ID ID - Fern Baird, 64, poss. hiker, Prairie Creek Area, Blaine Co, 22 Oct 2020

It was seriously unlikely I’d be hiking EVER but with all the missing hikers lately it’s pretty much permanently off my bucket list.

I’m surprised it took so long to report her missing. Do we know more of her family/social dynamics? Wouldn’t someone know where she was going and expect her to be in contact sooner than 3 days?

Praying for a positive outcome

Fern is a member of a Park City outdoors club, and hiked regularly with a small group of friends. We are all aghast and saddened by her disappearance. My guess is that she hiked a few miles and got off trail. I have hiked in this area of the Sawtooth National Recreation Area, and have observed that the trails often have side trails, and are not very well marked. There is no cell phone coverage north of the visitors center in Ketchum. I am guessing that Fern viewed this as an easy hike on a popular trail, on a nice day. I am surprised that she has not been found, but I imagine that she tried to find some shelter, so now not easy to spot. Possibly she followed some game trails for quite a distance, and she is out of the area that was searched.

Fern is a member of a Park City outdoors club, and hiked regularly with a small group of friends. We are all aghast and saddened by her disappearance. My guess is that she hiked a few miles and got off trail. I have hiked in this area of the Sawtooth National Recreation Area, and have observed that the trails often have side trails, and are not very well marked. There is no cell phone coverage north of the visitors center in Ketchum. I am guessing that Fern viewed this as an easy hike on a popular trail, on a nice day. I am surprised that she has not been found, but I imagine that she tried to find some shelter, so now not easy to spot. Possibly she followed some game trails for quite a distance, and she is out of the area that was searched.
I'm so sorry. From the little we know of Fern, she seems like a lovely person. I think you could be absolutely right about her trying to find shelter. I hope she'll eventually be found when weather permits. (((hugs))) MOO

This is so sad. I live about 15 mins south of this trailhead, in Ketchum. I have been on these trails several times. I am wondering why there is not even a missing/lost hiker poster at the trailhead? There are many elk/animal trails that can be confusing if you are not familiar with the hikes...especially West fork of Prairie Creek trail which is considered in some trail guidebooks as a "hard" trail. I think it is very likely that Fern did find herself no longer on the correct trail, especially if she didn't have a guide map with her, and is a bit off trail. I was there twice while a search was being conducted but didn't see any searchers or any trace of a search being conducted which is alarming. Does she have family?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so sad. I live about 15 mins south of this trailhead, in Ketchum. I have been on these trails several times. I am wondering why there is not even a missing/lost hiker poster at the trailhead? There are many elk/animal trails that can be confusing if you are not familiar with the hikes...especially West fork of Prairie Creek trail which is considered in some trail guidebooks as a "hard" trail. I think it is very likely that Fern did find herself no longer on the correct trail, especially if she didn't have a guide map with her, and is a bit off trail. I was there twice while a search was being conducted but didn't see any searchers or any trace of a search being conducted which is alarming. Does she have family?
BBM Yes, she does.

OCT 26, 2020
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article246736031.html
Baird’s family is offering a $25,000 reward for information leading to her return. Anyone with information on Baird’s whereabouts should contact Lt. Mike Abaid at (208) 578-3371 or sheriff@co.blaine.id.us.

I wonder if these hikers ever contacted LE?

Group Of Tulsans Believed To Be Last People To See Missing Idaho Hiker
Tuesday, October 27th 2020, 10:17 pm

The Blaine County Sheriff's Office said a group of hikers from Tulsa signed the trail's logbook around the same time as Baird. They believe the group hiked either the West Fork drainage of Prairie Creek or to Prairie Lake on October 19. "Fern Baird had checked in and after that there was a party of five and it’s not that legible, but what we are kind of making out is the last name is Adkins,” said Blaine County Sheriff’s Lt. Mike Abaid.

JUL 21, 2021
After 9 months, Utah woman’s disappearance still a mystery | Blaine County | mtexpress.com
[...]

Baird most likely took Prairie Lakes Trail, a lightly trafficked, moderately rated 10-mile loop on the west side of state Highway 75. The trail, popular among cross-country skiers in the winter, runs along Prairie Creek and crosses small waterfalls as it gains elevation.

[...]

A group of 40 personnel scoured the Prairie Lakes, Minor Lakes, Norton Lakes and Mill Lake regions using three K9 search teams, two drones, several Idaho National Guard helicopters and officers on foot and horseback.

On Monday, when Baird was last seen, temperatures had reached 63 degrees and remained above-freezing at night. Wintry conditions arrived on Friday, however, bringing 4 inches of snow and lows in the 20s.

[...]

“She may have taken shelter and passed away from exposure … There is nothing that points to foul play, but there is nothing that points to anything concrete either.”

[...]

On Oct. 19, a family of five from Tulsa, Okla., signed the logbook around the same time as Baird and hiked either the West Fork drainage of Prairie Creek or to Prairie Lake. The Sheriff’s office was able to track the family down, “but they did not see her or provide any useful information,” Fruehling said. The Sheriff’s office interviewed another couple from Boise that signed the logbook that day, but the pair had also not seen the missing hiker.

[...]

Up until her disappearance, Baird was a principal broker at Powder Beach Realty, serving Park City and surrounding areas. She specialized in residential sales and vacation rentals, according to her LinkedIn profile. She also founded Yopa, a yoga backpack company in Park City. Previously, she held various positions at Snowbird Ski Resort and Park City Mountain Resort. She also worked as a ski instructor at Deer Valley Resort.

[...]

Blaine County Sheriff’s Lt. Mike Abaid told KPCW that there is no active search. While the case remains open, he says they have no leads to go on. Search and Rescue teams did some training in the area this summer, he says but they weren’t able to find anything.

While they may never know what happened, he says the likely scenario is that something happened while she was hiking – or that she got lost and bedded down and died of exposure. While there is plenty of wildlife in the area, he say they have nothing concrete to move forward with. He says there is definitely some difficult terrain in the area, and some spots that she could have fallen down, depending on which way she went.
No New Leads For Park City Woman Lost in Idaho

Fern Alexandra Baird – The Charley Project

baird_fern.jpg
baird_fern2.jpg
baird_fern_clothes.jpg
baird_fern_car.jpg

• Missing Since: 10/19/2020
  • Missing From: Blaine County, Idaho
  • Classification: Lost/Injured Missing
  • Sex: Female
  • Race: White
  • Height and Weight: 5'5, 115 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description: A light gray jacket, dark-colored pants, gray gloves, a dark-colored mask and a dark-colored fanny pack. A photo of Baird in those clothes is posted with this case summary.
  • Associated Vehicle(s): 2018 Subaru Crosstrek with Utah vanity license plates reading "YOPABAG" (accounted for)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Baird was last seen hiking alone near the Prairie Creek Trailhead in Blaine County, Idaho, outside of Ketchum, on October 19, 2020. She signed the trail logbook at 1:17 p.m., writing: "To the lake and back." The trail is a ten-mile loop along the west side of Highway 75, within the Sawtooth National Forest.

She has never been heard from again. Her hotel reported her missing after she missed her check-out date. Her vehicle, a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek with Utah vanity license plates reading "YOPABAG", was later found abandoned at the trailhead parking lot. A photo of the car is posted with this case summary.

A six-day search, hampered by inclement weather, turned up no indication of Baird's whereabouts. She lived in Park City, Utah at the time of her disappearance and worked as a principal broker at Powder Beach Realty. Her family stated that, although she enjoyed hiking, she usually didn't try to climb mountains, take shortcuts or leave the trail.

Since her disappearance there has been no activity on her bank account, credit cards or cellular phone. She is presumed to have gotten lost or injured in the wilderness.

Investigating Agency
  • Blaine County Sheriff's Office 208-788-5555

You step into the woods on a crisp October day and immediately the rush and press of the outside world fall away. You hear birdsong; the creak of the trees; the murmur of a nearby stream. A scurry of leaves as a squirrel scampers up a tree trunk. The sigh of the branches in the breeze.

The forest can be a comforting, relaxing place for enjoying nature and exercising. Or it can be deadly. The shadowy trees are beautiful ... unless you step into them and vanish, never to be seen again.

On Monday, October 19, 2020, 62-year-old Fern Lovett Baird signed in at the Prairie Creek Trailhead in Idaho. She was an experienced hiker, although she was known to stick to the trails and not attempt any kind of dangerous hiking or take risks.

When she left her hotel, she was appropriately dressed for a chilly autumn hike in a warm grey jacket. She drove her black 2018 Subaru Crosstrek to the Prairie Creek parking lot, signed the logbook, and disappeared without a trace.
https://www./10005661/hiker-fern-baird-still-missing-6-months-later

Fern was from Park City, Utah. She worked as a realtor at Powder Beach Realty. Her LinkedIn profile listed her as the Owner/Principal Broker at this company. She sold residential homes but also provided vacation rentals at various mountain resorts in Utah.

She also founded the company YopaBag; she designed bags intended for carrying yoga supplies to class. This idea was born from her own love of yoga.

Not much is known about what may have happened to Fern. She signed the trail logbook around 1:00 in the afternoon and was never seen again. Around that same time, a group of hikers from Tulsa signed the book. They were located and questioned, but they reported that they never saw Fern.

From the Prairie Creek Trailhead, Fern may have hiked either the Prairie Lakes trail or the Miner Lake trail. The trails were steady but wouldn't have been difficult for a healthy, athletic hiker such as Fern. For example, the Prairie Lakes trail is about 5 miles one way. It leads through meadows and mixed conifer forests alongside Prairie Creek. Miner Lake trail is about 4 miles one way and is more difficult, featuring a steep climb to Miner Lake.
https://www./10005661/hiker-fern-baird-still-missing-6-months-later
A Vast Wilderness
a7bbe3f2-d5f1-4562-9abd-c19959aa5d28.png

On Thursday afternoon, October 22, 2020, the hotel Fern was staying at notified the police that she had never checked out or returned to the hotel after her hike. The Blaine County Sheriff's Search and Rescue members (BCSAR) and BCSO deputies began a search.

They had a lot of ground to cover. The trailhead where Fern signed in is within the Sawtooth National Forest, which covers 2,110,408 acres. Idaho Mountain Search and Rescue aided in the search. A group of forty searchers scoured the Prairie Lakes, Minor Lakes, Norton Lakes, and Mill Lake regions. They utilized three K-9 units, two drones, several Idaho National Guard helicopters, and officers on foot, motorcycle, and horseback.

No trace of Fern was found. One last major search was made on October 30, 2020. When nothing was found, not even a clue of Fern's whereabouts, the search was officially called off.

Blaine County Sheriff Steve Harkins said, “This is not the outcome that we were hoping for, but ... we have exhausted our resources."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back