other man hit me,” Pankey said after admitting the conversation hadn’t happened. “I spent a couple of hours in the basement jail area with my attorney, and I was praying, and he was talking to me about my testimony.”

Pankey said his lies got “bigger and bigger and bigger” over the years.

“Mr. Viorst was saying to me, because I would give certain things, and he’d say, ‘Well, that’s a good answer,'” Pankey said. “And then I’d say other things, and he’d say, ‘Well, that’s . Nobody’s going to buy that.”

[...]

“I made a lot of stuff up out of bitterness for things that happened to me at Sunny View and for things that happened to me at 7 Up and my revenge on them was to — and cause I hated the police,” Pankey said. “It was all in one to say, ‘I’ve got information that you want, and you can’t have it.’

[...]

Viorst asked Pankey why the jury should believe Pankey didn’t know the Matthews prior to Jonelle’s disappearance, given his previous lies. Pankey said he’s always clearly stated he didn’t know the Matthews from Dec. 20-26 of that year.

Pankey said he truly thought it was possible someone with the church may have tried “putting a Hispanic girl in her place” due to things he said were “going on” at the church, echoing the theory he’s previously presented. He said he learned about the shoe prints in the snow that were raked over when Lt. Mark Lockwood spoke to him about the case in the 1990s.

[...]

Firearms instructor testifies; detective returns to the stand

Before Pankey’s testimony Thursday afternoon, a firearms instructor and pastor in Idaho testified to giving Pankey gun training around 2019, when he became a person of interest in the case. Lance Earl testified Pankey was a “beginner shooter.” He said Pankey’s lack of skills appeared “genuine” and “frightening.”

On cross-examination, Earl confirmed it’s easy to lose handgun skills if someone doesn’t stay up-to-date with training. He also noted it’s easier to shoot closer targets. Assistant District Attorney Robb Miller also argued Pankey could have faked the lack of skills, given the timing of Pankey becoming a person of interest.

Greeley Police Detective Robert Cash was called back to the stand, facing further questions about Viorst’s alternate suspect, Norris Drake, who died in 2007. Cash testified he didn’t know Drake’s shoe size, but said he conducted a follow-up investigation into Drake.

[...]

Other witnesses called by Viorst included James Roybal, a retired Greeley police sergeant who interviewed Jonelle’s classmates, including Rochelle Baxley, who testified this year to seeing a red or orange car that troubled Jonelle while on the bus back from the concert. In Roybal’s report, there was no mention of the car, which Roybal said he would have written up.

[...]

Another witness testified to a discussion she had with Pankey about his self-published book, “Graveyards,” in which he depicts the murder of a young Greeley woman as the result of nefarious people in the Nazarene Church. Miller highlighted the murder was publicized in the media, and that the victim had worked with Pankey’s wife.

Blaine County Coroner Russell Mikel testified to working with Pankey during a double murder case, in which the two responded to the scene of the crime only to be turned away because the sheriff’s office was investigating. After the investigation, Mikel was the only one to drive back.

The trial continues 9 a.m. Friday.

OCT 29, 2021
Steve Pankey Questioned By Prosecutors In Jonelle Matthews Murder Trial
[...]

“You’re a master manipulator, right?” Rourke asked.

“Maybe,” Pankey responded

For the second day in a row, Pankey told stories of how his obsession with the Matthews case was rooted in lies.

[...]

“You have tried to use Jonelle Matthews as leverage, haven’t you?” Rourke asked.

“Yes,” Pankey confessed.

[...]

One point Rourke revisited on multiple occasions was Pankey’s requests for immunity from prosecution, requests which were made before he was ever identified as a suspect.

“You’re asking for immunity, demanding it, for murder and kidnapping, before you will say anything about Jonelle Matthews, right?” Rourke asked.

“You don’t know what is in my head,” Pankey said.

“I am trying to get there,” Rourke said, causing both himself and Pankey to laugh.

[...]

A letter Pankey sent to investigators before he was a named suspect showed he admitted to having violent encounters with women in the past.
Pankey said he did write the letter.

Rourke noted that Pankey said women, making sure to emphasize more than one female was being referenced.

“Is the other one Jonelle Matthews?” Rourke asked.

Pankey sat in silence for several seconds before saying no.

When given the opportunity to ask questions themselves, some from the jury questioned Pankey on his series of timelines from 1984.

Others questioned his knowledge of the case, and noted his extreme proximity and connections to both the church where Matthews was last seen and the field where her body was found decades later.

[...]

Thank you for ALL the updates!

So - is Pankey finished on cross on Friday? Or is he still on the stand Monday for cross & then re-direct? Or ??

TIA! if anyone knows the answer! As usual I can't find any current articles on this case over here....

Thank you for ALL the updates!

So - is Pankey finished on cross on Friday? Or is he still on the stand Monday for cross & then re-direct? Or ??

TIA! if anyone knows the answer! As usual I can't find any current articles on this case over here....
From the Coloradoan:

OCT 30, 2021
Suspect on trial in Jonelle Matthews cold case maintains innocence
The defense rested its case Friday afternoon. Next week, the prosecution will be able to bring any witnesses back to testify in front of the jury before the attorneys make their closing statements and the jury is asked to deliberate. Pankey's trial is scheduled to end Friday, Nov. 5.

The Greeley that Jim and Gloria Matthews knew before the Christmas of 1984 was a family-friendly college cow town known for the Independence Stampede: it was a place where kids could play in endless fields and bike ride on dirt roads, unaccompanied until their moms called them inside for dinner.

But when the Matthews’ pre-teen daughter, Jonelle, went missing from her own living room after an evening of singing carols, Greeley became a nice place where bad things could happen.

More at How Jonelle Matthews' 1984 disappearance rocked a Colorado town, and helped spotlight the plight of missing children

Snipped from above:

"Pankey said he truly thought it was possible someone with the church may have tried “putting a Hispanic girl in her place” due to things he said were “going on” at the church"...

Was Jonelle Hispanic? She has darker coloring but I wasn't aware of that. I find the above an interesting statement, considering that Pankey strikes me as an injustice collector of the highest order. Given that her friend said that Jonelle reacted weirdly to his car, I wonder if he hadn't tried to be friendly towards her and was rebuffed at some point. Sometimes there's a little bit of truth in every lie with these types.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back