PA - Gretchen Harrington, 8, found murdered, Marple Twp, 15 Aug 1975 *arrest in 2023*

Maybe she did. Which begs the question: Did the police question everyone at the church? Did all the volunteers show up that day? Were any late, acting strangely/paranoid?

It has always bothered me that Gretchen walked WITH her siblings every day to the church, early in the morning, EXCEPT that morning. If a random SO was stalking, I would think he'd place her on low priority based on the fact that she was never alone...it would have been both a chore and a liability to target someone with siblings.

Who knew in advance she'd be walking alone that morning? What parent picked her up "on their way to work" that she knew? Did she actually make it to the church parking lot before a church employee gave into temptation?

In a weird way this reminds me of that axe murder that took place in Texas back in the 80s I think. A church volunteer for Sunday school leaves Bible school to pick up another child's swimsuit from her mom because they're planning a sleepover. Only things go batshit and she axes the mom to death, showers, then returns to bible school at the church. The mom was acquitted of axing her to pieces.

What specifically reminds me, though, is the Bible school/Summer bible camp theme. That there are so many volunteers and parents involved in such a production, people coming in and out, people standing in for others on certain days, etc -- particularly during a time when you could have anyone filling in for you for having anyone pick your kid up with no one batting an eye.

Wonder if LE scoured the church and staff at length.

How on earth did an axe murderer get acquitted when they did the crime?

I was about 26 years,old and remember seeing a poster. This unsolved murder and the boy in the box mystery has intrigued me all these years. August 15 1975 is significant in that it is a Holy day of obligation in the Catholic Religion so a Mass was probably either going on or about to go on at Pius X that day. Maybe 9 AM, 10 AM or 10:15 AM traffic may very well have been more active that day then other days of week. Unfortunately a man I would have trusted back then would have been a priest particularly if in garb?
Norm

Vi-CAP-Davis-10-26-2020.png

Per the FBI:

Davis primarily resided in Pennsylvania in the early 1960s; South Dakota (Lead, Deadwood, and Rapid City) in the late 1960s; Bath, NY in the late 1960s – late 1970s; North Little Rock, AR, in the late 1970s – late 1980s; and Cabot, AR, from the late 1980s until his death in 2012.

Davis also traveled extensively across the country to include, but not limited to: Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming. Davis held various jobs, to include working as a missionary on the Sioux Reservation in the early 1960s; working in the mines in South Dakota in the late 1960s; as a security guard at a winery/bar in Bath, NY, in the mid-1970s; driving a school bus in Alaska in late 1974/early 1975; as a security guard at the Arkansas School for the Deaf and Blind in the 1970s or 1980s; and as a truck driver in the early 2000s. Davis also volunteered at Big Brothers/Big Sisters in Arkansas in the late 1970s or 1980s. Investigators are looking for similar cases Davis may be responsible for committing"

Seems like he didnt live in the area at the time, also per the FBI, his DNA has been submitted to CODIS on a National level.

Vi-CAP-Davis-10-26-2020.png

Per the FBI:

Davis primarily resided in Pennsylvania in the early 1960s; South Dakota (Lead, Deadwood, and Rapid City) in the late 1960s; Bath, NY in the late 1960s – late 1970s; North Little Rock, AR, in the late 1970s – late 1980s; and Cabot, AR, from the late 1980s until his death in 2012.

Davis also traveled extensively across the country to include, but not limited to: Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming. Davis held various jobs, to include working as a missionary on the Sioux Reservation in the early 1960s; working in the mines in South Dakota in the late 1960s; as a security guard at a winery/bar in Bath, NY, in the mid-1970s; driving a school bus in Alaska in late 1974/early 1975; as a security guard at the Arkansas School for the Deaf and Blind in the 1970s or 1980s; and as a truck driver in the early 2000s. Davis also volunteered at Big Brothers/Big Sisters in Arkansas in the late 1970s or 1980s. Investigators are looking for similar cases Davis may be responsible for committing"

Seems like he didnt live in the area at the time, also per the FBI, his DNA has been submitted to CODIS on a National level.

Thing about Davis that I've been banging my head over is just how frustratingly mobile this guy was and how tough it is putting him any particular place at a given time, it seems. He's reportedly in Bath, NY for the attempted abduction in 1973 (don't know the exact date), and was in Montana on February 5th, 1974 for the abduction and murder of 5 year old Siobhan McGuinness. As well, I'm not finding any info about where in PA he lived, or worked, or traveled through.

I guess he could be put on the table, as far as Persons of Interest go, but I think closer to the edge than dead center.

Thing about Davis that I've been banging my head over is just how frustratingly mobile this guy was and how tough it is putting him any particular place at a given time, it seems. He's reportedly in Bath, NY for the attempted abduction in 1973 (don't know the exact date), and was in Montana on February 5th, 1974 for the abduction and murder of 5 year old Siobhan McGuinness. As well, I'm not finding any info about where in PA he lived, or worked, or traveled through.

I guess he could be put on the table, as far as Persons of Interest go, but I think closer to the edge than dead center.

See that's the issue with older cases, in the 60's through the 90's , just the way things were favored these transient killers, we discovered, some 500 unsolved murders the FBI, was later able to attribute to long haul truck drivers, we began to see people in these nomadic lifestyles, come to the forefront, look at Sam Little for instance .

Also in the era in question LE wasn't as willing to share or ask for help as they are now, that was an ongoing issue we still see today.

Child killers, are notoriously transient as it is, they usually move a minimum of 4 times, in their lives, and usually within 1 year prior to their crimes.

Per Davis's obituary he was born in Galeton Pa, so it wouldnt be a stretch to say its possible he stayed in that area Galeton is in the Northern part of the state in Potter county a very rural area, mostly game land area

Heres a clip from his obituary :

Richard William Davis

Cabot, AR, 1941 - 2012

"Richard William Davis, 70, of Cabot, passed away Friday, Aug. 24, 2012. He was born Nov. 7, 1941 in Galeton, Pa. to the late Ray and Lettie Shelly Davis. He was a loving husband, father and grandfather and will be dearly missed. He enjoyed the outdoors and loved caring for animals.
Richard was a born again Christian who believed in the word of faith and he was ready to be with Jesus. He worked many years in Arkansas as a truck driver. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his son, Larry Davis."

Note the truck driver reference

See that's the issue with older cases, in the 60's through the 90's , just the way things were favored these transient killers, we discovered, some 500 unsolved murders the FBI, was later able to attribute to long haul truck drivers, we began to see people in these nomadic lifestyles, come to the forefront, look at Sam Little for instance .

Also in the era in question LE wasn't as willing to share or ask for help as they are now, that was an ongoing issue we still see today.

Child killers, are notoriously transient as it is, they usually move a minimum of 4 times, in their lives, and usually within 1 year prior to their crimes.

Per Davis's obituary he was born in Galeton Pa, so it wouldnt be a stretch to say its possible he stayed in that area Galeton is in the Northern part of the state in Potter county a very rural area, mostly game land area

Heres a clip from his obituary :

Richard William Davis

Cabot, AR, 1941 - 2012

"Richard William Davis, 70, of Cabot, passed away Friday, Aug. 24, 2012. He was born Nov. 7, 1941 in Galeton, Pa. to the late Ray and Lettie Shelly Davis. He was a loving husband, father and grandfather and will be dearly missed. He enjoyed the outdoors and loved caring for animals.
Richard was a born again Christian who believed in the word of faith and he was ready to be with Jesus. He worked many years in Arkansas as a truck driver. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his son, Larry Davis."

Note the truck driver reference

That's fascinating. Thank you! Hadn't heard that bit about child killers being mostly transient, but that definitely makes sense. Law Enforcement not talking to each other, definitely hear you there. I'd seen that he drove a truck, on top of just being mobile as hell.

Galeton, huh. I just looked up Potter County, and damn. Nothing there. Right next to Tioga County, which, ya know. Still. Nothing there. Can definitely pick up on this guy being used to driving long distances.

All that said, do you think he could be a possibility for this case?

That's fascinating. Thank you! Hadn't heard that bit about child killers being mostly transient, but that definitely makes sense. Law Enforcement not talking to each other, definitely hear you there. I'd seen that he drove a truck, on top of just being mobile as hell.

Galeton, huh. I just looked up Potter County, and damn. Nothing there. Right next to Tioga County, which, ya know. Still. Nothing there. Can definitely pick up on this guy being used to driving long distances.

All that said, do you think he could be a possibility for this case?

Its always possible, but again serial killings are very rare, however a sexual killer of a child is more apt to become a serial offender than any other type .

Delaware county is right outside Philadelphia, I know the area pretty well, I did read a newspaper article on another case, that cites Gretchens murder , that states however that there were a series of abductions in and around that time , though I cant find any other information on those .

img.jpg

With little to no info its impossible to link cases.

Its always possible, but again serial killings are very rare, however a sexual killer of a child is more apt to become a serial offender than any other type .

Delaware county is right outside Philadelphia, I know the area pretty well, I did read a newspaper article on another case, that cites Gretchens murder , that states however that there were a series of abductions in and around that time , though I cant find any other information on those .

img.jpg

With little to no info its impossible to link cases.

I've been painstakingly trying to compile all the PA missing persons cases on The Charley Project by geography and time, and there definitely seems to be some similar cases around that time and place. I'm not the best with computers, but I'll try to upload or do something with that info in a bit. I just have some trouble locating unsolved murders, as there's no real database for that.

I've been painstakingly trying to compile all the PA missing persons cases on The Charley Project by geography and time, and there definitely seems to be some similar cases around that time and place. I'm not the best with computers, but I'll try to upload or do something with that info in a bit. I just have some trouble locating unsolved murders, as there's no real database for that.

The issue there is without actual case info theres absolutely no way to link cases, it would all be speculative unless theres something obvious.

The issue there is without actual case info theres absolutely no way to link cases, it would all be speculative unless theres something obvious.

Yeah, it's *very* rudimentary, to describe it in patronizingly generous terms. But back on the Philly-area kidnappings and disappearances, I believe I saw a list in another thread discussing a few of them with names and dates. I'll try to track it down, if that would be of any interest

Yeah, it's *very* rudimentary, to describe it in patronizingly generous terms. But back on the Philly-area kidnappings and disappearances, I believe I saw a list in another thread discussing a few of them with names and dates. I'll try to track it down, if that would be of any interest

i would look at it but again without actual case info theres not much to go on

Stumbled across this. Anyone have a guess?

Clip of an article from Philadelphia Inquirer, 28 June 1984. A state trooper claims to have a prime suspect, though a Marple township detective is later quoted as being skeptical.

:: Edited to include citation/source ::

Attachments

• Harrington Suspect.jpg
    Harrington Suspect.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Stumbled across this. Anyone have a guess?

Clip of an article from Philadelphia Inquirer, 28 June 1984. A state trooper claims to have a prime suspect, though a Marple township detective is later quoted as being skeptical.

:: Edited to include citation/source
they are referring to Richard Bailey, who commited numerous sexual assaults on children, one of which was in 1973 in Springfield Pa, just a few short miles from Broomall Pa...he once told the state police during a prison interview regarding Gretchen Harrington, sometime in the 2000's "that sounds like me but i dont remember" ...he died in prison some years back...there was another individual who gave rambling statements to police about see the now infamous green pick up, and seeing gretchen looking at the truck, he was given several lie detectors and interviewed 3 times , because in the middle interview he identified richard baikey from a lineup of pictures, but in the first interview, and in the third interview, he never mentioned that he saw the drivers face...then he went on another rambling talk off about how he saw richard bailey many times prior including at the 69th St terminal, a bar, and some other place lol...i could go on, if u wish...there is more

in the gretchen harrington case, there is a high probability it was Richard Bailey, who had assaulted other children, one of which was in springfield pa in 1973...however, there was an anonymous call that came in from a women who said she saw two men, abduct gretchen...which is interesting because Karl Henry williams put himself at the crime scene (he was the guy who claimed he saw the green pickup truck with no tailgate) and he made rambling statements about what he saw, then later he identified Richard Bailey from a photo lineup, then even later failed to disclose this fact to the Marple police, who later found out he told state police he saw the guy and identified him from a photo lineup...in one interview he told police all the times he saw richard bailey prior, in upper darby and other places lol..Karl Henry Williams died in 2001, Richard Bailey in 2013....

there were two main persons of interest in the gretchen harrington case: convicted child rapist Richard Bailey and a witness who put himself at the scene, Karl Henry Williams...where it gets interesting is an anonymous call came into police from a woman who claimed she saw two men abduct gretchen harrington...

child rapist Richard Bailey and a witness who put himself at the scene, Karl Henry Williams would clearly be the persons of interest in the Gretchen Harrington case...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back