Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
For folks familiar with how things might usually unfold in a situation like this, do you think there will be a final report from the FBI about GP's murder and their investigation, what happened leading up to her murder, and BL's actions afterwards until he ended his life? Will there be filings in the bankcard usage case? Will we find out if there were unsealed indictments? Will the search warrant for the van be released? How much of all of this will be public? What do you think the time frame would be?

I have all of the same questions so many others have expressed and I hope BL’s journal does help clear up what might have happened during those last weeks. For now I remain skeptical about anything he wrote after Gabby was murdered. Would he be truthful? I have my doubts, but if those details are ever released maybe it will provide some insights.

I suppose my feelings about what might be his last thoughts are fueled by my belief that he was a coward who would not want his actions known. I recognize that belief may be incorrect.

JMO

With respect, why would a minor in possession be filed on an incident report regarding Brian being missing? It does not make sense to me. But maybe thats me. JMO

I was responding to the OP who stated that MIP can mean minor in possession in CA. I live in CA so was responding to that. At this point, I don't think MIP meant minor in possession for BL either.

MOO.

thing i don't understand about SB explanation about filing a local missing person report on brian at around 6:15pm 0n 9/17 is that he stated everyone agreed it was the best course of action. he was in total agreement that brian should be reported missing to local police. so, why didn't SB encourage someone in the family to call local police on monday night 9/13? he told fbi, why not the local police? he states in the interview, if i remember correctly, that the "procedure" was for someone in the household to notify local police. seems to me SB should have explained that to the laundries on monday night. maybe after everyone agreed that the local report was necessary one of the officers called in a report. SB doesn't say if mom and dad granted permission for LE to call it in. just everyone agreed it was the right thing to do. i wonder why mom and dad and SB did not think it was the right thing to do on monday, 9/13. MOO.

Brian was a 23 year old able-minded adult. It can be difficult to get LE to accept a missing person report against an adult. You have to convince them the person is actually missing and not just taking some time to themselves or whatever. And when the missing person is an adult LE is not going to tell you where they are, even if they find them. That is private information.

So the Laundries likely decided to give it a few days. And then, beginning on the 15th, LE started saying they knew where Brian was. So there's no reason to tell LE to look for Brian when they already know where he is. On the 16th and potentially the 15th, as far as the Laundries knew, LE knew where Brian was. It wasn't until the FBI phoned Bertolino on the 17th and asked about a Brian sighting that they worked out that Brian was truly missing.

It doesn't make any sense to me either. Brian was almost 24. Even if he had a alcohol possession charge after moving to FL before he turned 21 (unlikely IMO; reporters would have found it as he wouldn't have been a juvenile) what would that have to do with him being missing 3+ years later?
JMO
Maybe BL was on spring break in FL and picked up the MIP?

For folks familiar with how things might usually unfold in a situation like this, do you think there will be a final report from the FBI about GP's murder and their investigation, what happened leading up to her murder, and BL's actions afterwards until he ended his life? Will there be filings in the bankcard usage case? Will we find out if there were unsealed indictments? Will the search warrant for the van be released? How much of all of this will be public? What do you think the time frame would be?
IMO, I believe Gabby’s parents will be taking legal action in the future and hopefully the investigation will provide more information. IMO

So many good ideas and questions on this page….

Wallendo, great questions. We may find out some of the info if FBI or LE has it. Other then that we may never find out. I believe the L’s will go the way of the Anthony parents…..mix things up and/or stay quiet, blame anyone or anything. So what happened, is what the public will decide from news and if anyone releases info…but not from the L’s.

NCWatcher, I side with Gabby’s Family and Friends. The L’s have led me to believe the guilt of their son. That’s just how I feel…BL in the heat of an argument, lost control. He murdered Gabby. I believe the trip started out fun, but as time went on the close confinement heated things up. IMO, Gabby had second thoughts of staying in any relation with BL. She wanted to back up and think, be free. I believe BL became to controlling and could not face the fact Gabby wanted to end things. It would have been an embarrassment to him to tell,his family and friends the relationship, whether finance, boyfriend or girls friend was over.

CLGM….because this is such a well known case and the fact that Gabby’s family want answers, I think possibly we will find out most information. It will take time. If LE or FBI do not release the info, I think Gabby’s parents will reveal what they know. They know so many people supported them and want answers. We may have to wait until they can handle it personally…. But I think we will get the answers they know.

Coquette, sorry I cannot help with the MIP. Too bad the all LE throughout the states did not use the same word shortcuts!

I do not think the L’s will ever release any info. I would have a hard time believing them too. Even with the watertight bag “found” at the swamp, holding BL so called book….drawing, writings etc. I wonder if it was planted, if not that morning, how about the night before by a friend? Even with cameras around the house, at night, they still could have gotten out….or maybe have given it to someone else to plant the night before after the park was opened up. I also want to know of any pages are missing, cut, ripped or torn out? Did Gabby write in this journal book too? I doubt if he will ever know about medication BL may or may not have been on. We can only speculate. If any of them needed medication by a doctor, how did they get in on the road? Some medication is closely monitored and they would have had to have doctor visits to get renewals and the find a pharmacy as they travel to get it. Now parents could have filled it and mailed it but all that would have had to be prearranged. Lots of questions and no answers.

all the above is only MOO…also….my spouse always said….think like crook to find the answers so even if some ideas are “way out there”, anything is possible.

Maybe BL was on spring break in FL and picked up the MIP?

Well, I suppose we could hypothesize when BL was in high school in NY he spent a spring break in Florida & got caught with alcohol. (Maybe he was with GP and she was charged too for all we know.) If he was a juvenile when charged as a MIP (instead of 18-21), then reporters might not be able to get his record. But that begs the question of relevance even more. What would possession of alcohol during a spring break in high school possibly have to do with going missing at nearly age 24? And based on this link, it sounds like that sort of charge would have been expunged at age 18 anyway.

What happens to my Florida juvenile record once I turn 18? | Mattie Fore Law LLC).

JMO

BBM
I beg to differ.

"Meanwhile, the Petito family's attorney, Richard Stafford, said the Laundries are not doing enough to help with this investigation. Some are speculating that Brian's parents, Chris and Roberta Laundrie, know more than they are letting on."

"The Laundries did not help us find Gabby, they sure are not going to help us find Brian," Stafford said. "For Brian, we're asking you to turn yourself in to the FBI or the nearest law enforcement agency."

Petito case: Investigators know when sister talked to Laundrie, lawyer says

We now know that the statement that "[the Laundries] are not going to help us find Brian" is completely false. They did assist LE from the moment it was realized that Brian was missing. They agreed a missing person report should be filed. They provided DNA samples. They provided full cooperation with LE in regards to finding Brian. Mr. Laundrie even personally assisted LE in the search near the area where Brian was eventually found.

I do not believe that MIP in the case of BL’s misper refers to minor in possession, jmo. But for those who do, I offer these thoughts. I don’t know why there is so much focus over when BL was in FL. If you have a criminal record, you have a criminal record. It does not matter where or when your crimes were committed (excepting expunged, juvenile, etc.) the record is available to LE anywhere. Moo.

Last edited:
I do not believe that MIP in the case of BL’s misper refers to minor in possession, jmo. But for those who do, I offer these thoughts. I don’t know why there is so much focus over when BL was in FL. If you have a criminal record, you have a criminal record. It does not matter where or when your crimes were committed (excepting expunged, juvenile, etc.) the record is available to LE anywhere.

I don't think MIP stands for Minor in Possession in tbe paperwork for BL either. But the location likely matters for people who do because unlike in FL, MIP appears to be a civil offense not a criminal one in NY.

New York Minor in Possession of Alcohol Laws and Penalties

JMO

not directed at you specifically, just continuing the topic…

I was thinking about that. that notebook must be dry by now, with the level of fbi tech available. If it contained a written confession, I think they would be closing the case now. If the L parents have any kind of note or confession, I doubt that they will reveal it.

all moo.
Also if there's anything bad about Gabby I bet they won't release it. But they sure did release a lot about Watts and Frazee. So I'm hopeful we will get a media dump at some point.

Does.anyone think they will be able.to.prove who actually killed her?
If Brian left a confession note, then I think most will accept he was guilty though they may not accept his description of the event.

If he leaves a note saying he is innocent, then I think some will believe him and most will not.

If he doesn't leave a note, then I think it's unlikely to be officially solved.

MOO

We now know that the statement that "[the Laundries] are not going to help us find Brian" is completely false. They did assist LE from the moment it was realized that Brian was missing. They agreed a missing person report should be filed. They provided DNA samples. They provided full cooperation with LE in regards to finding Brian. Mr. Laundrie even personally assisted LE in the search near the area where Brian was eventually found.
They only took care of there own. They were only were interested in Brian. They chose and stated to stay in the background in finding Gabby. They have done nothing to help find Gabby.

MIP - Minor in Possession in Florida
Florida Minor in Possession of Alcohol Charges and Penalties

"
Florida MIP Laws
Like other states, Florida requires that individuals must be at least 21 years old before they may possess or consume alcohol. Someone who is 18 years or older but under 21 can handle alcoholic beverages as a part of their job, so long as they work in a licensed establishment. Underage students may taste, but not consume, alcohol as part of a class at an accredited university.

A first-offense MIP charge in Florida is considered a second-degree misdemeanor. It comes with a fine of $500, up to 60 days in jail and a driver’s license suspension of six months to one year. A second offense or beyond is a first-degree misdemeanor and comes with a fine of $1,000, up to one year in prison and license suspension up to two years."
Underage Drinking: Minor in Possession Charges | The Recovery Village

Too bad they didn't help with Gabby at all, their future daughter in law.

Brian was a 23 year old able-minded adult. It can be difficult to get LE to accept a missing person report against an adult. You have to convince them the person is actually missing and not just taking some time to themselves or whatever. And when the missing person is an adult LE is not going to tell you where they are, even if they find them. That is private information.

So the Laundries likely decided to give it a few days. And then, beginning on the 15th, LE started saying they knew where Brian was. So there's no reason to tell LE to look for Brian when they already know where he is. On the 16th and potentially the 15th, as far as the Laundries knew, LE knew where Brian was. It wasn't until the FBI phoned Bertolino on the 17th and asked about a Brian sighting that they worked out that Brian was truly missing.

Are you suggesting that the Ls, despite knowing BL had left and not returned, but had not made a formal missing person report, just took LE's statement about knowing where BL was at face value, didn't (figuratively) march down there and ask at least if LE knew he was safe? Bc that would have clarified to LE right then that LE - which, IIRC, believed that BL was at home with the Ls (based on mistaking R for B) - was mistaken. I can hardly believe that they wouldn't at least have begged LE to confirm he was safe, thus exposing the gap in understanding.

But why list an old irrelevant "under age," charge as an "Offense" on a missing person incident report for someone nearly 24? I agree MIP often means Minor in Possession of Alcohol. But B was years away from being under 21. Why would that possibly be relevant now and why hadn't reporters already found that charge against him if it existed?

Maybe the officer just goofed up the form and essentially listed him as missing twice on the form?
JMO

Well...this is the NPPD...the same police force that mistook RL for BL and thought he came home in the Mustang. Based on that, I think nearly any explanation is possible. MIP may or may not mean what it usually means in Florida. It could have been someone filling out the form wrong. It could have meant his parents noticed some drugs missing from the house and told NPPD that BL may have taken them and was mischaracterized that way with the officer thinking "boy lives at home with parents = teen" although BL was 23. I don't see anything about a possible weapon on this page although it was obvious they were searching for one and everyone showed up to search the next day wearing body armor and heavily armed. I would literally believe any explanation from the NPPD about this, if they even have an explanation.

Usually crimes committed in youth are sealed and I also wondered if BL may have done something or other in the past when he was underage that involved the police like many teens do and from that his parents knew not to talk to police and just hand over the lawyers card and let SB take it from there because they did handle this situation like they had previous experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member