GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a h*ll of a lot of stabbing and slashing and cutting and hitting and marking and turning over to do the same and whatever else.

Under personal effects they list her black shirt, and then they list blue denim jeans. I guess the rainbow photo isn't very good, but I always thought she had on black pants.

I wonder if they will release Bowie's autopsy.

I think that the results of Bowie's necropsy might offer interesting insight.

Perhaps the release of KJ's autopsy report, (and potentially the release of Bowie's necropsy report) could offer more leads, or an impetus for someone who knows something to come forward.

My heart goes out to Ms. Janness' family and friends.

I just found this too. The story covered tonight currently on WSBTV.com

Truly horrible. You can read the actual autopsy report here.

Autopsy Reveals Graphic Details of Atlanta Woman’s Murder in Piedmont Park

A couple things that stood out for me skimming it (it's very hard to read) are that she fought hard because her palms and fingers and wrist were all cut up.

Also, "No vaginal injuries are noted."

The TV segment on CBS referred to several posts ago, stated that Emma's dad said Katie had been sexually assaulted. This report does not state that, and in fact it says there were no vaginal injuries. So that's hard to fit together. Though LE did collect a rape kit.

Don't read this autopsy report if you are squeamish. It's really bad.

JMO

Last edited:
Also just speculation of course but from that autopsy report I get the distinct impression that her murderer hated Katie, or hated women. What they did to her was just so full of hatred. I can't stand that the person who did that is still out there. Whoever they are, they are on another level.

JMO

Oh dear.That was just brutal to read.Over 50 stab wounds and it sounds like her breasts were totally mutilated.I can't understand the FAT carved on her body.What purpose would that be by I assume calling her fat?It almost sounds like an insult by a teen boy or something like that.Such a strange case.No mention of a rape in this report but Emma's dad very recently claimed she was sexually assaulted.I'm just totally baffled.

It's hard to believe EC's dad on many things. IMO The autopsy says there were no vaginal injuries, so likely no rape.

Oh...just horrible reading the autopsy report. Most stab wounds were less than 3/4" deep. I'm just a little versed in medical lingo but it sounds more like cutting than stabbing for most wounds. She was attacked from behind at some point. Her neck was almost completely severed. Wounds to her hands & arms. Her eyelids, nose, upper lip, breasts & abdomen around hip level were mutilated. There was no injuries found that would suggest rape. The 'F' & 'A' wounds were close together while the 'T' located off to the side & all were very large in size. I have not heard of a more brutal murder since Ron Goldman & Nicole Brown. IMO never ever going to PP again.

One very weird thing in the report: there were 14 stab wounds on her BACK near and around a "multicolored tattoo". Did the killer turn her over afterwards to do this? And why? And how did the killer know this tattoo was there?

I would quote the actual wording, but I don't want to go back and read that report to find it. The way it was worded sounded like the killer was trying to destroy the tattoo.

JMO

One very weird thing in the report: there were 14 stab wounds on her BACK near and around a "multicolored tattoo". Did the killer turn her over afterwards to do this? And why? And how did the killer know this tattoo was there?

I would quote the actual wording, but I don't want to go back and read that report to find it. The way it was worded sounded like the killer was trying to destroy the tattoo.

JMO
Indeed.
MOO

I winder if this tidbit could be a "smoking gun".
MOO

As I was reading the report I saw that her panties were observed, during the autopsy, down by her knees. So I thought, oh no, she was raped. Then I read no vaginal injuries, and I thought, OK, so someone wanted it to LOOK like she was raped, but she wasn't. Very strange. JMO

Can you be more specific what was so telling in the 911 call? Or what gives you pause about the verbage?
There are signs of guilt per law enforcement in 911 calls. Guidelines if you will to examine the callers first moments at scene.
Can you be more specific what was so telling in the 911 call? Or what gives you pause about the verbage?
Analyzing 911 Homicide Calls for Indicators of Guilt or Innocence: An Exploratory Analysis | Office of Justice Programs

As I was reading the report I saw that her panties were observed, during the autopsy, down by her knees. So I thought, oh no, she was raped. Then I read no vaginal injuries, and I thought, OK, so someone wanted it to LOOK like she was raped, but she wasn't. Very strange. JMO
Either way, I believe it was sex-related. Maybe the killer was interrupted. Or he/she was exposing her for his/her own gratification. Or as some means of humiliation or shock value. Jmo.

Multiple stabbing in sex-related homicides - PubMed
For female victims, all homicides committed by 25 and more stab wounds were found to be sex-related. Statistically, jealousy was the most frequent motive for sex-related multiple stabbing homicides.

JMO
I am curious, from the locals here, just how much light is in the actually spot she was found? Enough to see a tattoo, carve letters, and mutilate specific features?

There are street lamps along the park road, I know, but wasn't she off into the grass and trees a bit?

Or, just consider the fact that not all sexual assaults are vaginal rape. If a sexual assault kit was collected, she could have had semen elsewhere on her body or even near her body/at the scene.

I definitely can imagine a scenario where family members were told by LE "we believe this motive related to sexual assault," and then family members repeat that in interviews without knowing the exact nature of the evidence that led LE to that conclusion.

I think it's also possible that family members knew her breasts and buttocks were mutilated and can't imagine any reason other than a sexual one that could have led to that.

Last edited:
I saw that too, but in the section before that, it says “Fingernail clippings and a sexual assault kit are obtained before the decedent is completely disrobed.” I was thinking that’s why her pants and panties were around her knees.

Since we don't know who killed Katie or why, everything is just speculation. But I suspect that the the dog was killed simply because he might have interfered with the attack on Katie. But if the attack was personal to Katie, anyone with that much hatred for her, may well have wanted to harm the dog simply because it was hers. Unfortunately, people can be pretty sick and cruel.

In the strangulation murder of Caroline Crouch by her husband, Babis Anagnostopoulos, I would speculate he hung her dog from the bannister in their home because his wife loved the dog, but also it ultimately led some people to believe his story of a home invasion by crazed foriegn killers/burglars. Caroline's beloved dog was killed for shock value, to paint a picture of fighting off the strange, bad men. Jmo.
But there was no foriegn DNA from outside the family in the home, on Caroline, her dog, or the rope used to hang him.
Babis is an example of how "sick and cruel" people can be.

I wondered if maybe the killer subdued or hung the dog on the tree branch that was broken and removed from the scene. I hate even thinking that but I don’t know how else the dog would have been subdued if the killer wasn’t able to injure him enough to slow him down.
In the strangulation murder of Caroline Crouch by her husband, Babis Anagnostopoulos, I would speculate he hung her dog from the bannister in their home because his wife loved the dog, but also it ultimately led some people to believe his story of a home invasion by crazed foriegn killers/burglars. Caroline's beloved dog was killed for shock value, to paint a picture of fighting off the strange, bad men. Jmo.
But there was no foriegn DNA from outside the family in the home, on Caroline, her dog, or the rope used to hang him.
Babis is an example of how "sick and cruel" people can be.

I wondered if maybe the killer subdued or hung the dog on the tree branch that was broken and removed from the scene. I hate even thinking that but I don’t know how else the dog would have been subdued if the killer wasn’t able to injure him enough to slow him down.
They reported Bowie was stabbed to death, I don't even want to write down the way this can incapacitate a living being instantly.

The autopsy was tough to read. This really seemed to be a prolonged attack. With all those people in and out the park - nobody saw or heard anything? I find that hard to believe. Just doing some initial Google searching on carving words into bodies and it seems like quite a good amount of female offenders. This seems very personal. Someone wanted to humiliate KJ, wanted to hurt her wife, or was jealous/rejected. I don't feel like there is a threat to the public because she was targeted. That's all MOO. I'm just in shock at the level of hatred in this attack. I hope she gets justice and fast, for her family and the communities sake.

There are signs of guilt per law enforcement in 911 calls. Guidelines if you will to examine the callers first moments at scene.

Analyzing 911 Homicide Calls for Indicators of Guilt or Innocence: An Exploratory Analysis | Office of Justice Programs
Unfortunately, I can only read the abstract, I am not able to open the study, maybe because I'm in another country, Idk.
The abstract doesn't really tell me anything.
Can you share the key points you are referring to from the study on how guilt or innocence is indicated due to the 911 call in this particular case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member