OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Real Life Nightmares episode was very well done, kudos to Lori and Kelly @Looking4Brian for encapsulating a ton about the case in under an hour. As someone who’s consumed just about everything podcast and written public content related to the case, a few things stood out to me as semi-revelations:

• Lead detective Hurst said it was (probably?) the biggest investigation in Columbus police history, over 100 officers
  • The amount the non-turned in check was for, $4500
  • Clint declined to talk about the case with the producer. You don’t say?
  • Hurst said he wasn’t never aware of any investigators from CPD talking to Clint’s lawyer at any point.
  • I knew about orange sweater guy, didn’t know he left right on the escalator right behind Clint/Meredith. Still a non factor.
  • Wasn’t aware of the exact locations of the ping in Hilliard until now. There are a lot of empty cornfields and shipping yards nearby… and of course as someone noted Nasty’s.
  • Lori talked to Randy the night before he passed away. Man.
  • The nearby dumpsters emptied and ultimately dropped off in Tennessee. Ouch, this is the biggest bombshell and stings. If he was picked up on Monday before the investigation commenced, and was dumped in Tennessee; As Lori alluded, this could have been the smoking gun and initial slow response on the lead could have botched the whole thing. You hope this didn’t lead to everyone chasing their tails for 15 years.
  • Oh, and Mr. Hurst once again dunked on the possibility of him being in the building, assuring that LE and/or dogs would have found him in a wall, under a floorboard etc.
It’s great that this case continues to get buzz and attention, and it was clear HLN really put their best foot forward diving deep into this. A cold case was recently solved from over 60 years ago. There is always hope, friends

• The nearby dumpsters emptied and ultimately dropped off in Tennessee. Ouch, this is the biggest bombshell and stings. If he was picked up on Monday before the investigation commenced, and was dumped in Tennessee; As Lori alluded, this could have been the smoking gun and initial slow response on the lead could have botched the whole thing. You hope this didn’t lead to everyone chasing their tails for 15 years
Indeed, Not a pretty fact at all. Hopefully some of em’ were checked by R A and D when they headed out looking for Brian on that Sunday, prior of being unloaded..

You said all of that to leave out the fact that there is no evidence he is in the bar? The dog searches? People searches? Site searches?

I don’t like dealing with disingenuous people. That is how you are framing your arguments. There have been private and police searches in that complex. Brian was not found. Could he be there still? Sure, anything possible. You put all of your eggs in one basket on a grainy camera capturing him.

The complex was searched, he wasn’t found.

The entire Earth has not been searched.

How soon after Brian's disappearance was the construction area searched? How soon were the sniffer dogs employed? How much construction had taken place beforehand?

There are several cases of areas that have been searched for missing persons only for the remains to be found years later. Larry Ely Murillo-Moncada's body was found behind the refrigerator of the store where he worked 10 years after he disappeared.

If Brian left the club, what happened to him? Random mugging? The problem with this is that muggers don't generally murder people, and if they do the person is killed on the spot. It would take some effort to move and hide a 6'2" man's body without anyone hearing or seeing anything. Of course it's possible, but probability-wise and victim-profile wise, it's extremely unlikely.

Isn't it coincidental that the one guy not seen leaving the club that night is the one who mysteriously vanishes?

Nov 21, 2021
Missing Ohio State student Brian Shaffer featured on CNN | 10tv.com
''He was last seen wearing jeans, a blue or green striped shirt and tennis shoes.
Shaffer was 27 years old when he went missing and would be now in his 40s. In March, the Ohio Attorney General's Bureau of Criminal Investigation and the Columbus Division of Police released an age-progression photo of Shaffer.''
''In the meantime, Columbus police encourage anyone who has information regarding Shaffer to call 614-645-2358.''

How soon after Brian's disappearance was the construction area searched? How soon were the sniffer dogs employed? How much construction had taken place beforehand?

There are several cases of areas that have been searched for missing persons only for the remains to be found years later. Larry Ely Murillo-Moncada's body was found behind the refrigerator of the store where he worked 10 years after he disappeared.

If Brian left the club, what happened to him? Random mugging? The problem with this is that muggers don't generally murder people, and if they do the person is killed on the spot. It would take some effort to move and hide a 6'2" man's body without anyone hearing or seeing anything. Of course it's possible, but probability-wise and victim-profile wise, it's extremely unlikely.

Isn't it coincidental that the one guy not seen leaving the club that night is the one who mysteriously vanishes?

You may be correct. I may be correct.

My issue is you were purposely dismissive and scoffed at Brian leaving the bar. I don’t understand how that makes any sense. The bar was searched and he was not found. Once again, maybe they missed him. But to put all your eggs into that basket and dismiss the fact that he got out of the bar is ridiculous.

There was another exit and that has been stated ad nauseam. Why is it elaborate to think Brian left through that exit OR he was killed on the complex and put in a dumpster that we now know was taken to Tennessee? I don’t see how any reasonable person could scoff at that.

You may be correct. I may be correct.

My issue is you were purposely dismissive and scoffed at Brian leaving the bar. I don’t understand how that makes any sense. The bar was searched and he was not found. Once again, maybe they missed him. But to put all your eggs into that basket and dismiss the fact that he got out of the bar is ridiculous.

There was another exit and that has been stated ad nauseam. Why is it elaborate to think Brian left through that exit OR he was killed on the complex and put in a dumpster that we now know was taken to Tennessee? I don’t see how any reasonable person could scoff at that.

You're right to say that I am dismissive... when it comes to outlandish scenarios like Brian stumbling on clandestine drug deals or being murdered by the bar staff.

As I said, there have been missing persons cases where areas were searched but the bodies still turned up decades later. Without knowing how much construction took place during the interim between Brian's disappearance and the search of the construction site, we cannot say that the area was cleared. Was ground-penetrating radar never used on the construction site? That could have put this theory to bed. I'm surprised that law enforcement never bothered with it. I guess they were working on the assumption that Brian left the bar and they ran with that.

And just to reiterate, it's too convenient that the one guy unaccounted leaving the bar that night is the one guy who vanishes into thin air.

People think he never cashed it because he planned to run away and not attend school anymore, since it was for tuition.

Was there any mention of how efficient Brian usually was with turning in his tuition cheques? I'd be interest to know whether he was often a bit "last minute" with these things, or if this was highly unusual for him.

You're right to say that I am dismissive... when it comes to outlandish scenarios like Brian stumbling on clandestine drug deals or being murdered by the bar staff.

As I said, there have been missing persons cases where areas were searched but the bodies still turned up decades later. Without knowing how much construction took place during the interim between Brian's disappearance and the search of the construction site, we cannot say that the area was cleared. Was ground-penetrating radar never used on the construction site? That could have put this theory to bed. I'm surprised that law enforcement never bothered with it. I guess they were working on the assumption that Brian left the bar and they ran with that.

And just to reiterate, it's too convenient that the one guy unaccounted leaving the bar that night is the one guy who vanishes into thin air.

I wont stoop to your level in dismissing reasonable theories. It has never been proven Brian went back into the bar, by the way. It has been stated several times there were other exits as well.

And hopefully for the final time: only one detective viewed the tape and accounted for “everyone except Brian.”

Just to get your outlook straight:
- Several investigators, policemen, dogs, etc. searched the Gateway Complex and did not find Brian.
- One detective reviewed footage (blown up on his basement wall) and accounted for everyone except Brian leaving the bar.

You willfully ignore and/or point out flaws in the search done by several people + animals yet put all of your money on the word of one detective? I hope you can finally see how your reasoning is faulty. Your opinion on what happened is perfectly fine, maybe Brian is still in the complex, but your dismissive attitude is clearly rooted in ego opposed to logic.

Maybe this is a silly questions, but how do we know for sure Brian's cell phone was turned off at 2:01am? Is it only because Meredith stated it went straight to voicemail? I have no reason to think she would lie about this, but I suppose, if she were inebriated, her recall could be impacted. Or maybe it rang once then went to voicemail. But could there be other reasons it went straight to voicemail? Aside from poor reception (in the elevator?), there have been times where my phone doesn't ring and the next thing I know I have a missed call that went straight to voicemail. Also, and do not recall what cell phone and service was like in 2006, but could Brian have looked at his phone, saw Meredith was calling, and ended the call before it rang on her end?

I was listening to the Unknown podcast and what really struck me was that only one detective reviewed the available footage and claimed he accounted for everyone. I find that hard to believe, not just because he blew up grainy security footage, but we know there were multiple exits and not all had cameras on them. If we are to believe he accounted for everyone going in and out, as he stated, we have to assume everyone in the bar either entered or exited using a door that had a camera on it. Knowing what we know now, I'm not sure that's a plausible assumption.

I was listening to the Unknown podcast and what really struck me was that only one detective reviewed the available footage and claimed he accounted for everyone. I find that hard to believe, not just because he blew up grainy security footage, but we know there were multiple exits and not all had cameras on them. If we are to believe he accounted for everyone going in and out, as he stated, we have to assume everyone in the bar either entered or exited using a door that had a camera on it. Knowing what we know now, I'm not sure that's a plausible assumption.

That is exactly what I am saying in my exchange with another poster above. How is anyone putting 100% faith into one detective viewing footage or dismissing the fact that Brian could have slipped out another exit. Makes little sense to me but I can’t change anyone’s mind.

I think it's true that one person can miss something, everyone makes mistakes. The footage may have been reviewed 1000 times by this one detective but a fresh pair of eyes often see's something the previous person didn't. I wonder if the last time the full footage was looked at was in 2006?

I wont stoop to your level in dismissing reasonable theories. It has never been proven Brian went back into the bar, by the way. It has been stated several times there were other exits as well.

And hopefully for the final time: only one detective viewed the tape and accounted for “everyone except Brian.”

Just to get your outlook straight:
- Several investigators, policemen, dogs, etc. searched the Gateway Complex and did not find Brian.
- One detective reviewed footage (blown up on his basement wall) and accounted for everyone except Brian leaving the bar.

You willfully ignore and/or point out flaws in the search done by several people + animals yet put all of your money on the word of one detective? I hope you can finally see how your reasoning is faulty. Your opinion on what happened is perfectly fine, maybe Brian is still in the complex, but your dismissive attitude is clearly rooted in ego opposed to logic.

Au contraire. The fact you're triggered by my personal opinion, whilst simultaneously trying to browbeat me into accepting your take on things, would suggest you're the one who's ego-driven.

I've already pointed out numerous times that areas have been searched before and missed bodies. We don't know how much construction took place between Brian's disappearance and the search. And while I accept that the investigator might have missed Brian on the surveillance footage, we cannot rely on an absence of evidence.

I've never read a compelling argument for foul play. There's no motive, no suspect, no clues, no sightings, and contrary to your belief, Brian was not a high-risk murder victim. However, many men have been victims of accidental death after a drunken night out.

Au contraire. The fact you're triggered by my personal opinion, whilst simultaneously trying to browbeat me into accepting your take on things, would suggest you're the one who's ego-driven.

I've already pointed out numerous times that areas have been searched before and missed bodies. We don't know how much construction took place between Brian's disappearance and the search. And while I accept that the investigator might have missed Brian on the surveillance footage, we cannot rely on an absence of evidence.

I've never read a compelling argument for foul play. There's no motive, no suspect, no clues, no sightings, and contrary to your belief, Brian was not a high-risk murder victim. However, many men have been victims of accidental death after a drunken night out.

Agreed. I’ve stated several times you may be correct. I don’t think it’s a bad theory at all. I simply think the path to get there is flawed.

Is it only because Meredith stated it went straight to voicemail? I have no reason to think she would lie about this, but I suppose, if she were inebriated, her recall could be impacted.

I really doubt Meredith would have been inebriated, she was the designated driver.

Also, and do not recall what cell phone and service was like in 2006, but could Brian have looked at his phone, saw Meredith was calling, and ended the call before it rang on her end?

That's feasible. We're always talking about whether Brian wanted to avoid the people he had arrived with for one reason or another. I'm not sure if phone records would have been any good at distinguishing between rejecting the call, the phone having been switched off, or it being out of signal. Data probably can't tell the difference at all. Brian could have rejected the call, forcing it to voicemail... and then immediately turned off his phone to ensure a 2nd attempt wouldn't get through to him either.

Don Corbett was also a great get for the HLN doc. To my knowledge this full email has never been made public until now:

“Mr. Corbett, I have spoken with Clint. Clint has cooperated with the authorities. Clint does not know the whereabouts, or what happened to Brian. The only burning issue with the authorities remains Clint's refusal to be polygraphed. That decision was based on my recommendation and advise to Clint, not because he is, has been misleading or has something to hide, but that he simply has nothing new to tell and was totally up front and honest with them from the beginning. As far as Clint is concerned, this matter is closed. He lost a close friend. The case remains a mystery. I have met with law enforcement and reviewed the videos of the scene as it transpired. This is just simply a confusing and strange set of circumstances. Clint's story has been substantiated by the woman he was with that night, who was polygraphed. I am respectfully asking that you have no further contact with me or Clint from this point on. I understand your desire to have answers to bring this to a conclusion, but unfortunately Clint does not have what you are looking for. If Brian is still alive, which is what I'm led to believe after speaking with the detective involved; then it is Brian, and not Clint who is causing his family pain and hardship. Brian should come forward and end this. Thank you, Neil Rosenberg”

What sloppy language by an attorney. Why would he phrase Brian’s situation as a loss to his friend while also flatly stating that he’s still alive?

If for no other reason, Clint and his suspicious evasiveness will be forever associated with the case in one form or another.

Don Corbett was also a great get for the HLN doc. To my knowledge this full email has never been made public until now:

“Mr. Corbett, I have spoken with Clint. Clint has cooperated with the authorities. Clint does not know the whereabouts, or what happened to Brian. The only burning issue with the authorities remains Clint's refusal to be polygraphed. That decision was based on my recommendation and advise to Clint, not because he is, has been misleading or has something to hide, but that he simply has nothing new to tell and was totally up front and honest with them from the beginning. As far as Clint is concerned, this matter is closed. He lost a close friend. The case remains a mystery. I have met with law enforcement and reviewed the videos of the scene as it transpired. This is just simply a confusing and strange set of circumstances. Clint's story has been substantiated by the woman he was with that night, who was polygraphed. I am respectfully asking that you have no further contact with me or Clint from this point on. I understand your desire to have answers to bring this to a conclusion, but unfortunately Clint does not have what you are looking for. If Brian is still alive, which is what I'm led to believe after speaking with the detective involved; then it is Brian, and not Clint who is causing his family pain and hardship. Brian should come forward and end this. Thank you, Neil Rosenberg”

What sloppy language by an attorney. Why would he phrase Brian’s situation as a loss to his friend while also flatly stating that he’s still alive?

If for no other reason, Clint and his suspicious evasiveness will be forever associated with the case in one form or another.

Clint had Meredith in tow during the most crucial time (the moment Brian disappeared), and for her to be willing to take a polygraph even though she had an attorney by then (when they almost always advise against it)... that's really compelling. She had to have known nothing. It's almost like if Clint did know anything, it couldn't be about any incident (eg. assault gone too far/accident) that happened at that time. It could really only be about Brian having intentions to disappear... if anything.

Maybe an investigator just interrogated Clint too aggressively in the first instance, and his actions afterwards were all about that. It can suck being one of the last people to see someone alive, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member