Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know if the identification by dental records is being questioned? I thought it was confirmed. Why would they still be looking for generic evidentiary material? Maybe there is some point of law where identification via DNA trumps that completed via record comparison? I have no idea, maybe I’m missing a point of why the quest for an answer about DNA analysis has become so important.
ha
I'm not sure it was ever said by LE that they were sending the remains to the forensic anthropologist for identification (although they may end up finding evidence that corroborates ID).

Instead, they are looking for Cause of Death. Microscopic injuries on bones will show if the injuries were inflicted while bones were fresh and living - or later, after person was dead. Alligator bite or chew marks. If part of the skeleton has been carried off, some animal probably chewed that part off early on and they will be able to tell (maybe) which animal it was. There are also studies they can do that might help with time of death - not that it matters much in this case.

I think they want to know whether it was a suicide. It might be fairly obvious to LE, but they'd want the forensic anthropologist to confirm (especially if, say, no bullet was found or something like cutting was involved...)

In terms of identifying evidence from the crime scene (Gabby's), LE would want BL's DNA to compare against any human evidence they found there. There may be blood, other body fluids, skin cells, etc.

IIRC, FBI came twice to the L residence to collect DNA material for BL. Why would that be necessary? IIRC, these two times were outside of the general search warrant and bagging of stuff. Any ideas?

ha
I'm not sure it was ever said by LE that they were sending the remains to the forensic anthropologist for identification (although they may end up finding evidence that corroborates ID).

Instead, they are looking for Cause of Death. Microscopic injuries on bones will show if the injuries were inflicted while bones were fresh and living - or later, after person was dead. Alligator bite or chew marks. If part of the skeleton has been carried off, some animal probably chewed that part off early on and they will be able to tell (maybe) which animal it was. There are also studies they can do that might help with time of death - not that it matters much in this case.

I think they want to know whether it was a suicide. It might be fairly obvious to LE, but they'd want the forensic anthropologist to confirm (especially if, say, no bullet was found or something like cutting was involved...)
Iirc SB said sent to FA for DNA analysis. OF course, on the rest of your post, but my question was not about the reason of value of FA analysis. It was about the quest for DNA that been all over these threads and MSM.
imo if ID was completed by dental exam, no DNA double check is required.

The Laundries were acting under the advice of their legal representative, and implementing their constitutional right to silence.

Morally, some might disagree with their actions, but legally they've done absolutely nothing wrong, hence them not being considered suspects, or charged with any crime. Their priority was their son, and who can blame any parent for putting their child first?

MOO
We have never seen cell phone data, we've never seen landline phone data, we've never read witness statements from each witness and we've never seen GPS data on any vehicle. We probably have at our fingertips 1% of evidence, the rest of the evidence law enforcement is holding close to the vest. So no one can say at for a fact yet Laundrie's have legally done absolutely nothing wrong. In my opinion we simply I have very little information to go on yet.

It's not about reporting. It was a curious situation and we have no idea what story B told them about his sudden appearance home. But, even if they missed the cues that something wasn't quite right, they then refused to respond to G's very concerned parents. That is not criminal behavior, but it is cold and mighty suspicious. jmo
I am always sorrowful for any parent who has lost their child, no matter the age or circumstances. It is not the natural order of things.
But I do have to admit, it doesn't change my opinion of the selfish motives that I believe the Laundries displayed towards Gabby's family. They protected their own, at the expense of others, and in the end ~ what good did it really do them?
Enough MOOing for me right now.

Its very.possible they knew.everything that was.going.on!
From.him going home. Empty storage
To.the LE stop
And the restaurant!
When he shows up.at home they are not surprised!
The calls.didn't start till the 11th. Then they realized something was very wrong a d a few days later.he was gone too!

We.don't know what he told.his.parents but my guess is they were.aware!
Jmo
bbm
Agreed.
I also believe his parents knew what Brian had done.
And that's why they refused to answer Gabby's families' calls.
There was no excuse.
Even if B. had said they quarreled and parted -- what was his reason for stealing her cards and her van ?
He had or was given funds to go home mid-trip, and empty out the storage unit or whatever it was that he was doing -- so he should have had money to go home after they fought and split up.
But in that case Gabby would've had her vehicle and cards and I'd imagine she would've contacted her family ?
Imo.

My understanding is that the first time that Gabby's parents tried to contact the Laundries was on Saturday the 11th. The Laundries had recently returned from the Fort DeSoto camping trip (on the 8th.) They may well have been working on the 9th and 10th and then have been in the process of unpacking from that trip on the weekend, doing laundry, catching up on housework, yard work, mail and not paying attention to their cellphones. Then the police turned up at their house at 11pm that night and they gave the police their lawyer's card and called SB at 11:30pm. IMO, the Laundrie parents might have been like deer in the headlights at that point. Frankly, many people in the USA would not have answered the door to anyone at 11:30pm due to crime. I can only imagine how alarmed they were at the time. They may well have been the first time they knew something was wrong and that's why they contacted their attorney. What if, up until then they thought that Gabby had gone back to New York? But I don't think they "refused" or ignored Gabby's parents. I think they had no clue what was going on and no information to give them that would help.

My impression early on was that BL was telling the lawyer that he was a crime victim and there would be a bushy-haired stranger type of defense. I'm not sure why the lawyer couldn't tell Gabby's family or the police where BL last saw Gabby. But...knowing how poor communication in this case has been, it is equally possible that SB did tell the FBI where BL last saw Gabby. Of course, Gabby's family would not be aware of anything SB told LE.

All JMO.
bbm
It would seem more likely that they knew what happened and may have been in major damage control ?

They had to have known something was very wrong when Brian showed up sans Gabby but with her van and credit cards.
Both of Gabby's parents said they called/texted multiple times and were ignored.
Even if, let's say, Gabby's parents didn't try to contact the Laundries' (some people aren't that close and Gabby was an adult on a long, cross-country trip); wouldn't Brian's parents have wondered why he was in possession of a vehicle that didn't belong to him and also that he'd racked up 1,000's of dollars on cards that were not in his name ?
Other options aren't completely off the table -- but Gabby was no stranger to the L.'s and they must have known something was horribly wrong.
MOO.

We also have no reason to believe they did, at present.
Um...no that is not true. JP has reason to believe it. And made it clear to us the public.

"We called Brian, we called the mom, we called the dad, we called the sister, we called every number that we could find,” Petito said. “No phone calls were picked up, no text messages were returned.”

"Petito said he wants Laundrie to be held accountable for whatever part he played in Gabby’s disappearance, along with his family for protecting him."

I hope they get what’s coming, and that includes his folks,” Petito said. “Because I’ll tell you, right now, they are just as complicit, in my book.”

Gabby Petito father goes on Dr. Phil

I think.they.packed.everything g up.because they we're not coming back! I don't believe its a lot of stuff ! We don't have winter and summer clothes here. Lol It was room.they had and the furniture is probably Brian ! Clothes books art.supplies etc.etc would be what I would imagine she left.behind . there may be alot.of those things.left.innthe.van
I think they broke up because if they didn't why not send the things.to NY! He went home.so he goes.to the storage gets his stuff out then she Maybe asks him.to.come back!
And off he goes!
He should.have.stayed home!

Just a thought!
bbm
I think Gabby tried to break up with him and he flew into a deadly rage and murdered her.
As frightening but simple as that.
Certainly agreed, esp. the bolded !

Imo.

bbm
Agreed.
I also believe his parents knew what Brian had done.
And that's why they refused to answer Gabby's families' calls.
There was no excuse.
Even if B. had said they quarreled and parted -- what was his reason for stealing her cards and her van ?
He had or was given funds to go home mid-trip, and empty out the storage unit or whatever it was that he was doing -- so he should have had money to go home after they fought and split up.
But in that case Gabby would've had her vehicle and cards and I'd imagine she would've contacted her family ?
Imo.
Well to be fair I dont think they knew about the cards till after the fact!
And imo they would not consider their van as stolen! Her parents didn’t start calling till late the 11th. I don’t think they knew she was dead! But that’s just my take on things!
And again my outlook is a bit different because I have beeen thru this but with a better end result.
I sometimes think there is way more to this story than we even can imagine!
I may be wrong. Won’t be the first time nor the last !

Um...no that is not true. JP has reason to believe it. And made it clear to us the public.

"We called Brian, we called the mom, we called the dad, we called the sister, we called every number that we could find,” Petito said. “No phone calls were picked up, no text messages were returned.”

"Petito said he wants Laundrie to be held accountable for whatever part he played in Gabby’s disappearance, along with his family for protecting him."

I hope they get what’s coming, and that includes his folks,” Petito said. “Because I’ll tell you, right now, they are just as complicit, in my book.”

bbm
Hmmm......
Wonder if his sister was threatened not to talk ?
If she knew nothing-- why wouldn't she answer her phone ?
She said iirc, that her kids called Gabby, "Aunt Gabby" ? :(
That would indicate a closeness between them, that would make answering a phone call to be a normal habit.
Imo.

I have often wondered about BL going back to FL to clean out a storage locker. Has there ever been any proof of that trip? Also GP posted that pic of herself at the Monarch Butterfly wall in Ogden , UT during that time frame. How did she get to Ogden given that she did not like to drive the van? Who took those pictures of her? Please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

bbm
It would seem more likely that they knew what happened and may have been in major damage control ?

They had to have known something was very wrong when Brian showed up sans Gabby but with her van and credit cards.
Both of Gabby's parents said they called/texted multiple times and were ignored.
Even if, let's say, Gabby's parents didn't try to contact the Laundries' (some people aren't that close and Gabby was an adult on a long, cross-country trip); wouldn't Brian's parents have wondered why he was in possession of a vehicle that didn't belong to him and also that he'd racked up 1,000's of dollars on cards that were not in his name ?
Other options aren't completely off the table -- but Gabby was no stranger to the L.'s and they must have known something was horribly wrong.
MOO.

Just ftr, Brian wasn't indicted for using the cards until 9/22 -- after he was long gone from his parents' house. I don't think we know if they found out about the cards before then. jmo

bbm
I think Gabby tried to break up with him and he flew into a deadly rage and murdered her.
As frightening but simple as that.
Certainly agreed, esp. the bolded !

Imo.
I agree!
Words were said. That sent him into a blind rage! I dont even think he realized what he had done till after!

We don't know the exact day NS and JP started contacting Laundries. However, we can deduce it wasn't into the second week in September.

"Petito said his family began worrying after several days without hearing from their daughter."

Once they started worrying the next thing they would have done is start contacting Gabby and Brian.

Since there was no response they would have attempted to contact, text, pm, email--whatever it took to get a hold of Laundries in MOO.

We have never seen cell phone data, we've never seen landline phone data, we've never read witness statements from each witness and we've never seen GPS data on any vehicle. We probably have at our fingertips 1% of evidence, the rest of the evidence law enforcement is holding close to the vest. So no one can say at for a fact yet Laundrie's have legally done absolutely nothing wrong. In my opinion we simply I have very little information to go on yet.
You make a good point that we are not privy to evidence, which makes it odd that so much speculation exists about the L parents potentially doing anything illegal when we don't have any evidence available that they did.

bbm

MOO.
Excellent post!!

I have often wondered about BL going back to FL to clean out a storage locker. Has there ever been any proof of that trip? Also GP posted that pic of herself at the Monarch Butterfly wall in Ogden , UT during that time frame. How did she get to Ogden given that she did not like to drive the van? Who took those pictures of her? Please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

All good questions. I didn't realise the Monarch Butterfly wall photos were from the time period when BL was allegedly back in FL

MOO

The opinion of an angry, grieving father isn't evidence of wrongdoing, however. He may believe they were complicit, but neither he nor we have evidence of such at this time... and if he does, he hasn't shared it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla