GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
do we thing any of the defendants will take the stand? I don't think they will

I'd love to see the prosecution have a go at them, but I don't think there is any chance they will be testifying.

ETA: Well, Roddy's attorney is a loon, who knows what he'll try. But I still think even he knows better.

also, MOO obv

But Mr. Gough’s presentation is, like so much about him, confounding, and sometimes contradictory. Though he attended law school at the University of Georgia, Mr. Gough grew up on Long Island

He was fired from the public defender job for a number of reasons. Among them was the allegation that he fomented a culture of “fear and intimidation” in the office

Long before the trial about Mr. Arbery’s death started, Mr. Gough raised eyebrows by appearing on CNN with his client, who had not yet been arrested, and intervening when the anchor, Chris Cuomo, tried to ask Mr. Bryan questions about the case.

“My client is a mechanic with a high school education, and if you’ve ever been to the high schools around here, that’s not necessarily saying much, OK?” Mr. Gough said.

Lawyer for Man Accused of Killing Ahmaud Arbery Draws Scrutiny

for Friday, Nov. 12th - a long one! :)

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
13h
Kevin Gough is beginning his cross-exam of GBI ASAC Seacrist: You called Roddie Bryan? Seacrist: I knocked on his door. Gough: It wasn't Mr. Bryan looking for the spotlight? You needed his cooperation? Seacrist: I desired it.

Gough2.jpg

Gough: You can't compel people to talk to you because you're not a federal agent, you're a GBI agent, so people talk voluntarily? Seacrist: Correct.

Gough repeatedly looks at jury box as he asks Seacrist wasn't his "first mission" to secure Roddie Bryan's cellphone/video. A lot of controversy about the video? Seacrist: I don't know controversy, people didn't like what the video showed.

Gough & seacrist.jpg

Seacrist says yes, there was a need for the video. Gough points out GBI didn't know of Bryan's home security videos until Bryan told him. On May 11 did you tell Bryan the past week had probably been 1 of the worst of his life? And he agreed w/you? Yes, sir.

Gough: The GBI had arrested the McMichaels, your boss had given a press conference & you were there, & there was a press release. And speaking with Mr. Bryan what u describe as media & other entities were blowing situation up more. State objects--relevance.

Gough: The media craze only got worse in days to follow? Seacrist: The media was present. Gough: And you describe week as difficult b/c more media were involved? Seacrist: Is that a quote? Are you asking me a question?

Gough refers to a May '21 convo (or testimony, I believe he said: Does Seacrist recall Bryan & his fiancee telling you they were concerned for personal safety? Do you recall Amy saying she pulled a letter from her mailbox... State objects, relevance.

Gough: Did Bryan ask you do help protect him? Seacrist: I don't recall that directly. There were concerns about his safety, convos about it. Would you describe Bryan as scared? Seacrist: Because of situation in neighborhood yes.

On the May 11 transcript, Gough highlights portion where Seacrist told Bryan he appreciated him calling back and saying he wanted to talk, and coming in. "At this point, you're a witness."

Transcript.jpg

Gough: GCPD IDed him as a witness? Seacrist: I don't recall. KG: Where in this document does it tell Bryan what he's under investigation for? S: It doesn't. I'll add though that he knew what the investigation was about, as the whole thing was around #AhmaudArbery and his death.

Gough, continuing to look at jury frequently as he questions Seacrist: Maybe I slept through this part but where was the Miranda form on this occasion? Seacrist: He wasn't under arrest. That's only for someone questioned in custody. At no time was he.

Seacrist points out Bryan was told he was free to leave any time and his lawyer was there. Gough says but you could've Mirandized him. Seacrist says at that point there was no need. There's no cookie-cutter way to do this.

Seacrist says the point is to always get information needed to lead you to whether charges should be made. Gough: But there was a specific reason you didn't Mirandize him? Seacrist: Correct, because he was not in custody.

Gough: You never discussed citizen's arrest? Seacrist: Neither of us did. KG: Other concepts like self-defense? S: Don't recall that. Have a reference? Gough: No, you don't recall? We'll circle back.

Gough: Did you not earlier today discuss Bryan taking defensive action to pull away from Mr. #AhmaudArbery when he felt Arbery was trying to get into his truck? Seacrist: Not in relation to self-defense but in relation to the series of events.

Gough: There was concern by Mr. Bryan as to your intentions? Refers to transcript where interview stops. Seacrist tells jury Gough reminded Bryan he could pause at any point so they could confer.

Seacrist says That's what Gough is referring to here. State objects--bench. Seacrist reads how he & Gough discuss they'll step out. Returning, Seacrist told Bryan, I know not everyone talks to police every day & it's stressful, but we're gonna be OK here.

Court4.jpg

Seacrist: Nothing has changed; when we're done here, you're going home. Gough: Because he's just a witness. Seacrist: Our convo was bout his nervousness talking to police and you were speaking for your client as to his inability to recall events.

Gough: Because it's an issue dealing with him that day. Seacrist: I don't remember it being as much as an issue for him as it was for you.

Seacrist.jpg

Gough: You'd interviewed him twice for hours, you went to his house, you got fingerprints, you talked to him. Seacrist: After I promised you I wouldn't ask about case b/c you weren't there.

Gough: You'd built trust. Seacrist: As I do with all my witnesses, even subjects...to the point I've gotten texts from people I've arrested because I treated them fairly.

Seacrist didn't Bryan if he had any learning disabilities. Gough: Bryan never denied angling his vehicle in front of Mr. #AhmaudArbery? S: He didn't deny angling his vehicle in that direction. His words changed drastically between GCPD interview and intvw w/ me

Gough: Did I ask you whether he changed his wording, or did I ask you whether he denied angling his vehicle?

Gough: He never denied angling his vehicle in front of #AhmaudArbery? Seacrist: He never denied, just changed his descriptive words of his involvement that day.

Gough: Did he ever deny cutting in front of #AhmaudArbery? Seacrist: No he was factually correct in his movements. G: 1st time u did re-enactment u had so much trouble w/Bryan you had to re-do? S: Wouldn't say trouble. It'd been 2.5 months; he needed 2 refresh memory b4 recording.

Gough: Would you call it a Mulligan? Seacrist: I would not. You're leading Mr. Bryan, are you not? You're the director of this little movie! S: No sir. Going back after refresh, referencing during video. Getting it on record that this is what he'd said.

Gough: Bryan has brought police into his truck. You're aware Minshew is sitting in there when he gets first download of video. You could've let Bryan drive and show you himself? Seacrist: That's an option.

So when you say 'Something like this?', that's not Mr. Bryan operating the vehicle that's you? Seacrist: At his direction, yes. Show me where he tells you how to operate the vehicle. S: The whole page.

Seacrist reads: Here at the top Bryan states, I'm staying on this side of the road. I'm ahead of him. I'm not going that fast. There was speed. Go on down to Line 10 he says, I speed up. Says they almost met at the tree. I sped up a good bit...kind of left him

Seacrist: Bryan is directing this travel the whole way. Talking about speed and direction thru whole process. I ask for clarification--is what I'm doing the same as what he did on Feb. 23? I want him to say yes or no.

Gough: This is all while people are walking around, while there's media craziness? Seacrist: We've seen the video. Not a lot of people. Gough: You've already testified Mr. Bryan's concerned for his safety. JS: Yes. KG: Mr. Bryan's trying to please you?

Gough: Was Mr. Bryan telling you what you wanted to hear? Seacrist: No. He had a hard time remembering as you pointed out in your cross today. Someone trying to please me would answer whatever way I'd be trying to get them to answer; he's trying to recall.

Gough: You're helping him along? Seacrist: No. I'm asking questions, which is my job. Gough: But when you have both statements, if he can't recall, he's looking to you to fill the gaps.

Seacrist also looks at jury sometimes as he answers questions. Gough asked if he recalls Bryan saying he might've been in Drive by the time #AhmaudArbery reached for the door. Seacrist says Bryan was not sure of exact moment b/c it happened quickly.

Seacrist2.jpg

Gough: And Mr. Bryan added what you didn't say today, "I wasn't looking back there at him." Seacrist: Correct, right before he continued to chase #AhmaudArbery down Holmes Rd.

Seacrist says at that time, he wasn't thinking about aggravated assault or trying to mislead Roddie Bryan. The exact angle of how he backed up--he didn't correct me; that's the best representation of what happened that day.

Gough: Was Bryan aware of Mr. Albenze's presence out there? That would explain why #AhmaudArbery turned that way up the other street? State: Objection.

IDK What this was all about--couldn't hear any of it. We went back into another recess though

Judge2.jpg

Judge brings in #AhmaudArbery shooting case jurors. Tells them we're breaking for the weekend. Reminds them to avoid coverage and conversations about this. They all nod. "Thank you for the week. Thank you for participating with us. I appreciate your time and attention."

Judge3.jpg

Court's in recess until 9:00 Monday [11/15/21] morning. Thanks for following the happenings along with me!

There was one woman who was falling asleep. Others seemed to be taking hardly any notes during that cross-exam.

link: https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

I have no idea what the outcome of this trial will be, but I hope the defendants are found guilty of something.

I also hope that this case sets a precedent for changing some laws--specifically those that allow citizens' arrests.

I also hope states and communities will take a look at enacting stricter fines for entering construction sites.

At so many points in this story, it could have gone the other way--if things had been different. I'm mostly sorry for the mother who lost her child, and I think racism was involved--if not directly--then it played a role in the men's attitudes and willingness to think Ahmaud must have committed a crime worthy of a citizen's arrest.

This case is sad on so many fronts.

for Friday, Nov. 12th - a long one! :)

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
13h
Kevin Gough is beginning his cross-exam of GBI ASAC Seacrist: You called Roddie Bryan? Seacrist: I knocked on his door. Gough: It wasn't Mr. Bryan looking for the spotlight? You needed his cooperation? Seacrist: I desired it.

View attachment 321815

Gough: You can't compel people to talk to you because you're not a federal agent, you're a GBI agent, so people talk voluntarily? Seacrist: Correct.

Gough repeatedly looks at jury box as he asks Seacrist wasn't his "first mission" to secure Roddie Bryan's cellphone/video. A lot of controversy about the video? Seacrist: I don't know controversy, people didn't like what the video showed.

View attachment 321816

Seacrist says yes, there was a need for the video. Gough points out GBI didn't know of Bryan's home security videos until Bryan told him. On May 11 did you tell Bryan the past week had probably been 1 of the worst of his life? And he agreed w/you? Yes, sir.

Gough: The GBI had arrested the McMichaels, your boss had given a press conference & you were there, & there was a press release. And speaking with Mr. Bryan what u describe as media & other entities were blowing situation up more. State objects--relevance.

Gough: The media craze only got worse in days to follow? Seacrist: The media was present. Gough: And you describe week as difficult b/c more media were involved? Seacrist: Is that a quote? Are you asking me a question?

Gough refers to a May '21 convo (or testimony, I believe he said: Does Seacrist recall Bryan & his fiancee telling you they were concerned for personal safety? Do you recall Amy saying she pulled a letter from her mailbox... State objects, relevance.

Gough: Did Bryan ask you do help protect him? Seacrist: I don't recall that directly. There were concerns about his safety, convos about it. Would you describe Bryan as scared? Seacrist: Because of situation in neighborhood yes.

On the May 11 transcript, Gough highlights portion where Seacrist told Bryan he appreciated him calling back and saying he wanted to talk, and coming in. "At this point, you're a witness."

View attachment 321817

Gough: GCPD IDed him as a witness? Seacrist: I don't recall. KG: Where in this document does it tell Bryan what he's under investigation for? S: It doesn't. I'll add though that he knew what the investigation was about, as the whole thing was around #AhmaudArbery and his death.

Gough, continuing to look at jury frequently as he questions Seacrist: Maybe I slept through this part but where was the Miranda form on this occasion? Seacrist: He wasn't under arrest. That's only for someone questioned in custody. At no time was he.

Seacrist points out Bryan was told he was free to leave any time and his lawyer was there. Gough says but you could've Mirandized him. Seacrist says at that point there was no need. There's no cookie-cutter way to do this.

Seacrist says the point is to always get information needed to lead you to whether charges should be made. Gough: But there was a specific reason you didn't Mirandize him? Seacrist: Correct, because he was not in custody.

Gough: You never discussed citizen's arrest? Seacrist: Neither of us did. KG: Other concepts like self-defense? S: Don't recall that. Have a reference? Gough: No, you don't recall? We'll circle back.

Gough: Did you not earlier today discuss Bryan taking defensive action to pull away from Mr. #AhmaudArbery when he felt Arbery was trying to get into his truck? Seacrist: Not in relation to self-defense but in relation to the series of events.

Gough: There was concern by Mr. Bryan as to your intentions? Refers to transcript where interview stops. Seacrist tells jury Gough reminded Bryan he could pause at any point so they could confer.

Seacrist says That's what Gough is referring to here. State objects--bench. Seacrist reads how he & Gough discuss they'll step out. Returning, Seacrist told Bryan, I know not everyone talks to police every day & it's stressful, but we're gonna be OK here.

View attachment 321818

Seacrist: Nothing has changed; when we're done here, you're going home. Gough: Because he's just a witness. Seacrist: Our convo was bout his nervousness talking to police and you were speaking for your client as to his inability to recall events.

Gough: Because it's an issue dealing with him that day. Seacrist: I don't remember it being as much as an issue for him as it was for you.

View attachment 321819

Gough: You'd interviewed him twice for hours, you went to his house, you got fingerprints, you talked to him. Seacrist: After I promised you I wouldn't ask about case b/c you weren't there.

Gough: You'd built trust. Seacrist: As I do with all my witnesses, even subjects...to the point I've gotten texts from people I've arrested because I treated them fairly.

Seacrist didn't Bryan if he had any learning disabilities. Gough: Bryan never denied angling his vehicle in front of Mr. #AhmaudArbery? S: He didn't deny angling his vehicle in that direction. His words changed drastically between GCPD interview and intvw w/ me

Gough: Did I ask you whether he changed his wording, or did I ask you whether he denied angling his vehicle?

Gough: He never denied angling his vehicle in front of #AhmaudArbery? Seacrist: He never denied, just changed his descriptive words of his involvement that day.

Gough: Did he ever deny cutting in front of #AhmaudArbery? Seacrist: No he was factually correct in his movements. G: 1st time u did re-enactment u had so much trouble w/Bryan you had to re-do? S: Wouldn't say trouble. It'd been 2.5 months; he needed 2 refresh memory b4 recording.

Gough: Would you call it a Mulligan? Seacrist: I would not. You're leading Mr. Bryan, are you not? You're the director of this little movie! S: No sir. Going back after refresh, referencing during video. Getting it on record that this is what he'd said.

Gough: Bryan has brought police into his truck. You're aware Minshew is sitting in there when he gets first download of video. You could've let Bryan drive and show you himself? Seacrist: That's an option.

So when you say 'Something like this?', that's not Mr. Bryan operating the vehicle that's you? Seacrist: At his direction, yes. Show me where he tells you how to operate the vehicle. S: The whole page.

Seacrist reads: Here at the top Bryan states, I'm staying on this side of the road. I'm ahead of him. I'm not going that fast. There was speed. Go on down to Line 10 he says, I speed up. Says they almost met at the tree. I sped up a good bit...kind of left him

Seacrist: Bryan is directing this travel the whole way. Talking about speed and direction thru whole process. I ask for clarification--is what I'm doing the same as what he did on Feb. 23? I want him to say yes or no.

Gough: This is all while people are walking around, while there's media craziness? Seacrist: We've seen the video. Not a lot of people. Gough: You've already testified Mr. Bryan's concerned for his safety. JS: Yes. KG: Mr. Bryan's trying to please you?

Gough: Was Mr. Bryan telling you what you wanted to hear? Seacrist: No. He had a hard time remembering as you pointed out in your cross today. Someone trying to please me would answer whatever way I'd be trying to get them to answer; he's trying to recall.

Gough: You're helping him along? Seacrist: No. I'm asking questions, which is my job. Gough: But when you have both statements, if he can't recall, he's looking to you to fill the gaps.

Seacrist also looks at jury sometimes as he answers questions. Gough asked if he recalls Bryan saying he might've been in Drive by the time #AhmaudArbery reached for the door. Seacrist says Bryan was not sure of exact moment b/c it happened quickly.

View attachment 321820

Gough: And Mr. Bryan added what you didn't say today, "I wasn't looking back there at him." Seacrist: Correct, right before he continued to chase #AhmaudArbery down Holmes Rd.

Seacrist says at that time, he wasn't thinking about aggravated assault or trying to mislead Roddie Bryan. The exact angle of how he backed up--he didn't correct me; that's the best representation of what happened that day.

Gough: Was Bryan aware of Mr. Albenze's presence out there? That would explain why #AhmaudArbery turned that way up the other street? State: Objection.

IDK What this was all about--couldn't hear any of it. We went back into another recess though

View attachment 321821

Judge brings in #AhmaudArbery shooting case jurors. Tells them we're breaking for the weekend. Reminds them to avoid coverage and conversations about this. They all nod. "Thank you for the week. Thank you for participating with us. I appreciate your time and attention."

View attachment 321822

Court's in recess until 9:00 Monday [11/15/21] morning. Thanks for following the happenings along with me!

There was one woman who was falling asleep. Others seemed to be taking hardly any notes during that cross-exam.

link: https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

These cross exams by the defense are way too long - as the defense tries to prove their clients were justified in shooting Mr. Arbery and killing him. I am sure the jurors are bored to death and not surprised they probably stopped taking notes at some point and some may fall asleep. Mr. Gough is the worst.

After Mr. Gough said he didn't want black pastors in the courtroom- so this coming week, on one of those days, Jessee Jackson and some other black pastors will be visiting the courtroom and you can be sure Mr. Gough will probably ask for a mistrial. Wait for i!

I'm surprised that Roddie Bryan agreed to be interviewed by GBI so l0ng after the the killing of AA. Per the testimony, attorney Gough was present for the questioning -- usually people are told not to talk to LE if there is any risk of being charged. In questioning GBI agent Seacrist, Gough was basically complaining that Seacrist didn't read Bryan his Miranda rights. Odd -- Gough would have almost certainly advised his own client of his right not to talk to LE. JMO.

These cross exams by the defense are way too long - as the defense tries to prove their clients were justified in shooting Mr. Arbery and killing him. I am sure the jurors are bored to death and not surprised they probably stopped taking notes at some point and some may fall asleep. Mr. Gough is the worst.
I know he has to defend his client to the best of his ability, but there is no defense for the shooting of AA. I only hope after these men are convicted, AA's family can start the long process of healing.

I know he has to defend his client to the best of his ability, but there is no defense for the shooting of AA. I only hope after these men are convicted, AA's family can start the long process of healing.

9:42 a.m.: Sgt. Nohilly: Says he asked Greg "did this guy just break into a house today?"

Greg: "That's just it. I just don't know. I don't know. He might of gone in somebody's house."

Well that says alot. There is no defense to go after him at all, especially to go after him with 2 loaded firearms.

As you say:

"no defense for the shooting of AA"

I'm surprised that Roddie Bryan agreed to be interviewed by GBI so l0ng after the the killing of AA. Per the testimony, attorney Gough was present for the questioning -- usually people are told not to talk to LE if there is any risk of being charged. In questioning GBI agent Seacrist, Gough was basically complaining that Seacrist didn't read Bryan his Miranda rights. Odd -- Gough would have almost certainly advised his own client of his right not to talk to LE. JMO.

All three of these men didn't think they would be charged b/c everybody thought like them. They almost weren't charged. Like Brianna Taylor, the investigation was progressing with no one having been charged. People got mad and, in this case, a DA had to be exposed in order for something to happen. Bryan talked because he didn't have a thought about any consequences. His lawyer was also not thinking he would be charged because, you know, it was this community, with this LEO organization, with the DA, and Mr. Arbery was a man who didn't belong in the neighborhood. JMHO.

All three of these men didn't think they would be charged b/c everybody thought like them. They almost weren't charged. Like Brianna Taylor, the investigation was progressing with no one having been charged. People got mad and, in this case, a DA had to be exposed in order for something to happen. Bryan talked because he didn't have a thought about any consequences. His lawyer was also not thinking he would be charged because, you know, it was this community, with this LEO organization, with the DA, and Mr. Arbery was a man who didn't belong in the neighborhood. JMHO.

What were they thinking was going to happen when GBI got involved? Per this article, within 36 hours of GBI finally becoming involved, GBI found probable cause to arrest the McMichaels and the McMichaels were arrested on May 7, 2020.
GBI says 'more than enough probable cause' after two arrests made in Ahmaud Arbery murder investigation

My understanding is that Bryan was interviewed on May 11 and May 13, 2020 -- a few days after the McMichael arrests. Once the McMichaels were arrested I think the risk of a possible arrest couldn't be ignored. JMO.

What were they thinking was going to happen when GBI got involved? Per this article, within 36 hours of GBI finally becoming involved, GBI found probable cause to arrest the McMichaels and the McMichaels were arrested on May 7, 2020.
GBI says 'more than enough probable cause' after two arrests made in Ahmaud Arbery murder investigation

My understanding is that Bryan was interviewed on May 11 and May 13, 2020 -- a few days after the McMichael arrests. Once the McMichaels were arrested I think the risk of a possible arrest couldn't be ignored. JMO.
IMO they believed they had come up with a good defense, or a reasonable defense. I believe, in their minds, they feel they did nothing wrong so they had nothing to fear, even with GBI being involved. I've never known a trespassing charge to carry a death sentence, but they felt justified.

IMO they believed they had come up with a good defense, or a reasonable defense. I believe, in their minds, they feel they did nothing wrong so they had nothing to fear, even with GBI being involved. I've never known a trespassing charge to carry a death sentence, but they felt justified.

^^^^^And, to boot, Mr. Arbery was not trespassing. He was on the property but the property was not posted.

The DA (who now has her own criminal charges leveled) and the killer's father being former LE are significant to the hubris, culture and belief that they were untouchable. It doesn't take much to realize that LE treats former LE or current LE differently than others.

Someday we will all know what was said on that FB page that the community had. My guess is that the community was counting on "justice" being meted out by their former LE members and others who wouldn't stand for people who didn't "belong" in the area.

I hope justice is coming for Mr. Arbery and his family.

Last edited:
You are so right-- there is no defense for the shooting
of AA!!! absolutely none

There is no defense in shooting AA. Where this case takes a twisted turn is that the "posse" never thought for one second that AA would attempt to disarm them. I firmly believe they would not have shot him if he had stopped and waited for police. That being said once AA and Travis were in a struggle for the loaded gun, it became a fight to the death. These three men created a stage for disaster. Had AA successfully disarmed Travis, I wonder what might have happened. This case is tragic and also points to many things we need to change, in my opinion, as a society. It's not ok to enter obvious private property. It's not ok to yell "stop or I'll blow your head off". It's not ok to chase people in cars. It's not ok to get your neighbors all spun up about thefts at your home and then act like nothing was ever stolen. It's not ok for the media to edit and snip recorded footage. All just my opinion. These three will pay for what they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Tejas1821