Still Missing HI - Ariel Sellers AKA 'Isabella Kalua', 6, last seen asleep in bdrm, Waimanalo, 12 Sep 2021*Arrests

‘Unbelievable’: Advocates say Isabella’s placement in adoptive home raises serious questions
Advocates also say a criminal record alone should have kept the Kaluas from adopting children and the kids could have been placed with biological relatives.
“One of my concerns is there are apparently competent, available, volunteer members of the biological family who are willing to take these children and who were willing to take the children before they were placed with the Kalua family,” said paralegal child advocate Steve Lane.
“Why didn’t the state look first as they’re required to to the biological family relatives for the placement of these children?”

“The work that Child Welfare Services does with families is most often sensitive and maintaining confidentiality avoids or prevents further trauma on the child/children involved.

This article doesn't explain why Ariel couldn't have been placed with bio family ?
Would have been the better option, imo.
CPS can be secretive but shouldn't be when it comes to a child's safety ?

It sounds like Ariel was failed by many, including HI's CWS.

Imo.

The graphic new details were included in a complaint made public Friday, the same day Isaac and Lehua Kalua made their first appearance in court for the missing girl’s murder.

The two appeared via a livestream from Oahu Community Correctional Center, and allowed their attorney to submit not guilty pleas of their behalf. They didn’t say a word as the state argued that they continue to be held without bail because the crimes they’re charged with carry an extended sentence of life behind bars without the possibility of parole.

Deputy prosecuting attorney Tiffany Kaeo also argued that the Kaluas could be a flight risk.

“Isaac Kalua has ties to the continental United States. He does have prior convictions for assaultive behavior,” said Kaeo.

The judge agreed, which means the two will remain in jail at least until their next scheduled court appearance Nov. 26.

Court documents reveal horrific allegations against adoptive parents charged with murdering girl

Video of court appearance at link-
Thanks for the link, @Knox !
My heart goes out to her siblings as well.
:(

‘Unbelievable’: Advocates say Isabella’s placement in adoptive home raises serious questions
Advocates also say a criminal record alone should have kept the Kaluas from adopting children and the kids could have been placed with biological relatives.
“One of my concerns is there are apparently competent, available, volunteer members of the biological family who are willing to take these children and who were willing to take the children before they were placed with the Kalua family,” said paralegal child advocate Steve Lane.
“Why didn’t the state look first as they’re required to to the biological family relatives for the placement of these children?”

“The work that Child Welfare Services does with families is most often sensitive and maintaining confidentiality avoids or prevents further trauma on the child/children involved.

This article doesn't explain why Ariel couldn't have been placed with bio family ?
Would have been the better option, imo.
CPS can be secretive but shouldn't be when it comes to a child's safety ?

It sounds like Ariel was failed by many, including HI's CWS.

Imo.
You mean the Sellers children CWS worker who was good friends with Lehua :mad:
I've yet to hear anything on that investigation, but you can bet it's coming and whatever the truth is, will be told.

Article reporting biological relatives considering legal action against state. Unfortunately, it may take legal action to force the state to seriously investigate what happened at CWS and in family court that allowed Ariel to be placed in that house of horrors. Also, why was the adoption allowed to sail through the courts and happen so easily? It seems like no one was really checking up. Everything should have been put on hold and serious investigation should have taken place the first time Ariel was injured, too. We really need an investigation. It would be better if a lawsuit wasn't the way to get it done, though.

Biological family of Isabella 'Ariel' Kalua considering legal action against state

Dave99, I so agree with you. I hope that this will bring to light what may be happening in government but also to encourage people to not just talk the talk but take action to be the very good foster parents or adoptive parents that these people were not. So sad. So many people on this island...so many children placed in bad homes. How does that happen?

If it's a homeless person that's found the album and didn't see who dumped it there, it gets a bit less convincing that they'd be suspicious of it and keep a hold of it. If they're homeless they aren't going to want to carry around and store unnecessary things I'd imagine.
ETA- all MOO

This is a pretty wild guess but what occurred to me right away when I read 'homeless person' is that Ariel's bio parents were described as being or having been 'houseless' I think as opposed to 'homeless'. Is it possible that either of them somehow got hold of the album? And for tactical reasons (or something) LE doesn't want to say that it was bio parents? That would explain it being kept. I may be way out on the timeline though. MOO JMO

Here's a very sad, but true, article about the charges and other, similar cases in Hawaii. It also mentions the problem I pointed out in a previous post about how the older sister would have to testify and be cross examined in person, in court, just feet away from these monsters. No closed circuit testifying for minors in Hawaii. There should be, though! That's one big reason so many of these cases get smaller plea bargains...

Prosecutor seeks toughest sentence in child murder case, but legal experts say most end with plea deals

Here's a very sad, but true, article about the charges and other, similar cases in Hawaii. It also mentions the problem I pointed out in a previous post about how the older sister would have to testify and be cross examined in person, in court, just feet away from these monsters. No closed circuit testifying for minors in Hawaii. There should be, though! That's one big reason so many of these cases get smaller plea bargains...

Prosecutor seeks toughest sentence in child murder case, but legal experts say most end with plea deals

I agree with you, Dave, that minor children should be allowed to testify by closed circuit. I was surprised to find out that there are still states that require children to testify in open court for all crimes. It's heartbreaking to think of the poor little 12 year old having to face the Kaluas in court.

It is truly shocking to see the light sentences received by child murderers in Hawaii. It looks like there might be room in the charges for Sonny Kalua to plead down, but I would think only if he disclosed where they disposed (it hurts to type that word) of Ariel. I'm praying that she will be found and that won't be a consideration.

How fast does justice move in Hawaii if the defendant waives the right for a speedy trial? In California we might wait for years for a case to go to trial, but I think that we are one of the slowest states in that regard. I hope that this case will proceed quickly so that the 12 year old will be able to begin her healing.

I agree with you, Dave, that minor children should be allowed to testify by closed circuit. I was surprised to find out that there are still states that require children to testify in open court for all crimes. It's heartbreaking to think of the poor little 12 year old having to face the Kaluas in court.

It is truly shocking to see the light sentences received by child murderers in Hawaii. It looks like there might be room in the charges for Sonny Kalua to plead down, but I would think only if he disclosed where they disposed (it hurts to type that word) of Ariel. I'm praying that she will be found and that won't be a consideration.

How fast does justice move in Hawaii if the defendant waives the right for a speedy trial? In California we might wait for years for a case to go to trial, but I think that we are one of the slowest states in that regard. I hope that this case will proceed quickly so that the 12 year old will be able to begin her healing.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, Hawaii cases like this usually proceed quite slowly, probably similar to California. Part of me hopes that a strong plea deal is struck so that the sibling will not have to testify more than she already has. I believe it's very likely she already has had to go and testify behind closed doors to the Grand Jury last week, which resulted in the Grand Jury indictments.

The other problem is that too many of these child abuse/harm cases in Hawaii have been pled down way too far, resulting in the perpetrators receiving short prison sentences, which, imho, don't match the crime. The Peter Boy Kema case is one of those. JMO MOO

Honolulu Prosecutor Steve Alm did a live stream via The Honolulu Advertiser this morning to discuss the Ariel / Isabella Kalua case. I'm watching it now. Here's the link:

VIDEO: Honolulu Prosecuting Attorney Steven Alm joins the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’s ‘Spotlight Hawaii’ to discuss Isabella Kalua murder case
Replying to my own post to add some comments from Prosecutor Steve Alm's interview:

- Jury trials and Grand Jury in person testimony only started up again this week for the 1st time since Covid shut downs. The case against the Kalua's was the VERY FIRST case the Grand Jury heard. (Great to hear they got their priorities right and moved this case to the front of the line!).

- Over 2,000 felony cases are backlogged due to Covid shut downs. Hawaii Rule 48 says that from the moment someone is charged until their trial should not be more than 180 days. There's no way they can process all those 2,000 cases in time. However, there's an exception to Rule 48 for when something happens due to "Exceptional Circumstances". Alm said he's hoping that the Hawaii Supreme Court will rule that the closure of the courts, jury trials and grand juries due to Covid will qualify as an "Exceptional Circumstance" and that the Supreme Court will rule that the 180 day clock should start now, when trials started up again.

- The prosecutor's office is going to prioritize the case backlog based on sex offenses and violent offences first. If they are forced to dismiss cases due to Rule 48 then they will ask the judges to dismiss the cases "without prejudice" so that the prosecutors can re-charge the cases and bring them back.

My comment - I think Steve Alm is a good prosecutor for us to have here. He is extremely experienced, analytical and fair. He was previously a Hawaii Circuit Court Judge and also a United States Attorney and has a good reputation.

I agree with you, Dave. When I first joined websleuths early in the pandemic, I asked if there was an advocacy board to fight for such changes (child welfare etc) but I honestly think the best space for advocacy is right here in these threads.

I think whatever you can do to make it easier for people to take action helps. I know Change.org is a free petition tool. Not sure if there is a similar function for writing to lawmakers. But a petition on this subject to the Governor or whomever would have similar impact if you wanted to start one on this topic, referencing this horrific case. Now would be a good time to fight for this change as this case is in the news. JMO. Thank you for bringing up this larger issue!

More evidence of how the system failed to protect Ariel. Suspected abuse was reported to the police in July 2019, just 5 months after she first went to live with with the Kaluas, but the police took no action.

‘A clear red flag’: Records show adoptive parents previously investigated for suspected abuse

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Hawaii News Now has learned of three separate abuse investigations involving a Waimanalo couple now accused of killing a 6-year old girl they fostered then adopted.

Isabella ‘Ariel’ Kalua was adopted in January 2021, by Lehua and Isaac Kalua, but the couple had been her foster parents for years prior.

The first investigation triggered a Honolulu Police Department response on July 22, 2019.

The report says a Child Welfare Services caseworker turned over records to HPD about possible abuse but the case was quickly closed.

“After a thorough review of the circumstances, it was determined that there will be no action taken by HPD in this case,” the report synopsis said.

The document continued, “The welfare of the child would best be met by the actions of CWS instead of the HPD” and it said the caseworker had made contact with children. The record said the child “was well cared for.”

Former foster parent and child advocate Stephen Lane said CWS should have also passed on the records to family court.

“Report it to the judge,” Lane said, “Had they done so, a judge in family court in Ariel’s case would have appointed a special master to investigate those allegations.”

More at link

This article is behind a paywall. This is the part that is visible.

Abuse reported years before Isabella Kalua’s death

Honolulu police documented allegations of abuse of Isabella “Ariel” Kalua but took no action when Child Welfare Services received a report in 2019 that the girl was being beaten and starved by her foster parents — more than two years before she is believed to have died.

If a report comes in that a child is being beaten or starved, maybe the parents should be required to take the child to a Pediatrician for an exam. Or at least to a social services office to be examined by a trained registered nurse. Something
more than a social worker popping quickly into the house, because I think social workers are not allowed to examine children's bodies, right?

So this allegation above - that police "took no action" - means what exactly? Literally they took no action? o_O Why? :(

More evidence of how the system failed to protect Ariel. Suspected abuse was reported to the police in July 2019, just 5 months after she first went to live with with the Kaluas, but the police took no action.

‘A clear red flag’: Records show adoptive parents previously investigated for suspected abuse

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Hawaii News Now has learned of three separate abuse investigations involving a Waimanalo couple now accused of killing a 6-year old girl they fostered then adopted.

Isabella ‘Ariel’ Kalua was adopted in January 2021, by Lehua and Isaac Kalua, but the couple had been her foster parents for years prior.

The first investigation triggered a Honolulu Police Department response on July 22, 2019.

The report says a Child Welfare Services caseworker turned over records to HPD about possible abuse but the case was quickly closed.

“After a thorough review of the circumstances, it was determined that there will be no action taken by HPD in this case,” the report synopsis said.

The document continued, “The welfare of the child would best be met by the actions of CWS instead of the HPD” and it said the caseworker had made contact with children. The record said the child “was well cared for.”

Former foster parent and child advocate Stephen Lane said CWS should have also passed on the records to family court.

“Report it to the judge,” Lane said, “Had they done so, a judge in family court in Ariel’s case would have appointed a special master to investigate those allegations.”

More at link

This article is behind a paywall. This is the part that is visible.

Abuse reported years before Isabella Kalua’s death

Honolulu police documented allegations of abuse of Isabella “Ariel” Kalua but took no action when Child Welfare Services received a report in 2019 that the girl was being beaten and starved by her foster parents — more than two years before she is believed to have died.

i suspect they "knew" their caseworker.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back