Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was responding to your last sentence in your post. I always wondered the same about his lingering near the crime scene. My thoughts are not how most see it, but I will write it anyway. I don't think BL is what he is portrayed as in social media. Yes, I do believe he killed GP, but I do think it shocked him and sent him into a mental fog due to his anxiety issues. I think that GP and BL fought ALL the time, even before they took off on their road trip. The van life trip just exacerbated their fighting where it became more violent between the two of them,and it does take two people to fight. I do not think BL meant to kill her. Since we don't have the complete autopsy report, I wonder if it was more of a freak accident. Perhaps he grabbed her throat as he had grabbed her face in Moab. He could have been so mad that his anger and strength crushed her windpipe in the process, and she died relatively quickly. It makes me think BL loitered around not believing she was actually dead. I wonder if he left her in the van and ran off in disbelief hoping she would actually still be alive when he returned. When he came back, she would be working on her vlog as he had told the people that he hitchhiked rides with. When he returned, everything was at he left. Perhaps he set her shoes next to her with her backpack and a blanket at the site they had camped at and ran home pretending it didn't happen. I believe that is his MO.....to run away . That way it never really took place. He could pretend it never happened. He couldn't face the consequences, and those consequences were coming in the form of a Long Arm of the Law. I choose to believe BL didn't mean to murder Gabby. It's just that their fights went too far. Should be a lesson to everyone that we should never strike another. In short, he was hoping she wasn't actually deceased. He hoped when he returned, she would be working in the van.
My thoughts are the same.

I was responding to your last sentence in your post. I always wondered the same about his lingering near the crime scene. My thoughts are not how most see it, but I will write it anyway. I don't think BL is what he is portrayed as in social media. Yes, I do believe he killed GP, but I do think it shocked him and sent him into a mental fog due to his anxiety issues. I think that GP and BL fought ALL the time, even before they took off on their road trip. The van life trip just exacerbated their fighting where it became more violent between the two of them,and it does take two people to fight. I do not think BL meant to kill her. Since we don't have the complete autopsy report, I wonder if it was more of a freak accident. Perhaps he grabbed her throat as he had grabbed her face in Moab. He could have been so mad that his anger and strength crushed her windpipe in the process, and she died relatively quickly. It makes me think BL loitered around not believing she was actually dead. I wonder if he left her in the van and ran off in disbelief hoping she would actually still be alive when he returned. When he came back, she would be working on her vlog as he had told the people that he hitchhiked rides with. When he returned, everything was at he left. Perhaps he set her shoes next to her with her backpack and a blanket at the site they had camped at and ran home pretending it didn't happen. I believe that is his MO.....to run away . That way it never really took place. He could pretend it never happened. He couldn't face the consequences, and those consequences were coming in the form of a Long Arm of the Law. I choose to believe BL didn't mean to murder Gabby. It's just that their fights went too far. Should be a lesson to everyone that we should never strike another. In short, he was hoping she wasn't actually deceased. He hoped when he returned, she would be working in the van.

I think you pretty much nailed it.

The quote you put here is not slander. It's fact - they haven't helped find Gabby; and opinion - they aren't going to help find Brian.

Agreed 100%. Whatever we do or don't know or believe, we know for certain that Gabby's life was taken. Her family have to live without her and with the horrific knowledge of how her life ended. The last thing they would need is their attorney facing a slander lawsuit from the family of the only POI.

I would absolutely love to see the Laundries sue the Petito family lawyer for slander. He made so many questionable claims against them.

Here's one:

"“Again,” the attorney said. “For the Laundries’ silence: The Laundries did not help us find Gabby. They sure [are] not going to help us find Brian. For Brian: We’re asking you to turn yourself in to the FBI or the nearest law enforcement agency.”"

False. Turns out the Laundries were fully cooperative in terms of finding Brian. So he lied.

He didn't lie - he gave his opinion, that is not slander. There would be no point pursuing that line imo

Agreed 100%. Whatever we do or don't know or believe, we know for certain that Gabby's life was taken. Her family have to live without her and with the horrific knowledge of how her life ended. The last thing they would need is their attorney facing a slander lawsuit from the family of the only POI.
I often think about Gabby’s parents and what Hell they lived in both day and night while she was missing.
Lost. Helpless. Scared. Sick. Day in and day out.
I imagine sleep would only come out of emotional exhaustion, only to wake up every day hoping it was just a bad dream. As well, the shock, disbelief and anger that other people who might hold the key to their despair, refuse to help them. And then, a parent’s worst nightmare came true. The loss. Hopeless. Anger. IMO

I'm trying to look at what LE possibly knew and when they knew it.

After Sept. 11th, they knew GP hadn't been heard from by her family since Aug. 27th (or Aug 30th if you count that text). After impounding the van on the 11th, they also knew there were electronic devices still inside.

After the 14th, they had legal access to those devices, specifically GP's external hard drive. They would likely have then had the date she last worked on her computer editing, which maybe did not require wifi or cell reception, like text, calls, or data would. ???

With that possible hard drive information known, 4 days later, on Sept. 18th, the FBI asks for witnesses at Spread Creek between Aug. 27 - 30th. Cell pings and/or camera captures could have placed them at SC on the 30th, also, but since GP hadn't even been located by Sept. 18th (or as @jjonez pointed out, was even known to be dead), I don't know that LE would have gathered camera information yet. Maybe cell records. JS reportedly talked to the FBI on Sept. 16 about seeing the van (and BL), but she said it was gone by the 28th. But, based on this early date and timing, I think external hard drive info might be very important here.

On the 19th, one day later, they search SC (likely on tips) and find GP.

Two days later, on Sept. 21, the autopsy is done, GP is identified, and COD of homicide is released.

Next day, 22nd, FBI issues arrest warrant for activities beginning Aug. 30th. Credit card info was likely known earlier, though, imo.

GP's mom said in an interview that GP sometimes didn't get great phone reception, so NS said they only talked a few times a week. I have to at least consider, based on what little information we have, that GP was in Spread Creek, out of contact to anyone because she had no reception for cell or email capabilities, but could have been in the van editing a couple days worth of GTNP footage while BL reportedly hiked. I think it's at least worth considering they were taking a short break from each other before heading to Yellowstone.

By all accounts, she could have died the evening of the 29th or even the morning of the 30th. Maybe I just want her to have had a couple extra days on Earth, but I think the information off that hard drive will very much narrow down the day.

All JMO...

Last edited:

The (apparent; I've seen it repeated in one of more domestic violence sites) facts on strangulation:
  • Only eleven pounds or more of pressure applied to both a person’s carotid arteries for merely ten seconds can cause unconsciousness.
  • To completely close off the trachea, approximately 33 pounds of pressure is required.
  • If strangulation persists, brain death will occur in 4-5 minutes.
http://dhss.alaska.gov/ocs/Documents/childrensjustice/strangulation/20.Strangulation Brochure.pdf

Now, I've seen people debate how long it "really" takes someone to die via strangulation, but it seems likely that if some sources say 3 and some say 5, we can be assured it's at least 2 minutes.

In other words, as the coroner in this case has (I believe) specifically tried to say; strangulation is not and never has been a possible "heat of the moment" defense/possible outcome for BL.

It took him time.

It was a conscious decision he had to make.

He had to decide to maintain pressure upon Gabby's trachea; and it was not quick based upon these facts, IMO.

The coroner is also basically telling us, and common sense also indicates, that Brian/any human can only apply a certain amount of pressure per inch with their bare hands, no matter how fit and strong those hands; and the coroner (not IMO, but factual, IIRC) has also told us it was manual; i.e., he can tell the difference between fingers and a wire loop, or fingers and a brick/macadamia-nut-splitting elephant/any other type of object that doesn't leave marks which look like human fingers.

Except we know that strangulation just doesn’t happen that way. Manual strangulation is not an accident.

Also depends upon how many people were around them.

That is to say, if Gabby was indeed strangled at the campsite, the campsite was actually pretty populated, all things considered; and there's quite a difference between Gabby going unconscious in seconds, as my post above potentially says could happen; with respect to what Brian chooses to do next, that is to say:

-If death was quick for Gabby, then this probably increases the chance it was an accident.

-However, if it then was an accident and happened quickly, why didn't Brian do anything to attempt to get help for Gabby? If he knew he "just touched her" and wasn't expecting the outcome from a brief accidental period of contact, why wasn't he frantic? Dialing 911, or at least shrieking to the point where someone else heard him?

We are pretty certain that wherever the strangulation occurred, it wasn't inside a hotel room, restaurant, or similar; and again, the campsites weren't all that remote, in the grand scheme of things; we were thinking about it a lot more romantically, than thinking it was crowded AF as it in fact appears to have been. If a guy started carrying on hysterically about he doesn't know how to revive his fiancee, doesn't this involve either actively trying to find neighboring people or being inadvertently found out by the neighboring people?

Everything that has come out so far, tends to indicate that Brian was in fact fairly calm about the strangulation. Cops weren't called about this sketchy sketcher driving erratically around as the tears blinded them, etc., etc.

IMO, BL killed Gabby in a white-hot rage and felt good about it afterwards; or at the very least justified about it.

I often think about Gabby’s parents and what Hell they lived in both day and night while she was missing.
Lost. Helpless. Scared. Sick. Day in and day out.
I imagine sleep would only come out of emotional exhaustion, only to wake up every day hoping it was just a bad dream. As well, the shock, disbelief and anger that other people who might hold the key to their despair, refuse to help them. And then, a parent’s worst nightmare came true. The loss. Hopeless. Anger. IMO

I would imagine the Laundrie's feel much of those same feelings.
imo.

I'm curious how anyone knows what date items are pinned on Pinterest. Perhaps there's an indicator for it that I'm unaware of.

There's not, to my knowledge, any way of knowing when someone else put up a pin. That pin about the Burnout book was likely not the last pin that Brian made, his most recent pins were surely repins of some items that Gabby was pinning pertaining to their wedding and future children. She pinned those (and instagrammed some of them) right after their engagement. The category into which the book was pinned seems to be abandoned. I subscribe to BL's pinterest (and Gabby's) and when I first subscribed, pinterest showed me "BL's latest pins," and the book was not included - it was all wedding and baby stuff. Since the book had to be pinned from somewhere (he pinned it from Etsy), I went to see if the book was still available on Etsy but it is not. It is self-published by an Etsy person and that appears to have been around 3 years ago...

It is possible that when the L's gave LE SB's card, they held out that this attorney was representing all three of them. We don't know. If that is the case, then LE wouldn't have approached BL when he went off on his hike alone.

Providing the card/name in response to a request to see Brian is sufficiently clear that LE would not have tried to corner him for a 1:1. But just because someone has an attorney does not mean that they can’t be surveilled if it were otherwise okay to do so.

The quote you put here is not slander. It's fact - they haven't helped find Gabby; and opinion - they aren't going to help find Brian.

I think it can be shown, legally, that they did "help find Brian." They led LE right to him, on the day the park reopened. It was closed due to flooding, not merely because of the search.

Odd indeed, but after all, their first priority was to protect their son from the law, and that they surely did. IMO
That's not relevant to what I said, though. Taking the car home and, as well, specifically not asking for LE to help find their presumably endangered or dead son (in the scenario to which I responded), don't have anything to do with protecting their son - unless you are talking about a scenario in which they believed him alive and well and wanted to obscure his possible whereabouts...which isn't the scenario I was addressing.

The fbi clearly has so much information.
I wonder everyday, if BL killed GP(and I believe he did), what is the final piece they are looking for/need to close this case?
Do they have another suspect that we don’t know about?

I figure that the case has to go pretty high within the FBI bureaucracy, in order to obtain any kind of settled status. I don't know (and so far, haven't seen any information here or elsewhere online) about what other options the FBI has, when it is chief investigator in a murder case. IOW, is there some kind of status besides "closed" or "cold." How long do they have to go without further tips, before the case is declared cold? What's the process for naming a dead suspect, saying there is no other, and closing it? How often does that even happen - and how long ago was the precedent set?

I bet someone knows the answers somewhere (but they maybe inside the FBI).

They may have all the pieces they need, but have to figure out exactly who needs to lay eyes on it, in order to close the case.

I would absolutely love to see the Laundries sue the Petito family lawyer for slander. He made so many questionable claims against them.

Here's one:

"“Again,” the attorney said. “For the Laundries’ silence: The Laundries did not help us find Gabby. They sure [are] not going to help us find Brian. For Brian: We’re asking you to turn yourself in to the FBI or the nearest law enforcement agency.”"

False. Turns out the Laundries were fully cooperative in terms of finding Brian. So he lied.

Suing the Petito’s would pretty much seal the deal for the Laundries to become the most hated family in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken