Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
But she did not go missing from North Port
And they had no Intention moving back anytime soon. She was last with her mom before she left for her trip! I’d think Mom was the best person to file a MPR. Since she is the one Gabby spoke to all the time abs she is MOM!

There was nothing NPPD could do!
Just my 2 cents

I agree there is not much they could have done to investigate the MP case but I think they could have explained that she is required to file where GP was last known to be, helped locate the appropriate police department in that location, and put her in touch with those authorities. IMO

I agree there is not much they could have done to investigate the MP case but I think they could have explained that she is required to file where GP was last known to be, helped locate the appropriate police department in that location, and put her in touch with those authorities. IMO
I’m pretty sure they did!
NPPD had no idea where these kids last were. She probably had more info than anyone but Brian. He wasn’t talking so MOM had to!
I’d have called
My own PD or sheriff office abs asked them
They did not go missing from North Porr!

It's my understanding NS told the NPPD she didn't know where GP was last. That's one reason she was getting frustrated and didn't know where to turn. Not really sure what NPPD could have done if that was true. I guess the last photographic evidence put GP in Ogden. (Of what could be publicly known at the time. Don't know what NS knew from phone calls/texts. Her public story has evolved too which isn't surprising under the circumstances.)

JMO

Speculation: Brian took Gabby’s keys and phone, and used her money (SB says they shared expenses) to buy a plane ticket just to show her how important he was. Maybe he helped his father, but maybe flying home to help was just a way to abuse Gabby. MOO
She seemed to be ok with it (him flying home), but while she did confide in her mom, I think no one really knew the true story behind it. I wonder if he bought a round trip ticket, or two one-way tickets. If, the latter, it would seem that he wasn't planning to return to SLC, but changed his mind, possibly after he had already disposed of her belongings....just speculating..... I keep ranting about her "stuff" because it would include her art and memorabilia and personal treasures from life pre-Brian. jmo

Speculation: Brian took Gabby’s keys and phone, and used her money (SB says they shared expenses) to buy a plane ticket just to show her how important he was. Maybe he helped his father, but maybe flying home to help was just a way to abuse Gabby. MOO
Hmm - would she not tell her dad? How did Gabby and her dad facetime if B had her phone? How did Cassie call/facetime Gabby if Brian had her phone? How did Gabby take the pic at the market with her phone if Brian had it?

But maybe he sent someone else?
All those police calls kind of say the cops had to check the property Someone was there!
Jmo

Joe Petito went to NPPD, he never went to the house and never sent anyone there. The 911 calls could have been from the Laundries upset that JP/NS were calling repeatedly to try and find out where Gabby was. Originally, until informed BL and the van were at the Laundrie home, they thought BL might be missing as well as Gabby.

Unlikely, Gabby facetimed with her dad on her phone.

It's my understanding NS told the NPPD she didn't know where GP was last. That's one reason she was getting frustrated and didn't know where to turn. Not really sure what NPPD could have done if that was true. I guess the last photographic evidence put GP in Ogden. (Of what could be publicly known at the time. Don't know what NS knew from phone calls/texts. Her public story has evolved too which isn't surprising under the circumstances.)

JMO
She had an idea the area she was or where she was headed! Dad too!

Joe Petito went to NPPD, he never went to the house and never sent anyone there. The 911 calls could have been from the Laundries upset that JP/NS were calling repeatedly to try and find out where Gabby was. Originally, until informed BL and the van were at the Laundrie home, they thought BL might be missing as well as Gabby.
When u read the call log it tells u they checked the property numerous times

I have never been comfortable with the discussions that question GP's outdoor and camping know-how, or her fear of being alone. While I think she would have preferred to have somebody with her at all times, I do not think she was completely unable to handle being on her own for periods of time. I'm aware of her being called "dependent," her anxiety and what she said during the Moab stop, but that was a scary and stressful situation where she was facing LE and a forced separation from her boyfriend. I do not think it is fair to use that one instance to label her entire functionality. I could be very, very off with that assumption, though, and I readily admit it. Jmo.

I find it totally plausible that GP was okay with camping, hiking, and being alone some of that time while BL went off hiking while she worked on SM. I don't know why I get this impression, but I feel like it was potentially routine behavior for them. Maybe not for multiple overnights, but who knows. Maybe I'm just being idealistic, but I think GP was a typical 22-year-old woman with aspirations for adventure and success, and I want to give her the credit of having some tenacity in her own abilities. I do not think she was perfect, by any means, but I think she was spirited. Jmo.

Anything is possible. The fact is, none of us knew Gabby and what her characteristics were. We have few observations to make our assessments, and they are either the body cam video (a high stress situation) or social media posts (usually an idealized persona of oneself).

It is equally a conjecture to imagine that she was dependent and fearful of being alone as it is to imagine that she was independent and enjoyed being alone.

Maybe someday people who knew her well will shed some light on what she was really like.

Last edited:
She had an idea the area she was or where she was headed! Dad too!

Yes. They knew where she had been and where she was headed-- Out West. As in Utah, Wyoming, Oregon, California, Montana....NS didn't know exactly where GP was supposed to be at any given moment though. And obviously it's not possible to contact authorities "somewhere out West." So NS was stuck but so was NPPD in telling her who to call.
JMO

She seemed to be ok with it (him flying home), but while she did confide in her mom, I think no one really knew the true story behind it. I wonder if he bought a round trip ticket, or two one-way tickets. If, the latter, it would seem that he wasn't planning to return to SLC, but changed his mind, possibly after he had already disposed of her belongings....just speculating..... I keep ranting about her "stuff" because it would include her art and memorabilia and personal treasures from life pre-Brian. jmo
I dont for a second think he would throw away her things! My guess is lawyers are making arrangement to get her things back!

I don't doubt a change of address form for US mail can be completed online these days. Much easier than it used to be. But to change an address, the person needs a new address to change to. Is the assumption G&B were going to live with Gabby's mother and stepfather next? It seems odd that was never mentioned by her family. And odd NS seemed to think all of GP's property was in FL.

When I questioned this idea previously, posters pointed out that young people (as well as other people of any age) may do things differently than I would. I'd certainly agree with that. But I still fail to see why they'd try to become NY residents before their nomadic trip while maintaining the van registration in Florida. It wasn't for insurance purposes as car insurance costs more in FL than NY. And so far as I know, a person doesn't really have a (legal) choice about where to register a car. It's registered in the state where one lives. Finally it wasn't clear to me that either G or B intended to get paying jobs anytime soon. But NY does have state income tax and FL doesn't. Looks like a 4% tax rate on $0-$8500 if filing single. New York State Income Tax: 2021 Rates, Who Pays - NerdWallet
Why sign up to pay that without living there? Just seems weird. And like @CharlestonGal said, it does seem the NPPD may have evolving reasons for not acting sooner.

If GP and BL wanted their US Mail to go to GP's mother for some reason while they were traveling, they could have had it forwarded. They didn't need to "move to NY" for that to happen. Just odd. And odd if JP moved to FL to be close to GP as he said he did.
JMO
I do t think these 2 got any important mail
Everything is online.
There is nothing important they had to do!
They are going from one parents home to another.
No big deal!

I am just wondering why Gabby and Brian never had a tan. The photos that I have seen, neither appeared to look like they were outside all day.
Even with sunscreen you still can get a tan.

I certainly do not want to sound ignorant, I am just wondering why they did not even have a light tan.

Thank you in advance for your help I have been wondering this for a while.

I'd like to know about GP's "stuff" too. But I personally don't have enough evidence to say Brian, much less Brian and his father, threw her stuff away. In fact I have no evidence at all that happened. We also don't know how much stuff she even had. It sounds like she'd been living in other people's houses since leaving her mother's house. (Godmother, Cassie's, Laundries) And JP said she preferred "experiences" to possessions. So she may not have amassed much stuff beyond clothes, jewelry, and tiny trinkets.

The only things I know for sure:

NS & JS said they didn't have GP's stuff at the end of Sept. They have not mentioned her stuff since so far as I know. At that family press conference they said she was living in FL prior to the trip. No mention of any move to NY.

And when contacted after that press conference:

"A spokesman for the North Port, Florida police told The Independent after the press conference that he was not certain where the victim’s belongings were and was “unaware of any items of hers from inside the home."

Gabby Petito: Family say they still don’t have her remains, belongings

People have assumed the NPPD was saying nothing of GP's could be found after searching the house. I don't think that's what the guy was saying. While we'd all like GP's family to get her stuff back assuming they want it, I doubt the police were too concerned about looking for "her treasures" during their search. I think the guy is saying (in effect) "I don't know where her stuff is. That not why we were there. No one has told me about any stuff of hers we took as evidence."
JMO

This wasn't the first time Gabby and BL travelled across country:

On August 19, while Brian was gone, Gabby uploaded a video to YouTube. She wrote in the description:

A glimpse into our van adventures! After our first cross country trip in a little Nissan Sentra, we both decided we to wanted downsize our lives and travel full time, but trying to fit everything for two people into the tiny little trunk of the car, also spending way too much on gas, food, and airbnb, was not the road to take. We quickly realized we had to come up with a solution if we wanted to continue traveling and living nomadically, so that’s why we handcrafted our own tiny van, a simple 2012 Ford transit connect, utilizing space with unique designs and features. Creating a space for both artistic expression and distance hiking. Thank you so much for watching, and we hope you tag along on our journey wherever the van takes us!

WATCH: Gabby Petito’s YouTube video posted while Brian Laundrie left her in Utah (dennismichaellynch.com)
It’s so hard reading her words. Such a positive and adventurous young woman looking forward to an amazing future. Breaks my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater