SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came here to post this. Buckle up y’all!! That receivership was the nail in these guys’ coffins. It’s about to blow wide open.

“The last cashier’s check written by Murdaugh to Smith, for $22,109, was the largest of all 17 checks in the October 2020-May 2021 time period that The State and Island Packet viewed. That check was purchased on May 28, just 10 days before Murdaugh’s wife, Maggie, and their son Paul were found shot to death on the grounds of the Murdaugh family home.”

“All but two of the checks were written in amounts of $8,000 and $9,000. Checks over $10,000 can attract scrutiny by bank officials and law enforcement. It’s not known what the money was used for. “

This is interesting and I hope a lead into who the killer(s) are. It just doesn’t make sense for an attorney to leave a trail of records like this if they were involved in something like murder but I’m ready to be surprised.

This is interesting and I hope a lead into who the killer(s) are. It just doesn’t make sense for an attorney to leave a trail of records like this if they were involved in something like murder but I’m ready to be surprised.

I agree it doesn’t “make sense”. However, it seems AM has left all kinds of trails that one would think do not make sense.

Try as he might to skirt around the radar and not leave trails, such as keeping those checks under that $10k threshold as an example.

Just a perspective ;)

Last edited:

Agreed. I don't think the checks where given so Curtis Smith could distribute them to charities. However, paying someone in checks for the murder of your wife and child seems like a stretch even as wild as this case has been. Interesting that this was the only one over the 10k threshold. Why? Just get sloppy?

Agreed. I don't think the checks where given so Curtis Smith could distribute them to charities. However, paying someone in checks for the murder of your wife and child seems like a stretch even as wild as this case has been. Interesting that this was the only one over the 10k threshold. Why? Just get sloppy?

It’s a scrambled puzzle. As @Tiff23fr points out above, AM seems to have made some mindless errors so maybe I’m expecting too much from someone with an advanced education? If by chance this money is tied to the murders, he may have well written “for murder job” in the memo blank.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a scrambled puzzle. As @Tiff23fr points out above, AM seems to have made some mindless errors so maybe I’m expecting too much from someone with an advanced education? If by chance this money is tied to the murders, he may have well written “for murder job” in the memo blank.
Obviously, at this point anything is possible. If I were going to throw my hat into only one ring, I'd say that MM & PM murders were a directly caused by AM dealings and ongoing issues. I personally don't think he personally murdered them but is the cause

Whether this money is related to the murder itself, no one can say. It does however paint Curtis is a very different light than the ignorant sap he'd have us believe he is.

If Alex does in fact have a solid alibi, then I like Curtis as either being a trigger-man, or a facilitator (he reached out to friends of his or something).

I think that when Alex realized law enforcement knew his shooting was staged, he threw Curtis under the bus to save himself.

He was backed into a corner, as it was the only way to deflect from what that event was, and what it meant in regards to him being a suspect in the double murders.

I say that because admitting that you were trying to draw LE away from you being a suspect, is pretty damn close to a confession.

So pointing the finger at Curtis would be a horrible move if he was involved in the killings of Maggie and Paul, but I don't think Alex had any choice in the matter.

This money is shady, it's just a matter of what precisely it means.

Obviously, at this point anything is possible. If I were going to throw my hat into only one ring, I'd say that MM & PM murders were a directly caused by AM dealings and ongoing issues. I personally don't think he personally murdered them but is the cause

Tho I haven’t lost the thoughts of PM being the target and the boat crash being involved, AMs dealings does make a lot of sense. It’s sounding more like he may have been been connected to some bad folks. I just for some reason don’t see Smith as the trigger.

Bland pointed out that these confessions of judgement, if accepted and approved by the court, would legally ensure that his brother and partner's claims would be paid before other claims, including that of the Satterfields or a wrongful death suit by Renee Beach, the Hampton County mother who lost her teenage daughter in a 2019 boat crash in which Murdaugh son, Paul, was allegedly responsible.

Since those confessions of judgement were signed, attorney John Lay, who was recently court-appointed as a co-receiver over Murdaugh's assets, has filed a motion to stay that judgment pending further consideration by the court.

Alex Murdaugh news: Former SC lawyer moves to have lawsuit dismissed

This is large:
A man accused of helping suspended lawyer Alex Murdaugh set up a botched suicide attempt was given $155,970 from Murdaugh in 17 cashier’s checks from October 2020 through May 2021, according to copies of those checks and other bank documents.

The $155,970 in cashier’s checks went to Curtis “Eddie” Smith, of Walterboro, and were cashed at various banks around Hampton and Beaufort counties, according to notations on checks viewed by The State and Island Packet newspapers. All but one of the cashier’s checks were endorsed with the signature, “Curtis E. Smith.”

Smith, 61, is the man arrested in September on charges of helping Murdaugh stage a suicide so Murdaugh’s son, Buster, could collect $10 million on a life insurance company. The alleged plot failed, and Murdaugh — in addition to Smith — now faces criminal charges in that Sept. 4 incident.

The cashier’s checks are significant because they appear to show a financial relationship between the two men that began months before the botched suicide attempt. The checks alone do not explain why Murdaugh gave them to Smith nor what Smith did with the money.

The cashier’s checks represent only eight months’ worth of payments from one account. Murdaugh had more than one checking account, according to sources familiar with his financial situation.

A cashier’s check is a check bought from a bank by one person made out to another person in an amount to be redeemed to cash. It is different from a personal check in that the money in a cashier’s check is guaranteed by the bank.

previous interviews with the media, Smith’s lawyers denied he got any money from Murdaugh but acknowledged Smith was a longstanding friend and associate of Murdaugh’s.

In an Oct. 14 television interview with NBC’s Craig Melvin, Jonny McCoy, a Smith attorney, denied that Smith ever received any significant money from Murdaugh.

<snip>

A $9,085 Bank of America cashier’s check from Alex Murdaugh to Curtis Smith and endorsed by Smith’s signature, dated as Oct. 22, 2020. This check is one of 17 obtained by the State and Island Packet newspapers totaling to $155,970 between October 2020 to May 2021 and is the first indication of a financial relationship between the two men that began months before the alleged staged murder attempt. NOTE: The yellow arrows were added to the check by reporters and were not part of the original copies. JOHN MONK
“Nobody has questioned us or asked us about any checks from Mr. Murdaugh,” Bouchette said. “This is the first we’re hearing about it. Given the background of this case, I really find any check or other financial instrument or legal instrument that comes from Mr. Murdaugh to be highly suspect.”

A reporter emailed questions to Smith’s lawyers Wednesday morning asking why Smith received these checks and what he did with the money. On a call Wednesday evening, the lawyers said they had not yet spoken with Smith about the checks.

Bouchette said law enforcement has not questioned them about the referenced checks.

Dick Harpootlian, one of Murdaugh’s lawyers, declined comment Thursday on any cashier’s checks that Murdaugh may have given Smith.

FRAUDULENT “FORGE” ACCOUNT CHECKS
The last cashier’s check written by Murdaugh to Smith, for $22,109, was the largest of all 17 checks in the October 2020-May 2021 time period that The State and Island Packet viewed. That check was purchased on May 28, just 10 days before Murdaugh’s wife, Maggie, and their son Paul were found shot to death on the grounds of the Murdaugh family home.

The cashier’s checks were:

▪ Four checks totaling $35,686 in October 2020.

▪ One check of $9,049 in November 2020.

▪ Four checks totaling $29,784 in December 2020.

▪ Four checks totaling $39,236 in January of this year.

▪ Three checks totaling $20,106 in February of this year.

▪ One check of $22,109 in May of this year.

All but two of the checks were written in amounts of $8,000 and $9,000. Checks over $10,000 can attract scrutiny by bank officials and law enforcement.

It’s not known what the money was used for. In recent months, Murdaugh’s lawyers have said their client’s financial actions have been largely to support a serious opioid addiction Murdaugh has faced for 20 years.

<snip>

The $160,000-plus in cashier’s checks to Smith were all bought with checks written on Murdaugh’s Bank of America “Forge” account — an account that has been described in legal actions against Murdaugh as being a Bank of America checking account.

https://amp.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article255735281.html
Huge news, I feel like there's going to be an arrest in MM & PM's murders soon.

If CS was his go between maybe he was his go between for other things.

Jmo
Exactly. If he's your go to guy to fake an attack on yourself, then he's probably earned a good degree of trust.

If Curtis is involved somehow in the murders, then he'd have a vested interest in driving law enforcement away from Alex.

It makes sense on a lot of levels.

Exactly. If he's your go to guy to fake an attack on yourself, then he's probably earned a good degree of trust.

If Curtis is involved somehow in the murders, then he'd have a vested interest in driving law enforcement away from Alex.

If CS was involved in the murders, this suicide set up was the opportunity to eliminate the witness, if that were the case.

And don’t forget Curtis himself said in his TV interview that he spoke to Elleck almost every day. It’s starting to be apparent why they needed to talk so often. MOO.

Murdaugh paid $155,970 in 17 cashier's checks to the man who helped him in botched suicide attempt | Daily Mail Online

• Alex Murdaugh, 63, reportedly paid Curtis Smith, 61, more than $155,000 before the men engaged in a life-insurance payout scam in September 2021
  • Murdaugh wrote 17 cashier's checks to Smith, who cashed them in throughout South Carolina between October 2020 and May 2021
  • It suggests the men had a pre-existing financial relationship, which Curtis's lawyers had previously denied
  • It comes as Murdaugh's lawyers filed to dismiss a $4 million lawsuit from the sons of his late housekeeper after he allegedly kept her life insurance pay out

There are those out there that are highly educated, having worked with some brainiacs, yet some lacked common sense. Once watched an R&D engineer stop and count ants crossing sidewalk and some had problems finding car in parking lot.

I think AM got away with stuff just being a M. He probably didn’t have any problem getting an account or two to move money around being a high falutin lawyer in small town Hampton.

Jmo

I have wondered if GS saw or heard something she wasn’t suppose too.

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member