PA - Penn State student dies after fall into trash chute, 10 Nov 2021

IceIce9

Verified EMT
Reaction score
The 19-year-old's flip-flops and cellphone were found in the 11th-floor stairwell. Police have questioned the man last seen with Justine. He has hired a lawyer and refuses to speak.

She "fell down the trash chute" and he has hired a lawyer and refuses to speak?

I'm just going to ponder that for a while.
Yeah. Something doesn’t ring true about this story.

Dear Lord, how horrible. The kids are getting ready to go home for the holiday too, right.

There's not enough prayers to help this family.

Lawyered up? O.K. is there a tox on that "weed"?

Oh Justine's poor mom. Here come tears. Stunning girl. Doing what most students do. My heart can't stop hurting for Justine's mom.

Last edited:
This makes no sense to me. She sent a message minutes before disappearing down the chute saying "Something just happened". I know someone who lives in an apartment building very near to hers and almost identical who says the trash chute doors are very heavy and not always easy to open. Anxious to see the autopsy report on this one...

It seems like there is video surveillance of Justine in the hallways before and after her visit to the man’s apartment. If someone were chasing her, as her mother speculates, you’d think there’d be some kind of footage showing that person.

Penn State student from N.J. died after 11-story fall through trash chute, mom says

... Justine’s roommates ... say she met a man at the Beaver Terrace apartments last Wednesday night and he gave her a “smoke,” which may have sent the girl into a panic, the mother told NJ Advance in an interview at her Summit home on Thursday.

Francoise Gross said she spoke to the man, who she knew only by his first name, last Thursday, a day after her daughter disappeared. The man told her that Justine freaked out after taking the drug. She later ran to the top floor and jumped into the chute, plunging 11 stories to the dumpster below.

“I said to him, ‘you’re the last one to see my daughter, what happened?’” the mother recalled. “He said, kind of casually, like ‘she came down and I gave her a smoke.’”

Francoise said she was shocked. To her knowledge, Justine didn’t use drugs. “He said she had a really bad reaction, a panic, or whatever and he was trying to take her back to her apartment on the 10th floor.” ...

... Justine’s cell phone and flip-flops were found in the stairwell. And Gross said the police have twice questioned the man, “but he’s now got a lawyer and he’s not talking.” ...

Running. Cell phone and flip-flops found on stairwell.

Why was JG in the stairwells? Surely this apt high-rise has elevators! Did the guy take / force her into the stairwell?

Did she abandon her cell phone and flip-flops so she could run faster? Or were they lost because of a struggle?

I try to not judge guilt or innocence based on hiring an attorney. If there is other evidence of guilt, then maybe I would take it into consideration. I am a paralegal and work for a lawyer and I was just having this conversation with my partner last night. I told her if I were to ever be involved in a murder or missing case, the very first thing I would do is contact a lawyer. It really is the smartest and honestly the best thing you can do.

I try to not judge guilt or innocence based on hiring an attorney. If there is other evidence of guilt, then maybe I would take it into consideration. I am a paralegal and work for a lawyer and I was just having this conversation with my partner last night. I told her if I were to ever be involved in a murder or missing case, the very first thing I would do is contact a lawyer. It really is the smartest and honestly the best thing you can do.

Totally. I’d do the same for my kid, and my colleagues have immediately gotten counsel for their college kids - from possession of a small amount of pot to more serious matters like DUIs. One word out of place in a police interview can be damaging, guilty or not. JMO.

Call me a fool. An uneducated old lady. In no way judging this guy or the lovely Ms. Gross.

Been on my soapbox many of times about these drugs. Have admitted to having a trippy hippy daughter who spills the beans. At least I didn't raise a liar.

You have no clue period today to know what you're shooting, snorting, swallowing, smoking, tripping on.

My heart breaks wide open for a mother searching for answers. Bottom line if anything like in days of old that dude would have watched over her. Least you can do. It's not the same.

Anything nefarious could have happened. Just always try to put it out there you got no clue what you're putting in your body. Da*n shame. It's all a shame for these kids. Especially ones went down a trash chute.

It’s difficult to accidentally enter a trash chute. Hallucinations - the terrifying, panic-inducing ones - would explain it. JMO as someone who attended a few Phish concerts back in the day - seems so quaint compared to today’s substances.

High, drunk or having a M health episode, etc.. the least appealing place to seek comfort is an airless, dark and stinky incinerator room. imo.fwiw.

Horrible story, so sad for Justine's family. I hope they get the answers/truth of what really happened to Justine. There is more to the story. The story by the man last seen with Justine doesn't make sense/add up for me. Glad he retained counsel. All my opinion!

Drugs can do awful things to your mind. Sadly, I can see this awful scenario playing out. RIP Justine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back