IA IA - Kimberly Doss, 16, Davenport, 27 Sept 1982

I see the obvious differences, but does anyone else notice quite a few similarities between Kimberly and El Dorado Jane Doe?

What I'm not understanding is this: if she really vanished in March of 1980, where did the story of her taking a bus to visit her father in Iowa in September of 1982 come from? Because if I'm the family of a missing young teen girl, I'm going to want LE to concentrate on the actual last area she was known to be. So where was she last seen? Texas or Iowa? And if Iowa, who confirmed that sighting of her after she arrived on the bus? I'm not so sure that Kimberly ever left Texas!

This will be a difficult case to solve, for a number of reasons. First and foremost, she disappeared upwards of 40 years ago. That is a very long time. I think, based on the information available, that Kimberly had a troubled life and she ran away often. I think her family went long periods of time without actually knowing where she was or who she was staying with. I think Kimberly's sister is the one who has posted that Kimberly was actually last seen in 1980 instead of 1982. And I get the feeling she is probably right. So...my question again is, who reported that Kimberly left to visit her father in 1982? And why? My suspicious mind wonders if someone wanted LE to believe that she disappeared from somewhere other than Texas.

It would be super helpful if everyone involved in this case could get together and pinpoint as best as possible when and from where Kimberly actually went missing. Maybe then some progress could be made, and other potential sightings/Jane Does ruled in/out.

As for the Hollywood sighting, if she was working as a prostitute, was she never arrested? No records of her under her alias? Also, how did the people that claim to have come in contact with her know her alias? She told them? I have doubts that the Kimberly they met is actually Kimberly Doss, but I guess as of right now it can't be ruled out for sure.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2919

I have so many questions about this case:

1. Why did she choose to see her dad at this time-was it a cover up for meeting someone else?
2. If she was traveling to Texas, how and why did she end up in CA as a prostitute? Did she meet the wrong person along the way and get forced into human trafficking?
3. Where she vanished between Iowa and TX, of course, and if she vanished w/in TX, was it along the Highway to Hell/Killing Field???
4. Did she have a history of running away?
5. Did her friends know anything?

I am really intersted in that lead about her working as a prostitute in CA. I think that is genuine, but girls who work under guys like that get moved around a lot...if she's been working under those circumstances since the 80s, I think she may have been harmed by now (through her work or drugs), or have a new life and indentity, not wanting to be found because of what she went thru. The biggest part of this is finding out where she vanished.
If she was traveling by Greyhound bus, wouldn't there be a trace of her travels?
I am about 15 years late for this discussion, but hopefully if someone else comes looking the correct information will be here. I have her case file from the Davenport PD and have spoken to her family. Here are the first hand Facts.
Kimberly was living with her mother in Houston Tx in 1980 and left there to go to her father’s in Davenport Iowa. Rather than go to her father’s on arrival she instead went to stay with a boyfriend and later another friend. On March 20 1980 she called her mother in Houston to say she was coming home and had a bus ticket that would route her through Chicago. She told her mother she had met a girl on the bus who lived in Chicago and she was planning to spend one night there before taking the bus the rest of the way to Houston. That is the last time anyone has seen or spoken to Kimberly and the last time she is confirmed to be alive. She was 14 years old at that time.
When Kimberly did not arrive in Houston her mother attempted to file a missing person report but was told she would have to file the report in Davenport as that was the last place Kimberly was known to be. Kimberly’s mother spent the next 2 years searching for her daughter. She sent letters to police departments, called hospitals, and traveled where ever she was able. She traveled to Chicago and the CPD we extremely helpful in her search there.
She finally opted to relocate to Davenport on 1982 in order to file a formal missing person report and focus her search there. On September 1, 1982 the official missing person report was file in Davenport Iowa as that was the last place she was physically seen. Kimberly was 16 years old at that time.
According to the DPD case file sometime in late 1982 or early 1983 a photograph was taken of a prostitute in CA using the alias Kimberly Kathleen Gardner who allegedly had similar features to Kimberly Doss. The features listed are gap front teeth, similar cheek structure, and widened of the nose. In 1985 an actual photo was finally found and sent to DPD. The report claims Kimberly’s mother positively identified the photo as Kimberly, however her family adamantly refutes that. Which I would whole heartedly agree with considering the fact that in December of 1991, Kimberly Kathleen Gardner herself came forward and stated she was not Kimberly Doss.
In December of 1991 DPD was contacted and informed that Kimberly Kathleen Gardner had been located, confirmed it was she who had been arrested in 1982 in CA. She stated she remember the incident well as “everyone was trying to accuse her of being Kimberly Doss” and she was not. Local PD confirmed this to be true and that the ID of Kimberly Sue Doss as Kimberly Kathleen Gardner was incorrect. Kimberly Sue Doss was still missing, circumstances unknown.
Any further sightings or identification Of KSD as KKD stem from that incident and are null.
Her mother described Kimberly as a free spirit, but she kept in touch, and she expected her to come home. She never has. There have been no LE confirmed sightings of Kimberly Sue Doss nor any contact with her mom or family since March 20 1980. Alive or Deceased. If you need more information on the true story go to her FB group. Kimberly Sue Doss is Still Missing, what really happened.

What I'm not understanding is this: if she really vanished in March of 1980, where did the story of her taking a bus to visit her father in Iowa in September of 1982 come from? Because if I'm the family of a missing young teen girl, I'm going to want LE to concentrate on the actual last area she was known to be. So where was she last seen? Texas or Iowa? And if Iowa, who confirmed that sighting of her after she arrived on the bus? I'm not so sure that Kimberly ever left Texas!

This will be a difficult case to solve, for a number of reasons. First and foremost, she disappeared upwards of 40 years ago. That is a very long time. I think, based on the information available, that Kimberly had a troubled life and she ran away often. I think her family went long periods of time without actually knowing where she was or who she was staying with. I think Kimberly's sister is the one who has posted that Kimberly was actually last seen in 1980 instead of 1982. And I get the feeling she is probably right. So...my question again is, who reported that Kimberly left to visit her father in 1982? And why? My suspicious mind wonders if someone wanted LE to believe that she disappeared from somewhere other than Texas.

It would be super helpful if everyone involved in this case could get together and pinpoint as best as possible when and from where Kimberly actually went missing. Maybe then some progress could be made, and other potential sightings/Jane Does ruled in/out.

As for the Hollywood sighting, if she was working as a prostitute, was she never arrested? No records of her under her alias? Also, how did the people that claim to have come in contact with her know her alias? She told them? I have doubts that the Kimberly they met is actually Kimberly Doss, but I guess as of right now it can't be ruled out for sure.
Her family can
Kimberly Sue Doss is Still Missing, What Really Happened on FB

I have the impression that the woman seen who had a resemblance to Kim was not her... I think she went with someone who promised to be good to her and then she was murdered... she has not been alive for many years. ...and I don't think she became a prostitute unless she couldn't live with someone or get some money in another way...I hope that at the time of her departure it wasn't that painful...
either way
rest in peace

I wonder what the girl she met on the bus who lived in Chicago might know? It seems the one night in Chicago ( probably less, if something bad happened) is where things may have gone wrong.

kimberly_sue_doss_1.jpg

Kimberly Sue Doss, age 16, Missing since 27 September 1982​

Completely different circumstances than what's listed in Charley Project, What really happened to Kimberly?
I can tell you what is known for sure, what is not true, and what has been so badly messed up, he family doesn’t have a chance to get any real help.

I have been working with her sister, and there is now an official FB page created by the family.
Kimberly Sue Doss Is Still Missing: What Really Happened

I have also obtained a copy of her case file from the Davenport Police Department. I will give the facts as they are known based on her sisters account and then DPD.

In early 1980 Kimberly left Houston Tx to go and Stay with her dad in Davenport Iowa. When she arrived she opted not to go to her father’s, but instead went to stay with her then boyfriend and his family. She was 14 years old. Her mother was in contact with her and aware this had been arranged. As kids often do she had a fight with the boyfriend and left to stay with other friends. In March 1980 she called her mother to say she was coming back to Houston and had a bus ticket. The ticket routed her from Davenport to Chicago and then on to Houston. She told her mother she had met a girl going to Chicago and she wanted to spend one night there and then continue home to Houston. That was the last time her mother or anyone saw or heard from her. March 1980 Davenport Iowa age 14
When she did not arrive in Houston and did not call, Her mother after contacting everyone in Davenport, tried to file a missing person Report in Houston, but they would not take it. Her mother spent the next 2 years searching everywhere she could, including traveling to Chicago where PD assisted her in searching there. She sent letters to LE all over the country. In 1982 she moved from Houston to Davenport and in Sept 1982 Filed a missing person report with DPD, who accepted it.
Kimberly would have been 16 years old and had not been seen or heard from in 2 years 6 months.
Timeline for Police files:
1983. Thursdays child, a small group run by one person not affiliated with any charity or LE agency reports to have seen Kimberly in Los Angeles using the alias Kimberly Kathleen Gardner and that she left with a known pimp. This becomes fact although it is never positively confirmed by LE.
1984. LAPD states they have an arrest photo of Kimberly Kathleen Gardner along with an arrest record they will send to DPD. DPD does not recieve a record and the photo is a non official snapshot. DPD declares Kimberly Kathleen Gardner to be an Alias used by Kimberly Sue Doss based on this photo and also now declared her to be an adult who does not want to come home. Kimberly would have been barely 18, the photo would have been taken when she was 16. She had not been seen or heard or officially identified by anyone since 1980.
1989: Kimberly is misidentified as a deceased female in sugarland Tx. When the correct ID is made, the deceased is discovered to have used Kimberly Doss as her alias.
1991: Kimberly Kathleen Gardner is located in Minnesota, she confirms she was the person in the photo and she remembers being questioned about being Kimberly Doss. She states at the time she told LE she was not.
Kimberley Sue Doss would have been 25 and had been missing 11 years.
None of this information was corrected in NamUs or in any official missing person Records. Her sister has been working tirelessly to get her information updated, corrected, and on track. The wrong information has mixed and grown and spread to the point that even other Law Enforcement agencies won’t look at potential comparisons for her.

Please go to her FB page and support her family by getting the wrong information down and the right information out.

Kimberley Sue Doss has not been seen or heard from since she called her mother in March of 1980. She was supposed to travel from Davenport Iowa to Houston Texas by bus with a one night stop in Chicago. It is unknown if she ever left Davenport, if she made it to Chicago. What is known is she was going home to her mother and never arrived.

I can tell you what is known for sure, what is not true, and what has been so badly messed up, he family doesn’t have a chance to get any real help.

I have been working with her sister, and there is now an official FB page created by the family.
Kimberly Sue Doss Is Still Missing: What Really Happened

I have also obtained a copy of her case file from the Davenport Police Department. I will give the facts as they are known based on her sisters account and then DPD.

In early 1980 Kimberly left Houston Tx to go and Stay with her dad in Davenport Iowa. When she arrived she opted not to go to her father’s, but instead went to stay with her then boyfriend and his family. She was 14 years old. Her mother was in contact with her and aware this had been arranged. As kids often do she had a fight with the boyfriend and left to stay with other friends. In March 1980 she called her mother to say she was coming back to Houston and had a bus ticket. The ticket routed her from Davenport to Chicago and then on to Houston. She told her mother she had met a girl going to Chicago and she wanted to spend one night there and then continue home to Houston. That was the last time her mother or anyone saw or heard from her. March 1980 Davenport Iowa age 14
When she did not arrive in Houston and did not call, Her mother after contacting everyone in Davenport, tried to file a missing person Report in Houston, but they would not take it. Her mother spent the next 2 years searching everywhere she could, including traveling to Chicago where PD assisted her in searching there. She sent letters to LE all over the country. In 1982 she moved from Houston to Davenport and in Sept 1982 Filed a missing person report with DPD, who accepted it.
Kimberly would have been 16 years old and had not been seen or heard from in 2 years 6 months.
Timeline for Police files:
1983. Thursdays child, a small group run by one person not affiliated with any charity or LE agency reports to have seen Kimberly in Los Angeles using the alias Kimberly Kathleen Gardner and that she left with a known pimp. This becomes fact although it is never positively confirmed by LE.
1984. LAPD states they have an arrest photo of Kimberly Kathleen Gardner along with an arrest record they will send to DPD. DPD does not recieve a record and the photo is a non official snapshot. DPD declares Kimberly Kathleen Gardner to be an Alias used by Kimberly Sue Doss based on this photo and also now declared her to be an adult who does not want to come home. Kimberly would have been barely 18, the photo would have been taken when she was 16. She had not been seen or heard or officially identified by anyone since 1980.
1989: Kimberly is misidentified as a deceased female in sugarland Tx. When the correct ID is made, the deceased is discovered to have used Kimberly Doss as her alias.
1991: Kimberly Kathleen Gardner is located in Minnesota, she confirms she was the person in the photo and she remembers being questioned about being Kimberly Doss. She states at the time she told LE she was not.
Kimberley Sue Doss would have been 25 and had been missing 11 years.
None of this information was corrected in NamUs or in any official missing person Records. Her sister has been working tirelessly to get her information updated, corrected, and on track. The wrong information has mixed and grown and spread to the point that even other Law Enforcement agencies won’t look at potential comparisons for her.

Please go to her FB page and support her family by getting the wrong information down and the right information out.

Kimberley Sue Doss has not been seen or heard from since she called her mother in March of 1980. She was supposed to travel from Davenport Iowa to Houston Texas by bus with a one night stop in Chicago. It is unknown if she ever left Davenport, if she made it to Chicago. What is known is she was going home to her mother and never arrived.
Thank you for providing a more clear timeline of Kimberly's disappearance. I think her actual date of disappearance should be March 1, 1980.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back