Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #81

Status
Not open for further replies.
In many restaurants in the US, there is no cashier.

True. But any super-busy restaurant of the caliber of MP would have hostesses. (And Google reviews for MP mention hostesses.) MP also has a wait list so people aren't just seating themselves willy-nilly. A hostess would be able to track down the server because she will know which server was assigned to a particular table.
JMO

So, to whom do I pay in cash? Seems like someone is collecting the money, and giving change. Often, the hostess is also the cashier. jmo

Yes, a lot of "sit down" restaurants in the U.S. do not have a cashier and instead the wait staff leaves a bill on the table and then tells the patron they will be back to take their payment. If someone pays by card, they place their card on the receipt and the staff picks it up, takes it to process the card and returns with a receipt to sign. If someone pays by cash, they leave the cash on the table and, unless they require change, the patron can leave before the staff returns to the table to pick up their payment.

Snipped by me for relevance. This is what I think. No where does it imply it was a stealth dine and dash, just that they left without paying. Not saying it was the right way to handle the situation, just agreeing that they possibly could have said we’re not paying because of x, y or z and not that they tried to sneak out. JMO
BBM: Just leaving without paying, for any reason, is Dine and Dash, lol. You don't get to order a meal and then make your own call as to if you want to pay. MOO.

BBM: Just leaving without paying, for any reason, is Dine and Dash, lol. You don't get to order a meal and then make your own call as to if you want to pay. MOO.
There can be circumstances where someone can leave without paying and it's not dine and dash.

So, to whom do I pay in cash? Seems like someone is collecting the money, and giving change. Often, the hostess is also the cashier. jmo

To your server. I've been in small ma & pa restaurants, up to 5 star restaurants, and everything in-between. The server takes your payment and either brings back change, or the rung up slip to sign if you used a credit card.

Thanks! So, she could have stayed there, too, on the 26th (and maybe 25th?) Not necessarily in Jackson...and closer to spread creek?? jmo I thought maybe Jackson just because that's where they had lunch on 27th, but she could have been at Sig Mtn. and he picked her up 27th, went to lunch in Jax then went up to spread creek?....where he proceeded to kill her. jmo
That's a good thought, if she wasn't with him on the 26th when he was seen with the van by the dog-lady (sorry i forget her name)it makes sense she could've been at a hotel moo

When the manager says they were trying to leave without paying that doesn't necessarily mean they tried to sneak out without paying. It sounds like they said, "we're not paying" and walked out, with the waitress following them out and demanding they pay. Eventually they relented and paid. But they still felt for whatever reason that they shouldn't have to pay.

If they actually finished their meals then the manager would think the complaint was contrived. If you don't like the food you send it back. If you don't like the service it's reflected in the tip. If you just walk out without paying after you have eaten the food you're gonna get in trouble whether you leave shouting it to the rooftops or through the bathroom window.

I wish we knew what the complaint was about.

Waiting for it....
Split tab-one person pays while another patron in the party doesn't realize the tab has been split.
Payment is left in cash, server doesn't realize or it gets picked up by someone else.
Payment is left in cash but not enough (i.e. bill is $40 and patron thought they left 2-20's but they left a 20 and a 10).
Or in this case, a restaurant charges 18% gratuity. Patron leaves just enough money to cover the tab, refusing to pay the gratuity, then the bill isn't completely paid.

To your server. I've been in small ma & pa restaurants, up to 5 star restaurants, and everything in-between. The server takes your payment and either brings back change, or the rung up slip to sign if you used a credit card.
I understand that, I guess I didn't know that servers hung on to all the cash payments, plus all the charged transactions til the end of their shift.....sort of risky, to me, for the establishment. What if all the charges are drenched in water or coffee, by mishap? I just thought there was a designated person as keeper of the intake. That's a burden on waitstaff, but I suppose you are right. jmo

So, I am not criticizing anyone, just going to make an observation here. As others have noted, Gabby and BL are almost blank slates to us. We know only the very small, curated versions they chose to post online. We saw them more clearly in the Moab stop and feel we have more insight into their lives because of it.

Reading through the posts, however, I see so many posts projecting that “maybe Gabby did this because it happened to me once.” Or “maybe BL did this Bc my ex did this once.” I just want to point out that our own life experiences may not have any relation to these two people and what they experienced. They may react nothing like us and process things differently than us. We just don’t know.

I love the theories, I’m just saying that sleuthing actual facts through the small amount available to us is not necessarily the same as applying what’s happened to our lives. I understand the tendency but I think it has begun to skew how these 2 people have been portrayed. We just don’t know them. I know what I think I may have done in Gabby’s situation but my reaction may he nothing at all like hers.

JMO.

There can be circumstances where someone can leave without paying and it's not dine and dash.

Sure - if the manager has been involved and ageeed that your situation warranted removing something/everything from y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48