AK AK - Michael Palmer, 15, Wasilla, 4 June 1999

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
I learned about this case while researching another one. The investigators working on it are leaning towards foul play. Sadly, Michael isn't the only one missing from his family. His brother Charles disappeared eleven years later.

NamUs

NAMPN

Doe Network

Charley Project

palmer_michael.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
• Missing Since: June 4, 1999 from Wasilla, Alaska
• Classification: Endangered Missing
• Date Of Birth: January 8, 1984
• Height and Weight: 5'5 - 5'6, 110 pounds
• Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown/blond hair, blue eyes. Michael is left-handed. His nickname is Mike. At the time of his disappearance, his hair was shaved on the sides and longer in the center.
• Clothing/Jewelry Description: A t-shirt, blue jeans and a black jacket with red stripes on the sleeves and the Marlboro cigarette logo on the lapel.

Details of Disappearance
Michael spent the night at a friend's home in Wasilla, Alaska on June 4, 1999. The night, he slipped out of the house and attended a graduation party with three friends near the Meadow Lake subdivision outside of Wasilla. He was last seen riding a bicycle down Pittman Road in the direction of his family's residence at approximately 4:00 a.m. His residence was approximately nine miles from the location of the party. His friends had been riding with him but he fell behind them. They waited for him at the 7-Eleven on Parks Highway, but gave up and assumed he went home. He never did arrive at his residence, however. His mother reported him missing at 3:00 p.m. that day, eleven hours after he was last seen.

Michael has never been seen again. The bicycle, which he had borrowed, was located sometime later in the Little Susitna River, which runs roughly parallel to the Pittman Road and Silver Drive intersection. Michael's high-top Converse sneakers were also discovered near a private runway for a homeowner's personal aircraft. They were wet and muddy when they were located. No other evidence concerning his whereabouts was discovered.

Some reports have speculated that Michael may have been beaten by an unknown suspect or suspects while riding his bicycle. A local youth claimed he witnessed Palmer being beaten and shot on a bridge, but later the young man admitted he had made up the story. Others have theorized that Michael may have fallen into the river and died of hypothermia shortly afterwards, but tracker dogs could not trace his scent there and no one saw a body in the still, clear water.

Michael's older brother, Charles "Chucky" Palmer V, disappeared near Talkeetna, Alaska in April 2010, almost eleven years after Michael vanished. Charles was 30 years old at the time. He went on a snow machine ride and never returned, and his snow machine was later found stuck in the deep snow. He is presumed to have perished of exposure, and was declared legally dead in April 2011.

Michael's family stated he was not a troubled teen in 1999 and it would be unlike him to run away from home and be gone for so long without contacting his family. His father believes he may be deceased. His case remains unsolved.

Troopers still look for clues in 1999 disappearance of Wasilla teen - June 5, 2000

Alaska, Land of the Lost - February 15, 2005

The Last Brother - April 15, 2010

Overlapping Disappearances: The Brothers Palmer - December 29, 2012

2010 article:

At the time, troopers said Michael was biking back from the party with three other boys when he got separated. The other boys waited for him, but he never showed. Troopers said a bicycle they pulled from the Little Susitna River was the one Michael was riding, but Chris said it was a different bike. Chris said there were fights at the house party his little brother biked to, and he thinks something bad happened there.

Divers searched the Little Su, about 50 searchers combed the nearby woods, and troopers interviewed teenagers who had been at the party. A pair of wet shoes, the same size and brand Michael wore, was found less than a mile from where he was last seen, but other than that no trace of the youngest brother was ever found.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/article/last-brother/2010/04/16/

2006 article:

Charles Palmer did some searching on his own.

"I went out as a friendly father, I found out a lot of information about the whole thing,” Palmer said.

"I was in good standing and then I had to leave the state. I knew if they started threatening me, it would be the last threat they ever made.”

Palmer also hired two private investigators, he said. The first, a woman, left town after she was threatened, he said. Before Palmer ran out of money, he said, the second investigator, a man, found out that Mike might never have left the party. Palmer also heard the rumors, which ranged from details of a murder to kidnapping.

"The stories I heard would make your stomach turn,” he said. "But nobody knows. He was a good kid, he did what other kids did. Mike was a follower, not a leader. Tommy, Dustin and Cameron, that's a (b.s.) story what they said. I've been out there at 2, 3 and 4 a.m. and looked. There's no way they could have seen him. Why take off in the first place? Why leave him?”

http://www.frontiersman.com/news/yo...cle_4778a9bd-9231-5e38-bf8a-d2aa21a7fba1.html

When I saw the thread I immediately knew that it was the young man whose brother went missing several years after...Such a tragedy. That poor family.

Bump

• NCMEC: 864936

Michael Palmer

NCMC864936c1.jpg

Missing Since - Jun 4, 1999
Missing From - Wasilla, AK
DOB - Jan 8, 1984
Age Now - 35
Sex - Male
Race - White
Hair Color - Lt. Brown
Eye Color - Blue
Height - 5'5"
Weight - 110 lbs

Age Progressed

NCMC864936e1.jpg

Michael's photo is shown age-progressed to 28 years. He was last seen riding his bicycle on his way home on the evening of June 4, 1999. Michael's bicycle has since been found but he has not been seen or heard from since.

He was last seen wearing a black "Marlboro" jacket with red stripes, a tee shirt, and blue jeans.

Have you seen this child? MICHAEL PALMER

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back